IGNORED

Maxwell 24: Juicing, Chiropracters, and Faux Insurance

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Artichoke is one of those things I really wouldn't even know where to begin to cook. I've stared at it in the grocery store but never buy it because it looks complicated. 

It really isn't too difficult. I grew up eating them so it is second nature to me I guess. Artichokes aren't sold here and once I get back to the US mainland it will be one of the first things we get at the grocery store as they should be in season then. My kids are already talking about them. 

2 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

My son is active duty Marines and while going through boot, he described what he ate at chow.  He said he'd get two yogurts topped with granola, bacon, eggs, pancakes, milk, and a bunch else -- and of course, wolf it down because they didn't get much time to eat. 

I honestly couldn't tell you what was offered during boot camp. I just chose what looked like I could eat without chewing and not call too much attention to myself. I went into boot camp a fairly picky eater but left eating just about anything. I am pretty sure I ate scrambled eggs for breakfast and mashed potatoes for lunch and dinner, not sure what else. And of course a weeks worth of MREs. Blech.  I do remember being really excited getting to my tech school and being able to sit and enjoy a meal and order what i wanted. Really, most of the food offered was quite good. It wasn't perfect but it was much better than what I had expected. 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

FTFY. (I realize that Miracle Whip vs. mayo can be a sensitive topic. I just wanted to put in a plug for my preference. :my_biggrin: )

They are both poison so you eat whatever you like. I'll be over here, gagging. 

Artichoke is one of those things I really wouldn't even know where to begin to cook. I've stared at it in the grocery store but never buy it because it looks complicated. 

The easiest way I make them is similar to this.

https://iowagirleats.com/2012/11/25/roasted-artichokes-with-lemon-garlic/

2 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

It is actually not; my aunt makes a version of that and it delicious! But as usual, they are making it wrong. They need to wrap the chicken in bacon and serve it over rice. The bottom layer is not that chipped beef but Armor dried beef. The sauce should be much creamier and richer and not look like a brick. It is totally like 10,000 calories and yum. But the bacon.... and the salt and the tang of sour cream are lovely together.

See that sounds good.  I’m not opposed to an occasional cream of something casserole.  But they gotta go and maxwell-FY it and that never improves it.

They always make things worse, and somehow more difficult 

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I was raised on Miracle Whip but we called it mayo in our house so when as a little kid I was eating lunch at a friends house I said yes to mayo on a bologna sandwhich. 

Couldn't get it down.  Still hate it but Miracle Whip is a required staple in my house.

That happened to me as a kid. So I always asked my friends after that to clarify if it was miracle whip or mayo. I never made that mistake again. 

Oddly enough, as an adult, I slowly started to hate Miracle Whip while simultaneously starting to love mayo. Now I can’t even stand the smell of Miracle Whip. It’s shocking to my family because they knew how much I loved Miracle whip growing up. 

Another thing I now hate that I didn’t mind as a kid is aspartame. I accidentally got the sugar free coffee creamer at the store and now I have to throw it away. It’s disgusting. I was ok with it as a kid. Not anymore. 

3 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

I gave my oldest Spaghettios once when he was a toddler, because I'd eaten them as a child and it was a fond memory.  The only pasta he'd had up to that point was my spaghetti with homemade marinara.

The look of utter betrayal on his little face will be with me forever.  It was the 2yo equivalent of "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SUPPOSED TO BE?" 

Italian family here. When my baby sister was 4 and visiting a friend, the friend’s mom served Spaghettios. My sister burst into tears of dismay and disgust.

I've had turnips. Raw they are very earthy and mashed they are like less good potatoes. You aren't missing much. I find turnip greens awful. 

Sorry guys, artichoke is still sounding complicated. So even when it is cooked I don't actually eat it, I just suck out the insides of the leaves?   Since I don't eat butter, mayo, or hardly any oil I'm probably just going to avoid artichoke. 

Beets. Growing up my grandma pickled them and it made me vomit. So I have avoided beets since then. I know they are healthy, but they just bring up bad memories. 

I eat artichokes boiled with garlic and no butter, mayo, or other abominations. I’m a weirdo food purist tho.

It occurs to me that as much as Steve would hate this forum (and can't blame him) if they were reading now they could get some good tips for genuine healthy and yummy options.

Of course I now hate you all for making me crave garlic butter.

1 hour ago, treemom said:

The easiest way I make them is similar to this.

https://iowagirleats.com/2012/11/25/roasted-artichokes-with-lemon-garlic/

See that sounds good.  I’m not opposed to an occasional cream of something casserole.  But they gotta go and maxwell-FY it and that never improves it.

They always make things worse, and somehow more difficult 

My aunt made hers 24 hours before, then refrigerated for 24 hours and baked all day on 200 degrees.

1 hour ago, erunerune said:

I eat artichokes boiled with garlic and no butter, mayo, or other abominations. I’m a weirdo food purist tho.

I do this sometimes too, or trim them up, cut them in half and grill them. Yum!

I do like them with melted butter though and sometimes mayo with a good amount of lemon mixed in. Honestly, I haven't come across a way I didn't like an artichoke. We used to go to the artichoke festival every year when I was growing up. Artichoke heaven. 

I got good news today at the doctor’s (thank you for the support!) and also got the results of my latest lipid panel. I’ve never had high cholesterol but now, after a year of veganism, my numbers are textbook. I thought that Steve and Teri were following Fit for Life.  I’m pretty sure that cream soup covered processed meat concoction recipe can’t be found in that book. 

I was watching an episode of A Chef's Like on Saturday and Vivian Howard was focussing on turnips and turnip greens.  She was making turnip greens with her mom and admitted that her mom's greens were overcooked.  I also read in Cooking at Home with Bridget and Julia, that Bridget Lancaster thinks that collards suffer from overcooking.  This is what she says about them.

OK, folks, enough with the kale.  It's time to move on to a much better (in my opinion) green -collards!  Cp;;are greens have gotten a bad rap over the years -probably due to the fact that folks thought that stewing them for hours was the best way to soften their flavor.  Deeply earthy and unapologetically bitter collard greens soften in texture and bite with just a 30 minute simmer.   (from Cooking at Home With Bridget and Julia, p 143)

I might be tempted to try collards that weren't boiled to death.

My mom cooked turnips fairly frequently and I liked them, both cooked and raw.  I made some turnips (steamed) a few years ago and they did not agree with me.  I felt hungry after I ate them which is weird.

18 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

FWIW, both my grandfather loved SOS. And creamed tuna on toast, which is basically the same thing but with tuna instead of beef. I remember eating both dishes at my grandparents house as a kid and thinking they were fine but I don't think I could stomach either anymore. 

There's also (at least in my mother's kitchen) a version that uses asparagus instead of meat. It was the only way I could stomach asparagus as my mother boiled it to a slimy consistency (even more of a crime considering the asparagus came from our large vegetable garden) that made me gag, but the cream sauce hid the sliminess.

10 hours ago, bean said:

A quote from that beef/zucchini pot pie post: "we had not cooked with zucchini before." That was 2009. How do you go through that many years of life (especially in the midwest) without cooking with zucchini??

That blew my mind. It's still weird to me that with all these people living at the mothership, that huge, flat, sunny backyard, and an excellent climate for growing food, they don't have a garden. Because, apparently, they don't much care for vegetables?

And the recipe, which I assume was intended to feed the "immediate family" has one small zucchini (so, 1/2 to 1 cup of veg) and 5 baby carrots? So everyone got a baby carrot and a tbsp or two of zucchini in their serving. I just cooked up 6 small zucchini as a side dish for my headship and myself. There were other vegetables, too, and a small serving of ham for each of us. I realize my meals are more veg-heavy than those of most omnivores and meat tends to play a bit part, or even just a cameo performance, but still. . .why do they hate plants?

10 hours ago, Dru said:

I think it's because, other than the burritos, most food in that house was frozen/take-out/hot dish until Anna became old enough to say "fuck this" and try her hand at making actual food.

I think she hasn't said "fuck this" to anything at chez Maxwell yet.  But we can hope!

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

It occurs to me that as much as Steve would hate this forum (and can't blame him) if they were reading now they could get some good tips for genuine healthy and yummy options.

Oh, Steve totally reads here. Hi Steve! 

Or, at least someone from the family does. 

8 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

And the recipe, which I assume was intended to feed the "immediate family" has one small zucchini (so, 1/2 to 1 cup of veg) and 5 baby carrots? So everyone got a baby carrot and a tbsp or two of zucchini in their serving. I just cooked up 6 small zucchini as a side dish for my headship and myself. 

Actually, it was even less per person.  One of Anna’s replies was that it served eight.  Eight!  This was in 2009, so Joe and John were still at home.  When I have a go at this recipe, I will probably reduce the beef and increase the zucchini, carrots, and celery.

12 hours ago, Hane said:

Italian family here. When my baby sister was 4 and visiting a friend, the friend’s mom served Spaghettios. My sister burst into tears of dismay and disgust.

Italian here too.  I slept over a friend's house in high school.  My mother drummed it in my head that when you're over someone's house, you eat what they put in front of you so you don't offend.  The mother made lasagna with jar sauce and cottage cheese.  I can still remember trying to eat it with a smile on my face.  

The Maxwells should just humble themselves and ask Chelsy to teach them how to cook.  They claim to like learning new things, and I'm sure Chelsy would love giving them cooking lessons.  

I wonder if there is an element of self-flagellation there. Eating is fun. Cooking can be a lot of fun, and creative too. Even gardening (they could easily have a large veg patch on that property of theirs) can be very fulfilling. 

But all their emotions have to be Jesus centered and boring, do they don't garden, don't cook (I don't call that cooking) and instead just ingest whatever slop will keep body and soul together.

The juices are a case in point. There are few sensations more pleasurable than that first crunchy bite into an apple when you're a bit hungry mid-afternoon. The sound, the smell, the texture on your lips, the juice, and the feeling of satiation when you're done - all pleasureable. And Steve can't have his flock out there enjoying themselves like they have free will or something. So he decided that, if they really do need apples to keep their teeth from falling off, they'll just juice. And add cucumber so the juice doesn't taste too good. 

On other news it's forgotten Jesse's birthday. Sarah must have been instructed to say something personal so we learn not just that he loves serving the lord (duh) but is also musically gifted. 

She still hasn't got the memo on showing not telling. Gifted how? Does he compose, sing, play an instrument? What's a time she has been touched by his music? Does he have any music related goals? What does he do to reach them? 

I swear if I had to write a birthday post in Sarah's style for myself it would read something like, Foudeb is human. She shows her uniqueness by breathing in oxygen at regular intervals. She also eats several times a day. Her family like those traits about her. Praise Jesus! 

1 hour ago, theologygeek said:

They claim to like learning new things, and I'm sure Chelsy would love giving them cooking lessons.  

I assume by "they" you mean the kidults because Idk about Chelsy, but I wouldn't want to try to teach Terri anything.

2 minutes ago, Foudeb said:

I swear if I had to write a birthday post in Sarah's style for myself it would read something like, Foudeb is human. She shows her uniqueness by breathing in oxygen at regular intervals. She also eats several times a day. Her family like those traits about her. Praise Jesus! 

Ha!  When the time comes please write my obit.

Who knew that Jesse is "musically gifted" and "crazy strong"??

Wow. The Maxwells. Wow.

Happy Birthday, Jesse--may you be given a helpmeet for your birthday.

1 minute ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

"crazy strong"

Maybe he got two helpings of the zucchini pie?  That would include 1/4 of a small zuch and TWO baby carrots after all.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived