3. Jesus

4. Austin

5. Joy

6. Gideon

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/6/2018 at 5:23 PM, candygirl200413 said:

This kind of reminds me how I learned in college that when you vote you get a "I voted" sticker, but my area never did it at least when I first voted in person for my senior year of high school. So imagine my 23 year old self (aka almost 2 years ago) when I got handed one, like you just gave me $100 dollars.

It's the little things!

Skipping a bit, but I will go back. I just had to add to this one! I have been an overseas voter my whole voting life (moved abroad at 18 in 2005). I always wanted a sticker and was really sad to see they don't send one in the massive envelope with a thousand things in it. This past election my mom promised she would find me a sticker of my very own (I didn't want her used one). She told the lady on her way out about me and my desperate desire for an I voted sticker and the woman was apparently moved by the story (e.g. she though it was sweet and could not understand how the government would not send me my sticker). I got a shiny new one which promptly placed in my planner as decoration on that day. I was very happy, until I woke up the next morning, well ok I stayed up till about 5 but those later time zones are a killer. That will likely be my only I voted sticker since I don't see myself ever moving back.

Eh, her hair looks like it's just been blowing around in the wind so I don't think it's a big deal.

I'm still annoyed that she didn't chop it shoulder length. I thought for sure she would do that as soon as she left the TTH. Damn expectations. :pb_lol: 

I have noticed  few of the Bates girls going shorter with their hair,like Katie and Josie.I know some of them had long long hair when they were younger.

I don't see the Duggar girls going with shorter hair.Michelle's hair is still long...longer than Kelly Bates's hair.

7 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

Well that depends on your priorities and in Austins case I assume they are:

1. Jesus

2. Jesus

3. Jesus

4. Austin

5. Joy

6. Gideon

I could easily see #5 and #6 switch places as the years go by, sad as it may be...especially if Giddy enjoys following in his father's footsteps. Austin seems like of all the Duggar sons/son in laws, he'd be the most pleased if that were to happen. 

It seems like the requirements for being a fundie wife are basically: 

1. Have a heart for the Lord (unclear what this means exactly)

2. Keep headship happy (be joyfully available at all times and never complain)

3. Birth as many children as possible (see #2)

Anything else (like actually raising the children) seems to be optional. 

Some people find writing public posts hard, I know I do. Not a great post but at least he posted something, Austin does not use social media often compared to Derick, who posted nothing for his mother or Jill. Hopefully next year he says stuff about Joy as a mother.

26 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Some people find writing public posts hard, I know I do. Not a great post but at least he posted something, Austin does not use social media often compared to Derick, who posted nothing for his mother or Jill. Hopefully next year he says stuff about Joy as a mother.

I think I speak for all of us when I say that the less we hear from Derick, the better.

3 hours ago, Suz8710 said:

I could easily see #5 and #6 switch places as the years go by, sad as it may be...especially if Giddy enjoys following in his father's footsteps. Austin seems like of all the Duggar sons/son in laws, he'd be the most pleased if that were to happen. 

Putting your spouse above your child is really emiportant to most conservative evangelicals. It’s something that’s preached on pretty often and stuff like that seems important to Austin. God first, spouse second, kids third. 

36 minutes ago, Illmarryyoujana said:

Putting your spouse above your child is really emiportant to most conservative evangelicals. It’s something that’s preached on pretty often and stuff like that seems important to Austin. God first, spouse second, kids third. 

Putting your spouse before kids is actually recommended in many secular circles as well (though possibly not in the same way).  The idea being that a healthy marriage is important for the kids (and healthy parents, this idea usually includes self care too).  I have also heard many parents with older kids support this idea, as kids move out and then they didn't know their spouse anymore.  

Oh come on people in the instagram comments, I have long hair (maybe four inches shorter than Joy's?) and it looks worse than if I spend more than two seconds outside on a breezy day. She probably doesn't carry a brush on her to fix her hair before every photo- and as 1. a new mom, and 2. a woman, she shouldn't be obligated to be perfect. That's just foolish. And I want her outfit.

I, too, am a little irritated with how Jesus-flavored all the Mother's day posts from the Duggars and spouses are. I think Jessa was the only one who wrote a good one, with actual feeling and personality. Maybe he's just not good at expressing his feelings on social media, but maybe... on Mother's day... talk about how she's a good mom? Seems obvious to me, but what do I know, I'm a heathen who doesn't think loving Jesus is a personality trait.

6 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

It seems like the requirements for being a fundie wife are basically: 

1. Have a heart for the Lord (unclear what this means exactly)

2. Keep headship happy (be joyfully available at all times and never complain)

3. Birth as many children as possible (see #2)

Anything else (like actually raising the children) seems to be optional. 

1. Nope. Unless by Lord you mean my local sportsteam, chocolate and yarn.

2. Hahaha. No. :pb_lol: 

3. I really only want the one I already have.

So in conclusion I would make a pretty shitty fundie wife. That makes me happy.

As for the hair thing, I think that is going to be the hardest thing for them to get rid of maybe even harder than the no birth control thing. For a lot of women, with hair that long cutting it short(er) is a real life altering event. I think one of them will have to take that huge step 1st before the others try and follow suit.  I can see Jill cutting it as an attention grab, like the nose ring, and then the others following suit. Or I can see Jessa doing it because she's sick of the hassle with kids and all that hair and the others following suit, or Jinger doing the new mom thing and cutting off hair to make life easier,  I don't see Joy cutting her hair 1st unless Austin suggests it. 

17 hours ago, imokit said:

Surely a mother's day post should mention a new mother's mothering and love for her child?

I'd rather it be all about Jesus than the crap that's coming from Derick almost non-stop.

6 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

Putting your spouse before kids is actually recommended in many secular circles as well (though possibly not in the same way).  The idea being that a healthy marriage is important for the kids (and healthy parents, this idea usually includes self care too).  I have also heard many parents with older kids support this idea, as kids move out and then they didn't know their spouse anymore.  

I totally agree with you! Your kids will leave one day, as is the natural cycle, and what will you be left with if the marriage is neglected. Because I know fundepentalist Baptist think this way as well, I don’t worry about Gideon ever replacing Joy in importance. 

9 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Ooh, how's Derick going to spin that? 

Now, mind you, I know that this is not a "tree falls in a forest" thing and people are perfectly capable of marking a holiday without posting about it online, but for a guy who's on Twitter so often, you'd think Derick could spare 140 characters to wish his mom and his wife a happy Mother's Day. Fuck, man, this is Fundie World where you don't need to make an actual effort; all you have to say is "I like that you have a vagina and you like Jesus" and your wife will squee about what a wonderful husband you are. 

5 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

I, too, am a little irritated with how Jesus-flavored all the Mother's day posts from the Duggars and spouses are. I think Jessa was the only one who wrote a good one, with actual feeling and personality. Maybe he's just not good at expressing his feelings on social media, but maybe... on Mother's day... talk about how she's a good mom? Seems obvious to me, but what do I know, I'm a heathen who doesn't think loving Jesus is a personality trait.

Jeremy’s and Jinger’s were Jesus free

For a moment my eyes were convinced they had seen Grandma Dugger clutching a bottle of cheap prosecco in that middle photo with Jinger. I can see the two of them getting absolutely trashed together. If only... ...  what a great 'Bible Study Time' that would be....!!

6 hours ago, ElToro said:

For a moment my eyes were convinced they had seen Grandma Dugger clutching a bottle of cheap prosecco in that middle photo with Jinger. I can see the two of them getting absolutely trashed together. If only... ...  what a great 'Bible Study Time' that would be....!!

Nah. If Grandma Mary gets white girl wasted with anyone it’ll be Amy. Those two are thick as thieves (and I hate myself for saying this, but it’s kind of adorable how close they seem to be.)

17 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Nah. If Grandma Mary gets white girl wasted with anyone it’ll be Amy. Those two are thick as thieves (and I hate myself for saying this, but it’s kind of adorable how close they seem to be.)

I think it's cute also. I haven't  had grandparents since I was 12 & I am now 37. My grandmother didn't drive.  I'm sure grandma Mary loves spending time with Amy. 

13 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

As for the hair thing, I think that is going to be the hardest thing for them to get rid of maybe even harder than the no birth control thing. For a lot of women, with hair that long cutting it short(er) is a real life altering event. I think one of them will have to take that huge step 1st before the others try and follow suit.  I can see Jill cutting it as an attention grab, like the nose ring, and then the others following suit. Or I can see Jessa doing it because she's sick of the hassle with kids and all that hair and the others following suit, or Jinger doing the new mom thing and cutting off hair to make life easier,  I don't see Joy cutting her hair 1st unless Austin suggests it. 

I remember the first time I cut my hair. I was sixteen and let a friend of a friend do it and I cried as she just lopped off six inches off my ponytail and handed it back to me. I knew my mother was going to kill me, but I also thought it was horrible that I now had boy hair. 

I've had long hair for long that I struggle with cutting it. I can't imagine cutting it when you believe that God wants women to have long, curly hair. 

As for Joy's hair, the wind blown shit is exactly why I braid my hair a lot. I straighten it but it still curls along the bottom and mats. Which means de-tangling spray and a brush to fix it. 

4 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I've had long hair for long that I struggle with cutting it. I can't imagine cutting it when you believe that God wants women to have long, curly hair. 

As for Joy's hair, the wind blown shit is exactly why I braid my hair a lot. I straighten it but it still curls along the bottom and mats. Which means de-tangling spray and a brush to fix it. 

My daughter has long thin hair like Joy's even thinner than Joy's and it tangles just walking down a hall inside.  she's just 18 so about 2 1/2 years younger than Joy, shes not a girly girl but not a tomboy of Joy's level she's more in between, but she also isn't bothered with doing her hair and make up daily only dresses up when she has to, she normally wears her hair in some sort of messy ponytail/bun or just down. G never curls her hair, there is no point, it is almost like Asian hair it does nothing buy hang straight and getting it to curl require a lot of product and patients, one which she hates the other which has neither of.  

16 hours ago, Letizia said:

Jeremy’s and Jinger’s were Jesus free

I think what Jeremy said was awfully sweet. 

I have had really long hair for a good chunk of my life. It tangles and looks a mess five minutes after I brush it. I have to chop my hair off every once in a while though because it just gets too unhealthy if it stays too long for more than several years. I recently did the big chop from lower back to just below my shoulders. I wanted to cry, but I was losing chunks (pregnancy does weird things to your hair) and it was really just time. My little sister on the other hand had the same length hair and it was thick and beautiful. She chopped it to her shoulders. We all thought she was going to be a wreck and regret it, but she is happy and I think I might be the only one who misses her hair! All that to say, even if Joy didn't care about the beauty standard per Gothard, she has never chopped her hair off and I could see it being a rather emotional thing, it is after all a part of her and likely a huge part of her identity. Even if she was looking for a change or trying to make a visible break, unlike pants, that would be a semi-permanent change. Of course it would grow back (and probably be a bit healthier), it would take time ans she would have to deal with that.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived