IGNORED

JinJer 39: Waiting to Meet Their Baby Daughter

Jellybean

2 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

The TV show Silicon Valley has one episode with a pretty funny subplot about a guy being "outed" as Christian against his will, obviously in a silicon valley community.

Communities like that certainly exist (I grew up liberal in urban California, hello), I would call this situation an "exception that proves the rule" type of circumstance, at least in the Western/developed world.

I’ve been thinking about that episode for this whole drift! I love that show.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't he believe that a 20th century Megillah was crafted by those nefarious "people who claim to be Jews but are not"?  Miming reverence when it fits your "academic" aesthetic but talking shit in church is not a good look!

Get your Baptist hands off my people's holy books, Jeremy. They're not a tourist attraction.

9 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

The TV show Silicon Valley has one episode with a pretty funny subplot about a guy being "outed" as Christian against his will, obviously in a silicon valley community.

Communities like that certainly exist (I grew up liberal in urban California, hello), I would call this situation an "exception that proves the rule" type of circumstance, at least in the Western/developed world.

Love that show.  And that episode was hilarious, and very true to the area  ( in an exaggerated comedy way of course )

Jeremy is pretentious (or presents as such).

Jeremy loves books and himself.

Jeremy married a young woman who was not allowed to read books or secure a proper education.

Jeremy is creepy.

One of these thinks is not like the others.

12 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

So, do you guys think Jeremy likes books? I haven’t been able to tell? 

:banana-drums:

Jeremy likes to portray himself as highly intellectual. I do think that Jeremy likes books, but he also wants the super scholarly, fashionable, hip preacher label. 

That being said, I love books! There are books on every flat surface in my home. ;) They're not all fancy though, some of them are rather sad and dogeared. 

On 6/2/2018 at 11:50 AM, Chocolatecheesecake said:

@SapphireSlytherin I really wouldn't say that being atheist is a choice. At least for me, it's just a fundamental truth that I feel within me, just like other people seem to feel that God is real. I never "chose" not to believe in God, in fact, I would LOVE to see my grandparents again in heaven, but I just can't believe that there is one. Religion has just always sounded like magic and fairytales to me but I never sat down at said: ok, I choose to be an atheist now.

That‘s exactly how feel. Many people seem to think of atheism as a lifestyle decision but I don‘t think it is. Just like a really religious person probably didn‘t think „Oh, I‘m gonna be religious!“ They just believe. I don‘t. Sometimes I wish I could because it seems to make some things easier (or so I think). For example, I imagine I might have less anxiety about the future if I actually believed in a merciful god and in salvation. I have no idea what it‘s like to out oneself as gay but it is certainly not easy to say „I‘m an atheist.“ I’m careful who I tell this. Very often I don’t use the word but will say „I’m not very religious.“ because people seem to take that better. Now I live in religiously fairly liberal Germany (in the less religiously liberal south but still). I can only imagine what it must be like in the Bible Belt. 

Is everyone wanting Jeremy to go to car auctions, pretend work on a flipper house? First he was liked because he was so different now he is disliked because he is so different.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Jeremy is pretentious (or presents as such).

Jeremy loves books and himself.

Jeremy married a young woman who was not allowed to read books or secure a proper education.

Jeremy is creepy.

One of these thinks is not like the others.

Yes if but ojos were THAT IMPORTANT to him you'd think he'd marry a well read woman. Unless he thinks women don't need to be educated... which is likely

44 minutes ago, sansan said:

Is everyone wanting Jeremy to go to car auctions, pretend work on a flipper house? First he was liked because he was so different now he is disliked because he is so different.

I think he’s disliked because he’s a bigoted fundamentalist? Other people are expressing distaste for various aspects of how they perceive his personality. We talk about all the Duggars and their in-laws like this. Why should Jeremy be an exception?

I doubt it. I can't imagine he'd "waste" space on non-theological books. I spy The Jungle Books and Mark Twain...

1 hour ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Oh look Jeremy and fancy books again

Maybe he just likes to read?  

I would be interested in that issue of NG, and regardless of where he is/what he's trying to convey, I love that library!  I have a board on Pinterest called "Libraries I Love".

I really hope Jinger might have picked up and looked at one of those secular classics!

I just can't with Jeremy and his glaring need to be perceived as an intellectual. How much he craves praise for his love of books speaks volumes. I'm almost finished with PhD in history, and half the people on my social media are professors/postdocs/advanced doctoral candidates---professional intellectuals---and not one of them posts this "Look how special I am cause I like books" crap like Jeremy does.

If you're really an intellectual you see yourself as part of a community of people, and so you don't tend to think what you're doing is that special---you certainly don't find people who are less educated or less academically-oriented and lord your fancy books over them for attention/validation. If you actually have credentials, you don't need to show off. 

1 hour ago, sansan said:

I just can't wrap my mind around the thought that an educated man who fancies himself an intellect would pursue, court and marry a very sheltered, uneducated, intellectually immature woman (barely). What was his motive? Other than a love of Jesus, what do the 2 have in common? You can't talk about Jesus 24/7.

On 6/13/2018 at 5:41 PM, Nowyn said:

I think you summarized it pretty well. I'm part of a couple of subcultures and we are very left and liberal. It is probably weirder to come out as a religious than atheist or gay in my circles. I'm fine with religion unless someone thumps me with a bible. Admittedly being creationist makes me incredulous. 

In general, you don't usually have to come out being atheist. You have to come out as gay and religious. Being gay does carry social stigma but not to my generation. My parents (born in the 50's) have issues with it.

And yes, I guess I will piggyback your posts as I don't have my own ideas. ;)

Hop on, I love giving piggyback rides!!!

18 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

Maybe he just likes to read?  

I don't like to read, I absolutely love to read! There are books on every single flat surface and boxed up, I have a kindle and audiobooks, I love to read! Do I sometimes post pictures of the books that I am reading? Sure do! I also give many recommendations and spend a lot of time browsing in book stores. On Facebook and Instagram, you won't see every trip I make to the bookstore or library, you don't see the books everywhere because I'm not building a persona based on books. It's a part of me but it's not everything.

Jeremy's over the top "I LOVE BOOKS" just screams "I am SMRT!" That's good, Jeremy. But guess what? All the books you read and show don't make you any less a bigoted fundamentalist Christian. 

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

I just can't wrap my mind around the thought that an educated man who fancies himself an intellect would pursue, court and marry a very sheltered, uneducated, intellectually immature woman (barely). What was his motive? Other than a love of Jesus, what do the 2 have in common? You can't talk about Jesus 24/7.

Wanting to marry someone who will always agree that you're better/stronger/wiser than them and should be the one in charge?

Not what most people want in marriage, but it seems to be what Jeremy wants. 

I have seen a lot of ministers that behave like Jeremy.

Being raised in a minister's home, I was around preachers all the time growing up. My mom is a very dedicated Bible-reader, and my dad acknowledged how intelligent she is often. I heard my parents discuss scriptures regularly, and even though my parents are very traditional, my dad always respected my mom's theological knowledge. He asked her input when preparing sermons and took her words seriously. I listened to their discussions with other ministers very often as well. Unfortunately, my mom was not always given the same respect from the other preachers. I watched a lot of "men of God" talk over my mom during religious discussions. Many times her ideas were ignored and disregarded. These men read and wrote books. They loved to praise their own intellect. I see a lot of the same attitude in Jeremy. An uneducated wife may be more suitable to him so she will praise his philosophies and never cause him to doubt his own intelligence. He needed a wife that would make him look good and help him relate to his audience, but nothing else. A well-educated wife would challenge him too much.

The church is making efforts to bring in the intellectual career types. There has definitely been a movement among "hipster preachers" to look well-read so they will look trendy to college church-goers. I have spent time with a few such preachers in the past few years. They try to talk like they have some sort of ground-breaking knowledge about God and the Bible that no one else has ever thought of, but most of it is just noise. A lot of it is the same teachings as everyone else, just worded differently. They speak to hear themselves talk and they expect the people around them to be impressed.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived