IGNORED

Lori Alexander 44: Ken Galloping Off on the Horse of Truth The Feminists Are Coming!

Bible question for y'all: it's been mentioned a few times recently on various posts that marriage is supposed to mirror the relationship Jesus had with the church. 

Is this accurate? Is there anything in the bible to say or even allude to that idea? And how, exactly, would it mirror? Maybe I'm getting hung up on the sex/intimacy portion of the marriage relationship but they don't seem the same to me.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Imrlgoddess said:

Bible question for y'all: it's been mentioned a few times recently on various posts that marriage is supposed to mirror the relationship Jesus had with the church. 

Is this accurate? Is there anything in the bible to say or even allude to that idea? And how, exactly, would it mirror? Maybe I'm getting hung up on the sex/intimacy portion of the marriage relationship but they don't seem the same to me.

I'm not up on that part to even attempt to answer that, except to mention that there is quite a bit of the sex/intimacy part alluded to in art depicting female saints. (See the Ecstasy of St. Theresa, for example.) Not specifically Jesus and the church, but it is a religious experience described and often depicted in a rather orgasmic way. 

Based on what St. Theresa described, however, the Holy Spirit is apparently way better than 10 minutes and some lube. 

42 minutes ago, Imrlgoddess said:

First, I am not a scholar. But Ephesians 25-33 is typically written about how Jesus love the church and gave himself up for the church and men should love their wives like Jesus loved the church

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, 26 in order to make her holy by cleansing her with the washing of water by the word, 27 so as to present the church to himself in splendor, without a spot or wrinkle or anything of the kind—yes, so that she may be holy and without blemish. 28 In the same way, husbands should love their wives as they do their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hates his own body, but he nourishes and tenderly cares for it, just as Christ does for the church, 30 because we are members of his body. 31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” 32 This is a great mystery, and I am applying it to Christ and the church. 33 Each of you, however, should love his wife as himself, and a wife should respect her husband.

@Sarah92 If you don’t follow wolfgang2242 on IG, you must! He rescues senior dogs but also has chickens, a pig, and I think a rabbit. He’s amazing. 

@quiversR4hunting I follow Laura B on IG. I don’t know how I found her but she’s amazing. Such a beautiful soul. 

10 hours ago, cara said:

Interesting to hear her talk about 'cutting strings' and arguing with her teenagers because her usual stance is that all her children were perfect and never rebelled ever. It must be really weird for her children and extended family to constantly read conflicting or outright false retellings of their lives. How confusing that must be. 

Yeah, Lori struggles greatly to keep her story straight.  We have several instances of her and Ken contradicting each other, and of Lori contradicting herself.

Here's one example.  Lori wrote:

We didn't have to resort to charts, bedtime routines, stickers, or time outs. We spanked them if they didn't obey us!

Ken  wrote:

Sitting on the fireplace steps was our most effective discipline tool which was used often, but defiance in a child met with a swat.

So which is it?  Did they never resort to time out, or was it their most effective discipline tool?

Another example.

Lori says:

None of my children are argumentative or strong-willed at all.

Lori:

All of our children were strong-willed 

Lori (referring to Alyssa and her husband):

These were two VERY strong willed children.  Alyssa was definitely the one born with the strongest will in our family 

1 hour ago, Imrlgoddess said:

As a lifelong "fundamentalist" Christian, I still don't understand that supposition.  The passage that talks about marriage and Christ and the Church is Ephesians 5, starting at verse 21:

21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord.23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body.31 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”[c] 32 This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

I have boldened the bits that talk about the relationship of Christ-Church and husband wife.  I don't draw the conclusion that many Complementarian scholars do. I think this passage is an analogy that explains the unity of marriage and how both parties should honor, love and respect each other. I think it also explains the unity of Christ and the Church by using the familiar picture of a marriage.   I don't think this analogy means we're called  to represent the relationship of Christ and the Church.  It doesn't make any sense to me.  The devotion the Church has for Christ is a devotion Christ earned through his death on the cross, and no husband has earned or should expect such devotion!  

Ken's posts on the matter are especially troubling because he seems to believe that a wife should make herself vulnerable to her husband the way she makes herself vulnerable to Jesus. He appears to believe that a husband plays a role in healing his wife and this is something she needs to submit to.   People like Jeff or Dave really think that their job is to sanctify their wives.  I don't get that understanding of the passage because there are plenty of married women who are spiritually a lot further than their husbands and plenty who are married to men who don't even believe in Jesus. How can a non-believer be the "spiritual head" of his wife?  

I don't think this idea is correct. Jesus never said that a wife should come with her husband or that her husband should preach the word to her.  The Bible teaches us that we all receive the Holy Spirit and I believe it's the Holy Spirit who does the convicting and cleansing, not the husband. 

It's an interesting passage that I really wish would simply be read and left to speak for itself.  I have yet to hear a preacher teach this passage in a way that I can agree with wholeheartedly. 

Heh...it's like she lives to show him up.

Ken on Saturday:

As if we have any need to be frugal at our stage of life having been relatively frugal and successful for the last 40 years. 

Lori on Monday:

So you see, Ken, it's kind of ridiculous for a woman who doesn't have "any need of being frugal" to run around the internet admonishing other women to have a frugal mindset.  

Hope that helps.  You're welcome.

WOW!!

Dave says:    
April 30, 2018 at 11:20 am

How does it benefit? Simple: life or death; Heaven or Hell. Carolyn has gained the whole world but lost her soul. She is measuring it all without the word of God, which she is noticeably blaspheming per Titus 2.

But, she has the choice to choose death. God says He has set that in front of her also.

2 hours ago, Imrlgoddess said:

Instructions for Christian Households

21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord.23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washingwith water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wivesas their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body.31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”[c] 32 This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

Damn!! This needs to go viral. There is no bible command to marry! Not all are called for it.  So wow wow wow, if you don't marry you aren't saved now?? I wonder if the woman who asked this question has tried to respond. She left the question , 2 months ago on Lori old blog. Lori prob figured this woman forgot about it and won't be around to debate her answer.

So here is a prime example of why I work:

Three weeks ago the refrigerator died ($450 for a cheap new one). Yesterday, the air conditioner in the hubby's van went out and will be $900-something.   Fortunately, as much of a pain as it is to spend the money, we have it covered with savings. We don't have to charge up the credit card.  We won't loose a bit of sleep wondering how we will pay for it, though I pray nothing else happens for a while.  

1 hour ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

WOW!!

Dave says:    
April 30, 2018 at 11:20 am

How does it benefit? Simple: life or death; Heaven or Hell. Carolyn has gained the whole world but lost her soul. She is measuring it all without the word of God, which she is noticeably blaspheming per Titus 2.

But, she has the choice to choose death. God says He has set that in front of her also.

One would think Lori would ban Dave from commenting after his statement that a wife has to allow, and even participate in molesting the children, or get an abortion if her husband says so, but I guess that wasn't bad enough to put him on her no-go list. 

I think I'm having an issue with my computer, I have tried to quote a couple of things but it's not working for me.  Anyway.

Lori's comments about: 

"When you marry a godly, hard-working man, you won’t need a degree and a salary. He will be the one out in the world working hard to provide for you...

You will most likely live in a home, have a car or two, a retirement plan, and health insurance because of your husband’s hard work for you and your family. "

Yeah, until his job goes away after 20 + years like my husband's job did.  If I had not already been working, we would have been in a world of hurt!

And the part where she said men are less likely to be deceived?  Um, no!

1 hour ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

Damn!! This needs to go viral. There is no bible command to marry! Not all are called for it.  So wow wow wow, if you don't marry you aren't saved now?? I wonder if the woman who asked this question has tried to respond. She left the question , 2 months ago on Lori old blog. Lori prob figured this woman forgot about it and won't be around to debate her answer.

Actually, Lori's savior Paul gives a rather lukewarm endorsement of marriage, "It is better to marry than to burn". He strongly promotes singleness. Lori and this Dave person are heretical and have created their own theology. It's a cult, not even Christian if you ask me. 

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

Actually, Lori's savior Paul gives a rather lukewarm endorsement of marriage, "It is better to marry than to burn". He strongly promotes singleness. Lori and this Dave person are heretical and have created their own theology. It's a cult, not even Christian if you ask me. 

1 Corinthians 7:7  Sometimes I wish everyone were single like me—a simpler life in many ways! But celibacy is not for everyone any more than marriage is. God gives the gift of the single life to some, the gift of the married life to others. 

If you honor your wife, your prayers will not be hindered. If you do not, they will. (1 Peter 3:7) (not sure how Lori feels about Peter.)

From Lori's blog today.

“As a woman, how exactly does marriage benefit me? I’m not trying to argue; it’s my honest response. I have a degree and a salary and I’m being called to give that up to take care and clean up after someone all the while letting him lord me in any way he pleases. I have my own apartment, paid off car, retirement plan, health insurance, etc. and I’m being told that giving all of that up is more beneficial for a woman than a man. I’m really sorry but I’m honestly looking for answers to this. I want to be convinced of how marriage will be financially better for me if it’s going to financially ruin men.”

Oh Honey!  Take your degree, your job, your 401K, your own apartment, your paid off car and your health insurance and run like hell from ANY advice Lori gives you!  Take vacations, alone or with friends/lovers, travel the world, visit museums, immerse yourself in other cultures, eat exotic foods, meet interesting people...in short, have a wonderful time until you are ready to settle down.  When you're ready to settle, look for someone who appreciates you for what you are, not what you can do for him/her.

Fuck Lori and the Bible she rode in on.  You'll be a lot happier.

JMO...but I know I'm right. :pb_lol:

Taking a break from a huge take home test, yeah finals week! Her whole why to get married thing was kinda ridiculous. I mean I think kids are important but they aren't for everyone. I'm 25, single, and graduating from grad school. I don't feel like my life is empty. I mean seriously, romantic intimacy is not the only form of intimacy. I have great friends and a close relationship with family. If I don't have kids I intend to be an awesome aunt. 

Lori assumes those who don't get married can't possibly live a fulfilled life. She conveniently ignores Paul's singleness. Of course given how much she uses of the Bible isn't unexpected. I hope that girl takes her self worth and runs far away from Lori

On 4/29/2018 at 3:00 PM, ItsaJjungle said:

This made my day (not that I want you to die or anything!!). I hope we all die tits up doing something we love! When I had my last baby, the guy doing my spinal couldn’t get it in, and after an hour and more than a dozen jabs in my back and a worried expression on my OB’s face, I remember thinking, “okay...this is how I’m going to die. Undignified, ass exposed, pregnanter than anyone should ever be allowed to be and scared to death. This isn’t what I wanted, but dammit, I’m gonna be brave and not start sobbing like I really really want to because dying bravely would be better than dying snotty.” What I should’ve done was sat up, told that bastard to get his hands off my spine and call an expert. Haha (he was a really kind doctor, and got the best doctor at the hospital to come and do a blood patch after I suffered a terrible spinal headache from his torture). But in my terror, I became like a meek child ready to go to my grave. Anyway...that’s a long and pointless story just to say that I love your spark. And I’m stealing some of it for myself (I might need it since I’m headed back to the hospital for another csection in a few weeks). 

I thought about you since I read this yesterday. Thank you for your kind words and your encouragement - which I bet you didn't even know you gave me. I usually have a pretty good attitude about my crazy medical journey. Life, good and bad, has always been an adventure. Sometimes though, I have a day or three, where I get frustrated by my limitations. Your comment was on one of those days and you lifted my spirits. Thank you!!

As far as stealing spark - thieve away!! And so many good wishes and thoughts for the upcoming c-section and birth of your baby!!

Of course, I was just raised an ebil Catholic but I distinctly remember when we were being prepped for our Confirmation (aged around 11/12) that the nun in charge of us was talking about our adult lives, and how we should always aim to go forth and spread God's love in the world.

She said there were three lifestyles for adults - one was to get married, one was to remain single and one was to join a religious community. And all three were equally valid and glorious in God's eyes and all three were equally capable of spreading his love in the world.

Weird what Lori makes me remember; I hadn't thought of that in years!!! Cheers, Lor!

:my_biggrin:

While I enjoy this fine beautiful early morning I'm thinking to myself, "hmmm what will Lori wrote about today?" . I'm guessing.....a huge direct quote from someone on being frugal or another modesty post.

From today's post:

A few days ago, I was outside in front of my home watching my grandchildren play. A sweet neighborhood girl who is six years old came to play with them and brought over all of her dress up clothes which my oldest granddaughter loves! They were having a great time but then I heard the little girl say to my granddaughter, “Boys can wear dresses, too!” I quickly responded, “None of these boys will ever wear dresses!” Then she said, “Boys can wear tutus, too.” And I answered, “None of these boys will ever wear tutus! Dresses and tutus are for girls.”

She’s in the public school system and her parents are not believers 

Lori, you shameful excuse for a Christian, you are gossiping about a child!  

@Ken Are you even reading this?  She is openly gossiping about your neighbor's child.  Do you realize how disgusting and "unchristian" that is?  She is the definition of a tattle tale. 

Is this what you are talking about when you refer to "doing all things Christian"?  Does it include gossiping about children?  What if your neighbor read this?!  What kind of testimony would that be for your Christ??  

And Lori?  You are bragging about your (completely foolish) retorts to a young child.  She is 100% right.  Boys can wear dresses.  You, on the other hand are presuming to speak for other human beings, who you will eventually have absolutely zero control over.  You aren't capable of saying they will "never" do anything.   Seriously, get a clue.  That kid is already smarter than you are.

Couple of odd things about this story-

1) Who are "these boys".  Lori has one grandson.  Who on earth is she talking about?

2) What prompted the child to randomly announce that boys can wear dresses?  Did Lori say something to bring it into the conversation (perhaps looking for something to blog about)?  

Either way, Lori has once again shown that she has no class, and is not as smart as most six year olds.

You will most likely live in a home, have a car or two, a retirement plan, and health insurance because of your husband’s hard work for you and your family.....

You will get to live by your own schedule instead of your boss’ schedule. If it’s a pretty day out, you can take your children to the park. If you’re sick, you can rest on the couch while the children play around you...

You can meet a friend for coffee and help those in need since you’ll be more available. You’ll have plenty of time and energy to go shopping, cook healthy meals from scratch, and keep your home clean and tidy...

You’ll have a man around to help you with things that you are unable to do. He can carry and move things that are too heavy for you. He can fix things that you are simply unable to fix. He will protect you since he is much stronger than you....

I used to be in Lori's secret chatroom till I was kicked out. This is not the life many of her leg humpers live. Their husbands are working LONG hours for little money. There was a few exceptions (one was married to a surgeon in there and the few comments I saw her make made me think they had A LOT more money than LorKen does. 

I don't know why Lori keeps blathering on about not wanting to leave her house when she seems more than happy to spend her summers over in Door County. I wonder though, if those will stop once her mother passes on. Since Lori mentioned being able to help those in need, I would think she would be at her mother's home quite often. If  I had a family member in hospice, I would be spending every second I could with them. 

27 minutes ago, Koala said:

re you even reading this?  She is openly gossiping about your neighbor's child.  Do you realize how disgusting and "unchristian" that is?  She is the definition of a tattle tale. 

Is this what you are talking about when you refer to "doing all things Christian"?  Does it include gossiping about children?  What if your neighbor read this?!  What kind of testimony would that be for your Christ??  

I just read that and was appalled.   It's horrible enough when she gossips about people in a more generic fashion ("woman at the beach" "server in the restaurant") but when she actually talks about a neighbor and child who many people can probably readily identify (same as with bikini wearing pastor's wife, etc)  this is just OVER THE LINE.   NO EXCUSES!!  You can disagree with people and their beliefs 100 ways to Sunday but who gives you the right to take on a six-year-old child????

Ken can defend Lori all he wants but he should DEMAND this post come down immediately.  I'm sure some of the neighbors know about Lori and her blog.   I would be knocking at her door in an instant. 

EDIT:  Does anyone have that email address Ken posted over on FB? Can someone PM me?  I typically don't get involved with their nonsense (other than shaking my head or banging it against a proverbial wall) , but I want to respectfully email him and ask to have that post removed. Lori could easily make her misguided points without using the example of the child and her parents.  My heart hurts.  Of all the ridiculous things she says over and over again, this one really crossed the line. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived