IGNORED

Alyssa & John: Life With Three Daughters

Jellybean

More pics of the weekend. I would wear Alyssa's jacket in Pic 4 in a heartbeat!

Lexi also has beautiful brown eyes, and all of the young men look good. How can a family with ugly beliefs look so gosh darn nice?

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They way Warden is holding Zoey is giving me anxiety.

Also Isaiah is tall!

Looking at Whitney and Zach's "do-over" pinterest perfection wedding is making me wonder if Alyssa is now thinking about how nice it would be to get a do-over on her "hot pink and malibu blue" wedding and get the cute fitted dress with no sleeves that we all know she secretly wanted given how quick she was to ditch Gil and Kelly's modest standards after her transfer of authority....

4 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

love the look on Allie's face she just seems so over it all. 

Another day, another Bates family professional photo shoot. :pb_rollseyes: :pb_lol:

At least the kids are cute. And the photos weren’t subjected to the Taryn Yager Blur Effect. 

Lexi is honestly one of the most beautiful babies I've ever seen. Just adorable. 

Alyssa is talking home school supply's on her IG right now. sure it was another freebie she got. 

also she posted this picture of her and John. 

1 hour ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Alyssa is talking home school supply's on her IG right now. sure it was another freebie she got. 

also she posted this picture of her and John. 

Yep. I grabbed a screenshot of one of her Stories:

79523D3C-A973-4B53-88D9-16244DDC23CA.thumb.png.1d2d976668fb89cd56c8f6ca4ad51dd3.png

Noticed her going through these too and clicked over to the etsy. They seem like cute but generic pictures/themes, nothing too Jesus-y? 

People give Alyssa a lot of shit for her crazy-bright wedding, but I kind of love it. Yeah those tacky, shiny dresses are a bit much but I see it as her being finally allowed to take ownership and have something for herself. And what a statement she made! Compared to all her sisters and the Duggar weddings with their muted colored, extra modest themes hers was so much fun. 

Allie Jane homeschooled? But I thought Alyssa was going to send her daughters to a public school then off to college in NYC! Or at least that was what people were implying here....:pb_rollseyes: Lol

Her daughters are beautiful, wish they would have the opportunities to cultivate their minds instead of their looks. 

I thought lots of Americans do pre schooling by themselves? We have a very different concept so I am often unsure how it works in the US.

What is shown looks like classic end of kindergarten (age 3-6) or first grade (age 6/7) materials to me that you can often find in homes because the kids just love to do it.

But she might be homeschooling after all. I still hope they won’t. I already don’t believe one person is capable to teach the whole range of subjects (not from a point of knowledge and especially not from a didactic point) and Alyssa doesn’t seem to be overly intellectual/ interested in education.

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

I thought lots of Americans do pre schooling by themselves? We have a very different concept so I am often unsure how it works in the US.

What is shown looks like classic end of kindergarten (age 3-6) or first grade (age 6/7) materials to me that you can often find in homes because the kids just love to do it.

But she might be homeschooling after all. I still hope they won’t. I already don’t believe one person is capable to teach the whole range of subjects (not from a point of knowledge and especially not from a didactic point) and Alyssa doesn’t seem to be overly intellectual/ interested in education.

It likely varies a lot based off who you ask. My personal experience has pointed towards families choosing to send their kids to preschool rather than homeschool. We’ve been looking into it a bit already for our daughter and we’ll likely end up sending her for half days and just a few times per week. Sending her is really just to get her used to the structure of being in the classroom and help her develop better social skills prior to starting kindergarten. 

Daniel Webster's first law passed in Florida was to legalize homeschooling (in the 1980's) they basically have to homeschool. The only way I an see them bend the rules a little is if there is another relative with similarly aged kids who helps out. However, homeschooling is only a couple of hours a day, especially when the kids are elementary school age. I don't think it will be a huge deal for her to do it.

Alyssa said that she was planning on homeschooling so I would expect that she'll at least start out that way.

On 7/24/2018 at 7:39 AM, just_ordinary said:

Not really, at least not in the West Coast. I know one family with 3 kids who homeschooled for preschool and kindergarten, then sent them to public school. Then 2 of my cousins in Oregon didn't receive any proper preschool, no idea why. You could say the younger cousin kind of did, as her mom gave her copies of worksheets her brother got in his kindergarten class (he was 9 months older so he was a grade ahead. Their 9 month gap is coincidental as they were both adopted). But I'm almost positive her brother had 0 education before kindergarten, which I have mixed feelings about.

Aside from those cases, everyone else I know attended a public or private preschool.

On 7/24/2018 at 10:39 AM, just_ordinary said:

Nope, I used to teach daycare, pre-k and kindergarten. From my experience, in NYC, it's very very rare that a child goes straight to kindergarten or first grade. We had one child who was home schooled until first grade and her mom just used it as an excuse to keep her home. It was quite obvious when a 7 year old didn't know the alphabet. It's a very specific demographic in NYC tho. I never taught in a school outside of this city. So maybe it's more common somewhere else. Most parents around here send their kids to day care for half days so that they can get used to the social settings. 

Oh good grief (to me) I just read @OyToTheVey's location as colluding around. Perhaps I need a break from QofP, news, agent orange...

Back to the thread.

35 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

Oh good grief (to me) I just read @OyToTheVey's location as colluding around. Perhaps I need a break from QofP, news, agent orange...

Back to the thread.

:evil-laugh:

Allie and Lexi are both cute kids! Obviously Zoey is only a baby right now, I wonder what she’ll look like when she’s a bit older. 

23 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

Nope, I used to teach daycare, pre-k and kindergarten. From my experience, in NYC, it's very very rare that a child goes straight to kindergarten or first grade. We had one child who was home schooled until first grade and her mom just used it as an excuse to keep her home. It was quite obvious when a 7 year old didn't know the alphabet. It's a very specific demographic in NYC tho. I never taught in a school outside of this city. So maybe it's more common somewhere else. Most parents around here send their kids to day care for half days so that they can get used to the social settings. 

I see. Here children are not expected to know the alphabet or write before first grade. There are some special activities at the end of kindergarten but the tenor is that they develop abilities with lots of crafting, playing and being outside in kindergarten and „real“ subjects come later.

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

I see. Here children are not expected to know the alphabet or write before first grade. There are some special activities at the end of kindergarten but the tenor is that they develop abilities with lots of crafting, playing and being outside in kindergarten and „real“ subjects come later.

I don't want to make generalizations but in two different states that we lived in its been the same which is that the kids are expected to read in Kindergarten.  The Kindergarten teachers let us know that some kid don't read until 1st grade and that doesn't mean that something is wrong but I think they are generally expected to be reading to some degree in Kinder.  

16 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

I don't want to make generalizations but in two different states that we lived in its been the same which is that the kids are expected to read in Kindergarten.  The Kindergarten teachers let us know that some kid don't read until 1st grade and that doesn't mean that something is wrong but I think they are generally expected to be reading to some degree in Kinder.  

Same here. They are supposed to start reading at 6 years old (1st grade) but most schools teach them to fully read at 5 years old. At 4 they know how to read words. At 3 they know letters and write their name. Nowadays, trendy schools don't teach that way, but my kids school is a traditional one. 

How many people watched tonight’s episode and wondered if Alyssa does water births?  That tub was in her room for a reason.

She does seem to have easy births.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived