IGNORED

Maxwell 25: Pies, Cakes, Tarts, and Tortes

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

OMFG the latest post... they drew chalk messages on a nearby footpath. Messages include “Jesus is knocking on the door of your heart”, “Read the Bible” and John 3:16.

Hmm, writing on a public footpath?  Aren't there laws against graffiti?

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Hmm, writing on a public footpath?  Aren't there laws against graffiti?

Plus they better get out of the way as people pass. 

Our civic center is part of a complex, including the public library, a park and a fitness trail. The park has paths that wind through the woods and over gullies and there are education stations about nature - types of plants, leaves, animals, etc. I typically walk to the complex  whenever I need to go and I also typically walk the path just for added exercise. Yesterday, I was there to vote. I walked the path, as usual, and there were chalk drawings all over, again as usual. There are buckets of chalk along the path encouraging kids to actively engage. The walk was full of numbers, the alphabet, animals, trees, hopscotch, kid's names, pumpkins, scarecrows, hearts and so much more. 

Not one bible verse to be seen. And I'd bet my life those kids had a great time and managed to learn something along the way. 

Unlike the Maxwell kids who have their religion bashed through their brains from birth and wouldn't know how to draw a leaf they found on the ground or answer a question about the surroundings of the path. 

2 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

OMFG the latest post... they drew chalk messages on a nearby footpath. Messages include “Jesus is knocking on the door of your heart”, “Read the Bible” and John 3:16.

Wouldn't that be a violation of church and state if the bike path was taxpayer funded.  I was like WTF when I read that post.

5 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Nothing warms my heart like a small child scrawling the word 'Repent' on a sidewalk.  

On 11/6/2018 at 4:41 AM, kpmom said:

An early Happy Birthday and an early Happy Retirement, Hane!

My sister retired two years ago and absolutely LOVES it!  She's healthier now than when she was working.  She gets out and walks and swims every morning, something she had no time for in her working years.

Regarding Sarah, I don't think "interesting" is in the Maxwell vocabulary.

I second the "retirement is good for your health" notion. I exercise everyday, and am close to being back to my high school weight. I do not miss those extra 20lbs.

Do they expect people to see the sidewalk chalk, and decide then and there that they need Jesus in their lives? I don't understand... personally if I came upon that, it would make me feel defensive and angry.

It reminds me of my neighbours at halloween this year. They are very religious and have two kids. I walked by their house with my kids as we were trick or treating. The two kids in the house started flashing their outside lights on and off and watching us from their windows and waving, and I thought "OH, how nice. Even though they don't get to participate in the holiday, they are still excited to hand out candy" We go over, the door opens, and their 5 year old tosses a bible tract into my daughter's face, then slammed the door shut in her face. :roll: Conveniently the cowardly parents were nowhere to be seen.

The One In Which Mary Plays With Chalk.

Mary needs a husband and a home. She is so bored she taught herself "Christian Caligraphy"--i.e. "handlettering".

Now, having run out of chalkboards in the house she is now doing this outside. She is so desperate for positive attention from her folks that she's living out the Great Commission with chalk on sidewalks. I do think this is way better than developing a heroin addiction, or better than ringing doorbells and putting the Bible in the way of closing the door. This will rub off with the dew probably tomorrow.

Maybe she can start a neighborhood "Chalk Walk" contest and have another chance to paint faces and make weird creatures out of balloons--or was that Anna or Sarah? 

And, to be fair- I think I'd be just as alarmed by Erin Bates artwork. Leave bare. Then no one needs to be offended.

Do you think many people walking that path and seeing the religious stuff just shake their heads and say "Maxwell's at it again." I mean they must be well-known in their area for their rabid Chistian proselytizing. Am I  right? I'm  looking at you especially Lolly the....Clown. 

Why, oh why, can't they draw hopscotch courts like normal people if they want to write with chalk on sidewalks?

2 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

And, to be fair- I think I'd be just as alarmed by Erin Bates artwork. Leave bare. Then no one needs to be offended.

I should have been more clear. Erin's children colored the bricks on their own sidewalk - just a little stone path that leads to their front porch. To me, that is perfectly harmless and makes for a fun activity and some great photos. 

I would love to go over and write "Allah is the Greatest" in flowery letters on their driveway, to see how they feel about proselytizers. 

Do the dogs that relieve themselves on that sidewalk know where they're going when they die?

In a town near me, the Arts League has an annual sidewalk chalk art contest, and the entries are freaking amazing.  Strangely, none of them ordered me to repent. I feel as if I’m missing out somehow.

4 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Why, oh why, can't they draw hopscotch courts like normal people if they want to write with chalk on sidewalks?

I never pass the chance to jump on one if I see it. Brings me back to childhood just for a minute. 

11 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Wouldn't that be a violation of church and state if the bike path was taxpayer funded.  I was like WTF when I read that post.

Nobody is going to go after little kids drawing and writing with sidewalk chalk. If they did, it would just play into the right wing's Christian persecution complex. In my city, some animal rights activists wrote pro-vegan, anti-meat slogans in front of some of the restaurants in sidewalk chalk. As far as I know, nothing happened to them and the rain washed it all away in a day or two.

21 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

if ol’ Stevie were to meet an unfortunate early demise

There would be a few minutes, twice a day, that she wouldn't be spending preparing Steve's toothbrush.  No telling what sort of chaos that might set off in her mind.

6 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Hopscotch is fun, and therefore incompatible with Maxhell.

Colorado has elected the first openly gay governor in the US. 

Think this will make Steve rethink the yearly family trips? 

41 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Colorado has elected the first openly gay governor in the US. 

Think this will make Steve rethink the yearly family trips? 

Kansas also elected the first lesbian Native American to Congress.  Guess the Maxwells are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

7 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

It's a court?  I love that!  

I didn't know that was the term for the hopscotch grid either until I looked it up on wikipedia.

Just read the post again, and it was done “last month”. So it’s probably disappeared already. 

I remember Melanie Shupe used to do pavement chalk drawings. She’s really good at art. She didn’t ever do religious messages though, that I recall. Even in their fundiest, homeschooling days, the Shupes were a lot more worldly than the Maxwells. But then, that’s not hard.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived