IGNORED

Joy & Austin 23: Still Sticking Around

Jellybean

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever since I saw on tumblr how Austin's sister and him are essentially a prefect face swap I realized the Forsyth genes are extremely strong.

11 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Ever since I saw on tumblr how Austin's sister and him are essentially a prefect face swap I realized the Forsyth genes are extremely strong.

Wow! Genes actually stronger than Duggars genes, which I always thought were pretty strong!

Funny how the Duggars have huge babies, but they quickly thin out. Conversely, I had tiny babies who quickly became buttery balls.

On 5/22/2018 at 7:20 PM, beepy13 said:

His expression is hilarious.

It really is. My first thought when I saw this was that they look like a ventriloquist act in this picture...

I’m not trying to be mean, he’s a perfectly cute baby.  I think his features look exaggerated in this photo.

29 minutes ago, TeaELSee said:

It really is. My first thought when I saw this was that they look like a ventriloquist act in this picture...

I’m not trying to be mean, he’s a perfectly cute baby.  I think his features look exaggerated in this photo.

In general Gideon makes pretty funny faces. He's very cute, and his expressive face is just part of the cuteness. 

18 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Funny how the Duggars have huge babies, but they quickly thin out. Conversely, I had tiny babies who quickly became buttery balls.

I had huge babies that remained huge. I had people ask what I fed them and admire them.And had people accuse me of overfeeding them,and or tell me they were doomed to be overweight.Gideon is a cutie,though.

23 hours ago, SassyPants said:

This is actually another hallmark of babies born to mothers with gestational diabetes, which why I've suspected all along they are going undiagnosed. It would be super easy if they are not doing the 2-hour glucose tolerance test, or even if you do it, you may have done it prior to the diabetes manifesting itself (for example, you pass at 25 weeks, but baby tracks very large in third trimester and you very well could fail it at 32 weeks).

The medical term for this thinning out is "catch down" - in the way that small babies who had growth restriction in utero will eventually catch up, babies of diabetic mothers are artificially large, so to speak, and will thin out to the weight they would have been.

Would a baby born to a mother with gestational diabetes,have low blood sugar?

With one of my sons,they brought formula and said I needed to supplement until my milk came in,that he had low blood sugar and needed the extra calories.

I had a glucose tolerance test,it was normal.At the time,I wasn't obese,maybe a few pounds overweight.I didn't gain an absurd amount of weight.With 2nd and 3rd, 33lbs both times ,and  6 weeks after their births ,I was back to my pre pregnancy weights.

My husband was a large baby,later diabetic.My two remaining sons,too.

I had gestation diabetes with my middle child. My results were right on the cut off for normal/gd - resulting in some very confused dieticians, obgyns and midwives. No one had come across a case on the cut off and so we proceeded with caution and I was testing my sugars four times a day and watching what I ate and drunk.

My baby was born at 33 weeks 6 days and was 6lb 12oz lol. So yes it was decided that I did in fact have GD! Her blood sugars were closely watched in the week we had in hospital. I had started expressing prior to her birth at the request of the obgyn incase she came super early and needed fed - to hopefully avoid formula. Thankfully im a good cow and managed to get about 1lt of breastmilk expressed in the weeks before her birth. (Helped that big bro only weaned when I got pregnant). Her younger sister was born at 36 weeks and 6lb 13oz, no gestational diabetes. 

@melon Babies born to mums with diabetes should be monitored for low sugar.

They're getting high blood sugars from mum (via the placenta), so they make lots of insulin to keep they're own sugars normal.

They get born and lose the source of high sugar (placenta), but it takes a few days for their bodies to realise they don't need as much insulin.  Thus there can be a period where they have more insulin then they need and have hypoglycemia.

Its normally fine, there's a spectrum of normal sugars, to borderline and needing top ups (with formula), but sometimes these babies can need IV fluids with lots of sugar in them for a while.

The worse the diabetic control is and the higher mum's blood sugars are, the more risk there is of this happening (and its likely to be worse). 

I had GD with both kids, DD was born basically on her due date and was 7lb 13 oz, they didn't do any tests for her (I monitored controlled sugars by diet only), with DS, I had it again and ended up taking a little extra meds to keep things under control (no insulin though). and he was two weeks early and weighed 6 lb 11 oz. Figure if he'd cooked the next two weeks, he'd be about were DD was. I don't think they tested him for blood sugars either.

22 hours ago, melon said:

With one of my sons,they brought formula and said I needed to supplement until my milk came in,that he had low blood sugar and needed the extra calories.

I had a glucose tolerance test,it was normal.At the time,I wasn't obese,maybe a few pounds overweight.I didn't gain an absurd amount of weight.With 2nd and 3rd, 33lbs both times ,and  6 weeks after their births ,I was back to my pre pregnancy weights.

My endocrinologist said about 50% of babies she sees are born with low blood sugar BUT most of those are born to mothers who were on insulin. 

On 5/24/2018 at 5:29 PM, melon said:

Yes, because once they are born they are cut off from their high sugar source, the mother. Infant's of diabetic mothers (even those with only gestation diabetes) tend to be large for dates...all that circulating sugar makes them grow big, but lack in maturation. These babies are also notorious for being lousy feeders, having low tone...often end up on IVs in the first few days to stabilize blood sugars.

Gideon is so so so cute. His little facial expressions are too funny.

I can't believe how much of a clone he is of his dad at only 3 months. Joystin's 19+ kids will all be dead ringers for him, I predict. lol

On 5/24/2018 at 3:14 PM, melon said:

I had huge babies that remained huge. I had people ask what I fed them and admire them.And had people accuse me of overfeeding them,and or tell me they were doomed to be overweight.Gideon is a cutie,though.

Me too. I have giant babies who stay giant. My then 4mo was wearing large diapers (hes got cloth)and 24mo clothes lol

I got a phone call in on me because a crazy bitch decided my exclisively breastfed 2mo was too big because he'd almost doubled his 10lb birth weight. I don't know what the fuck she thought she was tattling on me for but I'm still pissed.

Gideon is definitely cute and I'm another one surprised he doesn't look "Like a Duggar " since most of them do.

• 3 weeks later...

Jim Bob with Giddy, Garrett and I believe Mason. there is a picture of Joy and Giddy over on the Joy and Kendra thread. 

image.png.ae5c873aa1f963c81c98e1abb51c0864.png

12 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Jim Bob with Giddy, Garrett and I believe Mason. there is a picture of Joy and Giddy over on the Joy and Kendra thread. 

image.png.ae5c873aa1f963c81c98e1abb51c0864.png

Is Jim Bob’s way of holding Mason safe? I feel like he’s pressing him between his legs and that might hurt but Mason seems fine so idk

Near toddlers are not that fragile :)  With so many boys to rough house with He is  going to be teased, bruised up, knocked down and knocked over constantly for the next 20 years at least. I pity any of them that is more of a brain than a bruiser actually. 

34 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Is Jim Bob’s way of holding Mason safe? I feel like he’s pressing him between his legs and that might hurt but Mason seems fine so idk

Yeah, he's fine, he's just trying to keep him from running off, getting an older infant to stand/sit still while wrangling two younger infants, one a newborn, is like nailing Jello to your roof, in Texas, in July. 

35 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

naw, they're tough little things. They're not really that fragile at all. They'll be roughhousing, taking shots at each other, throwing things, climbing on things. falling off things before much longer. 

Granddaughter #2 took a head first tumble down the brick outside steps at not quite 2 years old. Hubs said it sounded like a bowling ball going down the steps. She bounced up at the bottom of the steps and was just fine. Hubs told her to stay on the top step while he put the hose away...well, K didn't listen too well :) and took that header...she didn't even have a knot on her bean. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived