IGNORED

Dillards 66: Appropriate Spaces for Inappropriate People

Georgiana

Is any one else getting ads for Shell brand [industrial] Lubricants?

I feel like I've missed some inappropriate sex discussion on one of these threads... :my_rolleyes:

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I feel like I've missed some inappropriate sex discussion on one of these threads... :my_rolleyes:

my mind went to Shell Oil first.... Uhh what?? ?

15 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

They're definitely not for everybody. My partner and I shared them, but my folks passed. My dad dipped some of his bread into the spiced garlic butter that they're served in. The melty butter is what makes them delicious, but I can understand where the ick factor comes from.

@ShebrewDefrauder and @SassyPantswithASideofClass, to make the meal even better, we at it on a heated rooftop patio sitting next to a fire.

oh yes please! Could we have s'mores or cheesecake or something? lol. I'm down for dinner, dessert and games.

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

No,I'm getting ads for a breast reduction,or infant formula.

I got ads for PayPal, the Eric Church tour stop at the Bob Secours Wellness Arena (which had not a damn thing to with wellness*), some show at the US Cellular Center,  Amazon and the Broadway production of The Book of Mormon.  

*I personally hate the term "wellness".  What's wrong with good old fashioned word "health"? 

I once cared for my elderly grandmother who needed to up her caloric intake. At no point did any of her doctors or dieticians suggest soaking things in butter as a means of getting there. If Derrick needs to put on weight, he should eat fatty caloric but healthier things like avocados, nut butters, or supplement with those high calorie drinks like Boost, Ensure, etc (even though they are sugar-laden typically). Butter is just saturated fat and pouring it all over everything can get you calories but about zero nutritional value.

They all seem to also drink a lot of those La Croix drinks, which are sugar and sweetener-free, and can be pretty pricey. So on the one hand they'll avoid something like Coke but on the other they'll eat a stick of butter.

National Coming Out Day was yesterday. In honour of this occasion, and because we all know Derdick (AKA Skeletor) LOOOOVES teh gays, I'm leaving this here.

Spoiler

On 10/11/2018 at 4:55 PM, PennySycamore said:

@VeryNikeSeamstress, escargot are mollusks just as clams  and scallops are.  People don't cringe when they eat sea mollusks (In general, that is).  I must confess that I've never eaten escargot and  likely never will since I'm vegetarian,  but I really don't understand why eating snails is regarded differently than eating sea mollusks.  This conversation reminds me of this classic clip from I Love Lucy:

To me, it’s the texture I can’t handle. I put clams, calamari and lingua in this same bucket of nope. For me. Weirdly scallops are one of my favorites. 

It’s interesting how our brains group foods together.

21 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

National Coming Out Day was yesterday. In honour of this occasion, and because we all know Derdick (AKA Skeletor) LOOOOVES teh gays, I'm leaving this here.

Hide contents

I never knew how much I needed this, thank you!

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:27 AM, AtlanticTug said:

I once cared for my elderly grandmother who needed to up her caloric intake. At no point did any of her doctors or dieticians suggest soaking things in butter as a means of getting there. If Derrick needs to put on weight, he should eat fatty caloric but healthier things like avocados, nut butters, or supplement with those high calorie drinks like Boost, Ensure, etc (even though they are sugar-laden typically). Butter is just saturated fat and pouring it all over everything can get you calories but about zero nutritional value.

They all seem to also drink a lot of those La Croix drinks, which are sugar and sweetener-free, and can be pretty pricey. So on the one hand they'll avoid something like Coke but on the other they'll eat a stick of butter.

we've been on a campaign to get my husband to gain weight. Protein shakes, just generally eating more often and higher protein intake have been recommended by the RDs we have seen. They have suggested things like whole milk and yes, butter, but not to the extremes shown by the Dingbats. It hasn't worked. The man has the metabolism of a 13 year old boy. The typical diabetic diet isn't nutritionally appropriate for him...he is supposed to up his carb intake too (he's an insulin-dependent diabetic). I swear if I could pour calories down his throat they'd never make it to his gut. 

These people don't understand jack shit about eating healthy. Even my fat ass has great lab work. We do make an effort to eat healthy and it shows. I'm roughly 220lbs with low blood pressure, great cholesterol numbers, great A1c. Now if only the head would be as healthy...but we'll get there. 

2 hours ago, finnlassie said:

The thread title just makes me think of Derick being locked in a small toilet stall.

A toilet stall would be too kind. Derick deserves a dilapidated latrine with shit smeared on the walls.

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

These people don't understand jack shit about eating healthy. Even my fat ass has great lab work. We do make an effort to eat healthy and it shows. I'm roughly 220lbs with low blood pressure, great cholesterol numbers, great A1c. Now if only the head would be as healthy...but we'll get there. 

You sound like me to a "T". And yeah, you'll get there!! You had a great start with your Dr. appointment!!!! I get it!! I totally get it!!! I'm excited for you! 

Back to food--I'm not a food snob at all--mostly try to eat the good stuff but use canned beans, frozen everything, Dole fruit cups, hummus cups, pretty much anything cups as I live by myself and there isn't great produce around here, plus on bad weeks I eat what the food bank gives me.
But I have to say that I actually gagged at the picture of Jill's spaghetti sauce or whatever that was. If she can make me gag, that's something.

Jill’s Reading a book on improving boundaries...while posting photos of her kids in the bath. The juxtaposition is highly entertaining to me (plus I’m encouraged to see she is learning about healthy boundaries)

On 10/9/2018 at 8:41 AM, JillyO said:

It's pretty much an American thing from what I've seen. Campbell's   has done an amazingly good job of convincing people to not just eat their soups, but make them the basis of TONS of recipes. I've never been anywhere else in the world where canned soup was regularly used as the basis for recipes. But that's incredibly successfull marketing for ya. Lots of people grew up on cream-of-whatever-soup based recipes, and for many (like Jill) it seems to be a difficult habit to break. Even though, these days, it's hardly a secret how unhealthy they are.

I honestly don't get the cream of crap and boxed food craze. I use cream of mushroom soup on pork chops on the rare occasion I make them, but I like neither pork chops nor cream of crap soup.

My nephew's parents are the worst for this. Everything comes out of a box or is canned. She's a stay at home mom, but she is unwilling to learn anything new. I had them over for Thanksgiving last weekend, and they couldn't believe we were eating vegetables that didn't come out of a can. ?‍♀️

I guess "quick and easy" or "cheap as fuck" will always win out over healthy for some people. 

On 10/12/2018 at 9:18 AM, HereticHick said:

Haha! It’s the J-Rod thread. :whistle:

Jill’s Reading a book on improving boundaries...while posting photos of her kids in the bath. The juxtaposition is highly entertaining to me (plus I’m encouraged to see she is learning about healthy boundaries)
I hope she learns good things from it. Is it the cloud and Townsend one? I got some decent help from that when I was a Christian and stopped doing things I didn't want to do! Still learning that lesson.
Not a Christian now, and not sure how the authors would feel about that!!

9 minutes ago, sleepy_doggos said:

I hope she learns good things from it. Is it the cloud and Townsend one? I got some decent help from that when I was a Christian and stopped doing things I didn't want to do! Still learning that lesson.
Not a Christian now, and not sure how the authors would feel about that!!

Yes, that’s the book. She mentioned the title and authors in the comments.

1 hour ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

The photo wasn’t that bad to be honest. Neither boy is really facing the camera, nothing private is visible, and they look like they’re behaving like normal kids. I’ve never posted anything like this of my daughter (and never will), but I’ve definitely seen worse.

(I do see your point though and it is kind of amusing.)

I haven’t read that book, but hopefully you’re right and it helps teach her what healthy boundaries really look like. I feel like a lot of the fundies we discuss here could benefit from learning about healthy boundaries. 

1 hour ago, Alachantal said:

I guess "quick and easy" or "cheap as fuck" will always win out over healthy for some people. 

You can do both and still eat healthy. I've got a shit-ton of recipes in my head for cheap, easy and quick that are relatively healthy. Just have to have a little imagination. 

17 hours ago, feministxtian said:

You can do both and still eat healthy. I've got a shit-ton of recipes in my head for cheap, easy and quick that are relatively healthy. Just have to have a little imagination. 

Yes. And I think the constant implication that eating healthy has to be expensive is not good for people. A lot of people on a budget just give up. Canned vegetables are not bad for you. If the salt is a worry, at my local grocery, you can, in fact, buy no salt versions for the same price as regular. I saw a blog post a few years ago lamenting that some people give their kids apples and bananas because that was deemed not healthy enough--apparently, you have to buy mangoes and kiwi and pomegranate now instead because cheaper fruits aren't good enough. 

"Cheap as fuck" as @Alachantal calls it is the only choice for a lot of people. Seven years ago, I had weeks when I had about $25 to feed two adults (and two adults with no disability who are not seniors and have no other dependents don't qualify for any assistance). Telling people in those situations that canned veggies and bananas aren't good enough usually leads to them giving up on healthy food entirely. Yet a lot of food snobs persist in telling them just that. 

4 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Canned vegetables are not bad for you. If the salt is a worry, at my local grocery, you can, in fact, buy no salt versions for the same price as regular.

I don't buy canned anything. Frozen veggies aren't expensive and are easier for portion control. Rice is cheap. Dried beans are cheap. There's a lot you can get here at the 99 cent store, that IS 99 cents. We went through a period where our grocery budget (including paper products) was barely 100 bucks a month and we still managed to eat fairly decently. There wasn't a lot of variety, but our bellies were full. 

Now I spend stupid money at the grocery store for the 2 of us but again, we can afford it and if I'm working 12 hours a day, convenience foods keep us fed with minimal time/effort. Yeah, getting home at 7:45pm 5 nights a week sucks but...

However, I think my long stretch of stupid overtime may be coming to an end...I'm finally almost caught up!

*braces self for incoming anger*

Eating healthy on a budget is quite possible, but takes a fair amount of time when you first start.  The real key to it is meal planning.  My goal each week is 0 food waste - I don’t hit it each week, but reducing food waste in turn reduces wasted food budget money

In addition, watch the veggie/meat sales at your local grocer.  Don’t build all meals around meat, use meat as a compliment to a dish.  Use better for you grains and beans (quinoa, black beans, chickpeas) to fill out a meal or in place of protein.  Frozen vegetables are nearly always as nutritious as fresh, but they’re cheaper and last longer before they go bad. 

One trick I like to use is to buy a whole chicken and cook it on Sunday.  I use the meat for the rest of the week. Hang on to vegetable scraps (in the freezer) and they can be used to make vegetable stock (freeze in 1 cup sized portions).  Boiling your grains in veg stock is a very low calorie, low sodium, low cost way to add to their flavor. 

Especially if you know you’ll be busy during the week, meal prep.  You don’t have to cook five portions of chicken and a sad veggie, but at least cut up what you can and have some of the cooking done before the week.  The future Mr. and I both work 60 hour a week kind of jobs + I volunteer and have events 2-3 nights a week, but I still manage to have home cooked meals for dinner (and lunch) every day.  If we manage, I have faith other people can manage.

I'll be real here. It took me months to gain back 10 lbs. It took a lot of nachos. Daily nachos.

Seriously, no sodium canned black beans, chips and melty cheese in the toaster oven for seven minutes. Smothered with quemada salsa and avocado. Washed down with a dark chocolate boost. When I lost weight again, smashed edamame went on with more cheese.

Jill is reading and it's about a book on boundaries! Good for Jill!

Jill is reading.  I think Jill really wants an education, sometimes I feel very sorry for her.  I sincerely hopes she finds a way to get it.  Stupid fucking fundamentalism.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived