IGNORED

Lori Alexander 48: The Complaining of the Shrew

Even if I had the money to replace my clothing after wearing it only seven times, I wouldn't do that! Since I lost over 100 lb in the last 2 years, everything in my closet is younger than 2, so no need to replace that. My old clothes were either sold as a package over facebook or moved directly to donation container. I also sold my old tankini and bra's, since that in my former size is very hard to find and to afford. I don't know why, but german shops and onlineshops seldom have nice bra's and underwired bathing wear in anything larger than an F cup. I still have to order it in GB :(

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mother-in-law has a walk in closet plus an entire room in her house filled with clothes, many with the tags still on, most worn once or twice, and the entire garage is filled with shoes.  I lived with her for 5 years and rarely saw her repeat an outfit.  She is single, makes a very comfortable living, has a ton in savings, owns her house outright (and we paid a competitive rent while we were there) and her hobby is going clothes shopping almost every week and buying anything that catches her eye.  They're not high end clothes, but she never buys second hand.  She's currently running out of room so I am curious if she'll give some away or it'll turn into a hoarding situation (she has hoarding tendencies but we and her sister got her to get rid of a lot of old magazines, empty margarine tubs and the like a few years ago and she seems happier for it).  She is also a much warmer, more generous, and less superficial and materialistic person than Lori.

I am trying to lose between 50 and 75lbs so right now I have a closet full of clothes I can't wear that I used to wear all the time and really would love to wear again.  I have things that are 20 years old and still in good condition.  I don't want to buy new, bigger clothes so I have like 3 things that fit when I go out and get worn again and again and again, and a handful of pjs and yoga wear/sweats I wear around the house.

7 minutes ago, IntrinsicallyDisordered said:

My mother-in-law has a walk in closet plus an entire room in her house filled with clothes, many with the tags still on, most worn once or twice, and the entire garage is filled with shoes.

My mother had 2 walk in closets FULL of clothes, shoes and bags. I swear half of them still had tags on them. They all got donated. I just got rid of a dress I bought for one kid's first communion like in 1993-1994(?). And speaking of ANCIENT clothes, I have MY first communion dress from 1969-1970ish. I won't get rid of it though, my grandmother made it. I need to (hand)wash it in some oxyclean and put it in a bag...

I need to get my shit together and get busy with my dad's shadowbox. I have one of his shirts with all the patches and insignia on it, his flag from his funeral and I'm sending away for all his medals/ribbons/decorations. I'll probably end up giving it to #1 son the veteran. I also want to make a shadowbox for hubs too...his dress blue jumper, medals/ribbons and retirement flag. Yeah, that'll all get done about the same time I scan all the old pictures!

53 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

And speaking of ANCIENT clothes, I have MY first communion dress from 1969-1970ish

Ancient?! That dress is a babe in the woods. Try hand washing in Woolite, oxyclean might be too harsh. When you store it, loosely roll it instead of folding and wrap in unbleached muslin to help it stay in good shape.

I really love collecting vintage. It's always a bonus when what I buy fits but its not a deal breaker if it doesn't. As a result, I own "unwearable" clothes. But when it comes to a working wardrobe I wear my clothes till they fall apart and even then I just keep making repairs until it finally dies. If it's something useable like cotton, it gets cut into rags. 

13 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

Ancient?! That dress is a babe in the woods. Try hand washing in Woolite, oxyclean might be too harsh. When you store it, loosely roll it instead of folding and wrap in unbleached muslin to help it stay in good shape.

It's been on a hanger for like FORFUCKINGEVER. I'll wash it after we move, our new place has a farmhouse style sink. 

10 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

It's been on a hanger for like FORFUCKINGEVER. I'll wash it after we move, our new place has a farmhouse style sink. 

You're moving? That's awesome! You and hubby must be so happy.

40 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

I really love collecting vintage. It's always a bonus when what I buy fits but its not a deal breaker if it doesn't. As a result, I own "unwearable" clothes. But when it comes to a working wardrobe I wear my clothes till they fall apart and even then I just keep making repairs until it finally dies. If it's something useable like cotton, it gets cut into rags. 

I am vintage. LOL. 

My clothes consist of 2 pairs of going-to-town jeans, a dozen t-shirts, 2 hoodies, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 sets of good long underwear, 3 pairs of Carhartts (one lined for winter) and lots of wool socks. I am pretty low maintenance - living for years in one-room cabins or in wall tents meant there wasn't room for a lot of things. When I moved to Alaska, all my personal belongings fit into 8 plastic totes. 

Lori is so out of touch with real world living, it boggles my mind. Her world, while privileged, is truly awful. I can't imagine living every day by all those ridiculous rules and standards and how it must feel to fail. Such a waste of a life. 

I have been away for a few days and I noticed you said you wanted to see the dog I referred to as the tribble. Here she is. First pic is her after a run to check out trail conditions. As you can see, they were very muddy. The second is her "smile". I can tell her to smile and she will. This is also how she greets people which freaks them out. She adores all people - especially children. 

And yes we have two dog couches in our home. The third one is supposed to be for humans, but the dogs frequently ignore the memo. We have wood floors (tile in the kitchen).....got rid of the carpet when we moved into this place because of the fur. I sweep and mop and don't worry too much. We have a small place - about 700 sq ft and so it's pretty easy to keep clean. Not Lori clean mind you. Her head would likely explode if she came for a visit. 

sasha dirt.jpg

sasha teeth.jpg

28 minutes ago, livinglongerthanyou said:

I am vintage. LOL. 

My clothes consist of 2 pairs of going-to-town jeans, a dozen t-shirts, 2 hoodies, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 sets of good long underwear, 3 pairs of Carhartts (one lined for winter) and lots of wool socks. I am pretty low maintenance - living for years in one-room cabins or in wall tents meant there wasn't room for a lot of things. When I moved to Alaska, all my personal belongings fit into 8 plastic totes. 

Lori is so out of touch with real world living, it boggles my mind. Her world, while privileged, is truly awful. I can't imagine living every day by all those ridiculous rules and standards and how it must feel to fail. Such a waste of a life. 

I have been away for a few days and I noticed you said you wanted to see the dog I referred to as the tribble. Here she is. First pic is her after a run to check out trail conditions. As you can see, they were very muddy. The second is her "smile". I can tell her to smile and she will. This is also how she greets people which freaks them out. She adores all people - especially children. 

And yes we have two dog couches in our home. The third one is supposed to be for humans, but the dogs frequently ignore the memo. We have wood floors (tile in the kitchen).....got rid of the carpet when we moved into this place because of the fur. I sweep and mop and don't worry too much. We have a small place - about 700 sq ft and so it's pretty easy to keep clean. Not Lori clean mind you. Her head would likely explode if she came for a visit. 

sasha dirt.jpg

sasha teeth.jpg

I own not much more than you,  I have small wardrobe, that's about half full. I don't need more and should I need something special, I can allways call my best friend and say the magic word shopping.

Your little mud monster is totally adorable, my furball also really loves mud and has long hair and looks much the same after a nice walk in the woods  :D . And thankfully I have a leather couch, so no problem with him on the couch. 

13 hours ago, Briefly said:

Mr. Briefly asked what I was reading.  I told him about this thread.  He thinks it's funny that we've gone from Lori to firemen's posteriors.

Not to make anyone jealous, but I get to grope a firefighter's butt on a daily basis. :dancing-demon:

5 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

OK who is Molly Childs? That’s totally a FJ member and not a fundie BJU girl.

She has a photo of "West Liberty University," too. lol. 

I'm kinda hoping Cindy DeLoit is also an FJer, but I'm not gonna hold my breath because this was my parents' reasoning for requiring us to wear culottes *shudder* even at home, never ever pants, not even pajama pants.

1289387650_Screenshot2018-06-11at8_21_43AM.png.8171316461be8bb5576afce8c47ff98d.png

Also, this is some pretty asinine reasoning, too. People do all kinds of perfectly benign things at home that they'd never do in public because they're not socially acceptable for whatever reason. 

7 hours ago, livinglongerthanyou said:

I am vintage. LOL. 

sasha dirt.jpg

sasha teeth.jpg

What a doll :my_heart:  She has such a sweet face, and I love her smile!

I have to say I have lots of clothes, partly cause of weight gain & lost (10 pounds down recently.) But who cares what I have in my closet? I like clothes and it is no one else’s business. My bills are paid & my kid taken care of so I’m good. Don’t care to engage in any competition. Lori likes to get her fan girls outdoing themselves in a competition that she herself could not participate in.

added- I don’t get rid of clothes after7 wears either. That is just stupid, unless you’re Kate Middleton or similarly rich & under constant media scrutiny.

4 minutes ago, Chocolatedefrauded said:

I have to say I have lots of clothes, partly cause of weight gain & lost (10 pounds down recently.) But who cares what I have in my closet? I like clothes and it is no one else’s business. My bills are paid & my kid taken care of so I’m good. Don’t care to engage in any competition. Lori likes to get her fan girls outdoing themselves in a competition that she herself could not participate in.

I was thinking about adding that to my post. I love hear my about thriftiness as someone who shops at thrift stores a lot.  But there's also nothing wrong with new clothes fairly often. Because like you said, if the other bills are paid what does it matter? 

Also I'm gonna throw out there that I don't believe Lori wrote that post on Trump. It's too long, wordy, and too many big words for her. I sense Ken behind it. It's also laughably misinformed in a way that they're trying to sound intelligent but are still wrong. Do I wish Trump was a pragmatist with no connection to liberal or conservative? Yes, because I'm neither and think the whole thing can just be silly. But Trump is not a pragmatic at all. He is hardly free of emotions and his Twitter says so. 

1 hour ago, polecat said:

She has a photo of "West Liberty University," too. lol. 

I'm kinda hoping Cindy DeLoit is also an FJer, but I'm not gonna hold my breath because this was my parents' reasoning for requiring us to wear culottes *shudder* even at home, never ever pants, not even pajama pants.

1289387650_Screenshot2018-06-11at8_21_43AM.png.8171316461be8bb5576afce8c47ff98d.png

Also, this is some pretty asinine reasoning, too. People do all kinds of perfectly benign things at home that they'd never do in public because they're not socially acceptable for whatever reason. 

Are you me? Exact same. Cullotes, no pajama pants, no swim suit even in a fenced in girls only pool. It was such bullshit that never made any sense whatsoever. 

We are going through a decluttering kick right now. We are in a hard season and the only thing that feels in our control is our house, eating habits and yard. So we are trying to spend extra time and care on all 3 right now. I can't decluttering our clothes tho because they are nice clothes I'm trying to fit back into. 

15 minutes ago, EowynW said:

Are you me? Exact same. Cullotes, no pajama pants, no swim suit even in a fenced in girls only pool. It was such bullshit that never made any sense whatsoever. 

We are going through a decluttering kick right now. We are in a hard season and the only thing that feels in our control is our house, eating habits and yard. So we are trying to spend extra time and care on all 3 right now. I can't decluttering our clothes tho because they are nice clothes I'm trying to fit back into. 

Oh yes ... on the rare occasion that we *could* swim, we got the pleasure of swimming in these voluminous culottes, which just poofed up all around us. We looked idiotic and felt worse. 

Fundies constrict girls and women in every possible way. "If you can't do it modestly and in a skirt, then you shouldn't be doing it at all!" Which meant that there were many, many activities we just couldn't do. 

Good luck with the decluttering! We just did that ourselves to prep for a graduation party. It feels good to get all the unnecessary stuff out. Hope all goes well with you. 

29 minutes ago, Sarah92 said:

snipped

Also I'm gonna throw out there that I don't believe Lori wrote that post on Trump. It's too long, wordy, and too many big words for her. I sense Ken behind it. It's also laughably misinformed in a way that they're trying to sound intelligent but are still wrong. Do I wish Trump was a pragmatist with no connection to liberal or conservative? Yes, because I'm neither and think the whole thing can just be silly. But Trump is not a pragmatic at all. He is hardly free of emotions and his Twitter says so. 

I think it was written by a Fox commenter, if I read it correctly.

43 minutes ago, Chocolatedefrauded said:

added- I don’t get rid of clothes after7 wears either. That is just stupid, unless you’re Kate Middleton or similarly rich & under constant media scrutiny.

And Kate repeats a lot. Enough to make her fangirls testy about it. There are dresses/coats and other items she has appeared in 3 and 4 times which is heavy repetition for someone in her role. She tends to wear shoes until they wear out which makes the fangirls who want to buy everything she wears very upset. During this last pregnancy, she hardly wore anything new, repeating stuff from her first two instead. 

And I know this because apparently I have nothing better to do. 

I have a lot of clothing. I have dresses that I may wear only a handful of times but that is because they are nicer and we don't go to nice stuff all that much. So I have a dress I bought for a wedding that I've worn maybe three times. The black dress I bought for my father's funeral has been worn for that and a handful of other funerals. But I wear jeans and shorts until they self-destruct and purged a bunch of t-shirts that were 15-20 years old and getting little holes in the fabric when we moved last year. Work clothes get rotated through and worn way more than seven times. I work four days a week on average and have two pairs of pants and one pair of leggings for winter weather--so they absolutely get worn more than that as do sweaters and cardigans. 

Lori's meme must have come from 1%memes dot com????

18 minutes ago, polecat said:

Oh yes ... on the rare occasion that we *could* swim, we got the pleasure of swimming in these voluminous culottes, which just poofed up all around us. We looked idiotic and felt worse. 

Fundies constrict girls and women in every possible way. "If you can't do it modestly and in a skirt, then you shouldn't be doing it at all!" Which meant that there were many, many activities we just couldn't do. 

Good luck with the decluttering! We just did that ourselves to prep for a graduation party. It feels good to get all the unnecessary stuff out. Hope all goes well with you. 

I think it was written by a Fox commenter, if I read it correctly.

"If you can't do it in a skirt, GOD NEVER INTENDED YOU TO DO IT."

7 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

OK who is Molly Childs? That’s totally a FJ member and not a fundie BJU girl.

Did she comment against Lori?  I've questioned her fundie BJU status for a good while now...

She corrected it apparently it's from some pastor dude? But I have no idea why she's copy his article word for word instead of linking it to his site. If his site has paid ads then he's losing money with lost views. Not that I think this guy actually deserves money. She should say hey check out the blog I enjoyed this title and leave it. Although I can't check out the blog because my schools wifi blocked it lol. 

Also I read the article from daily mail that was talking about the wearing clothes seven times and I didn't see it connected to the actual research study and the population size was only a couple thousand. No details of SES, income, or job types were noted. Because those things aren't noted it's hard to tell of the info is even worth considering. Also I didn't see the author of the survey listed anywhere. My APA sense say no on that kind of research. Not that we should try to reduce waste but dailymail is not a good source of info. But Lori and Ken love it. 

image.png

8 hours ago, SuperNova said:

You're moving? That's awesome! You and hubby must be so happy.

We're planning on August. We found a really nice apartment and are going to start the leasing process in a couple of weeks. I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!!!!

22 minutes ago, Sarah92 said:

Also I read the article from daily mail that was talking about the wearing clothes seven times and I didn't see it connected to the actual research study and the population size was only a couple thousand. No details of SES, income, or job types were noted. Because those things aren't noted it's hard to tell of the info is even worth considering. Also I didn't see the author of the survey listed anywhere. My APA sense say no on that kind of research. Not that we should try to reduce waste but dailymail is not a good source of info. But Lori and Ken love it. 

Lori and Ken love any info that backs up their personal views. And Lori wants to assume that everyone is as wasteful as her and that women only work to buy stuff they don't need, so that statistic is perfect for her message. I highly doubt it is even close to accurate for the average working person. We all may have a few things we only wear sparsely--but it is likely that those things are purchased for specific types of situations, too. Or are gifts from clueless people. I got rid of a couple of things I had never worn a single time when I purged before moving last summer, but both were oddball gifts. One was a sweatshirt my aunt gave me once with a giant picture of a Bible on it that said something stupid like "follow the instruction book". Never wore it once. And found it to be a really weird gift for a Catholic that does not subscribe to Sola Scriptura. And most women have likely had at least one once worn bridesmaid dress hanging in their closet for a year or two or longer. 

@livinglongerthanyou your tribble is adorable. That smile! Please tell her I love her and that she's a good girl and that she needs all the treats. I have 3 cats but since moving to a bigger place last summer we've been considering adding to the crew and getting a dog. We'll probably have to settle for a golden retriever since I don't know where to find a tribble.

If you average out all the clothes people OWN, including wedding dresses and bridesmaid dresses, and that skirt that you really love and was only $8 but you haven't had an occasion to wear it yet,  and that suit you hope to maybe someday fit back into, and that box of clothes your sister gave you when she lost a bunch of weight that you haven't gone through yet, and that awesome t-shirt you bought online that is just a smidgen too small, and the jeans that were great in the store but slide down your butt after you wear them for more than an hour... 

Yeah, I suppose for some people stuff might average out to only 7 wears. But that might be people like me, with packrat tendencies and fluctuating weight who love fashion and style but in real life live in the same handful of t-shirts and jeans until they wear out.

I just donated about 4 big garbage bags full of clothes. and still have WAY too much. I need to figure out a better way of storing them... I'm an out of sight-out of mind type person, so stuff in drawers gets crammed in and forgotten. but my closet is both tiny and essentially useless - it's a reach-in with deep areas on each side that are inaccessible. So right now I have a floordrobe. I've considered removing the closet entirely and putting Ikea Pax units in there, but that's a lot of money and work, plus is bad for resale value on the house down the road. I've never found a clothes organizing system that works well for me, yet.

I think it is actually Lori who has a lot of clothes.  Look back over her blog, Instagram, and "Youtubes".  The only outfit you EVER see on repeat, is her Lumberjack Lori shirt and black leggings.  (I call it that, because she accused other women of dressing like lumberjacks, and didn't think anything of wearing a green/plaid/flannel with black pants and boots, herself).

Anyway, someone in the comments of that particular Instagram said:

I’m working on this, oh, how I’m working on this! Not my strongest quality, but I’ve been asking God to help me with it the past year, and He is.

Yes, honey.  God's helping your pare down your wardrobe.  I mean sure, there are people dying of cancer/starving/enduring abuse, but in the grand scheme of things, that's not important to God.  What really matters, is you picking an arbitrary number of clothing items, and sticking to it...with God's help, of course.  He's the ultimate fashionista.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived