IGNORED

Dillards 67: It Came From A Can

Georgiana

2 minutes ago, Swamptribe said:

Honestly, I think it comes down to the fact that none of them know what good food is.  They also have absolutely no creativity in them. 

They weren't raised to be creative. They were raised as foot soldiers for God's Army, there's no room for creativity when there are fetuses to save.  They also don't know about good food, because in their view, the Duggars are the best. Chosen by God. So their food is what they know and it's the best. Why try Ethiopian food when you already know that you love green bean casserole and you never get enough of that when you want it? 

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've had Stove Top for many Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners at our house.  Now my mom always made her cornbread dressing for those dinners and it is delicious.  My mother-in-law made Pepperridge Farm stuffing and it turns out a lot like Stove Top, but Stove Top is a bit easier.  Maybe next year, I'll make the PF stuffing and maybe even a small dish of my mom's cornbread dressing, but this year is going to be easy cooking.  I've got a recipe for make-ahead gravy which I'll try to do, but I'll also have a jar of Heinz.  I was going to get some gravy base from Williams-Sonoma, but the reviews range from wonderful to terrible so I'll skip that.  I've also got a recipe from Sara Moulton for make-ahead mashed potatoes.  And if there's no one at Thanksgiving dinner besides my youngest daughter and I, we are going out to eat!

I think this year we are going OUT for Thanksgiving. We can't agree on how much moisture the stuffing needs or which kind of cranberry sauce is best, nor how many meats and vegetables are enough. 

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

I think this year we are going OUT for Thanksgiving. We can't agree on how much moisture the stuffing needs or which kind of cranberry sauce is best, nor how many meats and vegetables are enough. 

We are going out, too.  I actually love planning and cooking a big fancy meal like for Thanksgiving, but sometimes you need a break. 

I'm a cornbread dressing person. Period.

But LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THIS RECIPE I FOUND THAT IS TO DIE FOR!

I swear to all that is holy, that this dressing is PERFECTION. Yes, it uses cream-of-crap soup (yes, I use the low-sodium version), so kiss my ass. :)

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/crock-pot-cornbread-dressing-146944#activity-feed

It's never dried out, perfectly moist, perfectly seasoned. 

@SapphireSlytherin, that recipe sounds similar to my mom's but she always baked her.  She's make some homemade chicken stock out of necks, backs and giblets (not livers though) and use cream of chicken soup only if necessary.  Making her dressing was a family affair.  She's make the cornbread a few days ahead and we kids would crumble it. Then the chopped celery and onion along with the liquid ingredients would get mixed in and the chicken  leftover from the stockmaking.  My dad always grew the sage in his garden.  I've still got some left although the flavor is long gone as it's at least 21 years old.  

@PennySycamore - that's how my mom always made hers. In fact, I could have written exactly what you did except for the sage part (we're poultry seasoning fans). 

I think it's sweet you have some of the sage your dad grew. :) 

3 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

They weren't raised to be creative. They were raised as foot soldiers for God's Army, there's no room for creativity when there are fetuses to save.  They also don't know about good food, because in their view, the Duggars are the best. Chosen by God. So their food is what they know and it's the best. Why try Ethiopian food when you already know that you love green bean casserole and you never get enough of that when you want it? 

Thread drift time.  I went out for Ethiopian food tonight. The red lentils were out of this world delicious. 

I'd like to say me eating cold pasta and sauce out of a bag straight from the fridge with a pair of chopsticks for length is just because I'm moving, but that would be a blatant lie. There are photos, because he found it hilarious that I turned my back to continue eating whilst embarrassed and photos from proper dinner for his instagram. Do I blog this? Is it worthy? Do the masses need to know how to scrunch and roll a gallon bag down with one hand like a pro to not interrupt your snacking?

I also love cranberries, the cran energy juices are my day to day jam.

This discussion is making me hungry.

On thanksgiving, I DO make apple-cranberry sauce, from-scratch green bean casserole, and sausage, sage, and pear stuffing with three different kinds of bread... but my family likes the prepared stuff. I just like, nay, NEED to go all-out and from-scratch for holidays. This year, a pecan-bourbon pie will accompany pumpkin cheesecake on the dessert table. I'm so excited.

There is something beautiful about the processed stuff, in a way, it's so easy and still pretty darn good. And comforting - it's what my grandmother served when she was alive. Dry turkey, canned cranberry sauce, cream of crap green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, stuffing from a box... half of it was inedible, and the other half was disturbingly delicious, as only processed food can be.

8 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

It came from a can, it was put there by a man.

8 hours ago, MsSaylor said:

In a factory downtown

7 hours ago, formergothardite said:

If I had my way I'd eat peaches every day. 

I am highly oblivious (intentionally, for the most part) to nearly all pop culture references of the past thirty years -- it's been about that long since I followed current tv, movies, or music.

But I'm smart enough to recognize when it's time to google!  

I can't tell you how much non-fundy stuff I have learned due to my time on FJ... 

?

My dad made the best homemade stuffing. We always had it at Thanksgiving dinner. I’ve made his recipe on a few occasions in the 3 years since he died and my family agreed it’s *almost* as good as his. I’m not a total stuffing snob though; I like Stove Top, too. I feel like some occasions call for homemade stuffing, however you prefer it and sometimes you just want good old Stove Top. 

i think the pressure of the best thanksgiving and the best xmas dinner can get to parents. at least my parents...some of our nicest xmases are in maui when we are the deck with the water lapping by the ocean and we are eating chicken with salad.  Those were lovely. 

turkey with everything is overdone. a lot like roast pork. 

10 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I made lamb chops tonight, with Cream of Nothing on top.

Mint jelly?

First- I spit my beer all over my computer laughing at the new thread title. Second- stove top is freaking awesome. I consider myself a pretty decent cook, but stove top is the bomb. 

I like to make turkey sandwich’s after the holiday. Thick slices of turkey, stove top stuffing (because we always run out of the home stuff), and cranberry sauce on homemade bread. I sometimes heat it up and pour gravy over the top.

25 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

I like to make turkey sandwich’s after the holiday. Thick slices of turkey, stove top stuffing (because we always run out of the home stuff), and cranberry sauce on homemade bread. I sometimes heat it up and pour gravy over the top.

Sounds delicious but I have to ask, does your holiday leftovers sandwich include a “moist maker” in the middle?* :pb_lol:

*A Friends reference for anyone who doesn’t know what I’m talking about. 

I do Stove Top cuz Hubby often has to work and I can only cook on a limited scale. I make killer smashed potatoes though. Scrub them so the skins are clean. Garlic, butter, sour cream, goat cheese, grated parm and romano and a little heavy cream. They are heavenly. 

Dinner tonight was cooked but mostly prepackaged cuz we were crazy busy. Pork chops that I marinated for an hour in an orange miso glaze from a jar, Uncle Ben's 90 second rice, and sliced up honeycrisp apples. At least it was somewhat balanced and tasted good!! Photos of my masterpiece were not required.

My recipe for meatloaf uses Stove Top stuffing, and Mr. Pibbles and I think it is yummy.  The PibblesGirls, on the other hand, complain mightily.  "Not meatloaf again!  Why don't you make orange chicken instead?"

Every year at Thanksgiving we have a giant potluck get-together for my extended family at my cousin's house (average attendance 40).  Last year I brought roasted brussel sprouts with sliced honeycrisp apples, pecans, and bacon.  Yumm.

Oh, I love Stove Top meatloaf. I make mine in muffin tins. You get perfect individual servings that way, and they are easy to freeze and reheat. 

Stove Top is awesome when you are the only person who eats dressing. 

As far as cranberry stuff I like cranberry relish but hubby likes the canned stuff. So I make my relish and he opens a can. We are both happy. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived