IGNORED

JinJer 39: Waiting to Meet Their Baby Daughter

Jellybean

DH has the PaperWhite and uses it for travel, rather than his iPad. I just haul my iPad along, or sometimes just my phone. Depends on where we're going and how long a flight is... lol

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

How do you delete books from the kindle fire? I have several books that I no longer want on my kindle but for some reason can’t figure out how to remove them. 

You go to your amazon account and I believe it's under something like "manage your devices."

9 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

How do you delete books from the kindle fire? I have several books that I no longer want on my kindle but for some reason can’t figure out how to remove them. 

My Kindle Fire is a few years old, but here's how mine works. I can't delete books, as far as I know, but I can remove them from my device. I go to "Books", then "Library". I tap and hold the icon of the book, then tap the trash can icon at the top of the page. That takes the book off my device, but leaves it in my account. (Technically our account, because my family uses a shared account. It means that we can buy a book or an ap once, then share it on all of our devices.)

ETA--Having a Kindle hasn't stopped me from buying regular books. We went to the library sale last weekend. Books were 50 cents each. :my_blush:

Spoiler

15292218992452032518454.thumb.jpg.262be47b7dbe444bc15dedde5da8858f.jpg

I always forget to return library books, so it's cheaper to buy them, plus the library in my home town is not great, it used to be in a beautiful large Victorian building and then it got knocked down and put in a smaller building that was the bottom floor of a nightclub that was closed for about 15 years, seriously fuck you South Lanarkshire Council for that decision.

I have a Samsung tablet and I had a Kindle fire that I sold last month and I'm now regreting getting rid off, I have bought some ebooks for university, the psychology book I needed last year was that huge that it would have taken up too much space. I love buying some of my university books from eBay, Amazon or I have been lucky to get some from charity shops. I have saved a fortune on books since starting college and then university. Some ones I have no choice but to pay full price, for politics the books needed to be up to date.

I was an avid reader until I went to university, and I find I just haven't gotten back into it since.  As a child I read lots of fiction, but as a young adult got into non-fiction and it's now my preference (hence the reason my family says I'm snobby). Now I'm into audiobooks and podcasts - always looking for new and interesting podcasts.

4 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

I was an avid reader until I went to university, and I find I just haven't gotten back into it since.  As a child I read lots of fiction, but as a young adult got into non-fiction and it's now my preference (hence the reason my family says I'm snobby). Now I'm into audiobooks and podcasts - always looking for new and interesting podcasts.

Do you have a good app for podcasts?

3 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

I just use the podcast app on my iPhone.  I did try a few others but this one allows me to set a shut off timer, handy 'cause I listen to podcasts while I fall asleep.

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?,  I love those books that you got at the library sale, but Gaudy Night really caught my eye!  TCM aired an adaptation of the last Wimsey novel the other day which led me on a Wikipedia chase for Wimsey things.  I fondly recall when PBS aired the BBC adaptations on the Wimsey novels, starring Ian Carmichael, on Mystery which led me to read The Nine Tailors and get interested in change ringing.  (I'd had loved to have hear the peal after the royal wedding!)  Anyway, my Wikipedia sojourn the other day had me listening to the change ringers at National Cathedral.

7 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

which led me to read The Nine Tailors and get interested in change ringing

Me, too!  I was walking across a university campus recently and the bells were ringing.  My husband is by now tired of me explaining about The Nine Tailors.

Another favorite book in @WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?'s stack is Cold Comfort Farm.  I love the characterizations and dialect.

I need to read all my old favorites again. 

Hubby's cousin is a change-ringer. I can't even express how jealous I am of her.

On 6/16/2018 at 6:26 PM, Sky with diamonds said:

How much are the paper whites? Google is being a pan for me today. 

Looks like about $99 new on Amazon right now.

1 hour ago, CTRLZero said:

Another favorite book in @WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?'s stack is Cold Comfort Farm.  I love the characterizations and dialect.

I have watched the movie, but this will be my first time reading the book. I'm looking forward to it!

3 minutes ago, scoutsadie said:

Looks like about $99 new on Amazon right now.

Thanks. *Goes to look*

I have a paper white and a kindle fire. I prefer the paper white when I'm reading mostly because it doesn't have other apps that can distract me. Plus the battery life if phenomenal and you can read in the sunshine which is another great plus.

I have a nook, that has a backlight (great fro reading in bed with a sleeping husband). I love it. there is also an app for ipads, androids, etc, if necessary.

I still have my Kindle that has the keyboard at the bottom (gen 1 or 2 I believe) that I like to take to the pool with me.  Comparable to the paper white

I used to read a lot as a child. And then read less in high school and even less in college because I was stressed af. When you have 300+ pages for different classes to get through in 2 days (and it’s dense theory), the last thing you want to do is read.

Even though I don’t read many books anymore, I still read lots of articles, op-eds, plays and I watch a lot of informational videos. 

I don’t consider me  reading less as a bad thing. People go through phases, the way we process information is changing, and some people just don’t like reading. Also, a lot of the ‘classics’ that are upheld as great works of art are unappealing and so people think they aren’t  readers but they just haven’t found the types of literature they can relate to yet. 

24 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

I used to read a lot as a child. And then read less in high school and even less in college because I was stressed af. When you have 300+ pages for different classes to get through in 2 days (and it’s dense theory), the last thing you want to do is read.

Even though I don’t read many books anymore, I still read lots of articles, op-eds, plays and I watch a lot of informational videos. 

I don’t consider me  reading less as a bad thing. People go through phases, the way we process information is changing, and some people just don’t like reading. Also, a lot of the ‘classics’ that are upheld as great works of art are unappealing and so people think they aren’t  readers but they just haven’t found the types of literature they can relate to yet. 

I noticed my reading drop off with the advent of the internet...and Netflix...so many options, not enough time.

I think I still read almost as much as before, but now it's on a screen and in small bits rather than whole books. Articles, short stories, fanfic, whatever. When I was a child I was never without a book, my mom would have to yell at me to put the book down and sleep! Now I tend to read books on vacations, but smaller things in between times.

I think I've mentioned this here before, but I set a goal for myself about 1.5 yrs ago that really helps keep me reading actual novels/narrative-type literature: I must finish at least 1 book a month. I'm usually reading at least 3 at once, but it this makes me push ahead. When I'm falling behind, I'll sometimes read a kids book or even a book of the Bible (or something along those lines) to hit the goal, haha... but it's just satisfying to be able to mark this little goal as "complete" every month.

Otherwise... oh yeah, FJ and big bad internet do occupy a lot of my reading time these days, haha.

I actually increased the number of book I read for fun while in grad school for my PhD. I commuted to/from campus on public transit - we had a lot of problems with snatch & run theft of small electronics in my neighborhood, so I started reading paper backs on the bus instead of playing around with my phone. I also had problems with insomnia, and adopted a no electronics before bed policy - I have an alarm set for 1 hour before my usual bed time, and use that as my reminder to turn off all screens, get ready for bed, then read until I’m sleepy.

On 6/17/2018 at 12:37 PM, HermioneSparrow said:

I recommend overcast for podcasts. It’s the best I’ve tried, including the Apple podcast app.

5 hours ago, karen77 said:

I have a nook, that has a backlight (great fro reading in bed with a sleeping husband). I love it. there is also an app for ipads, androids, etc, if necessary.

I had one of those! I ended up selling it because I love owning physical copies of books. It’s the same reason I rarely borrow books from the library. I love to keep them for my collection.

1 hour ago, FJismyheadship said:

Jinger is at what, 36 or 37 weeks? Baby is getting closer!

Is this the Jinger baby watch thread? I forgot with all the interesting book discussions.

2 hours ago, FJismyheadship said:

Jinger is at what, 36 or 37 weeks? Baby is getting closer!

She’ll hit 36 weeks later this week.

(I only know this because she’s due a few days after my sister. Lol!)

ETA: I’d say that the official baby watch will likely start sometime around July 8th. I’m pretty sure she’s due on the 18th abd most babies come within ten days of the estimated due date. I also have a strong feeling she’ll deliver after her due date as her sisters have. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived