IGNORED

Jill and Derwood 62: Law School Rumors and Boring Sam

Coconut Flan

2 minutes ago, apandaaries said:

Canned potatoes aren't a thing, right?

Canned potatoes are a thing. I'm really sorry to be the one to open your eyes to it.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Jill's recipes wouldn't bother me as much if they were just labeled "Food" on the webpage.  

15 minutes ago, AprilQuilt said:

Canned potatoes are a thing. I'm really sorry to be the one to open your eyes to it.

Dear heavens... Welp, now I'm horrified.

FJ continues to be a learning experience, sometimes in the most terrifying ways. 

I just realized I didn't ask - does anyone know if those homeschool materials Jill has are ATI?  

Maybe they are making a teensy bit of a shift?

8 minutes ago, Greendoor said:

I just realized I didn't ask - does anyone know if those homeschool materials Jill has are ATI?  

I watched a video where Jill talked about her current homeschool materials. She didn't specify they were from ATI, but she did say that Anna uses the same stuff. From what I've seen, ATI doesn't look like it has materials for kids Israel's age. If Jill were to use them, it probably wouldn't be for another 2-3 years.

She didn't say whether to drain the canned veggies. How am I ever going to be able to make this? Last time she told me to unwrap the bouillon cube. Such a relief.

The homeschool material is available from Amazon so not ATI.   Although Jill doesn't need all that overpriced material to teach her kids to read when they're ready if she only knew how to really teach.  

Jill's recipe and photo don't match.  There is corn in the photo and not in the recipe.  I also think there may be some celery in the photo although those bits might be potato.  

Alright, taking bets on Jill's next inventive, creative "recipe!"

My guess for the next one is grilled cheese. You'll need cheese slices and sliced bread for this recipe for sure. I know, it sounds pretty easy, but look out for that tricky hidden step featuring a SECRET INGREDIENT! You'll need to put butter on one side of each piece of bread.

7 minutes ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

My guess for the next one is grilled cheese. You'll need cheese slices and sliced bread for this recipe for sure. I know, it sounds pretty easy, but look out for that tricky hidden step featuring a SECRET INGREDIENT! You'll need to put butter on one side of each piece of bread.

How about the cheese wrapper? What do you do with that?

2 hours ago, apandaaries said:

s it common to use unreal potatoes? What else would go in there? Canned potatoes aren't a thing, right? And do people truly need to have "how to boil potatoes" explained to them?

Canned potatoes are a thing. I saw them at Walmart once. Don't know anyone who uses them, but people online say they make good hash browns.

I don't understand why anyone would use so many canned vegetables in a stew. The potential for overcooking would be great.

Jill also needs to stop pretending to be a food blogger. There's nothing wrong with fast/easy/cheap/comfort food - everyone has recipes like that, but these sorts of recipes are usually easy to find/pretty common/widely known, so they just aren't normally something many other people are going to be interested in. ESP with no fun/cute story, and no good pictures of the process or end product (stealing pics doesn't count). I wish she'd stop with the recipes and the horrible pictures of ofJill and get a clue about social media. It's painful to watch. 

51 minutes ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

This made me laugh because, AND I AM SERIOUS, my grandmother did not know how to make a grilled cheese sandwich. When she was in her 70s she called my mom one day and asked her how to do it. But it gets better! She misunderstood the instructions and put the butter on the inside of the bread with the cheese.  I wish I could say I'm adopted but no, this is my biological grandmother I'm talking about.

My high school used to sell at morning break mini pizza's made by cutting a roll in half, adding tomato puree and cheese and toasting them. My sister and I make them all the time as a quick snack. They are tasty to eat but hardly something we would add to a food blog. 

5 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

I’ll admit that canned potatoes are a guilty pleasure of mine. Heated on the stove with a bunch of butter, salt, pepper, and parsley. There is something about the texture...they’re just soft and yummy! 

Canned potatoes are unfortunately a thing. 

My MIL fries them up with onions for breakfast when we are at the cottage. I find them salty and mushy and gross. And I love potatoes. I’ll eat them pretty much any way....except from a can. 

Watched the birthday video,  I thought the cake was one of those cookie cakes things cause it was so flat. Jill was trying way too hard to get that perfect Insta moment of Sam diving into the cake.  He obviously wasn't having it, why not cut it and give him a piece he could hold in his hands and see if he enjoys it that way instead of forcing his hand into it repeatedly? 

All this carb talk is making me hungry. Time to bake some potatoes. Stay tuned to my IG and click on the link in bio for the receipe!

5 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

She didn't say whether to drain the canned veggies. How am I ever going to be able to make this? Last time she told me to unwrap the bouillon cube. Such a relief.

can you relate to me her recipes word for word so i don't have to look at her face. 

9 minutes ago, bella8050 said:

Watched the birthday video,  I thought the cake was one of those cookie cakes things cause it was so flat. Jill was trying way too hard to get that perfect Insta moment of Sam diving into the cake.  He obviously wasn't having it, why not cut it and give him a piece he could hold in his hands and see if he enjoys it that way instead of forcing his hand into it repeatedly? 

clearly you don't realize this is how they do it.. They force things 

2 random things. First, a canned whole chicken is also a thing. Rates up there with canned potatoes in my yuck factor. Also, regarding bullion cubes- when I was little, and my mom would unwrap those little things, I was CERTAIN they were caramels. So one day, I snuck in the kitchen and got one. I unwrapped that bad boy and popped it in my mouth... and was so very disappointed. :pb_lol:

9 hours ago, Greendoor said:

She does have the character qualities printed out and hanging on her wall so I don't think it'll be that big of a shift. I don't know if they will do wisdom booklets or just stick to the character stuff.

Fried canned potatoes are awesome. Just make sure you rinse them well then drain and dry them, otherwise they won’t crisp up. It takes longer to fry them due to the water content (about 20 minutes) but I think it’s worth it. I make them a couple times a year.

Heads up, use a splatter guard!

I don't see anything wrong with the number of guests, it seems a manageable number for a small apartment. Sam won't remember or care who was or wasn't there. The cakes are fine too. Enormously high cakes may be the current fashion, but a cake with two or three layers will be just as tasty, and certainly easier to cut.

But what's with the sticking hands in it? Is that a thing now? Never seen it before and it looks weird and stupid, especially as they are making him do it. I mean, surely they are generally teaching Sam to use utensils and not to stick his hands on food that's not on his plate? ... Or am I looking at it from some repressed European perspective where I'd rather use utensils for everything and not throw food away (because that's going to happen to the cake isn't it? Sam won't eat most of it and nor will anyone else after his hands have been in it)?

Jill's recipes are downright Maxwellian, but at least the Maxwells take decent pictures of the food they make. 

1 hour ago, MadameOvary said:

But what's with the sticking hands in it? Is that a thing now? Never seen it before and it looks weird and stupid, especially as they are making him do it. I mean, surely they are generally teaching Sam to use utensils and not to stick his hands on food that's not on his plate? ... Or am I looking at it from some repressed European perspective where I'd rather use utensils for everything and not throw food away (because that's going to happen to the cake isn't it? Sam won't eat most of it and nor will anyone else after his hands have been in it)?

Like canned potatoes, it's a Thing. First birthday 'smash cake' - so you give the baby a cake of its own to dive into. It's sometimes presented as their first taste of chocolate and refined sugar, but either way if you don't put a video on social media did it even really happen?!

There are loads of videos out there of babies getting stuck into the cake and covering their hands, faces etc, and I suppose this is what Jill wanted - she wasn't interested in seeing Sam genuinely explore the food his own way (ie delicate prodding), she wanted a bit of viral content for her brand. So she's smushing his hands into it for the image SHE wants and thinks is relatable, not giving a crap about how Sam might wish to negotiate the world. Classic Dillard.

20 minutes ago, AprilQuilt said:

There are loads of videos out there of babies getting stuck into the cake and covering their hands, faces etc, and I suppose this is what Jill wanted - she wasn't interested in seeing Sam genuinely explore the food his own way (ie delicate prodding), she wanted a bit of viral content for her brand. So she's smushing his hands into it for the image SHE wants and thinks is relatable, not giving a crap about how Sam might wish to negotiate the world. Classic Dillard.

Armchair psychologist, engage! Just like how I think Derick falls in love with concepts rather than reality, I think Jill thinks that by brute-forcing the way she wants the world to work into reality, she can make it so. I think that in addition to that, she seems to be having an identity crisis. I don't think she was ever really encouraged to develop a sense of who she really is. She was never really allowed to be Jill - she was A Daughter. A Wife. A Mother. Not Jill. So she's trying on these identities and lives like jeans that don't quite fit, and hoping that she can at least make do. 

I think she's also frustrated that the life she was sold, and this mommy blogger life that seems so tantalizingly in reach, isn't real and won't ever be. So she forces Sam to be the cute cake-smashing baby she sees on mommy blogs because that's what he's Supposed to Be because that's how her life is supposed to be. She extolls her lazy, hostile, directionless husband as the Best Daddy Ever and the Best Hubby Ever because that's what he's Supposed to Be and to dream of something more or better is to admit defeat, or worse, betray everything she was raised to believe and practice. She'll make those jeans fit if it's the last thing she'll fucking do. 

35 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I think she's also frustrated that the life she was sold, and this mommy blogger life that seems so tantalizingly in reach, isn't real and won't ever be. So she forces Sam to be the cute cake-smashing baby she sees on mommy blogs because that's what he's Supposed to Be because that's how her life is supposed to be. She extolls her lazy, hostile, directionless husband as the Best Daddy Ever and the Best Hubby Ever because that's what he's Supposed to Be and to dream of something more or better is to admit defeat, or worse, betray everything she was raised to believe and practice. She'll make those jeans fit if it's the last thing she'll fucking do. 

yep, Jill has a chronic case of the s'postas. She's insecure and therefore cannot take pleasure from her life how it is; she has to constantly parse it through the eyes of others. She doesn't chase her own happiness and satisfaction, she chases particular archetypes and if she fails to resemble them closely enough she feels she's failed. It's really sad.

I wish she had the confidence to enjoy Sam's moment just as it was - to be like, 'maybe other kids destroy their cakes, but our cautious, gentle little guy likes to take his time figuring things out'. But either she can't see it, or she can't value it. He didn't deliver the expected experience, just like he didn't with his difficult birth (which I have no trouble believing was a huge source of knocked pride/confidence for her) - and just like with Israel, as he gets bigger and starts displaying more of his own personality, he'll only be more of a frustration to her.

@Kittikatz I'm so sorry for your experience. I hope this isn't inappropriate to ask but you said your brother couldn't absorb nutrients... Did he by chance have biliary atresia?

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived