IGNORED

Dillards 66: Appropriate Spaces for Inappropriate People

Georgiana

24 minutes ago, MaJessatic said:

I'm SO tempted! I've yet to find something DaJessatic won't eat...
I don't know what Rotel is though, or if it's available here. 

Google's telling me it's a brand of sound system. Thanks, google. Helpful. 
Oh no wait apparently they're spicy tinned tomatoes? Well, we don't have spicy tinned tomatoes, but I could add some chilli flakes, I guess. 

Someone talk me out of this, I'm supposed to be cleaning the house. 

Do it! Do it! I want to see what it looks like ? and I want to know if DaJessatic will eat it!

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still laughing over "SALT and pepper" to taste. Like anything could save this dish.

1 minute ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm still laughing over "SALT and pepper" to taste. Like anything could save this dish.

Well just in case you wanted to get to a week's worth of sodium intake in one hastily put together meal.

What the flying monkey fuck was that? Ewwwwwww. That would be so fucking greasy. Like Derick's hair before he cut it, greasy.

21 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

True, but there are concerns within the disability community of parents gaining POA over their child and forcing procedures on their children. For example, the To Siri, With Love author stated that she wanted POA over her autistic son when he turned 18 so she could make him get a vasectomy. She didn’t think he would be able to handle kids and didn’t want him to accidentally get someone pregnant, as she thought he didn’t know where babies come from. A lot of people were outraged. This was something she considered when he was 13. So she assumed he’d have the same competence as an adult as he did when he was 13. Which is ridiculous, if you look at any 13 year old they’d be a bad parent. And if he doesn’t know where babies come from, well whose fault is that? 

I did read the book, but I kept up with the controversy and read excerpts. She assumed her son didn’t know where babies came from because when his twin brought up the subject he’d blush or something and never stated that he knew. So that could have simply been he found it super embarrassing to talk about and his brother was doing what siblings do - make fun of each other and embarrass them. She also compared making her son her a vasectomy to eugenics (it seemed like a strangle ramble that didn’t go anywhere...)

So it is intended for situations when someone can’t make a decision like they’re unconscious, but it can be abused.

I definitely don't think anyone should have the right to impose an unwanted POA on anyone who is competent to make their own decisions. Anyone who is competent should be able to choose who to grant a POA to and have it be someone they genuinely trust. But I can see how it can be abused if the person who wants to have POA has a history of pressuring the other person and guilting them, etc. The "why don't you trust me, you *know* I have your best interests at heart" kind of thing when it's patently untrue to the person being pressured but who doesn't feel or isn't able to say no.  

It's a fine line. Being able to ensure the right people can make decisions for you is very important, and the ability to do so needs to be maintained, but it is a system that can also be easily abused when the WRONG people get that ability. Unfortunately I know I definitely don't have any good ideas for how to make it a safer situation for people who are vulnerable to that abuse.

16 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I've wondered if some good ol' ballet slippers would encourage me to use my foot muscles better.  

I'm glad you're mostly recovered - but I wanted to remind you of that flippin' heel seam on ballet shoes. It can be quite painful/irritating when you're not used to it.

I wonder if some Isotoner brand house slippers would do the same for you, sans the seam?

25 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

I still can't get over that recipe.

I mean honestly if you want to have spaghetti with tomato sauce, even just boiling pasta and adding Ragu (with some chicken if you must) is surely better than this monstrosity?

I like Rau's pasta sauce.  For getting dinner on the table fast, not too many meals beat spaghetti.  Cook the pasta while browning ground beef, or sauteeing chicken.  Remove the cooked beef/chicken from the pan, toss in some butter or oil and saute sliced mushrooms, bell peppers, and/or zucchini.  Drain the pasta, add the meat and veg, and top with the sauce, warm gently a couple minutes, serve with a salad.  Boom, done.  Way easier than opening 5 different cans and wasting a ton of butter.

ETA:  Nowadays, instead of regular pasta, I use shiritaki noodles, but otherwise, this is something I make often.

As far as I've seen,  Jill's nutrition is far worse that what was dished up at the TTH.  If she keeps this up, she will rue the day her metabolism goes south.

22 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Jigsaw3,  I read a recipe for roasted tomato sauce recently and that recipe and your recipe sound so easy and so delicious!

@HarryPotterFan,  I'm 99.9% recovered from my stroke.  My handwriting is not quite as good as it was and I do have a bit of foot drop on occasion, but otherwise I'm fine.

For my handwriting, crossword puzzles help as does coloring.  I've wondered if some good ol' ballet slippers would encourage me to use my foot muscles better.  

I’m glad you’re mostly recovered/doing well!! As for the ballet slippers I can ask my brother who is currently in residency for that sort of thing if that would help, lol.

20 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Because the dish REALLY needs more sodium 

12 minutes ago, artdecades said:

that photo looks so watery too. how could something be so creamy and so watery at the same time?

I feel gross even typing this but having never come across canned chicken much less used it, is there a lot of...chicken juice/water in the can? 

3 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

I feel gross even typing this but having never come across canned chicken much less used it, is there a lot of...chicken juice/water in the can? 

It's like canned tuna, with regard to juice/water in the can.

Edit:  When cooking with canned chicken, one drains the liquid.

1 minute ago, AtlanticTug said:

I have bought canned chicken a couple times.  I think it was by Swanson (not sure).  It was chunks of mostly breast meat in a light broth, which I drained off.  It wasn't bad but have since decided I'd rather use rotisserie chicken or bake my own.

See what I don't get, is like pasta is the easiest thing in the world. You really don't have to make homemade sauce if you don't want to. If you want to be super-basic, it's a box of pasta, a jar of sauce, and some sprinkle parm. if you want to be "fancy." You can doctor that up with ground beef, onion, garlic, veggies, or sausage, and fresh parm. shavings. That's how I do it probably half the time. You can go even further and make your own tomato sauce, which is a couple of cans of tomatoes with additional ingredients, which is fun to make when you've got some extra time.  Like why? Why with the soup mixes? WHY? 

32 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

I definitely don't think anyone should have the right to impose an unwanted POA on anyone who is competent to make their own decisions. Anyone who is competent should be able to choose who to grant a POA to and have it be someone they genuinely trust.

POAs have to be granted (signed by the person assigning the power) and cannot be imposed. If someone wants to control the affairs of another without their consent, they need legal guardianship. POAs can also be revoked by the grantee. No medical care provider will perform a procedure on the basis of a POA when the person doesn't want it as long as the person makes their wishes clear.

14 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Maybe she’s trying to assassinate Derick with her cooking

Doesn't someone have to be "famous" to be considered assassinated?

I want to know what Derick plans on doing after graduating from law school. There is a difference between taking a test and getting yourself admitted to graduate school. Yes, it is an accomplishment and I do give Derick a lot credit for that, really. I also wish he’d speak more about the reasons for his significant life changes. However, many people have trouble adjusting from academic life to the workplace. I get the feeling that Derick is one of these people. There is no handholding and there’s no syllabus to follow. I want to know what his interests are and what he imagines himself doing. If he wants to be a lawyer for himself, that takes opening up shop and capital, which they don’t have right now. If he wants to work for someone else, he has to start networking with other attorneys and get internships.

18 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

Well now I miss @OkToBeTakei and her whole canned chicken avatar.

I some how missed the chicken part. If someone does canned chicken that will add even more sodium. 

Let’s assume Jill means canned chicken the size of a standard can of tuna and not a whole canned chicken. (Jill, can sizes would be super useful). Let’s see...Bumblebee brand is the first one I found. 230 mg of sodium per can, 10% daily sodium intake. 3 servings in a can, that’s 690 mg per can. X 3 = 2070 mg

If we add that to the 13,975 mg I got before, that’s 16,045 mg of sodium in the entire dish. Or over 2,674 mg of sodium per serving. Which is over 116% of an adult’s daily sodium intake. 

Shit, we had spaghetti last night. 
I used half a kilo of beef mince, half an onion, Quite A Bit of garlic, a jar of passata, a couple of spoons of tomato paste, and various herbs for the sauce. Took half an hour. Pow, done. Small ate seconds, and there's enough left over for lunches today. 

3 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

I want to know what Derick plans on doing after graduating from law school. There is a difference between taking a test and getting yourself admitted to graduate school. Yes, it is an accomplishment and I do give Derick a lot credit for that, really. I also wish he’d speak more about the reasons for his significant life changes. However, many people have trouble adjusting from academic life to the workplace. I get the feeling that Derick is one of these people. There is no handholding and there’s no syllabus to follow. I want to know what his interests are and what he imagines himself doing. If he wants to be a lawyer for himself, that takes opening up shop and capital, which they don’t have right now. If he wants to work for someone else, he has to start networking with other attorneys and get internships.

No joke, I think he wants to get in with the Heritage Foundation and end up in politics. He has delusions of grandeur and sees himself as a conservative martyr (because he was fired from a tv show) and that fits in with his self perception.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived