IGNORED

Dillards 66: Appropriate Spaces for Inappropriate People

Georgiana

The post (from November 2, 2015) that @JPattiis referring to:

He specifically included a hashtag about gaining weight, so it’s very likely @JPattiis correct and Derick needed to put on a bit of weight around that time for some reason.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I can't fault DEWreck there. There's nothing better than a nice bread, (zucchini is my fave) toasted, drenched in butter, for a snack. Can't have it too often, but yum!

You know, there are a fair amount of people out there who are looking to gain weight or eat an excess of calories.  There actually aren't a wide range of blogs that provide recipes specifically for those folks (most that I've seen are definitely geared for specific lifestyles, like gains with lifting).  There especially aren't a lot of blogs that provide recipes that can be used to help adults gain weight WHILE ALSO being toddler-friendly, company friendly, or something that appeals to a wide range of tastes.

This is a real niche that Jill could exploit in her blog since she's had experience with Derick.

I know I'm not the only person with grandparents that are in declining health and that struggle to keep weight on. I'd LOVE some recipes with tons of calories I could take to them or could serve at holidays so they could keep the leftovers.  There are tons of families where one or more members might benefit from such a meal...but they have kids who are typical kids when it comes to food, and they don't have time to cook two meals.  Basically, there are people who could really use these sorts of tips and tricks, if only Jill were smart enough to provide them and use a bit of basic nutritional knowledge to refine them into something more healthy.  

If Jill would stop trying to be Jessa and instead look to what sort of things she uniquely could provide, I think she'd find she has more of a niche open to her than she thinks.  She just has to stop trying to be someone she's not.  

11 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

If Jill would stop trying to be Jessa and instead look to what sort of things she uniquely could provide, I think she'd find she has more of a niche open to her than she thinks.  She just has to stop trying to be someone she's not.  

That's a huge downfall of training individuality out of your children in deference to group/parent/Gothard think. I don't think Jill has figured out who she IS-

Someone on Wreck's twitter said that Jill's "spaghetti" recipe was unhealthy and could cause heart disease and he replied "YOLO"

:pb_lol: 

I agree with @Georgiana, there are niches she would be good at. Having gone through the long process of #weightgaingoals it is hard, it does require changes to your diet and eating habits. There aren't a lot of resources on it either, usually just your nutritionist, so if anyone does need resources or high nutrition and high calorie ideas pop me a PM. There are so many tips they could share on that, eat every two hours, here is our typical snacks. 

If she's going to stick with mommy blog, I love when people share photos of their little kids balanced snacks, because I too will eat half a peanut butter and banana eggo waffle accompanied by grapes and cheese cubes.  Show me the homemade lunchables, tell me how much cheaper it is and how it's healthier for your kids and the planet. Show me the smiley faces you press into your kids' toast, the stab it orange straw and your cute kid drinking his juice directly from the fruit. Bring back Jason's pickle recipe with a new twist.

Not sure if any of you guys who are looking to add more calories/fat to a diet would find this helpful, but I’m currently finishing up nursing school and have been taking care of a lot of kids with cystic fibrosis. They tend to need a high fat diet while being kid friendly. This is a website that has some recipes: 

https://www.chef4cf.com/recipes

59 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Someone on Wreck's twitter said that Jill's "spaghetti" recipe was unhealthy and could cause heart disease and he replied "YOLO"

Honestly, I kind of like that he's being a little snarky in defense of his wife.

I like sterek defending his wife and being a little snarky. It's good to see him standing up for his family even if it's only in these tiny ways

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Yeah...but generally, most people aren't trying to shorten their lives. But whatever you want Derick!

I think if I'm going to YOLO with rich food there are tastier options than Jill's cooking. It was my birthday a couple of days ago. I celebrated with escargots, a 10 oz rare prime rib, a twice baked potato with bacon in it, red wine and chocolate cake with a gooey custard filling. It was delicious.

7 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I think if I'm going to YOLO with rich food there are tastier options than Jill's cooking. It was my birthday a couple of days ago. I celebrated with escargots, a 10 oz rare prime rib, a twice baked potato with bacon in it, red wine and chocolate cake with a gooey custard filling. It was delicious.

Happy BELATED birthday !!

18 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I celebrated with escargots

snails? really? I think I'd rather eat spaghetti á la Jill ....

(YES to choclolate cake with custard filling though!)

1 hour ago, mstee said:

Not sure if any of you guys who are looking to add more calories/fat to a diet would find this helpful, but I’m currently finishing up nursing school and have been taking care of a lot of kids with cystic fibrosis. They tend to need a high fat diet while being kid friendly. This is a website that has some recipes: 

https://www.chef4cf.com/recipes

Thank you for that! My daughter is 5’ 2” and weighs 91 lbs right now. We had gotten her up to 96 but things got busy and making sure she was eating enough kind of got forgotten. We’re back to trying to make sure she eats every two hours. I also add olive oil to her pasta before sauce. She only drinks whole milk but not a lot as she doesn’t really like it. She is extremely picky (autistic), so feeding her is a struggle. 

11 minutes ago, Kailash said:

Thank you for that! My daughter is 5’ 2” and weighs 91 lbs right now. We had gotten her up to 96 but things got busy and making sure she was eating enough kind of got forgotten. We’re back to trying to make sure she eats every two hours. I also add olive oil to her pasta before sauce. She only drinks whole milk but not a lot as she doesn’t really like it. She is extremely picky (autistic), so feeding her is a struggle. 

I hear you.  My autistic son will go for a while eating everything in sight and gain weight.  Then, for some unknown reason, will stop eating all of his former favorites and lose 20 pounds in a few months.  Right now he is haveing feeding therapy through his speech therapist to see if we can get him to eat anything other than chicken nuggets.  It’s a struggle.  

(Btw...Jill’s food is still gross.)

@Timetostoplurking Funny you mentioned chicken nuggets. Chicken nuggets from Wendy’s is the ONLY meat my child eats, consistently. And they have to be fresh. (We ask and the one closest to our house is incredibly awesome and makes them fresh for her.) We go there literally every single day. 

I read a good article written by an autistic woman about food and eating. It explains the struggles she has. I found it really helpful in trying to understand. 

https://network.autism.org.uk/knowledge/insight-opinion/autism-and-controlled-eating

23 minutes ago, Kailash said:

@Timetostoplurking Funny you mentioned chicken nuggets. Chicken nuggets from Wendy’s is the ONLY meat my child eats, consistently. And they have to be fresh. (We ask and the one closest to our house is incredibly awesome and makes them fresh for her.) We go there literally every single day. 

I read a good article written by an autistic woman about food and eating. It explains the struggles she has. I found it really helpful in trying to understand. 

https://network.autism.org.uk/knowledge/insight-opinion/autism-and-controlled-eating

Thank you so much for the article.  Sometimes I forget that I’m not alone in this.   

My my son prefers McDonald’s but will eat any deep fried breaded chicken.  I can even make then at home in a deep fryer.  (Although I cringe every time I turn it on. It seems so greasy to me). 

1 hour ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Excuse me while I sit over here breathing heavily and dreaming of this meal you've just described. I can not emphasize enough that there are infinite possibilities when it comes to indulgent eating that are vastly preferable in comparison to the empty-calorie laden shit that Jill cooks. Honestly, I'd probably rather go hungry if I were faced with most of the recipes from her blog. 

1 hour ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

First Happy belated birthday. Second of all: that dinner sounded amazing!!!

@Timetostoplurking You’re lucky in that he’ll eat any breaded fried chicken. I tried to trick my daughter into eating McDonald’s nuggets one time, by buying the nuggets and putting them in a Wendy’s nugget cup thing. She smelled them and said “Yuck!” She wouldn’t touch them. 

4 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

That's actually pretty funny

4 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

snails? really? I think I'd rather eat spaghetti á la Jill ....

(YES to choclolate cake with custard filling though!)

They're definitely not for everybody. My partner and I shared them, but my folks passed. My dad dipped some of his bread into the spiced garlic butter that they're served in. The melty butter is what makes them delicious, but I can understand where the ick factor comes from.

@ShebrewDefrauder and @SassyPantswithASideofClass, to make the meal even better, we at it on a heated rooftop patio sitting next to a fire.

@VeryNikeSeamstress, escargot are mollusks just as clams  and scallops are.  People don't cringe when they eat sea mollusks (In general, that is).  I must confess that I've never eaten escargot and  likely never will since I'm vegetarian,  but I really don't understand why eating snails is regarded differently than eating sea mollusks.  This conversation reminds me of this classic clip from I Love Lucy:

I went on my high school French trip in 2005. During our last night in Paris, I had escargot. I was skeptical at first, but they were delicious! Albeit, the butter really helps. They kind of reminded me of the texture of mushrooms, but you guys are right, more like a scallop. I would definitely eat them again.

And that clip of Lucille Ball is the BEST.

@PennySycamore the odd thing about me is that I don't eat any seafood or shellfish, but I like escargots. I've never developed a taste for seafood, but will sample it if it's fresh and local. Growing up with a mom who has an aversion to fish and in a city that isn't on the ocean means my exposure to it is limited.

My partner's aunt showed her a video of snail sex, and she wasn't able to eat snails for awhile after that. The ones we shared on my birthday were the first she'd eaten since watching the snail sex video.

I've tried frogs legs too, they're like little chicken wings. I've also tried oysters and chicken feet. As long as the seasoning on something smells good, I'm open to trying it.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived