IGNORED

Dillards 64: Now with Multi-Level Marketing!

Georgiana

I wonder if part of Derick's continuous education is because he is miserable with his life and wants to outsource all parenting to Jill. He seems to look back happily on his Pistol Pete days. Getting Jill as a Godly wife checked off both another adulting box (I suspect even in non-Fundie circles in some places, marriage=full adulthood, even though it should not be that way, and many of us here are vehemently opposed to this idea). Them the children came, and I suspect Derick is unhappy, based off several comments he has made (Jazz fight, anyone?) and the way he relates to Jill and his boys. Since they have a covenant marriage, it would be extremely difficult to get a divorce. I going back to school, he can have the fun of reliving his student days and, since he'll need to study, he can say that he's too busy to take on his full adult responsibilities. Yes I would like him to man up, but I just suspect this is another way to act out in a way that is slightly more approved. Essentially, this reduces his parenting abilities for the next three years, I can see him thinking strategically like that.

Or,to put it more bluntly, Derick can't get a divorce, so, law school will be almost as good for the next 3 years. After that, I don't know... Overseas mission alone? Med school? MBA? MDiv?

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think so too. Think I mentioned this before, but I have the unfortune of having a 35 year old man-child as a roommate. (Moving out as we speak, my 12h hospital shifts and getting up at 5 clash a bit with his playing videogames all night)

Has been studying at various universities, even switching countries, switching his major about 10 times never following anything through.

When he actually got kicked out of one college, his parents finally told him to get a part time job (15h/week). Then he failed every exam and told his parents it was because of that job.

Things got a bit dicey when I was finishing my very last exams, to the point where he'd sabotage me. (In the morning before my final exam he blocked my way to the fridge and started a screaming match)... yes I'm rambling

His younger roommate graduating from medschool made him look pretty bad.

His mommy still buys his clothes... Did I mention he is 35? No girlfriend, his parents aren't fundie, so no arranged marriage for him!

Ah, fuck! I had a really good photoshop edit on my mind for this thread, but I left my drawing tablet at work (spent 8 hours finishing up a stupid publication... dumb project, stupid project manager...)

Does anyone have a screenshot of her FFF post? I thought the picture had been posted here but I can't find it. I was going to try and use Jill's promo code and see if it was still valid (without going through with the purchase of course). 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and posit that this newest educational "adventure" for D-wreck is the beginning of the end of his marriage to Jill. 

Time will tell. lol

5 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and posit that this newest educational "adventure" for D-wreck is the beginning of the end of his marriage to Jill. 

Time will tell. lol

I wouldn't be surprised. They just don't look happy. 

@SapphireSlytherin, you might be right about the impact of the Great Law School adventure's impact on the marriage.  

I sometimes feel like my husband is not very emotionally mature, but he's light years ahead of DWreck.

1 hour ago, Audrey2 said:

Since they have a covenant marriage, it would be extremely difficult to get a divorce.

Is a covenant marriage even a legal thing? What stops Derdick from saying, “fuck the covenant marriage” and just serving divorce papers? Or is he going to school to be his own divorce lawyer?

And man, can you imagine the cries of persecution after FFF has to contact Jill and tell her they can no longer work with her? That was probably important for their ability to feed the kids, because neither of them will actually get jobs.

I don't think they'll officially divorce. More like a permanent separation with Jill silently moving back into her parent's compound.

1 minute ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Is a covenant marriage even a legal thing? What stops Derdick from saying, “fuck the covenant marriage” and just serving divorce papers? Or is he going to school to be his own divorce lawyer?

And man, can you imagine the cries of persecution after FFF has to contact Jill and tell her they can no longer work with her? That was probably important for their ability to feed the kids, because neither of them will actually get jobs.

And I think one of the ways to get divorced even with a covenant marriage is just to live apart for 2 years.  That is not hard to do.

1 minute ago, HarryPotterFan said:

just because one doesn't believe in divorce doesn't mean they still won't seek one. 

I kind of feel bad for Jill losing FFF. Not only was she going to make some money, it probably made her feel that she was actually doing something. Maybe and escape from an unhappy marriage? Or something to keep her busy while Derricks at school. 

5 minutes ago, Ilovebrownies said:

And I think one of the ways to get divorced even with a covenant marriage is just to live apart for 2 years.  That is not hard to do.

And that might be easy if he is busy at school. 

i guess FFF did end things with Jill. Ouch. Too bad they didn't research her husband's social media before teaming up with her. 

I don't remember the last time Jill and Derick looked happy. I will never fall for the #besthubbyever and #bestfatherever type of crap. 

Just now, Sky with diamonds said:

I don't remember the last time Jill and Derick looked happy. I will fall for the #besthubbyever and #bestfatherever type of crap. 

Especially when you look at the other couples like Jinger and Jeremy, Joe and Kendra even Jessa and Ben seem content. I see such strain in the face of Jill. She's like a drowning person treading water. 

Just now, libgirl2 said:

I see such strain in the face of Jill. She's like a drowning person treading water. 

And that is why I feel so sorry for her. I know she's a part of a toxic culture, but damn, I really do pity her. She did everything her entire life to please her parents, and did everything she was supposed to. She followed all of their bizarre rules with the promise of a 'happy ever after' ending for herself, and she hasn't gotten that. She's married a guy who has turned out to actually be a jerk, and she's had two pregnancies that have ended in c-section. It seems like everything she has been raised for is falling apart around her, and she doesn't have the emotional capability to understand why. 

Poor Jill. Honestly, poor Jill. 

I hope that they both realize WHY she was terminated---WHY people hate them so much. It would be great if even an ounce of realization happened as a result of this. But my guess is that OfJill will soon be coming out with some kind of public statement/tweet criticizing FFF and telling us all how we are making assumptions and don't understand the situation.

Hmmm, did they say they fired her, though? They said the post has been deleted, but never said they were the ones who asked her to delete it...

I guess I’m kind of confused as to why they’d fire Jill but be fine with the Bateses. They have all the same beliefs. Seems a tad hypocritical but I guess they were just bowing to pressure. Would love it if people put the same pressure on them to break ties with the godawful Bateses.

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

Hmmm, did they say they fired her, though? They said the post has been deleted, but never said they were the ones who asked her to delete it...

I guess I’m kind of confused as to why they’d fire Jill but be fine with the Bateses. They have all the same beliefs. Seems a tad hypocritical but I guess they were just bowing to pressure. Would love it if people put the same pressure on them to break ties with the godawful Bateses.

I thought this as well--it seems to be a bit of clever wordsmithing on FFF's part. Yes, technically, it has been deleted because Instagram stories only last 24 hours. 

2 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Because people responded and told them about Jill.  People generally like the Bates more, particularly Whitney who is one of theirs.  People think that things like this are them moving away from the fundie life, they don't think that of Jill so are more likely to tell FFF about it. 

I’m still pretty sure that JB is paying Jill and Derrick the same as the other kids on Counting On. It might only be a few thousand a year but I expect Derick is having them live on that.

55 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

Because people responded and told them about Jill.  People generally like the Bates more, particularly Whitney who is one of theirs.  People think that things like this are them moving away from the fundie life, they don't think that of Jill so are more likely to tell FFF about it. 

I know, people are blinded by the Bateses. That doesn’t make it any less hypocritical IF this company decided to part ways with Jill (and not the Bateses) because of objections about her beliefs or lifestyle. That’s a huge ‘if’ right now, though. It seems like we don’t really know what happened.

Just now, singsingsing said:

I know, people are blinded by the Bateses. That doesn’t make it any less hypocritical IF this company decided to part ways with Jill (and not the Bateses) because of objections about her beliefs or lifestyle. That’s a huge ‘if’ right now, though. It seems like we don’t really know what happened.

I suppose I mostly see it as hypocritical of the fans/us not the company.  I don't think they look into people that carefully, they reacted to objections, they would probably react similarly to objections to the Bates, but there has been no such reaction.

So yep, hypocritical, but I don't blame FFF as much as those who didn't object to them about the Bates.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived