IGNORED

Dillards 66: Appropriate Spaces for Inappropriate People

Georgiana

10 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Well now I miss @OkToBeTakei and her whole canned chicken avatar.

I some how missed the chicken part. If someone does canned chicken that will add even more sodium. 

Let’s assume Jill means canned chicken the size of a standard can of tuna and not a whole canned chicken. (Jill, can sizes would be super useful). Let’s see...Bumblebee brand is the first one I found. 230 mg of sodium per can, 10% daily sodium intake. 3 servings in a can, that’s 690 mg per can. X 3 = 2070 mg

If we add that to the 13,975 mg I got before, that’s 16,045 mg of sodium in the entire dish. Or over 2,674 mg of sodium per serving. Which is over 116% of an adult’s daily sodium intake. 

I'm willing to bet that the two sticks of butter aren't unsalted butter either. If it's Land 'O Lakes, that's another 1440mg of sodium for the full recipe. 

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

I thought it would be more. 

So did I. The bulk of the calories comes from the pasta, then the butter. 

What is a stick of butter anyway? Is it like a block of butter? How much is in a block/container of butter in America? I think here it is 400-500g block of butter. I just can't imagine a whole block of butter, let alone two, being used, so I am assuming a 'stick' is some different unit of measurement in America.

At the weekend, I was following a blog recipe I found on pinterest. I totally messed it up, and got all kinds of confused over how much a 'cup' is meant to be. With every ingredient, I was opening a new tab to google and reading down through the hit results got me even more confused, every one was giving different answers. And I couldn't work out if there was a difference between a UK cup and American cup size. Anyway, I ended up with way too much stock that never boiled off completely even with having it on twice as long. 

1 minute ago, Imaginary_Wonderland said:

What is a stick of butter anyway? Is it like a block of butter? How much is in a block/container of butter in America? I think here it is 400-500g block of butter. I just can't imagine a whole block of butter, let alone two, being used, so I am assuming a 'stick' is some different unit of measurement in America.

According to Google a stick is usually 110grams.

We have 250gr blocks here in the Netherlands and the idea of putting almost a whole block of butter in disgusts me. And I love butter.

9 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

The SyFy Channel show? Do you have it on DVD, or is it available to watch somewhere? I watched the last 2 seasons on SyFy, but it would be fun to go back and see the whole thing from the first episode.

Re: Eureka

All five seasons are available for free if you have Amazon Prime Video.  If you don't have it but know someone who does, Amazon allows the account to be shared with one other household. 

I get to use my daughters, and she lives 50 miles away, so I guess distance isn't much of a problem.  However, I don't buy any videos on her account unless I've cleared it with her first.  In the last three years, I've only rented movies twice, so you want to discuss that if you share someone else's account or if you have an account and you want to give another household access to it.

1 hour ago, CarrotCake said:

Also, who cooks with canned soup anyway? You either eat it as a quick soup or you don't eat it at all.

It's pretty much an American thing from what I've seen. Campbell's   has done an amazingly good job of convincing people to not just eat their soups, but make them the basis of TONS of recipes. I've never been anywhere else in the world where canned soup was regularly used as the basis for recipes. But that's incredibly successfull marketing for ya. Lots of people grew up on cream-of-whatever-soup based recipes, and for many (like Jill) it seems to be a difficult habit to break. Even though, these days, it's hardly a secret how unhealthy they are.

2 hours ago, Rowan said:

I'm willing to bet that the two sticks of butter aren't unsalted butter either. If it's Land 'O Lakes, that's another 1440mg of sodium for the full recipe. 

Oy. You’re right...she probably uses salted. Ughhh. Jill really needs to get better at specifying things if she wants to share her monstrosities. 

Edit: If she used salted that’s

17,485 mg of sodium in the entire dish. Or over 2,914 mg of sodium per serving. Which is over 126.7% of an adult’s daily sodium intake. 

How are they not all dead?

Yes Jill, salt to taste. Because you can’t taste the salt already.

2 hours ago, Imaginary_Wonderland said:

At the weekend, I was following a blog recipe I found on pinterest. I totally messed it up, and got all kinds of confused over how much a 'cup' is meant to be. With every ingredient, I was opening a new tab to google and reading down through the hit results got me even more confused, every one was giving different answers. And I couldn't work out if there was a difference between a UK cup and American cup size. Anyway, I ended up with way too much stock that never boiled off completely even with having it on twice as long. 

America likes to confuse everyone with our measurement system. It makes no sense, but we’re sticking with it! Because FREEDOM. Or something.

2 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

America likes to confuse everyone with our measurement system. It makes no sense, but we’re sticking with it! Because FREEDOM. Or something.

Agreed.  As an American born adult, this measuring system makes little sense.  A cup of flour can be so varied... weight just makes more sense. Is it Americans being lazy?  Just wanting to scoop an amount instead of weighing it?  I’m not sure. 

12 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

There is likely a witness and notary requirement for POA execution no matter the state, anyone noticing coercion should not agree to participate. Yes, manipulation of susceptible people can be a risk though. Why would you be afraid to say no if you didn't want to grant the power? I would think that anybody trying to coerce me didn't have my best interests in mind.

General POAs aren't accepted everywhere for everything. My mom's pension provider required their own form, as did the bank. Some attorneys think they are actually of limited usefulness. Medical POAs may have more clout, no provider ever questioned my moms.

Many states now require people to accept POAs. Just FYI

12 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

The SyFy Channel show? Do you have it on DVD, or is it available to watch somewhere? I watched the last 2 seasons on SyFy, but it would be fun to go back and see the whole thing from the first episode.

I'm glad you're cuddled up with Big Stupid and that you have a plan to see your doctor on Friday. :my_heart:

Amazon Prime video!!!!

My husband has caught the geek virus. When it was on Syfy, he didn't want to watch it...now, dude is all up into Eureka, Fringe, X-Files, Now if only I could find Warehouse 13. He's watching something that's from Marvel Universe too. The aliens got hold of that man and turned him from a screaming, alcoholic spoiled brat into a sweet, loving, sober geek...they do good work!!!! 

There is one recipe that I use cream of mushroom soup. I make a chicken, rice, and broccoli casserole, that has a creamy gravy-type base. I could make a mushroom gravy, but since there are several other steps to put this together, I use a can. It does have its uses, if one chooses to skip steps- in moderation. Three cans in a spaghetti dish, with a CUP of butter, is not moderation. 

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:05 PM, AliceInFundyland said:

@PennySycamore Yeah, we just took her. It was shortly before September 11. I don’t quite understand, in retrospect, how we got away with it. I don’t think we filled out forms or anything. She did go through the x-ray. There were definitely some hairy eyeballs. Emotional support hamsters don’t have a chance in these times.  My bird had to get all cleared and tested and registered and stuff. A snake in a lap is way too unregulated.

Pre 9/11 - we flew home from Ireland with two 5foot long broad swords as "carry on". 

49 minutes ago, OhNoNike said:

Agreed.  As an American born adult, this measuring system makes little sense.  A cup of flour can be so varied... weight just makes more sense. Is it Americans being lazy?  Just wanting to scoop an amount instead of weighing it?  I’m not sure. 

I think there are also liquid measuring cups and dry goods measuring cups. So I am FOREVER getting this wrong. I would take the metric system over the cups and ounces ANY day. 
I know how many grams are in a pound - I really don't KNOW how many ounces (and are they fluid ounces?) are in a cup. 8? 12? how many ounces in a pound? 12? I dunno.

I definitely agree that the imperial system of measurement is a headache to deal it. For those that use the metric system for baking, how do you measure amounts? Do you use a kitchen scale? 

Her recipe makes me sick just thinking about it. With two sticks of butter it must be disgustingly greasy. I’m just thinking about how the leftovers would congeal in the refrigerator. I would say that the Rotel, which is typically used in Mexican dishes would not match the seasonings and flavor of an Italian dish but matching complementary seasonings is probably a foreign concept to Jill. 

@Imaginary_Wonderland, this might help:  a stick of butter is 11.43 cm long and is 113.4 grams. In the US, they’re sold in four-packs weighing a pound. So two sticks are half a pound or 226.8 grams. That’s a lot of butter.....

63D32D20-F77F-4DD5-84E4-319640EADA90.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Meggo said:

I think there are also liquid measuring cups and dry goods measuring cups. So I am FOREVER getting this wrong. I would take the metric system over the cups and ounces ANY day. 
I know how many grams are in a pound - I really don't KNOW how many ounces (and are they fluid ounces?) are in a cup. 8? 12? how many ounces in a pound? 12? I dunno.

There are. A measuring cup for liquid is generally clear glass (or plastic) with measurements marked on the sides.

Measuring cups for solids are little "buckets" with a volume measurement, typically sold in 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, and 1-cup sets.

There are 8 fluid ounces in a cup. (volume)

There are 16 ounces in a pound. (weight)

STP_MeasuringDevices_02.jpg

2 hours ago, JillyO said:

It's pretty much an American thing from what I've seen. Campbell's   has done an amazingly good job of convincing people to not just eat their soups, but make them the basis of TONS of recipes. I've never been anywhere else in the world where canned soup was regularly used as the basis for recipes. But that's incredibly successfull marketing for ya. Lots of people grew up on cream-of-whatever-soup based recipes, and for many (like Jill) it seems to be a difficult habit to break. Even though, these days, it's hardly a secret how unhealthy they are.

It's almost quite extraordinary what they've convinced people to use their soups for. Especially here in the Midwest where casseroles are so popular. The only casserole I know to make is a take on tator tot casserole but the base is that of a chicken pot pie instead of ground meat/soup. Everyone I've served that too seems shocked that there's not a single can of soup in it. 

I'm not completely against soups for cooking. I'll admit that I like my pork chops in cream of mushroom soup every now and then, but it's not hard to Google recipes that don't contain them.  And that's what I don't get about Jill. She has no job, friends, or hobbies. She doesn't have the time to get on the internet and look up some new recipes? 

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:44 AM, elliha said:

On the different issues regarding child raising my daughter got to stay outside on her own while I got ready from about 3. She was outside on her own for about 15-20 mins most of the time. I let her brother do this together with her from about 1.5 years of age but he doesn't get to do that on his own yet (he is just over 2). My rule for this is that this can happen at the earliest when they can open the big door to our apartment building on their own which happened at about 3 for my daughter and I guess my son will be able to at about the same age. From when my daughter was 4 she could play outside at the playstructure outside our apartment building. At age 5 she got to go to the two nearest yards to ours (also apartment buildings around and all owned by the same company so kids can all play there). Cars can drive there but they are generally observant and drive slowly so I am not scared of the kids being run over. Now that she is 6 she goes to the nearby park and to the yard of a friend a about half a block away. She is asking to go to the store on her own too but that might take a couple months before I feel brave enough to let her do that. It is a couple blocks away and while there are some streets to cross there some car free areas too and all the streets have good side walks and she knows the way. It is more about me being brave that her not being ready.

When she gets to be a bit older I will buy her a non-smart phone to bring with her if she goes further away but now she is close enough to home that I don't feel we need that. When she is older, closer to a teen, I will let her have a smartphone. I would not dream of tracking her, that seems very much like crossing the line. These tracking apps always make me think of abusive spouses who wants to know where the other one goes and stay in control all the time. I think it is acceptable as a device to allow say criminals back into society but not as part of a relationship whether parent-child or for a couple. I may consider it with a teen that has severe issues like being at risk of suicide or who is heavy into drugs or so but for a normal family just calling or texting seems like more than enough. I don't even want to know everything my kid is doing just like I don't want them to know everything about me. Yes, it is scary to let them go out into the world but it is also natural and healthy for them to do that and want to do that.

You're Sweden? You can't do that in the US, I'm pretty big on free range parenting and I'm cool with elementary age kids about 7 or 8 being allowed limited supervision for periods of time but even I cringed in horror at the idea of a 3 yr old and 18 month old outside with out a parent, this will get you arrested here in the states.  It just isn't safe for kids that young here to be outside unless they are in a fenced in back yard with no way for them to get out AND you can keep a somewhat eye on them.  I envy the safety you feel in your country, it must be amazing to not fear for your child every second they are out of your site.

I've also read that somewhere in your neck of Europe that sleeping babies are left outside in the cold for fresh air. I love the idea but again, terrifying that babies are left unsupervised.  The difference in the cultures is fascinating you don't think twice about it and neither does anyone else.  It obviously isn't a big deal where you are as we don't hear about children being murdered or abducted from your area on a daily basis like we do here in the US.  Again it must be so nice to not have to worry so much about such things.

18 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I've also read that somewhere in your neck of Europe that sleeping babies are left outside in the cold for fresh air. I love the idea but again, terrifying that babies are left unsupervised.  The difference in the cultures is fascinating you don't think twice about it and neither does anyone else.  It obviously isn't a big deal where you are as we don't hear about children being murdered or abducted from your area on a daily basis like we do here in the US.  Again it must be so nice to not have to worry so much about such things.

In Denmark babies nap outside, because fresh air is good for them. The prams are so long that technically a child could nap in them until age 2. You can leave your pram on the street (as in pavement) outside cafes while you eat inside. 

No one would steal, abduct, or murder a baby/child in a pram here. 

Holy Butter Batman! I could bake a batch of my banana cupcakes AND make the nutmeg frosting with the amount of butter Jill uses. 

I've threatened to call the police in the past but we need a full-blown ministry to remedy Jill's cooking. Who's gonna take one for the team and evangelize to  Sweet Jilly Muffin about the transformative powers of seasoning? 

26 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

In Denmark babies nap outside, because fresh air is good for them. The prams are so long that technically a child could nap in them until age 2. You can leave your pram on the street (as in pavement) outside cafes while you eat inside. 

No one would steal, abduct, or murder a baby/child in a pram here. 

I learned from Call the Midwife that this used to be done in London as well.   My mom is British and said that used to be a thing (peaks too big to get through many doors, small shops, plus fresh air good for babies, etc.). 

Of Course on Call the Midwife, someone took a baby, but it wasn’t the norm. 

Leaving babies outside to "air" was also a thing in the USA. My grandmother always let her babies nap outside on a blanket in the shade of a tree. This was in the 30s/40s.

If you are referring to organizations being required to accept properly executed powers, that would be a good thing.

2 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

Many states now require people to accept POAs. Just FYI

My son slept amazing well in a portable crib on the (screened in) porch at our cottage. Probably the ONLY time he ever really did well at napping. (he's 5 now). 
I think babies NEED fresh air. I don't think I'd leave them unattended - but ....

1 hour ago, catlady said:

@Imaginary_Wonderland, this might help:  a stick of butter is 11.43 cm long and is 113.4 grams. In the US, they’re sold in four-packs weighing a pound. So two sticks are half a pound or 226.8 grams. That’s a lot of butter.....

63D32D20-F77F-4DD5-84E4-319640EADA90.jpeg

Thank you!!! That helps to know what Jill actually means. Definitely not as much as I was imagining it to be, but still a lot more than necessary for that recipe.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived