IGNORED

Josiah and Lauren Part 10: First Look at the Wedding

Coconut Flan

44 minutes ago, karen77 said:

Why name they God in every single sentence? Please. It's obnoxious. You can be deeply religious and not to talk about God every moment. In fact they sound like a parody. 

"I went to the supermarket and God helped me to find the ice cream my wonderful husband was craving for. It's a blessing they had the flavour we were praying for. We thank God for living near such a Christian supermarket".

And I envy their travel. I love Austria.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I hope JD and Abbie go to Madrid for their honeymoon because that’s where I’ll be next semester. 

Also I was thinking that none of the Bates’ that have gotten married since the show started have gone abroad. Interesting because before they had the show Chad and Erin went to Ireland and Zach and Whitney went to Hawaii (which I know is technically the US but it’s still a long ways to go) . I thought since they have the show now they would travel abroad more. 

I, too, love Austria. We are planning to go back there next year on our "Continental Tour" for our 20th anniversary. lol

1 hour ago, VBOY9977 said:

Man I hope JD and Abbie go to Madrid for their honeymoon because that’s where I’ll be next semester. 

If they get married in october/november, they might not go to Madrid or any other place in Europe. It's not the best season to visit, even though it's of course possible. Perhaps somewhere in South America? I don't really know what the weather is like there in november, but it is the southern hemisphere. 

Wow, Lauren is really articulate and can reason beyond “marriage is great, I’m so lucky”. Josiah ís lucky to have an intelligent woman. I have a feeling she has more funk in her, like Marjorie, than people credit her for because of her voice. 

I like that it was Lauren who wanted to visit Austria, so at least once she got to do what she wanted. Let's hope this is not the last time.

2 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Based on my experience with fundies, no, it probably has not had any negative effects on her.

Possibly quite the opposite. Satan attacks the holiest people. We (FJ as a whole) are not Christians with the gift of prophecy, we are tools of Satan. If we were good Bible believing Christians, we wouldn't be on an internet forum talking about other good Christians in a negative way. Thus, if Jinger is being attacked by tools of Satan, she must be doing something right or God must have a special call on her life for ministry or perhaps He has planned for her godly example to change all of our hearts. 

And so they likely sometimes pray for all of us to know Jesus as well. 

*None of this is to say that many FJers are not Christians, but the Duggars would never think that we are. 

And in my experience with fundies I think the gay rumors could very well have less effect than  saying one of the kids seems rebellious. They don't really believe one of their kids could end up gay (I have literally heard fundies say that it's impossible for their children to be gay, no matter what anyone else thinks... my own mother said "God wouldn't do that to [her]" at the question of having a gay child) and are unlikely to believe one of their kids is gay just from rumors; it would just enforce their belief that evil liberals think everyone is gay. With rumors they might be more strident about enforcing their version of masculinity/femininity, but they do that anyway, so rumors from people they already think are evil are very different from actually credibly outing someone, which is when I would really worry for the kid.

On the other hand. they see the risk of rebellion as very real and I think they would be very upset that one of their children is perceived as a rebel. I've seen parents, including a few times my own, get very angry about the slightest hint of a child being "rebellious," to the point where the very word is still a little upsetting to me in this context.

Plus just in general I don't think it's possible that an underaged girl could be unaffected by knowing there's a website named after her that is used to disparage her family. When I say negative effects, though, I'm talking about effects that I perceive as negative. I don't mean that I think she was ever punished for the existence of this website, and I don't even think she would perceive the effects as negative, I just think it's likely that the knowledge of this site and the public perception of her created extra pressure to conform.

I do think that in general the Duggars are probably less affected by rumors than people tend to think because they do have that protective belief that they are doing what's right and criticism is Satan attacking them because they are so holy, but if we're talking about what types of speculation have the potential to hurt the targets, there are definitely multiple areas and not just the one topic.

1 hour ago, xenobia said:

If they get married in october/november, they might not go to Madrid or any other place in Europe. It's not the best season to visit, even though it's of course possible. Perhaps somewhere in South America? I don't really know what the weather is like there in november, but it is the southern hemisphere. 

Ben and Jessa went to Europe in November, Chad and Erin did so as well, so why not?

2 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Is JD licensed to fly from Arkansas to Europe (or any other continent), and does he access to the proper sort of plane? Because I really think he's going to fly to the honeymoon.

Austria is a good choice! I'd love to go there (but then I'd love to go most places :pb_lol:). I wonder if either of them is into classical music.

Austria is lovely. I'd say they should go on a beer tasting tour but you know they won't. lol

I am jealous of fundies for the 2nd time in so many days. The 1st being the Bates boys under the Hawaiian waterfall. Dam it, dam it, dam it. I am glad that it looks like Lauren and Josiah are enjoying their honeymoon. I wish them every happiness. 

4 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

I’m so jealous that they went to Vienna, I would love to go back. It’s a wonderful city. 

Me too. And what is sad is that I know there is so much they won't see and enjoy that I would.

36 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Austria is lovely. I'd say they should go on a beer tasting tour but you know they won't. lol

I would. 

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Why name they God in every single sentence? Please. It's obnoxious. You can be deeply religious and not to talk about God every moment. In fact they sound like a parody. 

You can be deeply religious but if you don't talk this way, you are not fundie. This is the fundie way. You must at all times show that God is guiding every facet of your life. Otherwise folks will think you're being worldly or self focused. There is a big emphasis on decentralizing the ego in fundiedom for those who truly believe.

Honestly, in my experience,  there are both strengths and weaknesses seeing life that way.

I really wonder if they 'only' stayed in Vienna or ventured into other parts of Austria. I'm Austrian, so I've been to Vienna plenty, and unlike many people from other countries, I am not that in love with it. But that largely has to do with the fact that I am naturally drawn to cities with either big lakes or the ocean, and Vienna doesn't have that, only the Danube, and yeah.

I do like Vienna though, and there's a lot you can do there, I wonder what they did, and I'm really curios to see this honeymoon episode. But the fact that they choose Vienna due to the Sound of Music (which is a movie that probably pretty much nobody in Austria would know) is sorta ironic, seeing as I think it was mainly based in Salzburg (as one can probably tell, I am a typically Austrian, not having seen the movie)

I do hope they had a good time here though, maybe they even learned a thing or two. One thing being that Austrians don't run around in Dirndl and Lederhosn.. :my_rolleyes:

4 hours ago, xenobia said:

Madrid in October is warm. In fact, most Europe is warm in October and a lot of southern cities are warm in November or even December (not Madrid, but Madrid highlights are museums, palaces, theaters, restaurants... You can enjoy the city no matter the weather... Except summer! Don't visit Madrid on Summer!).

I don't think John David is interested in any European city. He would probably enjoy more an outdoor honeymoon. 

Art, history and culture are not  things Duggars have any interest in unless it’s their particular very narrow  brand of Biblical  art and history. They would have more fun and get more out of a  rural retreat than a museum. 

Can I just say that The Third Man (set in Vienna), is one of my favourite movies of all time?

2 hours ago, SeekingAdventure said:

I really wonder if they 'only' stayed in Vienna or ventured into other parts of Austria. I'm Austrian, so I've been to Vienna plenty, and unlike many people from other countries, I am not that in love with it. But that largely has to do with the fact that I am naturally drawn to cities with either big lakes or the ocean, and Vienna doesn't have that, only the Danube, and yeah.

I do like Vienna though, and there's a lot you can do there, I wonder what they did, and I'm really curios to see this honeymoon episode. But the fact that they choose Vienna due to the Sound of Music (which is a movie that probably pretty much nobody in Austria would know) is sorta ironic, seeing as I think it was mainly based in Salzburg (as one can probably tell, I am a typically Austrian, not having seen the movie)

I do hope they had a good time here though, maybe they even learned a thing or two. One thing being that Austrians don't run around in Dirndl and Lederhosn.. :my_rolleyes:

TLC just posted a short clip with J&L talking to the camera about their plans. They're definitely planning to go to Salzburg. 

http://www.tlc.com/tlcme/tlcme-videos/josiah-and-lauren-duggar-share-a-message-from-their-honeymoon/

Austrian scenery is breathtaking. Sigh... I seriously need to up my travel budget in the next few years. 

Do you all think they are able to pick their destination freely or does TLC  heavily guide their choices?

6 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I, too, love Austria. We are planning to go back there next year on our "Continental Tour" for our 20th anniversary. lol

How many weeks will you take to do the tour? Trying to get some ideas.

I love Austria! I'm part Austrian, and had such a fun time discovering the culture. Vienna is gorgeous. I wonder if they're doing one of those Sound of Music Tours in Salzburg. I went on one, even though I never saw the movie. I also got to see the house Mozart was born in, which was awesome, but I don't remember what city that was. So much history, what a shame they probably won't appreciate it. 

I may or may not be ashamed to admit this,but.... I have Eidelweiss on one of my playlists. Every year, I play Favorite Things non stop as soon as Thanksgiving is over all the way into the new years. #annoying 

A Sound of Music just happens to be my favorite musical. 

I am shocked that Lauren mentions it as her reason. I need more info on this girl! While they're at it, more updates on her college courses please. 

So funny. If this was a Bates marry-in  her education would have been the first thing they mentioned about her.

Interesting the branding differences.

Sometimes when Josaiah says Lauren, if sounds like he's talking about a guy named Lorne. Perhaps I'm biased because I have a friend who was given the name Lauren at birth, and has changed it to Lorne since he started using male pronouns. We all know the only transition we'll see on this show is from friendship to courtship, courtship to marriage, etc.

Accidental double entendres (I'm sure they edited it like this on purpose):

Lauren: "He was alllways avaiable."

Jessa: " Do y'all like, videochat?"

Lauren:  "We did it for FIVE HOURS one day." (Group giggle)

Kendra: (on being alone with Joe) "...it wasn't very hard at all. (Giggle) We enjoyed it."

"It's been great that we've been able to kiss and practice that and everything." (Giggle) "not just hold hands and sidehug, we got the whole kit and caboodle."

I got a kick out of the Greek woman asking if Joe's dad ran away after having all all those kids. My partner is Greek, and that comment seems like the sense of humour I've observed in her family.

Jason with facial hair reminds me of Justin Timberlake in this video:

Spoiler

For all that Kendra's constant giggling can be annoying at times, I like how chipper and friendly she is, and how happy her and Joe seem together.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived