IGNORED

Lori Alexander 48: The Complaining of the Shrew

Wow. Lori watches a lot of TV. Mr Nova and I moved to a new city last August and never bothered with getting a dish. We don't really miss it because we never watched much TV anyway. 

2 hours ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

I dunno, staring at a naked man's behind is dwelling on the lovely for me. 

It depends on the behind. Don't forget that we are to reverence our headships. Remember: To thine own behind be true.

@Koala Lori is careful to preface her post with this, "Are you investing in a career or ministry outside your home?" Bolding mine. I like the part where she says that if I just pay attention to the man, eventually my love for him will grow.   

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Yep. I've got more than that. But those are the ones that came to mind first. I'm sure every family tree has its fair share of stories of adultery, divorce, "early" babies, spousal abandonment, and---gasp!--working mothers. 

My family tree involves someone being "kidnapped" by the neighbors who were tasked to look after him, a first marriage that no one knew about, a stepparent death from strep throat, and a whole lot of women working. 

If Lori likes Downton Abbey so much, how does she feel about:

The Turkish diplomat, Kemal Pamuk dying in Lady Mary's bed?

Lady Edith not only having Marigold out of wedlock, but considering an abortion when she found out that she was pregnant?

Lady Mary going away for the weekend with with Lord Gillingham to see if they were sexually compatible.  She even had Anna get her a diaphragm or as Phyne Fisher called it "an internal device".  (She clapped it over a trapdoor spider which she thought was a deadly one.)

The maid, Ethel, not only having a baby out of wedlock with an officer that was recuperating at DA during the War, and then having to resort to prostitution to support her son and herself.

Even Mrs Patmore had that awkward talk with Carson about whether he expected Mrs Hughes to have sex after they were married.  Why, yes, he did and he didn't mind a bit that Mrs Hughes wasn't a bright young thing.

I almost forgot this and had to add it:  Thomas Barrow who becomes the butler of Downton Abbey, after Carson is forced to retire, is gay!

9 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Phyne Fisher called it "an internal device".  (She clapped it over a trapdoor spider which she thought was a deadly one.)

I truly adore Phryne Fisher. :fire-nanner:

My grandma is in her 80's and always surprises me with a new bit of info about her life. If I remember correctly her father left and her mother remarried. My dad was telling her about a man he met at a grocery store and her reply was  a casual "oh that's your biological grandpa". 

She recently told me she had sold real estate.She also owned a sewing shop. When she was young her mother made her go pick at a strawberry farm which apparently was a version of living hell. My family says going to a strawberry farm instead of going to hell. My dad says he remembers her working since the time he was in 4th grade. 

I also think my granpa's parents were divorced and then his mom remarried and from it he had a total of like 12 siblings one of whom apparently ran away and joined a circus. Idk if that's true or supposed to mean something else but that's the story. 

On my moms side, her parents regularly cheated on each other apparently and her father was just generally a grumpy mean man. Not so much now but growing up it wasn't nice. 

Going back just two generations in my family you will find lovely people and kind, dedicated Christians. You will also find adultery, divorce, two "out of wedlock" births, a couple shotgun weddings, one (possibly sociopathic) grifter, a neglected child, alcoholism, a few fistfights,  and the creepy neighbor who groped my aunt when she was 12.  In our defense, it's a very big family.  :562479596b220_32(22): Still, I'm sure there are families with less dysfunction out there--maybe Lori's is one of them, or maybe they are better at keeping secrets.  The point is that this stuff, and worse, has been going on since time began, and her 50s-sitcom fantasy is just bizarre. I guess she missed the Bible verse that says "There is nothing new under the sun."

1 hour ago, saintmom said:

SHOCKING!!!!

I know right? All those heathen nuns actually devoting their lives to helping others, just like Jesus did.

Building a huge hospital and actually practising what they preach. Going childless, how dare they?

My great grandmother lived through two world wars. WWI was her childhood and her husband died during WWII.

She managed a laundry service and insisted on working there until she was 93. (her 2 daughters ran it it for the last couple of decades.)

12 minutes ago, Emilycharlotte said:

Still, I'm sure there are families with less dysfunction out there--maybe Lori's is one of them, or maybe they are better at keeping secrets.  

I'd go with them being better at keeping secrets.  Either that or it's Lori's selective memory again. 

Love the doggy thread drift :my_heart:  Actually, I am getting to where I love pretty much any drift that takes our minds off of all the crazy shit that Lori gets up to.

What are you guys having for dinner?  We are having chicken noodle casserole (something I saw on Pinterest) w/ fresh corn on the cob & baby lima beans.  Choc. cake for dessert.

20 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Yep. I've got more than that. But those are the ones that came to mind first. I'm sure every family tree has its fair share of stories of adultery, divorce, "early" babies, spousal abandonment, and---gasp!--working mothers. 

My family background is working class and poor farmers, so early babies and even out of wedlock were common. And working mothers, either in the factory or in the fields was the rule, not the exeption. They where much to valuable and the family income to small to be a simple homemaker. My female ancestors had their huge workload cut out for them.

Taking KoalaPuppy pics down, because Lori's a crazy lady, and I don't want her trying to track me down via my puppy.  :pb_lol:

Add me to the list of colorful past families.  My maternal grandfather was unofficially adopted into the family who's name we carry.  We don't actually know his parentage.  He and a woman, who I assume was his mother, show up in the 1910's as boarders/laborers in the house.   Apparently they treated the lady like a servant but had given the boy (my moms father) their last name sometime between his teens & twenties.  He married my grandmother in the mid-20's & she swore he was much older than what was on his baptism record.  Mom called the adopters her grandparents, she was always taught to call the other lady simply by her name.  My dad's side is a jumble of massive sharecropping families, drunks, abusers, & hardworking women.  Those who wanted out of the chaos joined the military or were forced in a'la: "you go to war or you go to jail".  The women sucked it up & either left the men or simply made their own lives.  Two of my great-aunts (born in the 20's) were college educated & proud of it.  

I wanna mush all those fluffy doggies.....

LOVE the pups!! I want another pup when we have a house but, my 2 legged headship*** is right. We're "empty nesters" and a pup would hobble us in terms of going out and having fun. The feline headships can take care of themselves for even a weekend and a friend of mine can come take care of them if we're gone longer. A canine headship is more work and time...

***The 2 legged headship is subservient to the 4 legged headships too. They rule the roost, we exist to provide food, water, clean litter, pats, pets, cuddles and skritches. 

40 minutes ago, squiddysquid said:

I know right? All those heathen nuns actually devoting their lives to helping others, just like Jesus did.

Building a huge hospital and actually practising what they preach. Going childless, how dare they?

My great grandmother lived through two world wars. WWI was her childhood and her husband died during WWII.

She managed a laundry service and insisted on working there until she was 93. (her 2 daughters ran it it for the last couple of decades.)

Which leads me to ask, what does the Great Teacher her worship think of nuns?  Unmarried, no kids, and they work......hmmmmmmmmm

25 minutes ago, Koala said:

What are you guys having for dinner?  We are having chicken noodle casserole (something I saw on Pinterest) w/ fresh corn on the cob & baby lima beans.

Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, fresh green beans......

24 minutes ago, Koala said:

What are you guys having for dinner?  We are having chicken noodle casserole (something I saw on Pinterest) w/ fresh corn on the cob & baby lima beans.  Choc. cake for dessert.

I wish I could participate in the doggy thread drift but I have none of my own yet. I hope moving forward I'll be able to find a place that allows for some type of animal besides a fish. I'd post my dog nephews but idk how my sister would feel. 

I'mhaving leftovers. I made some great breaded pork chops, sweet potatoes, and a corn casserole the other night for my roommate and I. I take it that your casserole looks much better than Lori's soup? 

2 minutes ago, SongRed7 said:

Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, fresh green beans......

That sounds so good!  One of my favorites.

@Koala

He is such a cuttie and makes a really good figure lieing on the bed :D . Give him a hug and a nice thread from me.

And here pictures from my puppy, before and after his first ever visit to the groomer

20180509_143313.thumb.jpg.4e61dc56692b5f2fba6a4f5a3cb1e747.jpg

20180523_161115.thumb.jpg.1e4d507564bf1a94281012212588472d.jpg

For dinner did I had pork steaks, marinaded for 48 hours with mustard, onions, garlic in beer with fried potatoes, the onions from the marinade fried and a sauce made of the residue from the steak frying and the marinade. And watermelon for dessert.

Dinner tonight is spaghetti. Sauce made from scratch. I hate sauce from jars. 

Of course, since my in-laws are the greatest cooks in history (SiL has even blogged about it!), Mr. 05 had never had homemade spaghetti sauce prior to living with me. 

18 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

LOVE the pups!! I want another pup when we have a house but, my 2 legged headship*** is right. We're "empty nesters" and a pup would hobble us in terms of going out and having fun. The feline headships can take care of themselves for even a weekend and a friend of mine can come take care of them if we're gone longer. A canine headship is more work and time...

***The 2 legged headship is subservient to the 4 legged headships too. They rule the roost, we exist to provide food, water, clean litter, pats, pets, cuddles and skritches. 

Same. Keep the dog pics coming! I always said I want a dog after I graduate from university. Preferably a newfoundlander or a Bernedoodle. If you're ever in a bad mood google doodles/poodle mixes :) (Goldendoodle, Labradoodle, Maltipoo,Cockapoo! )

We had dog (and 3 cats, an army of guinea pigs, bunnies, parrots...) growing up and just walking past a dog on the street makes my day.

But then I think, 'what about overseas holidays, nightshifts and getting up at least 30mins earlier to take them on walk... Then I think if I'm not ready to do that, don't even begin thinking about children - not that I want any. Dogs>>>basically any other species>>>human rugrats

1 minute ago, squiddysquid said:

But then I think, 'what about overseas holidays, nightshifts and getting up at least 30mins earlier to take them on walk... Then I think if I'm not ready to do that, don't even begin thinking about children - not that I want any. Dogs>>>basically any other species>>>human rugrats

Exactly! A dog is a lot of work. I had dogs almost my entire life and I'm really missing having one. But, right now we live in an apartment and that's a no-go for a dog. Even when we move to a house, it'd still be a no-go because we are enjoying our freedom. 

10 minutes ago, klein_roeschen said:

@Koala

He is such a cuttie and makes a really good figure lieing on the bed :D . Give him a hug and a nice thread from me.

And here pictures from my puppy, before and after his first ever visit to the groomer

20180509_143313.thumb.jpg.4e61dc56692b5f2fba6a4f5a3cb1e747.jpg

20180523_161115.thumb.jpg.1e4d507564bf1a94281012212588472d.jpg

For dinner did I had pork steaks, marinaded for 48 hours with mustard, onions, garlic in beer with fried potatoes, the onions from the marinade fried and a sauce made of the residue from the steak frying and the marinade. And watermelon for dessert.

OMG, OMG, OMG!!

I posted this on the Naugler thread before but...

5a778b82e53a8_Screenshot_2018-02-04-23-33-052.thumb.png.92b9131562cf86bc285dd5ed91a99359.png

2 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Exactly! A dog is a lot of work. I had dogs almost my entire life and I'm really missing having one. But, right now we live in an apartment and that's a no-go for a dog. Even when we move to a house, it'd still be a no-go because we are enjoying our freedom. 

Our local animal shelter allows you to take their dogs for walks. Win-win!

While dogs do limit your ability to travel, we frequently hire live-in dog sitters when we're away for hockey tournaments, no kennels for our guys (not that there's anything wrong with kennels, our guys just don't do well away from home).  I also find giant breeds=giant slugs, at least ours are.  One good walk at any point and they're toast for a few days.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived