IGNORED

JinJer 39: Waiting to Meet Their Baby Daughter

Jellybean

SUPER long time lurker here. This is my first post! I was raised incredibly conservative, pentecostal, fundy-lite and I am sure my parents would rather I come out gay than atheist, though they'd rather I come out as neither. I am pansexual and atheist, but they do not know that. They certainly must know I am not super religious - My husband and I don't attend church and we do not hide that fact. My mom would take 100% personally if I told her I did not believe and, that's not a battle I have in my to fight at the moment, but I know it's coming.

As far as which coming out is more difficult: well, I think that's a personal experience that we can't define for any one individual. People are ostracized, get kicked out of their homes, and lose jobs for both; in many countries people are jailed and/or murdered for both.

I do not think, though, that one chooses their beliefs. You either believe something or you don't. You cannot force belief. Beliefs may evolve, mine certainly did, but I did not CHOOSE to not believe anymore - it was a natural progression of research, prayer, questions, and more research.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Churches all over have fundraiser type events, but attending them really means nothing about a person’s beliefs.

I agree.  Greek fest season has officially started here!  I've been working admissions at my church's fest for the last few years and I can guarantee that many of the people who go aren't Orthodox but are there for the food/culture (but mostly the food).

So I might be way off here, but it sounds like some of the people saying both would be hard, or being atheist would be harder, come from the South/Midwest where religion is a big deal, or where there's a lot of fundies. I'm from the Northeast, in an area where the two biggest religions, Catholicism and Judaism, have a big cultural/ethnic component. The idea of people I barely know being so uptight over religion is bizarre. So it being hard to come out as an atheist is definitely true, and could be equally hard in those communities.

But let's take society as a whole. From a young age, kids see nothing but heteronormativity in every facet of the media. Now, media doesn't often have a deep discussion about atheism either, but not everything in our media is focused on religion. In fact, fundies bitch about things like the war on Christmas because of the lack of religious characters/discussions. If any random kid in America were to turn on a TV show or see a movie, it could portray a religious family or a family celebrating a religious moment (like the baptism on Modern Family, for example) but it's more likely to see a family that doesn't acknowledge religion at all.

That is not true for heteronormativity. Gay kids grow up watching heroes who are straight, love stories that are always between a man and a woman, families always headed by a man and a woman.  The message is clear: you need to be heterosexual to fit in society. This message is told to kids in Alabama and kids in California, to children of atheists and fundies alike. There is no escape from it. It follows you wherever you go in this country, and whenever you turn on the TV. The stigma for atheism exists, but it does not follow you like the assumption of heterosexuality. 

If you travelled the country as a gay atheist, instead of sticking to one area, you would find places where you would be looked down on for being atheist, yes, but then you move on to another place where you wouldn't be. That's not the case if you're gay.

If you are gay, you don't just come out once either, you come out All. The. Time. Let's say I married my high school crush instead of my husband. I would have to come out  to my coworkers if I put up wedding photos on my desk (something most people do without thinking twice), or if I mentioned I was married at all. If I went to the doctor's and used my wife's insurance (or she was insured under my plan) I'd have to come out again. If I went to look at apartments, I have to come out again, to the landlord and all of my neighbors. They can see it; I can't hide it. If I add a Facebook friend that I haven't seen since high school, I'm coming out yet again. If I go out to for dinner and hold my wife's hand, I'm coming out again, to dozens of strangers. Every single time I'd have to correct an acquaintence when she asks about "my husband," every time I'd have to ignore the judgmental looks when I used the "wrong" pronoun in a conversation. Being openly gay means coming out several times a day, no matter where you live or what your family's like.  If I were an atheist, I might deal with shit in some religious areas, but if I moved somewhere else, that problem would be gone. I can't move away from the presumption of heteronormativity. 

I'm sorry, but it's not even close to being the same. 

20 hours ago, potato said:

I agree.  Greek fest season has officially started here!  I've been working admissions at my church's fest for the last few years and I can guarantee that many of the people who go aren't Orthodox but are there for the food/culture (but mostly the food).

I'm not one bit Greek, even I love My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I attend our local Greek festival, held in a Greek Orthodox church , and I'm an atheist because I love the food. 

I want to contribute to the coming out as gay/coming out as athiest conversation, and I'm really sorry if it's painful that we're having it at all, but based on my experience I do think it's legitimate to discuss.

If we were to look at hard data, I'm sure we would see more violence and difficulties across demographics for coming out as gay, and that's super important. In anec-data from my own life, I know people are abused and ostrasized from their families for coming out as either, or both. I've known a few gay friends to say that their parents were willing to pray for them or treat it as a phase (still fucked up, of course), but coming out as athiest completely tears the rug out from underneath them and led to being kicked out, etc. So, I'm hesitant to say one is worse the other and leave the conversation at that because there's just so much variety in individual experience.

Personally, I'm bisexual (out to everyone except social media and coworkers, but I'm thinking of crossing that bridge this month) and athiest (out everywhere). The thing that makes coming out bisexual harder for me are the questions- I feel so guilty for not being gay enough, but I also know I'm not straight, and this is all about sex and love anyway which is obviously so personal in a lot of ways.

With "coming out" as athiest, I get a lot of questions but they aren't at all painful for me. They're just philosophical discussions. In my experience, sexual orientation cuts to the core in a different way from religious beliefs. I have a supportive family and friend network in both cases, which makes a world of difference.

2 of my kids are bisexual, my oldest granddaughter is pansexual. 1 kid is pagan, one kid is agnostic, one kid is "generic Christian". 

I'm pleased that they all felt comfortable enough to come out to me in whatever it was...can't say I particularly understand some of it, but it doesn't change a damn thing for me...I did, do and will absolutely adore them with every bone in my body forever. 

To all the folks here...there's exactly ONE thing that could possibly make me dislike you...and that's treating people like shit. That's it. 

@BernRul You're absolutely right about a lot of things, but it does sound like you don't understand how incredibly difficult it is to be an atheist from a religious family or in a religious area, and how often it comes up.

If you're dealing with homophobia you can also go to areas where that's not an issue, but that doesn't help people who are still stuck in homophobic areas. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when people act like coming out is no big deal anymore because everyone they know is accepting, when there are still many people stuck in homophobic environments who struggle with it a lot. I do think it's similarly dismissive to say that anti-atheist prejudice is less of an issue because you can go places where atheists are accepted.

And again, this is coming from someone who is actually both atheist and gay.

Also, on a purely personal level I will say that it was much, much harder to come to terms with realizing I was an atheist than realizing I was gay. Both were really hard (and even years down the road I still find myself noticing bits of internalized homophobia I thought were gone), but I was able to reconcile being gay with my identity a lot faster. It helped a lot that there were so many Christian gay people I could look to as an example. In contrast, losing my faith shook my world in a way I didn't even know was possible and was genuinely traumatic for me like no other identity shift has been.

Here you are assumed to be atheist unless otherwise stated. You would have to come out as religious. Being an atheist is no big deal. You are definitely not assumed to be gay, however. 

18 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

You're absolutely right about a lot of things, but it does sound like you don't understand how incredibly difficult it is to be an atheist from a religious family or in a religious area, and how often it comes up.

If you're dealing with homophobia you can also go to areas where that's not an issue, but that doesn't help people who are still stuck in homophobic areas. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when people act like coming out is no big deal anymore because everyone they know is accepting, when there are still many people stuck in homophobic environments who struggle with it a lot. I do think it's similarly dismissive to say that anti-atheist prejudice is less of an issue because you can go places where atheists are accepted.

I understand what people are saying about it being hard when you're from a religious family/area. That's why I was trying to talk about society as a whole, reagardless of where you are from. If you travelled throughout America, for example.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant that the message that is broadcast throughout America through ads and TV and movies and magazines and books constantly reinforces the idea that being gay is something odd, abnormal, or something we shouldn't talk about openly with mixed crowds. That might not be the intention, but it's a by product of only showing straight superheroes, straight leading men, straight leading women, straight romances (as the main characters of mainstream movies), straight families. Yeah, there's been a lot of improvement in this area, espeically with books and Tv, but there's still this idea that we don't want to alienate people by making too many mainstream characters LGBT. Like, protagonists in mainstream media are never gay. In niche media they are, but almost never in mainstream media. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them won't even acknowledge Dumbledore and Grindlewald's relationship, when that's the main plot of the movie franchise. 

The mainstream media--which has more of an affect on our kids and our development than we might realize--doesn't treat religion the same way it treats sexuality. Media doesn't talk about religion that much. It does sometimes, like I said in my other post, but it doesn't create an environment where everyone in society assumes you are religious the same way that everyone in society assumes you're straight. Again, yeah, some places might do that, but you can move away to other places that aren't like that. You can't move away to a society that doesn't assume everyone's straight. 

We live in a society where straight is the default. That's true wherever you go, progressive or homophobic. To be open means to come out again and again and again. Because you have to come out so much by being gay, and because you have to fight against this assumption that straight is normal that we all have even if we don't realize it, I think it's harder. That's my reasoning why. 

I don't want to downplay how hard being atheist can be, or how much pain and heart ache it can cause for people in really religious families. I get it, and I'm sorry for anyone who has to deal with that. But the two things are like comparing apples and oranges. Two things can both be bad/hard, but not hard in the same way or to the same degree. Like, I can say that it was hard for both white indentured servants and African slaves in colonial America, but that doesn't mean that they are the same or equally hard. Yeah, some individual white servants may have been beaten while some slaves may have been treated decently by their masters, but as a whole the situations can't really be compared. That's how I feel about this. Both are hard, and individually one might be worse than the other, but by the nature of our society, which assumes everyone is straight, coming out as gay means coming out all of the time, whereas coming out as atheist can vary and isn't as all encompassing.

I hope I explained that better. By the way, happy pride month :gay-gay:

My parent's version of raising us 'to make up [our] own minds' was to never expose us to any religion and to make disparging remarks about people who believed in any God of any religion. I was also raised hearing derogatory remarks about LGBT+ people.

I think on some level they might know that I'm bisexual with a heavy preference towards women (somehow my car in The Game of Life always ends up with two pink people in the front seats :D), but it's never a thing I've come out to them and said. They'd probably be cool with it (one of my brothers is transgender and really paved the way for the family as a whole becoming less awful about LGBT+ people, even if some of the bigoted fucks in our family still insist on calling him my sister), but there's just something about the notion of 'coming out' to my parents that terrifies me even though I'm like 99.999999% sure they wouldn't even be surprised. 

(also, lowkey, it's kind of none of their business and I resent the thought that I should have to come out at all. dear anyone in the closet right now, your story is your own and you don't owe it to anyone to risk anything for the sake of coming out. in your own time, okay?)

idk about how it would be to come out as atheist, because I'm pretty sure my parents assumed that I would be and am (are? ugh words). My mother's really enjoyed me pursuing a course in life that allows me to become more spiritually open and willing to learn about religions, and we've had a lot of really in-depth discussions about the way she came to drop religion and the way I've come to start exploring it, but my dad takes every opportunity he can to put down religious people and mock religion as a whole. If I ever decided to get married in a church or have a religious ceremony for any children I might raise I'm pretty sure he'd kick up a heck of a fuss. I don't know how I'd react to that, to be honest. He was the parent that was the kind, cool, and generous one when I was a kid, but is now just actually kind of an asshole. 

But, yeah, for me I'd say that coming out as bisexual is harder than admitting my burgeoning faith in something other than human fallacy. Because my beliefs can change, y'know? But from the time I've been small, even when I didn't have the words to know what it was, I've been attracted to female people, and I don't think that's something I can change. I'd hate to know someone hated/disliked me for something that's not in my power to change if I ever needed to.

Regardless of my experiences, though, everyone's stories are their own. Some people may truly find it harder/ more dangerous to come out as gay than as LGBT+. The important thing is to not turn it into a game of the suffering olympics and to be there for each other as and when the circumstances allow.

Also, to echo @BernRul, Happy Pride Month to those in the acronym and the allies that have our backs! 

22 minutes ago, Escadora said:

but there's just something about the notion of 'coming out' to my parents that terrifies me even though I'm like 99.999999% sure they wouldn't even be surprised. 

(also, lowkey, it's kind of none of their business and I resent the thought that I should have to come out at all. dear anyone in the closet right now, your story is your own and you don't owe it to anyone to risk anything for the sake of coming out. in your own time, okay?)

I feel the same way. I never want my parents to know I'm bi. My parents would never disown or me or give me a problem for it, but I still don't want to tell them. I also don't think it's anyone else's buisness. Coming out as LGBT is so, so scary and we shouldn't forget that. When and if people decide to, it's on them. 

2 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Here you are assumed to be atheist unless otherwise stated. You would have to come out as religious. Being an atheist is no big deal. You are definitely not assumed to be gay, however. 

Not entirely sure why this is getting downvoted. Do people just not believe that majority atheist communities exist? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most countries in Western Europe nonreligious?

But yeah, this is part of what I meant in my other posts. You can go to some places where people assume you are religious and you can go to some places where you are assumed not to be religious. There's virtually nowhere on the planet where people assume you are gay. My city has a section called "the Gayborhood" that even has rainbow flags on the street signs, but people who live in the Gayborhood don't spend their entire existance in that one area. They still go to other places for work and travel where they have to deal with the assumption of heterosexuality. 

I'm sorry, but I'm both an atheist and gay and it will never not be offensive for the former to claim being the latter is easier. 

When atheists, again I am one, start getting shot up at nightclubs for doing nothing but existing- well, then we'll talk.  

Where I live I experience the opposite. Although lots of people who are young do not attend church, belief in God is considered still the default. I find that a lot of people who believe do not understand that other people simply don't at all. 

@BernRul I agree about the media! But again, someone's personal experience, which is what we were talking about originally, isn't necessarily the same as what is reflected in the media.

I also don't agree that having people assume you're straight is the worst part of discrimination and  should be what we compare oppression by. There are a lot of gay people who are usually assumed to be gay, and they're far more likely to experience violence and discrimination. 

1 minute ago, KelseyAnn said:

I'm sorry, but I'm both an atheist and gay and it will never not be offensive for the former to claim being the latter is easier. 

When atheists, again I am one, start getting shot up at nightclubs for doing nothing but existing- well, then we'll talk.  

*in the US, I assume you mean, as atheists are killed elsewhere just for being atheists. And actually, now they're saying the Pulse shooting wasn't an anti-gay attack, though I don't know if I agree.

But yes, I've seen straight atheists say that now it's easier to be gay than atheist, and I find it very offensive for a non-gay person to tell gay people how easy they have it.

Basically, if you're not *identity,* don't tell people who are that they're wrong about what it's like to actually be that identity.

10 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

*in the US, I assume you mean, as atheists are killed elsewhere just for being atheists. And actually, now they're saying the Pulse shooting wasn't an anti-gay attack, though I don't know if I agree.

But yes, I've seen straight atheists say that now it's easier to be gay than atheist, and I find it very offensive for a non-gay person to tell gay people how easy they have it.

Basically, if you're not *identity,* don't tell people who are that they're wrong about what it's like to actually be that identity.

Exactly, I feel its really disrespectful for some posters to make attempts at co-opting the struggles of the gay community. 

And I'm sorry, but of course, the Pulse shooting was a target at gay people. Why else would you shoot up a gay nightclub? 

4 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

@BernRul I agree about the media! But again, someone's personal experience, which is what we were talking about originally, isn't necessarily the same as what is reflected in the media.

I also don't agree that having people assume you're straight is the worst part of discrimination and  should be what we compare oppression by. There are a lot of gay people who are usually assumed to be gay, and they're far more likely to experience violence and discrimination. 

I didn't say it was the worst part of discrimination. People get killed for being gay, so I certainly wouldn't think that it's the worst part of the discrimination. But @SapphireSlytherin specifically asked about coming out. She made that clear in one of her posts that she was talking solely about the process of coming out and nothing else. So in terms of coming out, living in a world that assumes people are straight by default is harder, because simply being yourself is an act of coming out, again and again, to all of the people you encounter. Coming out as atheist, again, is just not the same. Even people who act "stereotypically gay" are in a way coming out, because people are reacting to them. By being themselves they are going against our cultural narrative--that heterosexuality is good and normal--and they have to face neighbors, coworkers, strangers, etc who could judge them neagatively. 

Again, not talking about discrimination at all. I'm responding to the question that SapphireSlytherin originally asked about what it's like coming out. I'm explaining why I think coming out as gay is harder, and my points were relevant to that. They aren't relevant to a conversation about discrimination because I wasn't talking about that. 

Just now, KelseyAnn said:

Exactly, I feel its really disrespectful for some posters to make attempts at co-opting the struggles of the gay community. 

And I'm sorry, but of course, the Pulse shooting was a target at gay people. Why else would you shoot up a gay nightclub? 

They're saying he just googled "Orlando night clubs" and didn't even know it was a gay club, asking the security guard before the shooting where all the women were. I'm still not convinced though.

1 minute ago, BernRul said:

I didn't say it was the worst part of discrimination. People get killed for being gay, so I certainly wouldn't think that it's the worst part of the discrimination. But @SapphireSlytherin specifically asked about coming out. She made that clear in one of her posts that she was talking solely about the process of coming out and nothing else. So in terms of coming out, living in a world that assumes people are straight by default is harder, because simply being yourself is an act of coming out, again and again, to all of the people you encounter. Coming out as atheist, again, is just not the same. Even people who act "stereotypically gay" are in a way coming out, because people are reacting to them. By being themselves they are going against our cultural narrative--that heterosexuality is good and normal--and they have to face neighbors, coworkers, strangers, etc who could judge them neagatively. 

Again, not talking about discrimination at all. I'm responding to the question that SapphireSlytherin originally asked about what it's like coming out. I'm explaining why I think coming out as gay is harder, and my points were relevant to that. They aren't relevant to a conversation about discrimination because I wasn't talking about that. 

Okay, I guess I misunderstood what you were saying about that. 

Honestly, I just don't like generalizations  on this topic because it can vary so much and it's so personal. If you don't know what it's like to come out as gay or atheist then you just can't completely understand and so I get a little defensive when it feels like people are telling me what it's like to be one or the other.

@Rachel333 - I've "come out" (again, apologies if co-opting that phrase isn't PC) as atheist and it was incredibly difficult for me, especially with my family's beliefs being front-and-center in their lives.

And atheists HAVE been killed, just for being atheist. And did you know SEVEN states in the USA prohibit atheists from holding office? 

6 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

@Rachel333 - I've "come out" (again, apologies if co-opting that phrase isn't PC) as atheist and it was incredibly difficult for me, especially with my family's beliefs being front-and-center in their lives.

And atheists HAVE been killed, just for being atheist. And did you know SEVEN states in the USA prohibit atheists from holding office? 

Losing the support of family and friends must be incredibly difficult, whether that's because you're LGBT+ or atheist. I can understand how informing the people you hold dear and close that you don't share their religious beliefs may be scary, and might carry the risk of damaging those relationships forever. In that respect, I personally can be fine with and share the use of the term 'coming out' with atheists (other LGBT+ people's mileage may vary. don't take my acceptance as blanket permission, obviously :D). However, I would just like to suggest, if I may, that you shouldn't base what you think you can say on what is considered to be 'PC'. 'Political Correctness' is a phrase that has opened the doors for a lot of bigotry disguised as permissible ignorance. Say what you want to say and be open and accepting of criticism; just be willing to be corrected and accept why someone might object to the appropriation of phrases, sayings, and experiences. Wow, I feel like that came off preachy. I'm sorry, I meant it as some well-intentioned advice. We just shouldn't be afraid to have these discussions, is all, and part of discussion is correction and acceptance. Obviously don't put up with persnickety nitpicking if you're truly making an effort to be understanding, tolerant, and welcoming. 

Also, I had no idea that it was prohibited to hold office in some states if someone was an atheist. Makes you wonder how an obviously not Christian at all like Donald Trump made it into office on the backs of Christian voters.

But, in that same vein, did you know that only TEN American states have banned conversion therapy (a truly horrific practise of shipping off LGBT+ people to undergo what amounts to torture in an attempt to scare out of them their sexuality/gender dysphoria?)?  

A quick google search tells me that it has never been illegal, discriminated against certainly but never illegal, to be an atheist in America (please do correct me if I'm wrong, wikipedia is the best source after all :P).

Homosexuality was still criminalised twenty years ago in some states. 

We could name the atrocities committed against both atheists and the LGBT+ people for days in a giant pissing contest if we wanted to. But, like I said before, let's not turn this into a game of the pain and discrimination olympics. Both LGBT+ people and atheists can face massive amounts of discrimination and horrendous acts done against them. Atheists and the LGBT+ community could be awesome allies, given the mass hatred of both communities by some religious practices. I'm not trying to be a preachy downer or stop the discussion but I do feel like this is driving a wedge in somewhere that really doesn't need one. 

@SapphireSlytherin I'm super sorry, i didn't mean for this whole thing to read as a long rant at you, on the off chance that it comes off that way I'll apologise in advance. I think this discussion is really interesting, but it's one of those ones that has the potential to make a lot of people really upset.

I've tried to find this but I can be Interwebz stupid. How on earth are Jin Jer going to support themselves in LA? Surely the gravy train from the show has slowed down and LA is so expensive. Jeremy supposedly only made 30k a year when he was in sports so how much could he have saved? I find this fascinating. You'd figure a normal couple where one is moving for grad school would involve the other one working full time or they'd be at a real university where there's a fellowship/internship/stipend or family would support them but I can't see JimBob paying thousands a month in rent for an apartment for the new family. I guess maybe TLC would rent them an apartment if it's used for filming too so they can write it off. I'm endlessly fascinated by how these people con their way into a "living". 

22 minutes ago, MissManners said:

I've tried to find this but I can be Interwebz stupid. How on earth are Jin Jer going to support themselves in LA? Surely the gravy train from the show has slowed down and LA is so expensive. Jeremy supposedly only made 30k a year when he was in sports so how much could he have saved? I find this fascinating. You'd figure a normal couple where one is moving for grad school would involve the other one working full time or they'd be at a real university where there's a fellowship/internship/stipend or family would support them but I can't see JimBob paying thousands a month in rent for an apartment for the new family. I guess maybe TLC would rent them an apartment if it's used for filming too so they can write it off. I'm endlessly fascinated by how these people con their way into a "living". 

you forget JIm Bob and Michelle are worth 3. 5 MIl  and it has been reported that Jinjer is worth 2 mil herself. Add to that with giving birth to the first Gradaughter by a Duggar Daughter will probably gain her a pretty penny along with what her birth episode will bring in.  this coming season plus next will furture her heavily with her pregnancy and birth her and Jer are set up well. 

50 minutes ago, MissManners said:

I would love to know the financial break down of their backgrounds. I find the Duggars, including Jinger and Jeremy to be pretty glib on issues of financial security, and it never ceases to bother me. If they just had the humility and honesty to acknowledge how extraordinarily financially privileged they are. They have this indirect way of acting like they are being rewarded for being godly. They just learned to work the system, got some dam lucky breaks. A diet of humble pie would slim down those Duggars inflated egos. 

29 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

you forget JIm Bob and Michelle are worth 3. 5 MIl  and it has been reported that Jinjer is worth 2 mil herself. Add to that with giving birth to the first Gradaughter by a Duggar Daughter will probably gain her a pretty penny along with what her birth episode will bring in.  this coming season plus next will furture her heavily with her pregnancy and birth her and Jer are set up well. 

I don't think any of that is confirmed. How would Jinger be worth 2 million dollars? Who's reporting this and where are they getting their information? I seriously doubt that's accurate.

@MissManners I don't think we know yet whether or not Jinger and Jeremy are moving to LA. They're the only couple whose financial situation makes me curious. The others received help from the Duggars when they started out and most are living in Duggar-owned (or formerly Duggar-owned) properties. I'm not sure how Jinger and Jeremy managed to purchase their own house without a mortgage, but maybe they're not following that rule, or maybe their family pitched in to help. If they actually move to LA, I'd assume Jeremy would still be working somehow, or their families would be giving them substantial financial help. It's also possible that they have sources of money that we don't know about, like inheritances or something.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived