IGNORED

Maxwell 24: Juicing, Chiropracters, and Faux Insurance

Coconut Flan

1 minute ago, nastyhobbitses said:

but it's so big and kind of annoying to prep that I never really buy it. 

I'm not super inventive with it, but I just cut it in 1/4" thick disks and bread them lightly with bread crumbs, salt and pepper, and bake.  My kids eat them with spaghetti or just straight up.  

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, theologygeek said:

Same thing happened when I was a child and begged my mother to get Spaghettios.

I gave my oldest Spaghettios once when he was a toddler, because I'd eaten them as a child and it was a fond memory.  The only pasta he'd had up to that point was my spaghetti with homemade marinara.

The look of utter betrayal on his little face will be with me forever.  It was the 2yo equivalent of "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SUPPOSED TO BE?" 

2 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Artichoke is one of those things I really wouldn't even know where to begin to cook. I've stared at it in the grocery store but never buy it because it looks complicated. 

I agree and it looks even more complicated to eat.  

Although I am a fan of anything you can dip in garlic butter so I'd love to try it, but seems so messy and the degree of difficulty too high for me.

Artichoke is one of those things I really wouldn't even know where to begin to cook. I've stared at it in the grocery store but never buy it because it looks complicated. 

Steam it or grill it. Serve with (gag) mayo, melted butter or ranch.

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

That didn't make it sound less complicated.  :)

It really is that simple. Toss it in the steamer til the leaves are somewhat soft (I'm sure google would give you an accurate number), or cut it in half and put it on a low grill until same. I prefer them grilled because I like the smoky flavour. I LOVE artichokes. I almost planted one in my garden, til I realised it would take more growing time than I have. 

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_cook_and_eat_an_artichoke/

@jiggleromp,  I remember when I had my first solid food after my first baby was born.  It was a horrible pork cop that looked like it had been boiled, turnip greens, pinto beans, and maybe white rice.  It was completely horrid and I could eat none of it.  I talked to my sister who'd had a baby at the same hospital two weeks before.  That was the hospital's Thursday menu and she couldn't eat hers either.  They didn't feed me solid food for another six days.   When I had my youngest 11 years later at a different hospital,  my husband and I had a steak dinner and my kids got a little cake from the baby.  After I had my stroke a few years ago, the food in the rehab hospital was a disgrace to hospital dietitians.  

@VooDooChild, we used to have sandwiches of Carl Buddig ham or turkey traveling to my grandparents' house in Kentucky.  I think the sandwiches would be a snack when we stopped at Newfound Gap on top of the Smokies. It was a rare treat for us when we were tiny.  

@EmmieJ, I did not grow up with eggplant either, but I frequently order eggplant Parmesan at Italian restaurants.  I love it! 

@nastyhobbitses,  you can find tutorials on how to prep and cook artichokes at Martha Stewart's site and elsewhere.  I don't buy them much because i'm mostly cooking for myself.  Artichoke leaves are also good dipped in hollandaise.   @HerNameIsBuffy, the tutorials might be helpful to you too.  I'd have to look at one before I cooked artichokes.   

7 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Steam it. Yank each individual leaf off, dip in melted butter, and bite off the meaty part. When you get to the heart, dip it in the butter and eat it too. 

On 9/15/2018 at 1:11 PM, anjulibai said:

Yeah, that recipe looks super gross. All the Maxwell recipes are just seem so blah and nearly inedible.

Also, I feel like the chipped beef needs to be on top of the chicken, not under. It's bugging me that it's not. 

It is actually not; my aunt makes a version of that and it delicious! But as usual, they are making it wrong. They need to wrap the chicken in bacon and serve it over rice. The bottom layer is not that chipped beef but Armor dried beef. The sauce should be much creamier and richer and not look like a brick. It is totally like 10,000 calories and yum. But the bacon.... and the salt and the tang of sour cream are lovely together.

17 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@EmmieJ, I did not grow up with eggplant either, but I frequently order eggplant Parmesan at Italian restaurants.  I love it! 

Exactly - I have it occasionally if eating out, and I also had a neighbor who used to make extra of various things (stuffed, twice baked potatoes, eggplant Parmesan, etc.) and she'd bring the extra over for me and my son.  It was always delicious.

I have never had a turnip or artichoke or rutabega in my life  and they don’t sound particularly appealing either. I recently discovered I really liked asparagus and parsnips .Never had them as a kid.  

8 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I have never had a turnip or artichoke or rutabega in my life  and they don’t sound particularly appealing either. I recently discovered I really liked asparagus and parsnips .Never had them as a kid.  

I love roasted asparagus - one of my favorite foods.  As a kid we always had the canned mushy kind at holidays and my daughter insists we still do.  She loves it - so we can have proper asparagus but it's not a holiday without the smush in the can!

20 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Put bread crumbs, grated cheese, minced up garlic (or garlic powder), parsley, salt and pepper in the middle.  It takes getting used to when you have to dig in to get everything in the middle.  Drizzle them all with olive oil.  Steam the artichokes with the pan covered.  When you eat them, you scrape the leaves with your teeth to just eat the inside of the leaves .  You don't eat the whole leaf.  Then when you get to the middle where the heart is, scrape off the pinchy part.  Don't eat that part.  Dear Lord they are heaven on earth.  My mother makes them on holidays and also a few times during the year.  

IIronically I currently have stuffed zucchini in the oven. I like my artichoke neat (no butter, sauce, etc). @tabitha2 as far as I'm concerned you can skip turnip and rutabega to me they are bitter.  As a side note, I am currently enjoying bacon wrapped carrots or bacon wrapped asparagus.

Oh darn, I can't have any of those casseroles because all the cream of anything soups have wheat/gluten in them. I'll console myself with my new favorite, "mashed potato" squash.

59 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Steam it or grill it. Serve with (gag) mayo Miracle Whip, melted butter, or ranch.

FTFY. (I realize that Miracle Whip vs. mayo can be a sensitive topic. I just wanted to put in a plug for my preference. :my_biggrin: )

I was raised on mayo. I liked it on sandwiches and even salad and  I had no particular desire to try anything else... then I actually tried Miracle Whip. OMG. No more bland mayo for this girl!

This thread has given me some *badly* needed mid-workday laughs (enjoyed in the privacy of the staff restroom, of course).

Thanks everyone!!

18 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

I can't have any of those casseroles because all the cream of anything soups have wheat/gluten in them.

I have some casseroles i make with cream based soups but I make my own, so there isn't the sodium and taste so much better than canned.  I would have to look it up but I think my homemade cream of soups are gluten free?

Tonight I am making chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, and green beans from the garden.  If I don't get this chicken fried steak right, I am going to scream.  I ruin it every single time.  My friend who lives in Texas guided me through it, so hopefully it comes tender this time.  

6 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I was raised on mayo. I liked it on sandwiches and even salad and  I had no particular desire to try anything else... then I actually tried Miracle Whip. OMG. No more bland mayo for this girl!

I was raised on Miracle Whip but we called it mayo in our house so when as a little kid I was eating lunch at a friends house I said yes to mayo on a bologna sandwhich. 

Couldn't get it down.  Still hate it but Miracle Whip is a required staple in my house.

3 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I have some casseroles i make with cream based soups but I make my own, so there isn't the sodium and taste so much better than canned.  I would have to look it up but I think my homemade cream of soups are gluten free?

Ooh I always welcome gluten free recipes and I won't sully your soups by making any Maxwell recipes with them. I promise er guarantee that.

48 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I have never had a turnip 

I've had turnips. Raw they are very earthy and mashed they are like less good potatoes. You aren't missing much. I find turnip greens awful. 

Sorry guys, artichoke is still sounding complicated. So even when it is cooked I don't actually eat it, I just suck out the insides of the leaves?   Since I don't eat butter, mayo, or hardly any oil I'm probably just going to avoid artichoke. 

Beets. Growing up my grandma pickled them and it made me vomit. So I have avoided beets since then. I know they are healthy, but they just bring up bad memories. 

4 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I've had turnips. Raw they are very earthy and mashed they are like less good potatoes. You aren't missing much. I find turnip greens awful. 

Sorry guys, artichoke is still sounding complicated. So even when it is cooked I don't actually eat it, I just suck out the insides of the leaves?   Since I don't eat butter, mayo, or hardly any oil I'm probably just going to avoid artichoke. 

Beets. Growing up my grandma pickled them and it made me vomit. So I have avoided beets since then. I know they are healthy, but they just bring up bad memories. 

You eat the artichoke heart too.  It's the best part.  Or if you want to skip making artichokes, just make artichoke hearts.  They are delicious.  

1 hour ago, danvillebelle said:

I gave my oldest Spaghettios once when he was a toddler, because I'd eaten them as a child and it was a fond memory.  The only pasta he'd had up to that point was my spaghetti with homemade marinara.

The look of utter betrayal on his little face will be with me forever.  It was the 2yo equivalent of "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SUPPOSED TO BE?" 

That is how my kids felt about Twinkies!

2 hours ago, theologygeek said:

They sell Buddig in the dollar store around here.  I only had chipped beef once in my life when I was a kid.  I begged my mother to get the Stouffers one for me.  My father did not want my mother to ever make it because he had it when he was in the Air Force.  He called it shit on something or other.  The Stouffers one was disgusting.  Same thing happened when I was a child and begged my mother to get Spaghettios.  That was also disgusting.  lol  Maybe the chipped beef reminds Steve of his military days.  Who knows.  I can't believe they served that slop at a rehearsal dinner.  

My sister and I begged our parents to get us Chef Boyardee - we hated it. I remember being so disappointed. My mom generally cooked Balkan food for us and that was the last time we had a say in meals, ha.

I'm very picky but I love eggplant and zucchini, artichokes I only eat in dips, yum. I only added zucchini in the last few years but remember eating a lot of eggplant parmesan here in NJ with my friends of Italian descent.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived