IGNORED

JinJer 39: Waiting to Meet Their Baby Daughter

Jellybean

13 minutes ago, MathQueen said:

Another reader here, and I am surprised by how many books I read on my device vs actual physical books. I have been using the overdrive app, which allows me access to borrow books from the public library. I just registered my library card, and I can download to my heart’s content.

How did I not know this? Thanks for the tip!!!

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My children tell this story with great glee..."mom wouldn't put her book down even when she was cooking dinner". They saw me with my nose in a book quite often. My children inherited mom's love of reading. The worst punishment we could inflict on my daughter was to tell her she could not read a book (any book) for a period of time. #1 son was a big reader until he decided it "wasn't cool". #2 son doesn't give a damn about cool or not and is another voracious reader. 

I have an e-reader but it's out of storage space. I have to pull some stuff off it. Packing my physical books to move is a pain in the ass...my husband bitches about moving them every time we move (we've moved 4, soon to be 5 times in 6 years)

Cloud Library is also a good app for downloading library books (at least in my area).

What do you think Jeremy thinks about the Tuttle Twins books Jill has been promoting? 

I do think Jeremy will read to his kids.  Hopefully classic children's lit mixed with a lot of diverse contemporary children's lit.  Is that hoping for too much?    

1 hour ago, freshlemonade said:

Cloud Library is also a good app for downloading library books (at least in my area).

What do you think Jeremy thinks about the Tuttle Twins books Jill has been promoting? 

I do think Jeremy will read to his kids.  Hopefully classic children's lit mixed with a lot of diverse contemporary children's lit.  Is that hoping for too much?    

I could see them reading some “normal” stuff to the kids. I mean, the Dills are weird as fuck and their kids have still been exposed to pretty normal stuff like Paw Patrol, Peppa Pig, and regular kids books:

9D7AB72C-BC24-41E3-9F10-E80CAED9782B.thumb.png.29bdefb88b34aedcc25eab31dd580bfc.png

(I’m not sure who’s house that is. There’s a piano in that room too, so it could be TTH. But the point is that the Mini Dills have been exposed to different reading materials and that the Tiny JinJers will likely be exposed to some of that as well - either through their parents and/or family and friends.)

I've seen a piano in the background of some of her pics before. Wouldn't surprise me if they had one of their own.

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

My children tell this story with great glee..."mom wouldn't put her book down even when she was cooking dinner". They saw me with my nose in a book quite often. My children inherited mom's love of reading. The worst punishment we could inflict on my daughter was to tell her she could not read a book (any book) for a period of time. #1 son was a big reader until he decided it "wasn't cool". #2 son doesn't give a damn about cool or not and is another voracious reader. 

I have an e-reader but it's out of storage space. I have to pull some stuff off it. Packing my physical books to move is a pain in the ass...my husband bitches about moving them every time we move (we've moved 4, soon to be 5 times in 6 years)

When my son was about 2 he actually threw a book at me and said, "No more reading."

Mr. Knees' son is unfortunately not super into reading :( I try not to judge but it's hard on Mr. Knees, me, and his mom- we're all huge readers. He still does very well in language/literature classes in school, so it's nothing bad, but hard for us to relate to sometimes.

Growing up, my mom and I loved reading and my father and brother weren't so into it. My father is now writing a memoir, and I'm honestly surprised at how interesting it is given that he's not much of a reader (but he's a teacher and a Chilean-American immigrant, so, there's an interesting story there).

So, I struggle to try not to judge non-readers. However, Jeremy's hip smugness makes it much easier. It's like: "Oh, ew, I don't want to be like him at all," hahahaha.

12 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

So, I struggle to try not to judge non-readers. However, Jeremy's hip smugness makes it much easier. It's like: "Oh, ew, I don't want to be like him at all," hahahaha.

I struggle too, I always find myself going "But did you try..." insert author/series/genre here. I hate people who write it off. You don't know if you will enjoy it. If you don't like to not be doing things, then listen to an audiobook as you work! If you're not huge into physical books, kindles are amazing and it's all at your fingertips. If you don't know what you like, go talk to a librarian! They're fantastic and will point you in the best direction! 

I have a question for you all... the library near me sucks and books are expensive. I love the read but I can't afford the habit, any suggestions?

6 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

I have a question for you all... the library near me sucks and books are expensive. I love the read but I can't afford the habit, any suggestions?

If you can get a library card, you can use the Overdrive App. @MathQueen mentioned it earlier, so they may know more about it! :) 

I used to love reading, but since 11th grade when they started forcing us to read boring (in my opinion) books, my love has diminushed. Especially now in college, because when I do read it's textbooks. I recently got a book about the end of the Bronze Age, though (special thanks to my Art History professor for sparking my interest in ancient societies). It's my summer beach read. Fingers crossed it'll reignite my love if books. 

(When I do read, it tends to be fanfiction lol. I love the ability to change what I didn't like about another story)

I am a library employee and I second this.  You can use Overdrive (or whatever similar program your library uses) for ebooks as well as e-audiobooks.

Also:  what specifically sucks about your library?  

Can you ask if they have programs like inter-library loan, or "zip books for rural libraries" (California only, I think) where you can specifically request books the library doesn't own?

If you are rural, your library likely has some programs like this.  And if you're not rural, are there university or specialty libraries nearby you could access?  Used bookstores where you can trade books you're done with for credit towards what you want next?

I need addition to the fantastic suggestions already listed, amazon prime members have access to an ebook library. Just download, read, then “return.” It isn’t worth the annual prime membership on its own, but a very nice perk if you already have a membership.

Love this discussion. I want to buy an e-reader, maybe kindle or an android tablet, any suggestions? I'm also thinking about the amazon prime suscription but is it worth it?

Keep in mind I'm a college student so my budget is limited.

Amazon Prime (I believe they have a student rate??) is worth every penny. Free books, free TV, free shipping, etc. I found I spend less $$ in stores because I just order what I need and don't go, say, to Target for toilet paper and cat food - which means I hit all the end caps for stuff that's on sale, look at clothes, look at linens, buy food/toiletries just because...

1 hour ago, church_of_dog said:

I am a library employee and I second this.  You can use Overdrive (or whatever similar program your library uses) for ebooks as well as e-audiobooks.

Also:  what specifically sucks about your library?  

Can you ask if they have programs like inter-library loan, or "zip books for rural libraries" (California only, I think) where you can specifically request books the library doesn't own?

If you are rural, your library likely has some programs like this.  And if you're not rural, are there university or specialty libraries nearby you could access?  Used bookstores where you can trade books you're done with for credit towards what you want next?

Not rural, I think they just don't invest in the program. The kids Library is great however. I can request books from other libraries but if anything happens to it then there's an outrages fine and that makes me nervous.

@feministxtian, I've heard that my maternal grandmother would read while she churned.  Both my parents were avid readers and my 4 siblings and I are all readers.  One of my dad's prized possessions was a second edition of Tom Sawyer his sister found in a shop in Cincy.  This aunt, btw, walks to the public library every day and she's in her 90s.

My grandmother was an avid reader. During WWII, my granddad would include literary references in his letters. He referred to books/stories based on his location without explicitly mentioning the location, knowing it would get past the censors and my grandmother would figure it out.

2 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

Are there any thrift stores near you? It's where I have purchased most of my books fairly cheap. Prices at Salvation Army has gone up...even too much for my budget right now. 

2 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Love this discussion. I want to buy an e-reader, maybe kindle or an android tablet, any suggestions? I'm also thinking about the amazon prime suscription but is it worth it?

I have an iPad, but love my regular (black and white not backlit) Kindle also. It’s really good for the beach or outside, where regular screens are hard to see. Also lighter and cheaper than most tablets I think, and the charge seems to last a good long time. It is pretty much limited to just reading, though. 

2 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

You can get these apps on your phone, no tablet needed. 

Another fabulous benefit of checking out ebooks from the library is no fines. Often shorter waits.

I use the kindle app on my ipad. I change the lighting and tone. Works pretty well.

Another thing about the e readers, is that you can download from the library any time, any place. I downloaded books when I was on a train once.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived