IGNORED

Dillards 66: Appropriate Spaces for Inappropriate People

Georgiana

4 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

These recipes neither sound good nor would I be inclined to want to taste them, let alone the nutritional value they lack. It's typical Jill in that most of what she posts reads like it comes from the TTH, can be purchased in large quantities for cheap and adds bulk so it's more filling in smaller portions. But I suspect it's Jill going off what she knows, vs branching out and reading through cooking sites or cookbooks. Except for the few rare times she's made something foreign, had to throw that in there!

I wonder what, if anything, Jill knows about nutrition. Does she tell Izzy and Sam’s pediatrician that her kids eat a balanced diet? Because that monstrosity technically has veggies in it, so I can see her telling the pediatrician that her kids eat veggies and leave out the fact that their diet is mostly sodium. 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I saw dWRECK had to tweet out that this newest recipe is one of his favorites. Must have been too much criticism for them. :pb_lol: 

Spoiler

EF256BBA-E633-4474-8CE3-378912C75956.gif.dde7e702c61f6054a7764d4d0ef217ef.gif

Okay Derdick, if you want to keep eating that and go to an early grave to avoid your marriage with Jill that’s your prerogative. I never said it tasted bad, just that one serving is over 126.7% of your daily sodium intake. That’s A LOT. You will get heart disease if you eat this regularly. 

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

You will get heart disease if you eat this regularly. 

Are we certain that Derick has a heart?

Am I getting the details wrong or did Derick's father die rather suddenly from heart related issues? Family history of heart disease combined with a high sodium/high fat diet is a disaster waiting to happen. 

26 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Are we certain that Derick has a heart?

Good point. Maybe that’s why he’s so unconcerned. 

9 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

You won't believe it but I found the perfect job posting for OfJill. 

https://abovethelaw.com/2018/10/lawyer-who-doesnt-believe-in-the-bill-of-rights-have-we-got-a-job-for-you/

Too bad he is a 1L.

Wait, why is kneeling to G-d a sign of respect but kneeling to the flag isn’t?

”believes in kneeling in prayer to G-d, and standing to respect the Flag of our great nation.” How do you put that sentence together and not see the hypocrisy? So much cognitive dissonance.

But maybe Derdick isn’t qualified. They want someone who is “career oritented” and they say “if you believe you are owed something because you graduated law school and passed the bar, don’t waste your time or ours applying.” Derdick definitely thinks he’s owed something for simply being a white Christian male.

My husband had a work conference abroad last month. I got to just be a tourist. At the end of the day, he'd tell me to come meet him in the conference hall--and I'd say no, that looks too clingy--lets meet outside the building, & just text me when you are done talking to people--I'll poke around in shops & read till then!!!

You know Jill would have attended every damn session, with a "Mrs. Derick Dillard" nametag on.

Almost 250g of butter in a sauce??? I love butter, but wtf. As Europeans we also had no idea what rotel is, but my husband waggled his eyebrows and asked whether I fancy some mild rotel tonight ? then we looked it up. 

3 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I saw dWRECK had to tweet out that this newest recipe is one of his favorites. Must have been too much criticism for them. :pb_lol: 

I hope he eats a whole lot of it then.

Has there ever been mention of which foods their kids like?

7 hours ago, apandaaries said:

Crime rates have been going down in the US for decades, but that is certainly not how the general public perceives our situation. So much of how the US society functions is founded in fear. It's quite bizarre yet also completely commonplace here.

Nonstop news , social media, and security system marketing has contributed greatly to the US culture of fear. It is a shame that school shootings or mass shootings in general are not treated as the terrorist acts that they are.

I don't get why anyone would need cream of mushroom soup to make beef strogonoff?  You just need beef, mushrooms, sour cream, onions (and I add green  peppers), salt and pepper and a little beef stock.  It's actually super quick and easy to make.

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

You know Jill would have attended every damn session, with a "Mrs. Derick Dillard" nametag on.

And his would say "Mr. Jill Duggar" of course.

4 hours ago, Georgiana said:

She had a superiority complex, she was overly bossy, she was a tattle tale.

Remember though that the "tattle tale" comment came from Josh, her molester. Given the source, I hate it that his comment still gets taken as proof that she was an obnoxious tattle tale.

27 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Remember though that the "tattle tale" comment came from Josh, her molester. Given the source, I hate it that his comment still gets taken as proof that she was an obnoxious tattle tale.

Thank you! I had thought that comment was backed up by others elsewhere, but now that I think about it, I can’t find an alternative source.  If it’s just from Josh, you’re absolutely correct. 

In its place, I would cite that her cooler relationships with her siblings suggest that she WAS hard to live with in some capacity. Outside her buddy group, she doesn’t appear to have close relationships with her siblings, and I think that says something about how she interacts with people when they’re on her level. 

Jill served as a Bridesmaid for Rachel Tuuk, who was present during her labor with Izzy, earlier this year. She and Rachel know one another from their Midwife studies. She’s also posted about being the Godmother of a little girl named Aivah - Jill and the boys attended her Kindergarthen graduation this year. I’m not sure how she knows Aivah’s parents, but she likely knows them fairly well to be her Godmother. 

I’d say it’s likely Jill has friends, but she either doesn’t get to see them much due to distance (Rachel is in Texas I think) and time or she chooses not to share much about that part of her life with the public (which isn’t out of the question considering the Duggars don’t share other things - like some of their jobs or hobbies - publicly.)

3 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I hope he eats a whole lot of it then.

Has there ever been mention of which foods their kids like?

I don’t know specifics, but there are photos of the boys with fresh produce and healthy-ish snacks floating around on Instagram. Looking quick, I found these:

Spoiler
Spoiler

I’d guess that none of them have perfect diets, but that they don’t only eat seriously unhealthy stuff either. They likely eat some sort of mix of healthy and unhealthy like many people do. And as a parent of a toddler I can’t blame them if they don’t manage to feed their boys healthy foods every single day because it can be pretty tough trying to convince a stubborn toddler to do anything they don’t want to do. I swear my daughter changes her mind about which foods she likes on a meal to meal basis. 

I don't think they eat everything that she posts.  Her strategy seems to be about posting for maximum website hits.  If she can dig it up, she's going to post it, healthy or gag-worthy.  

Ehh tryin not to be too BEC (tired and stressed)  but doubt that pic of Sam was from the Dills place. More like Jessa's or the TTH. And betting those tomatoes Izzy is holding came from Aunt Jana's garden, not store bought. Product of circumstance rather than choice for healthy items. I just don't think DerJill have that kind of conscious decision making. 

Does anyone recognize what's on the computer screen? Is it a sermon or a music video? It looks like the person is wearing a white t-shirt, but throwing a praise hand or a jazz hand.

I hope it's a jazz hand.

On 10/9/2018 at 4:54 PM, OhNoNike said:

Agreed.  As an American born adult, this measuring system makes little sense.  A cup of flour can be so varied... weight just makes more sense. Is it Americans being lazy?  Just wanting to scoop an amount instead of weighing it?  I’m not sure. 

I think it was going back to pioneer days when people might not have had a lot of kitchen equipment, but everybody probably had a mug. So it didn't actually matter whether your cup was exactly the same volume as anyone else's, only that the ratios in *your* baking were always the same.

Old British recipe books (like, early modern) don't even specify measures like a tablespoon - they say 'an egg' or 'a walnut' of butter, because everybody can kind of judge what that size might be. In the absence of timers, you're sometimes instructed to simmer/whisk for 3 'Our Fathers' or something - basically however long it takes to recite the Lord's Pray x number of times. The old recipe books expect quite a lot of prior knowledge, though, and are written for cooks who are already confident in the processes and are able to eyeball most stuff. They're not for guiding first-timers, they're just broad instructions to people who have been taught verbally and by example, just as most housewives would have had to be whilst settling the US. Standardised measuring systems are pretty recent inventions, and for a long time most ordinary people didn't have the equipment for them anyway. 

The conversation has totally moved on, but I am a nerd about this stuff. I think any early-modern housewife would have agreed that two sticks of butter is excessive, though.

also, I am really struck by the fact that SO many of the recipes the girls share that have been handed down from Michelle are loaded with butter, cream or cheese (like Jessa's heinous alfredo sauce).

My grandmother was the child of a single mum in the 1930s and money was tight - she said that whenever they were due a visit to the grandparents, her mother would put cream on the kids' cornflakes to try to get a bit of weight on them. She didn't want anyone to think she couldn't feed them enough. Don't know if that was part of Michelle's rationale, besides having no nutritional education, and carbs-with-fat being a cheap and convenient way to feed 19.

4 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Ehh tryin not to be too BEC (tired and stressed)  but doubt that pic of Sam was from the Dills place. More like Jessa's or the TTH. And betting those tomatoes Izzy is holding came from Aunt Jana's garden, not store bought. Product of circumstance rather than choice for healthy items. I just don't think DerJill have that kind of conscious decision making. 

I checked their blog. The photo of Izzy with the tomatoes was taken at their house and the tomatoes came from their garden:

4CCDBA3F-FFCE-4853-9609-41359ADA6F0D.thumb.png.97bd93152cc001d4f05b745979ceaadf.png

They grew peppers too:

Spoiler

03E6B86D-BC36-4CBE-A62B-7A6E4F97A210.thumb.png.e18516c1f79078fd8e4c4625724eea97.png

I didn’t look long enough for the Sam cucumber photo, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that was taken at their house either. 

And per Instagram, they also appear to have grown sweet potatoes:

Spoiler

Absolute speculation here...but...

There isn't really an excuse for the lack of vegetables/fresh ingredients in that recipe, nor an excuse for the crazy sodium and saturated fat.  However, I wonder if she is now (or has in the past) cultivated a high fat/high calorie set of recipes for Derrick's sake.  Remember the banana bread "soaked" in butter?

I can imagine that at some point in the past, especially around his jaw surgery, that his doctor mentioned that he could stand to gain a few lbs.  The doctor may even have demanded it...Derrick looked like he was on death's doorstep for a while there.  Maybe Jill figured the two active littles could eat anything and burn it off, and she could be a good helpmeet by stopping Derrick's Skeletor impersonation.

I'm honestly comforted by the Dill's clutter and messiness.  You can actually tell toddlers live there.  

It's for sure not appealing on social media and yeah, it also kind of stresses me out to look at, BUT it's so much better than the bleakness of households like the Rods where all evidence of children is essentially restricted to their rooms.  On some level, I'm happy Jill prioritizes her children having a kid-friendly environment over living in a Pinterest-perfect house.  

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived