IGNORED

Dillards 56: Running a Marathon but not Working

Coconut Flan

There are some kid's TV shows that I can abide or even love, and then there shows that are just stupid like Super Why.  My little granddaughter who is deaf loves Pingu.  Pingu is a sweet little penguin who stars in a claymation cartoon.  The cartoon, although not completely silent, is wordless and I think that's part of its attraction for my granddaughter.  My granddaughter does have cochlear implants, but silence is her natural world.  She loves Peppa as well, but when her mom was in the hospital a couple of months ago, she could -and did- watch Peppa without her processors on completely happily.  

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Fruit_Salad said:

There are some parents who prefer to leave the car seat in the car. I think it’s more of a personal preference. Where I live we have very harsh winters and in my opinion it is better to carry them in their car seat under blankets than expose their skin to the harsh cold. 

Same here, really harsh winters, as well as really sunny hot summers.  I'm due in July, so I don't want to have to load my newborn into a scalding hot car seat. Or load a 6 month old into a car seat that's -20C.

1 hour ago, Fruit_Salad said:

There are some parents who prefer to leave the car seat in the car. I think it’s more of a personal preference. Where I live we have very harsh winters and in my opinion it is better to carry them in their car seat under blankets than expose their skin to the harsh cold. 

Agreed. I had a February baby so we kept him in the carseat under the cover when we would go grocery shopping. It protected him from the elements outside and the germs of strangers in the store. 

The thing is when we take the kiddo shopping we make the trips as short as possible (we are only minutes from the store). Babies aren't meant to be in the seat for hours on end. Jill's trick seems to encourage long use of the carseat which is dangerous in itself, but then add in an incorrect angle? Those Duggarlings are lucky to have made it to adulthood alive and well. 

I'm still trying to figure out her thought process on this stroller. Why not just put him in the umbrella stroller? This is so stupid. :pb_lol: 

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:34 PM, EmmieJ said:

But my god,  the Republicans are so totally corrupt.  How do Republican voters not see this?  Whatever you might say about Hillary, she never tricked some unsuspecting person into her basement, handcuffed that person, blindfolded them, stripped them naked, and then took pictures to be used as blackmail.  She never pretended to be pro life then paid for a mistress' abortion and hushed it up.    As far as we know, she has been faithful to her marriage vows.  She would know better than to brush some possible dandruff off the French President's shoulder while in front of the press and joke about it.  

I sincerely hope those that voted for Trump basically because he had R after his name and wasn't Hillary are regretting their vote and deciding that maybe next time, they'll put a smidge more thought into who they vote for.  Fuck.  I am so angry at those people still.  That's wny I am not sure we can heal as a country.  I am so deeply angry with Republicans for bringing us to this brink of disaster.  

ETA: This is my view point on this. And my little social experiment containing the two DIE HARD Republicans I know. (Three if you count my uncle). Your mileage may vary - standard disclaimers apply.

My parents are staunch Republicans. The first Bush wasn't quite conservative enough for them. They hate the Affordable Care Act (despite my sister relying on it to LIVE), and they hate Obama - but oh boy do they have some special hatred for Hillary Clinton. 

Now - how can Republican Voters not see this? It's because - at least in my parents case - they watch Fox. Non Stop. Go on vacation to Florida and have the option of spending the day with your only grandson or watch Fox? Fox. My dad - and my uncle - wholeheartedly believe everything that is said on that channel. My Uncle says Trump would be an awesome president if he'd just stop tweeting (while I admit it would be lovely if he just put down the damn phone - and is that thing secure? I don't think that would be the magic pill). They believe that there is a conspiracy against him. Despite my father working in federal criminal justice his entire career - and likely knowing people in the FBI & CIA - he thinks they're all corrupt because Fox told him they were. He believes it. And it ties in nicely with his deep deep hatred for Hillary - because she murdered people! (I don't know - my first election was Bill Clinton & I voted for him - I don't really know what the murder thing is all about...) 

My mom seems torn. She does not like Trump. She's a Republican - but I know she was voting for Kasich in the primaries because she doesn't like Trump. I haven't asked her what she thinks lately - but she does roll her eyes about 45. 

21 minutes ago, Meggo said:

ETA: This is my view point on this. And my little social experiment containing the two DIE HARD Republicans I know. (Three if you count my uncle). Your mileage may vary - standard disclaimers apply.

My parents are staunch Republicans. The first Bush wasn't quite conservative enough for them. They hate the Affordable Care Act (despite my sister relying on it to LIVE), and they hate Obama - but oh boy do they have some special hatred for Hillary Clinton. 

Now - how can Republican Voters not see this? It's because - at least in my parents case - they watch Fox. Non Stop. Go on vacation to Florida and have the option of spending the day with your only grandson or watch Fox? Fox. My dad - and my uncle - wholeheartedly believe everything that is said on that channel. My Uncle says Trump would be an awesome president if he'd just stop tweeting (while I admit it would be lovely if he just put down the damn phone - and is that thing secure? I don't think that would be the magic pill). They believe that there is a conspiracy against him. Despite my father working in federal criminal justice his entire career - and likely knowing people in the FBI & CIA - he thinks they're all corrupt because Fox told him they were. He believes it. And it ties in nicely with his deep deep hatred for Hillary - because she murdered people! (I don't know - my first election was Bill Clinton & I voted for him - I don't really know what the murder thing is all about...) 

My mom seems torn. She does not like Trump. She's a Republican - but I know she was voting for Kasich in the primaries because she doesn't like Trump. I haven't asked her what she thinks lately - but she does roll her eyes about 45. 

The same applies for my dad, although he is a Dem. He hates HC, and probably more so because she's a female. He truly thinks that the world was made for men. He's an octogenarian and old school. My mom was voting for HC until Comey released that she was again under investigation. She flipped to Trump. They are both loud and proud, likely because they are embarrassed by their choice. Yesterday my dad called and was so excited about the NK purported nuclear deal. So happy after 8 years of Obama doing nothing, we have a real president dealing with the scum of the Earth...to which I replied, "IDK dad, I lived in CA for most of Obama's term and I was never affected by a nuclear missile, were you"? He moved on to another subject.

If a child is injured or dies because of Jill's car seat hack, would/could she be held legally liable? 

A good lawyer could argue that she continued to promote the hack as evidenced by leaving it on her social media despite many, many warnings from posters that this is not safe and, that with her midwifery background, her followers may have been influenced by her "expert" knowledge.

I think my dad also believes that men are just better than women and women need to be "protected". Now he had three daughters - one has a PhD, one has a masters and one - is um - me. But I have a university degree! 

So he raised smart women. He raised professional women who can (for the most part) take care of themselves - but they both still consider my sisters "the girls" (even though my sisters are creeping up on 50- they're both unmarried so...). 

It's all so weird. We were taught to give money to the poor, to help others, to respect others - and at some point - they became these uber conservatives and it's baffling.

@Meggo, the right-wing has been after Hillary for years.  They are convinced that she had Vince Foster murdered.  He committed suicide on one of the islands in the Potomac near Washington.  It's honestly one of their favorite conspiracies.  

@PennySycamore . . . I have never heard of this theory in my life (going to go "research" it when I can) ;)

Also, HIIIIII everyone ~ finished helping my Mom sell her house, and moved into the bigger house (YAY!), so I'm finally back :)
I figured I'd bring the gift of a Christian joke, in honor of Derick's missionary dreams:

"What's a missionary's favorite car?"

Spoiler

A CONVERTible

tenor_(3).gif.2a9d1fc20b2ec0bea2ae0265e68e412f.gif

Alrighty then :P  Now onwards to catch up on this stroller fiasco *eyeroll*

1 hour ago, Meggo said:

It's all so weird. We were taught to give money to the poor, to help others, to respect others - and at some point - they became these uber conservatives and it's baffling.

Honestly I think those are values plenty of conservative people hold, but in the context of a different worldview and frankly, some bad facts. Like giving to the poor/helping others- lots of conservatives staunchly believe the we give too many benefits to low income people which prevents them from being properly motivated to move up in the world. That's not what research indicates about benefits though (pretty much the opposite, actually). There's some pretty deep distrust of the system/others' sown into most conservatives- conservative talk radio had been going on about the liberal media lying to you for years before more mainstream conservative outlets picked it up. I think that distrust permeates every political decision. And to be fair, lots in politics has happened which warrants distrust- but it's not the basis of my political worldview. I can see a lot of value in conservative political thought in that way, as I think many of us do- but I see no value in voting for Trump. Actually thats not quite it- there's tons of negative value there, its not a neutral choice. Like you, I'm baffled by similar situations in my own life. 

Most people across the political spectrum think of themselves as good people who respect and help others. Obviously, when we look around the world, that's not how we all are even close to most of the time. The only way I can look on that disparity and not become distrustful myself is to appreciate how difficult true empathy is. I'm not sure there's any cosmic project us humans are supposed to be working on here, but if so, it's that. We all suffer from failure of empathetic imagination sometimes (to borrow a phrase from Dan Savage). It's there in a vote for Trump, unable to step into the shoes of someone who might illegally cross a border running scared. It's there in Derick's proselytizing, unable to see that the Nepalese and the Central Americans already have a religion they valued just as much as he does his. It's among all of us sometimes (when I lurked here, I was periodically frustrated by some non-American posters who could not fathom how Trump ended up in power- I think it's gotten somewhat better as we reflect on how many countries currently are having issues with racist reactions to Syrian refugees, have extremist factions, and have indeed elected fascist leaning idiots- it's a human thing not an American thing).

All this musing just to say- I'm with ya! What people value or claim to value and what they do doesn't always line up.

All this rhetoric  on immigration struggles has inspired me to research what I can do to assist a new to Canada family.  We are far from wealthy but I will gladly give up something if my few $ can make a difference. 

One unexpected bonus of joining fj is It is making me a better person.  I have been noticing this over the last few months.  Like WOW!   Wasn't expecting that!

love you guys!

My favorite kids cartoons that I'll still watch today even if I'm alone:

Arthur
Blues Clues
Cyberchase
Kim Possible
Maya & Miguel
Mr. Rogers Neighborhood
Rugrats
Spongebob Squarepants
WordGirl

My uncle is a registered Republican, a hardcore evangelical who is staunchly anti-abortion. He couldn't stand Hillary Clinton, but he also had major issues about Trump. He would've voted for Bernie Sanders in a heartbeat. In fact, leading up to the election, all he could talk about was "Bernie this, Bernie that, this evangelical was ready to go against party lines and feel the Bern."

Sometimes, I wax nostalgic that if Bernie could've swayed my hardcore Republican uncle, imagine what could've been had he gotten the Democratic nomination.

On a lighter subject, I have no kids, so this was my first introduction to Peppa Pig. And when it comes to whistling, Peppa takes no prisoners. CLICK!

4 hours ago, Meggo said:

y Uncle says Trump would be an awesome president if he'd just stop tweeting (while I admit it would be lovely if he just put down the damn phone - and is that thing secure? I don't think that would be the magic pill). They believe that there is a conspiracy against him. Despite my father working in federal criminal justice his entire career - and likely knowing people in the FBI & CIA - he thinks they're all corrupt because Fox told him they were. He believes it. And it ties in nicely with his deep deep hatred for Hillary - because she murdered people!

Sorry, this doesn't sound rational. 

6 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

My uncle is a registered Republican, a hardcore evangelical who is staunchly anti-abortion. He couldn't stand Hillary Clinton, but he also had major issues about Trump. He would've voted for Bernie Sanders in a heartbeat. In fact, leading up to the election, all he could talk about was "Bernie this, Bernie that, this evangelical was ready to go against party lines and feel the Bern."

Interesting...I voted for Bernie in the primary and am not a hardcore evangelical or anti-abortion. When he lost, which one was closer to him, Hillary or Trump? No matter, Trump was a non-starter to me, unfit for office, not a decent human being. 

1 hour ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

All this rhetoric  on immigration struggles has inspired me to research what I can do to assist a new to Canada family.  We are far from wealthy but I will gladly give up something if my few $ can make a difference. 

One unexpected bonus of joining fj is It is making me a better person.  I have been noticing this over the last few months.  Like WOW!   Wasn't expecting that!

love you guys!

That really made my day! Btw, I've been trying to convince my husband to move to Canada but he's dead set against it.

2 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

love you guys!

It's always worth seeing if there's any projects in your local area to help those new to the country to adjust and adapt. It must be really scary moving somewhere new from a different culture and speaking a different language where you also don't know anyone. So sometimes there's projects to help befriend refugees or teach English etc. Those can be great because it's less about giving money and more about giving time and that human connection. I know in the UK I enjoy donating blood because I'm a student with little spare money. Or volunteering in the local community etc. by donating my time and effort which I have quite a bit of.

When my nephew's were younger we would often find we were still watching kids shows after they had gone home or they would randomly come on because my oldest nephew had programmed the TV to change channel for them. I have occasionally watched Arthur or Mona the Vampire when nothing else has been on TV. 

A few people were telling Jill that the show wasn't Christian enough for her to expose her kids too. Each to their own, I do find Peppa bratty but it's hardly the worst thing in the world. I'm glad Jill is actually letting them watch kids shows since she rarely got to as a child.

My husband is a republican (though I’d argue a very liberal one; he was going to switch parties to vote for Bernie but forgot).  So then he didn’t either bc he hated HRC, and then there was T so he didn’t vote for either.  

Thats one part I think that maybe played against Bernie - I know of two OTHER people who were pro Bernie but couldn’t vote for him in the primary and didn’t vote at all in the end. 

On 4/29/2018 at 1:56 PM, viii said:

I hate this, to be honest. I hate how anytime someone is brash, ignorant asshat, people always suggest mental illness. It's a real disservice to those who actually suffer from mental illness. People can be hateful assholes without mental illness being involved. I think Derrick is pissed about his lot in life, but I think his beliefs aren't that far from the rest of the Duggars, he just has a louder voice regarding it. 

My husband's psych  said something like "X problem? I can give pills. I can't fix asshole."

On 4/30/2018 at 1:34 PM, VelociRapture said:

I didn’t have much time, so I did the practice test for US citizenship - got a 90%. As for the UK citizenship test, I have never visited any part of the UK and I still got an 87.5%. Do you know how accurate the formats for these practice tests are? Does the actual UK test use multiple choice? Because having multiple choice for the UK test made it ridiculously easy. 

He’s the Patron Saint of Scotland (I believe.)

Wales! St Andrew is Scotland. I believe it is multiple choice.

23 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

snip

Babies aren't meant to be in the seat for hours on end. Jill's trick seems to encourage long use of the carseat which is dangerous in itself, but then add in an incorrect angle? Those Duggarlings are lucky to have made it to adulthood alive and well. 

Snipped your quote. This is important and Duggars really should know about it, but I doubt they will. There has been quite a bit of research done over the past few years that shows that babies should not spend more than 2 hours (I think it was) in a stretch in that style of infant seat. They can suffocate due to being curled up/wrong angle or just deprived of enough oxygen and it hampers correct spine growth.

We had one for our (now teenage) son years ago and I was guilty of letting him sleep in it or just taking it of the car and popping on the (correct and made to go with it JILL) stroller. It was super convenient. We live in a a really mild climate now and I don't trust myself to not fall into those habits so we opted this time to get one that stays in the car, but it is cool and turns to the side so putting the baby in should be easy.

I do not understand if Jill wants to have eleventy kids why she doesn't just invest in a light weight stroller? I think I said this once before, but honestly there are tons of strollers on the market in tons of price ranges, why didn't she just plan for a good one that is appropriate from birth (lie flat) and goes up from their. I am sure their are several light weight convenient options. Aside from the fact that its obvious Sam is big enough to sit in an umbrella stroller unaided by now.

Now that the Boy Scouts are no longer going to be called "Boy Scouts" how soon until Derwank rages on Twitter about it?

34 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Now that the Boy Scouts are no longer going to be called "Boy Scouts" how soon until Derwank rages on Twitter about it?

His brother works for them, which would shut a lot of people up, but probably not him.

16 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

His brother works for them, which would shut a lot of people up, but probably not him.

I’m not sure if he does anymore:

He may have just moved to another position within the Scouts, but he also may have left entirely. He hasn’t updated his LinkedIn yet, so I don’t know for sure.

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived