IGNORED

Lori Alexander 50: Making an Idol of Herself

From yesterday's doodle:

"Prior to the 20th century...Children were valued back then. They were seen as gifts from god and blessings to be received with open arms."

Is this a joke? There were probably plenty of families that could afford many "blessings" but there were just as many, if not more, that couldn't. Is Lori aware that during those years the Industrial Revolution was taking place and large numbers of children as young as five and six were working in dangerous conditions? Parents and orphanages contracted their children out to bring in much needed extra income. At the height of the IR as many as 1/3 of all boys in the US held jobs that kept them in factories or on farms for 15+ hours a day. Girls fared better but many worked as well. Does Lori know that there were no child labor laws to protect all those little blessings that were often injured or killed while working in abhorrent conditions? Child labor laws did not come into being until 1914 or so. Until then children were exploited by parents, orphanages, factories, and farms and everyone turned a blind eye. Blessings indeed.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lori said her dad had the cabin. built 34 years, so if she's 60 now she was 26 then.  But she's always said she's been going to Door County since she was a child.  Whose cabin were they staying in?  

It's strange my sister and I don't think we look much alike or sound much alike but we've been asked on multiple occasions if we're twins. She's five years younger but about three inches taller. And I've gone places in town that my sister had worked at and people are like you're her sister aren't you? You sound just alike. I think I tend to look more like which ever parent I'm standing next to lol. Or my aunts.

My sister was standing next to my grandma in church one Sunday and when I looked over they were standing the exact same way and were using the same mannerisms: expressions, smiles, hand gestures. It was hilarious. One thing I've inherited from my dad is the ability to say the strangest things with a straight face and have people believe me. Slytherin for the win. 

I think my nieces inherited the sass from me, my brother just isn't that cool. 

3 hours ago, feministxtian said:

K is capable of being sarcastic via text. The girls have twin half brothers that are older and much bigger than they are. A & K both put them in their places a few years back...they take no shit from nobody...they're my girls! Its funny how even personality can be transmitted genetically. Both girls look a lot like their mom (my daughter). A acts just like her mom and K is me, just smaller and MUCH cuter. My grandson E is like his father, mellow, everything is cool, life is good, dogs are fun, cars are necessary for enjoyment of life, food is a favorite hobby and the world begins and ends around football season. 

But, then again, my 3 are pretty much just like me...and to the rest of the world, I'm sorry :)

I just have the one, but now that she's an adult and out on her own - she is so much like me!  Same redheaded, Texan woman attitude!  Same low tolerance for BS from people. I am not complaining! I just didn't realize how much like me she is. I call her my mini-me at times.  She usually likes it.

2 hours ago, SuperNova said:

From yesterday's doodle:

"Prior to the 20th century...Children were valued back then. They were seen as gifts from god and blessings to be received with open arms."

Is this a joke? There were probably plenty of families that could afford many "blessings" but there were just as many, if not more, that couldn't. Is Lori aware that during those years the Industrial Revolution was taking place and large numbers of children as young as five and six were working in dangerous conditions? Parents and orphanages contracted their children out to bring in much needed extra income. At the height of the IR as many as 1/3 of all boys in the US held jobs that kept them in factories or on farms for 15+ hours a day. Girls fared better but many worked as well. Does Lori know that there were no child labor laws to protect all those little blessings that were often injured or killed while working in abhorrent conditions? Child labor laws did not come into being until 1914 or so. Until then children were exploited by parents, orphanages, factories, and farms and everyone turned a blind eye. Blessings indeed.

Yeah, they were valued.  As workers.  Farm hands. Factory workers.  Large families were result of no birth control, and as you stated so well Supernova, they were often exploited.  Not all families, but it was the cultural norm.

2 hours ago, SuperNova said:

From yesterday's doodle:

Just like the Old Testament, which Lori claims we can ignore...something something about The Law...except when she doesn’t want to, of course, what you’re talking about is Old History. And we can ignore it...except for the parts Lori doesn’t want to ignore. 

Forget Fake News; this is Lori’s Logic. 

Shes posting about her trip on her own Facebook page. 

31 minutes ago, Sarah92 said:

It's strange my sister and I don't think we look much alike or sound much alike but we've been asked on multiple occasions if we're twins. She's five years younger but about three inches taller. And I've gone places in town that my sister had worked at and people are like you're her sister aren't you? You sound just alike. I think I tend to look more like which ever parent I'm standing next to lol. Or my aunts.

My sister was standing next to my grandma in church one Sunday and when I looked over they were standing the exact same way and were using the same mannerisms: expressions, smiles, hand gestures. It was hilarious. One thing I've inherited from my dad is the ability to say the strangest things with a straight face and have people believe me. Slytherin for the win. 

When my aunt, dad's sister, and her daughter came when my dad died, they went with us to the funeral home to see him for the first time when he was "ready" for the services. I was standing there in the room between my aunt and cousin and my husband was suddenly staring at us with the weirdest look. He explained to me later that the three of us were standing in the exact same position with our hands exactly the same and the exact same expression on our faces, magnified by all having the same face shape, nose and mouth. He had barely met my aunt and never met my cousin before that day and had not realized how much I was like that side of the family. 

For weird genetics on Mr. 05's  side, he looks exactly like his uncle, his dad's brother. And that uncle's son looks exactly like Mr. 05's dad. You'd think the two sons were switched at birth. 

I had to leave comment on the 7/3/18 post. I'm sure it will never get published, but at least she'll see it.

Screenshot 2018-07-03 at 8.08.53 PM.png

My mom quips that she gave me birth and nothing else. I have her deep set eyes, but that’s about it, and even then mine are a different color. My face shape is roughly my dad’s. Other than that, I just look like me. Since forever, it’s been commented that I don’t resemble anyone. My brother and I look absolutely nothing alike. He does have a mild resemblance to our cousins, however. In my wedding pictures the four of us look completely unrelated. Genetics can be a funny thing. 

So today Scary Mommy shared an article about how women do owe anyone sex. And one commenter said something along the lines of "if you don't give it to them they'll go elsewhere so just lay back and do it" and someone asked her if she was "A Transformed Wife because you sure sound like one." :D 

One of my daughters took a photo of my granddaughter when she was one.  The baby was the spit-and-image of me at that age.  

My mom was out of the country when my dad was killed in a car accident.  She's gone with an older sister and a niece to see her baby sister who lived in a Middle eastern country.  My uncle worked for our embassy there and helped my mom with her arrangements to come back home almost as soon as she arrived.  I can't imagine making that long trip back grieving for the man you'd been married to for 40 years.

7 hours ago, SuperNova said:

From yesterday's doodle:

I completely agree.  And how does her "children were valued back then not like now" schtick mesh with her view that everyone is coddling and spoiling their kids by not beating and berating them constantly like she wants?  Doesn't guiding and gently correcting your kid and making sure they don't have to die in a factory fire or mine or of measles show that you value them?  I don't understand this woman.

5 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

I've been watching the slow transformation of my mother into her mother for awhile now, but I recently skyped with my sister and was speechless for a moment when I saw her - she'd gotten glasses and had done her hair darker and was the spitting image of our younger mother.  Aside from a photo I have from my sister's 12th birthday where they are facing each other across a table and look just alike, I have never noticed the striking resemblence.  I told her the glasses looked good on her and she said yeah, but they make me look like ma (the last thing she wants given their relationship).  We decided she should grow her bangs out and that would reduce the similarity.

I always think I look like my father, but everyone tells me I don't, I just have his coloring and, unfortunately, his stocky body type and hirsuitism.  Thanks, genetics!  My sister got our mom's height and slenderness (though she's stronger and muscular, whereas our mom is like a waifish fashion model) and hairless body.  My sister and I look nothing alike feature wise either, but each resemble a different brother.  I allegedly look exactly like a great grandmother on my mother's side, but have never seen a picture and when I asked for specifics all the older family members could only point to my fivehead and my breasts.  As far as I can tell our family has had exactly 2 well endowed women in its history.

My husband and his sister don't look alike and yet somehow totally do, you can tell they are siblings and they both look like a mix of their parents, but a different mix.  Genetics are interesting.

Children were not valued in the past, at least for most families. What was valued was the salary these kids will eventually bring home or the free labour they were for the own family. Even in well-off families, children were expected to care for their old parents and sometimes one of the girls wasn't allowed to marry because this reason, so they were valued as nurses, not as daugthers (which in fact, is the reason why Lori valued Cassi). 

Mothers got used to lose some of their babies or toddlers. This breaks you. So maybe they valued the first or second child, but after facing deaths, it can be very difficult to bond with the new babies. And no therapies were available  then, just "God's will". Not everybody reacted like this, but it wasn't unusual.

In the past women worked very hard. They were not steppford housewifes in beautiful homes wearing pretty aprons. My greatgrandmothers needed to go to a public fountain to get water! They cooked in the fireplace!  They raised chickens and rabbits and had to go to the fields to get grass to feed the rabbits. And most of them had to work hard in the harvest season (while cooking and everything). It was a fucked life for most. They had no time to enjoy babies.

And people who were born in industrial cities or mining towns were even more miserable!

Fuck Lori

40 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

And people who were born in industrial cities or mining towns were even more miserable!

Germinal by Emile Zola is far and away the most raw depiction of life in the coal mines. The level of misery that was experienced by children and adult alike was almost traumatizing to read. I won't even mention the animals. I usually read books over and over but Germinal is tough to revisit. Although it's beautifully written, I don't recommend reading it unless you have a strong threshold for suffering.

9 hours ago, SuperNova said:

From yesterday's doodle:

For the lower classes in the 19th century and early 20th century it was expected of their children to work at home or outside the home. There are numerous memories of children working in mines, in factories, working home on the farm or selling newpaper or cleaning shoes, and so on. And child prostitution where also widespread with the age of consent 10 years or even longer. In early 19th century Britian, a 7 year old child was considered as an adult when facing criminal charges and can could get the death penalty, but where often deported to australia. Children as young as 3 or 4 years old joined their parents on the fields during harvest and picked up potatoes for 12 hours a day. School holidays in the country where made around the harvest, so that the children where free to work the fields. And when you where working class in a industrial town, you lived with your parents and your numerous children in 2 tiny rooms and shared your bed with 2 or 3 siblings. And often these beds where rented to young men for 8 hours a day, because living was expensive. Children in elementary school got up at 3 or 4 o'clook to deliver newspapers or fresh breadrolls to middleclass families, after that go to school and after school was finished for the day, they got to their second job. And when they came home, their was no mother home, because they where working 12 hours at the factory and their younger siblings where "cared" for by neighbours who worked from home. And payment for that childcare was, that the children helped with the work. Cynically, these work where often producing toys. Getting pregnant weren't a blessing, but a catasthrope, because it meant that the mother most likely lost their job and by that a portion of the meager income. Even if she didn't, it still meant loss of income for the time she couldn't work. The same with farming. My greatgrandmother was pregant, when her husband was draftet 1914 in the WWI. She had to replace him at their small farm and I think that contributed greatly into her dying in childbirth with my grandmother. Lori should read Charles Dickens or look at the famous photographes Louis Hines made of working children at the beginning 20th century.

Being a woman in a mining town meant either working alongside the men in the mine (Netherlands, Belgium, France) or in the benefaction as coal pickers. Most families took on boarders that slept in shifts corresponding to their working shifts. There was a shittin of clothes to wash and lots of food to be cooked. (if affordable). Any parenting was done enpassant. 

11 hours ago, HoneyBunny said:

That’s the correct page. 

Thanks for responding.  I've looked at that page on both my tablet and my home computer, and can't see any entries past January.  This is bugging me.  She would not have banned me, since I have never commented on any of her sites on fb.  Oh well, I'll keep trying.

14 hours ago, SuperNova said:

From yesterday's doodle:

Is this a joke? There were probably plenty of families that could afford many "blessings" but there were just as many, if not more, that couldn't.

I truly wonder how many poor women in prior centuries rejoiced when learning of their 7th, 8th, 9th pregnancy.  I'm sure they loved their children and saw them as blessings once they were born, but were most of them really thrilled with the news that there would be yet another mouth to feed?  Did they love knowing that they'd spend their lives doing the heavy labor of housework while pregnant?  Did they have all those kids because they wanted them or because they had no other choice?  She also needs to remember that an awful lot of those blessings died as children.  But we want to go back to those good old days, right?

So can someone help a newbie out - what is the deal with the big salads?  I've picked up a lot of the Lori lore from context but I can't quite figure out the history on that one.

Lori- you live in a million dollar plus house, and you once claimed your nanny was "sent from heaven", because she held Cassi for "hours a day", when you were perfectly content to let her cry.   You wouldn't know the meaning of "nurturing".  I wouldn't put you in charge of a houseplant.  

As for children being valued in the good ol' days- My grandfather was born in 1932.  Somewhere between 6th-8th grade he was forced to drop out, and spend his days picking cotton in Dothan, AL.  

He once told me that his father woke them before dawn.  If they didn't get up, he came back with a razor strap.  His mother wrote each of her children a detailed letter telling them all the ways they'd failed her (despite the fact that my grandfather took care of her until the year before he died, and only stopped then because she died herself).  Not to worry though, because she forgave them, and trusted that God would sufficiently punish them for not doing whatever it was she wanted them to do.

They were HARD people.  Lori is full of shit.

11 hours ago, Quiver Full of Kittens said:

My mom quips that she gave me birth and nothing else. I have her deep set eyes, but that’s about it, and even then mine are a different color. My face shape is roughly my dad’s. Other than that, I just look like me. Since forever, it’s been commented that I don’t resemble anyone. My brother and I look absolutely nothing alike. He does have a mild resemblance to our cousins, however. In my wedding pictures the four of us look completely unrelated. Genetics can be a funny thing. 

We've never figured out who the hell my brother looks like, either. At a family event last weekend, my mother's cousin said he reminded him a bit of his late brother who also seemed to resemble no one. And on thinking about it, they are a bit similar in looks and in personality as well. So maybe there is some person way back on the family tree on that side that none of us knew. He and I certainly look nothing alike. People have assumed we are a couple when we've been in public together as adults. That is pretty cringe inducing. 

12 hours ago, EowynW said:

So today Scary Mommy shared an article about how women do owe anyone sex. And one commenter said something along the lines of "if you don't give it to them they'll go elsewhere so just lay back and do it" and someone asked her if she was "A Transformed Wife because you sure sound like one." :D 

That idea is everywhere. I grew up with it (in fundydom, of course), but I also hear it in my menopause pages from women who aren't the least bit religious. And when you're in peri or meno, that's honestly the last thing you want to hear. Women can have anything from vaginal atrophy and dryness to prolapse and outright pain. And then someone comes along and tells you that if you don't fuck your husband, he'll cheat. It's complete BS.

If your husband's commitment is that flimsy, then you're better off without him. 

10 minutes ago, polecat said:

That idea is everywhere. I grew up with it (in fundydom, of course), but I also hear it in my menopause pages from women who aren't the least bit religious. And when you're in peri or meno, that's honestly the last thing you want to hear. Women can have anything from vaginal atrophy and dryness to prolapse and outright pain. And then someone comes along and tells you that if you don't fuck your husband, he'll cheat. It's complete BS.

If your husband's commitment is that flimsy, then you're better off without him. 

It is complete BS.  I still do not understand how women are expected to be all self-sacrificing and screw their husbands on demand, but men are "animals" who just "need" to have sex or they will chew off their legs to get some strange sex from somewhere.

Maybe women "need" to have intimate connection in conversation.  Should we all threaten to run off and have emotional affairs if we don't get it daily?

Ridiculous.

I don’t look like my brother. I don’t particularly look like either parent either, but I apparently resemble my dad’s side of the family more than I do my mum’s. I don’t know where the red hair comes from, for example. My aunt says that my cousin and I (her youngest son, who’s ten years younger than me) have the same smile, but I’ve not seen it, mainly because there aren’t many photos of us together. 

Lori is a bitch. That is all.

I was sick for three weeks and still am not feeling 100%. First was a sinus and ear infection followed by bad side effects from a steroid shot then followed by ten days of being a benadryl zombie trying to keep antibiotic side effects at bay. And all of that was followed by a horrid 9 day period (could be a peri symptom, could be an effect of the steroid shot as that is noted in common side effects for it or may be both?). So it's been a month of celibacy around here. Husband is dealing because life happens. And he absolutely wouldn't want sex with me sick or half asleep from Benadryl or in pain from side effects. Because he is not a neanderthal. 

Lori, your husband is an asshole. Period. Only a complete jackass demands sex the way you indicate he does. Instead of telling other women to give in the way you do, you may want to come to terms with the fact that you married a selfish asshole. Of course, you are a vain self-centered bitch, so that may be something you want to deal with as well. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived