IGNORED

Josiah and Lauren Part 10: First Look at the Wedding

Coconut Flan

Once again avoiding painting the doors and trim. 

Anyway Josiah has two pictures up and asking people if they can guess where they are. Most are saying Yellowstone, but aren't there massive fires there now?

And *ahem* I don't have Instagram so no photo.

Enough procrastination...off to paint with one of the dogs snoring as background noise.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fires are in Yosemite.  Too much snow to be Yellowstone (was just there a couple weeks ago).  My guess is Denali.

1 hour ago, Ms. Brightside said:

Here are the photos for anyone interested: 

Pretty sure that's Yellowstone.. Hot springs in the back. the dead trees too.

And what someone was saying was snow...Don't think that is snow. I think it's water.  Although, i could be wrong!

The Seewalds, Vuolos, Forsyths, and Joe and Kendra all got an international honeymoon. If Josiah and Lauren stayed in the States, I just kind of find that interesting. 

4 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

The Seewalds, Vuolos, Forsyths, and Joe and Kendra all got an international honeymoon. If Josiah and Lauren stayed in the States, I just kind of find that interesting. 

They have to be filmed in order to go internationally. Maybe they just didn’t want to. Or they’re doing the same thing that Joy and Austin seemed to do which was have a local mini honeymoon in Colorado (they were spotted there by fans and the first pics that the family posted of them appeared to be there), and then went  abroad with the TV crew

Oh I don't think it means anything. I just thought it was interesting. One for books, something interesting about a Duggar. 

Maybe it’s just their dream trip. It’s plenty far away, despite not being across a border. TLC would have to get a permit to film though.

1 hour ago, karen77 said:

Pretty sure that's Yellowstone.. Hot springs in the back. the dead trees too.

And what someone was saying was snow...Don't think that is snow. I think it's water.  Although, i could be wrong!

The white stuff in the foreground of the second picture looks like snow to me, but if it isn't, then I agree it's Yellowstone.

So apparently they officially started their courtship at the Marketplace Grill. One more major event celebrated at their "favorite restaurant" with a Chocolate Mess on the table! (Though that one was Kendra's it looks like.)

Present at the courtposal: Jessa, Jana, Joy, and Kendra.

I had to laugh at the Iceland suggestion. Wayyyyy too liberal for them. :pb_lol: 

8 hours ago, eveandadam said:

Why do so many people think that he is gay? Honestly, why? That first kiss of them...didn't look gay at all!

I'm one of those people who think he could possibly (not definitely ,but possibly) be gay. Josiah has seemed unhappy with his family/ lifestyle for a long time now. A lot of us remember him going from a cheerful and energetic child to a teenager who just seemed to deflate. Then his whole relationship with Lauren just struck me (and others judging by this discussion) as fake and a little too by the books. A few others have pointed out that he wiped away tears that weren't there, like he was doing it for show. The comments "I'm handsome" and that kiss don't strike me as the authentic actions of someone truly in love/lust. They seem like overcompensation. Being gay could explain why he seemed to change so radically as a teen, and why his relationship with Lauren seems so fake to many on here. 

Does it mean he is gay? Nope. He could also have doubts about his lifestyle/religion and have no one to talk to about it. He could be a closet atheist/agnostic. He could want to move to L.A. and persue a career in acting. He could want to get a tattoo, go to a real college, and join a frat. He could be pining for Marjorie.  There are a ton of possibilities, but being gay is one of them. We shouldn't jump to that conclusion, but I don't think we should rule it out as a possibility either. 

I saw real tears! When she came down the aisle and he wiped his cheek, he was sweating profusely at the time too. I just watched it, lol. I bet those lights were hot. But there was defiantly a tear, and sweat. He didn't seem to fake it to me. This episode has actually made me think they are a good fit, and into each other. I feel kinda bad that the boy can't be a bit more feminine without every one saying he is gay. Image what he hears in his circle. He is probably over compensating because he gets it so much. 

I’m forcing my love to watch this against his will. After 38 minutes he said “in 24 hours he’s going to be spanking it to Redtube and she’s going to be knocked up.”

That bower of flowers was beautiful.

Why those women think that long scraggly hair looks good I will never know.  Not trying to be mean but please, just a professional trim and it would look so much better. 

20 minutes ago, amers said:

I feel kinda bad that the boy can't be a bit more feminine without every one saying he is gay. Image what he hears in his circle. He is probably over compensating because he gets it so much. 

I don't know if this was directed at me or not, but I never said that Josiah was feminine. I gave my reasons why I think he might be, and none of them were based on him acting feminine. His relationship with Lauren seems good to you, which is great, but it doesn't to me. And as I said above, Josiah's acted more subdued/sadder since he was a teen--that is why I think he could be gay, but as I said in my original post there are many other explanations as well.

People are gay. That's just a part of life. And some of those people come from fundementalist backgrounds that make them feel like they have to fake being straight to survive. I know this probably wasn't your intent, but to me when I hear people say stuff like "why does everyone think he's gay that's so wrong" it makes me feel like being called gay is an insult. Like being  called gay is the worst thing you could ever call a straight person. Again, I know this probably isn't the intent, and I hope it doesn't sound like I'm attacking any posters because I certainly don't mean to, but I feel like acting this way is a part of looking at the world through hetero-lens. A few posters have commented on how Josiah probably can't wait to take Lauren to the hotel, like it's a given that a young man can barely keep it in his pants around a woman, and no one thinks that's making an assumption. Suggest that maybe he isn't that into women, and people treat it like it's the most ridiculous idea they've ever heard. 

34 minutes ago, BernRul said:

I don't know if this was directed at me or not, but I never said that Josiah was feminine. I gave my reasons why I think he might be, and none of them were based on him acting feminine. His relationship with Lauren seems good to you, which is great, but it doesn't to me. And as I said above, Josiah's acted more subdued/sadder since he was a teen--that is why I think he could be gay, but as I said in my original post there are many other explanations as well.

People are gay. That's just a part of life. And some of those people come from fundementalist backgrounds that make them feel like they have to fake being straight to survive. I know this probably wasn't your intent, but to me when I hear people say stuff like "why does everyone think he's gay that's so wrong" it makes me feel like being called gay is an insult. Like being  called gay is the worst thing you could ever call a straight person. Again, I know this probably isn't the intent, and I hope it doesn't sound like I'm attacking any posters because I certainly don't mean to, but I feel like acting this way is a part of looking at the world through hetero-lens. A few posters have commented on how Josiah probably can't wait to take Lauren to the hotel, like it's a given that a young man can barely keep it in his pants around a woman, and no one thinks that's making an assumption. Suggest that maybe he isn't that into women, and people treat it like it's the most ridiculous idea they've ever heard. 

My post had nothing to do with you, I didn't quote you. I didn't attack you. You are projecting. 

Just for me I hate the speculation about any person because it's none of our business.  

2 minutes ago, amers said:

My post had nothing to do with you, I didn't quote you. I didn't attack you. You are projecting. 

I never said you attacked me. I replied to your post because you commented about people saying Josiah was gay, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I was the only poster to give a reason why I thought he was gay. @eveandadam asked why people thought that, and as far as I saw, I was the only one who replied. Because of that, and because you commented after I gave my opinion, it seemed logical to make a connection. Like I said, I didn't know if you were referencing me or not, but I still felt like I had to explain. Sorry if it came off harshly, that wasn't my intention.

I don't see how I'm projecting. Would you like to explain further? I gave my opinion on the way we talk about sexuality, and I stand by it. As I said in my post, this wasn't meant to signal out anyone specific or make any one feel bad. It's my opinion, partly based on being a non-heterosexual living in a heterosexual society. 

I watched the new season intently for a few minutes. These two are into each other. They both seem like cerebral types which doesn't always translate into hot passion or down home comfort to others who observe, but for them it's a strong connecting point. They also may be private types. I do see some mismatched engery with them but I can't place it.

Anyhow, I am interested in Josiah's claim that Lauren in doing college. She confirms to his sisters she just graduated. Could that be high school? Is she just starting college married or did she graduate college early?

Btw beautiful photo of them. I think it's water not snow, but I am not good at figuring out those kinds of things. 

1 hour ago, BernRul said:

People are gay. That's just a part of life. And some of those people come from fundementalist backgrounds that make them feel like they have to fake being straight to survive. I know this probably wasn't your intent, but to me when I hear people say stuff like "why does everyone think he's gay that's so wrong" it makes me feel like being called gay is an insult. Like being  called gay is the worst thing you could ever call a straight person.

It feels that way to me too, and it's interesting that multiple LGBT+ members here have expressed that. At one point I probably would have also felt the same way most of the straight people here feel about this, but I didn't expect that way these conversations have made me feel as a gay person. I know I still have a lot of insecurity about being gay that will still pop up in unexpected ways.

Previously people have said that it doesn't hurt anyone to be assumed to be straight, and I disagree with that quite a bit too. It definitely hurts gay people when you grow up with everyone, including yourself, assuming you're straight. Unraveling the compulsory heterosexuality you've internalized is really difficult and with the extra focus fundies put on marriage and babies I think that is probably especially true for fundies who are gay. But a lot of straight people don't think of that, they just focus on how they think it's wrong to suggest that someone might be gay. Even in secular culture--setting fundies aside entirely--there's a double standard there.

23 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

It feels that way to me too, and it's interesting that multiple LGBT+ members here have expressed that. At one point I probably would have also felt the same way most of the straight people here feel about this, but I didn't expect that way these conversations have made me feel as a gay person. I know I still have a lot of insecurity about being gay that will still pop up in unexpected ways.

Previously people have said that it doesn't hurt anyone to be assumed to be straight, and I disagree with that quite a bit too. It definitely hurts gay people when you grow up with everyone, including yourself, assuming you're straight. Unraveling the compulsory heterosexuality you've internalized is really difficult and with the extra focus fundies put on marriage and babies I think that is probably especially true for fundies who are gay. But a lot of straight people don't think of that, they just focus on how they think it's wrong to suggest that someone might be gay. Even in secular culture--setting fundies aside entirely--there's a double standard there.

Exactly. You said that beautifully. There's a double standard with how we talk about sexuality. People make all kinds of assumptions about Josiah and others' (hetero) sex lives and no one bats an eye, but speculate that a married adult could possibly be gay and you've crossed a line. People really don't understand how that kind of thinking impacts LGBT people.

5 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I had to laugh at the Iceland suggestion. Wayyyyy too liberal for them. :pb_lol: 

Man, if they'd waited just one more month, they could have been there for the Gay Pride Parade! I think the previous mayor of Reykjavik (Jon Gnarr) even dressed in drag for the occasion. 

EDIT to mention that this is not at all to say anything about Josiah's sexuality. He might be the straightest straight man to ever crave the flesh of a maiden. He might be so gay he can't even see straight. That doesn't matter; all I hope is that whatever he is, he finds peace and happiness in whatever way he can. What DOES matter is a return to some OG 19 Kids and Counting "oh golly gee how will these wholesome folk deal with a worldly thing they've expressed distaste for??" (cf. experiencing cultures that are not their own, meeting Dolly Parton/Dolly Parton's flotation devices, going to Disney World, going to a head shop by accident, seeing Pnina Tornai wedding dresses). 

13 hours ago, louisa05 said:

At the Christian school I taught at, they were super obsessed with women looking as good as possible. I think it may have been a Charismatic (pentecostal) thing. They would go on about Christian women being prettier than non-Christian women. Because Jesus makes you more attractive. Or, you know, Lancome does. 

Fascinating. This explains a lot about some of the people I grew up with. Totally caked on faces. 

That said, neither Lauren or Kendra's mom is overly made up. I wonder if their relatively smaller families vs. Michelle and Kelly Bates somehow help. I was watching the Joe/Kendra birth episode and it just struck me how simple their lives are. I'm not saying having babies and raising them is easy... but there is something more simple about their lives... you put everything in God's hands, don't worry about harshly training the babies up or putting the older kids to work, home school a couple hours a day, don't have outside activities, carpools or schedules, and cook simple meals. I know cults are bad, and maybe it's b/c it's the parent's generation that chose this that there doesn't seem to be emotional stress, but these people don't seem stressed in the slightest.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived