IGNORED

Joy and Austin 19: 273 Days After the Wedding Gideon Arrived

Coconut Flan

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say that I actually love the name. Gideon was on my list until my cousin and his wife "stole" it. It is a family name on my father's side of the family so I would pick it because of that and not the Bible. I also got nixed on Efrahim which my husband hated so there are few family names left beyond the standard Per and Markus from that family if I were to go that route with a hypothetical third child. 

2 minutes ago, Irene said:

What time is it now in Arkansa?

No idea but he was born on Friday the 23rd in the middle of the day so there is no getting around it. It’s ok, I’m at peace with it. Lol

4 minutes ago, Irene said:

What time is it now in Arkansa?

10:20 am Monday 26, February. We are in the Central Standard time zone.

What a cute baby! Also, related to the healthcare debate: if same sex marriage wasn't a thing when it was (my state legalized it before Obergefell), I would be dead or unable to work due to medical debt (you lose your law license if you are in waaaaay too much debt).

I have severe allergies and asthma. It rarely is a problem, so the medication is not very expensive normally. The problem is, I'm not entirely aware of what exactly all of my allergens ARE, and they can turn severe on a dime. I mean facial swelling, wheezing, anaphylaxis, horrific skin issues. Uninsured, an ambulance ride and EpiPen/emergency treatment would ruin and bankrupt me to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars. And that would be every time it happened! So I'd probably decide to take my own chances and risk my life and health.

I got married at 23, and at barely 25 my dad retired and so I didn't have that insurance any more. So I switched to my wife's insurance- I was studying for the bar exam and not yet working, so no insurance of my own. Made just too much for medical assistance.

Then one day I woke up with my face so swollen I could barely keep my eyes open and had no peripheral vision. It kept getting worse and spreading. Down. Towards my throat. I was so afraid. Which just sped the reaction along.

What was I supposed to do, get a better job in minutes? Pull thousands of dollars out of my ass? Force my 65 year old dad to keep working? Not be gay, so that alone, I could qualify for assistance?

I have been working but insurance isn't provided. So, without universal healthcare, insurance always has to be a huge consideration in my job search. And in the meantime, I can't leave my spouse, because now I make too much for medical assistance.

We love each other, but no lie, it's scary to think that you will die if you leave your spouse. I don't think it would ever happen, but if she were to turn abusive, or addicted, or cheat, I would have to stick it out and forgive, just to stay alive. When we discuss things or argue, I find myself backing down and giving in more, because that consideration of insurance is always in the back of my mind, subconsciously.

And this is with a pretty normal relationship! I can't imagine what people who depend on a spouse's insurance do if their spouse is unkind.

Without the right TO marry in the first place too, I don't know what would have happened insurance wise. I never did anything bad with my life to cause these allergies- I don't smoke, I get regular care, exercise, and try to eat healthy (although probably too many sweets). I'm not too fat. I don't do risky sports. Should I be trying to use self-control on my immune system? I don't think it would understand me.

Just now, SamiKatz said:

Poor Spurgeon still has the worst name in the whole family.  

I really don't think there's a way to ever outdo "Spurgeon" as far as awful names go. Jessa and Ben reached the summit of bad names with their first born (although they made a valiant effort with Wilberforce being Henry's middle name). 

Gideon really isn't bad - it seems to be popular amongst the conservative Christian crowd I've been around as an adult so I've gotten used to it. But poor Joy with a 10 pounder - I can feel the sciatica she must've suffered that last trimester! Uff! 

10 minutes ago, Ace3 said:

No idea but he was born on Friday the 23rd in the middle of the day so there is no getting around it. It’s ok, I’m at peace with it. Lol

8 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

10:20 am Monday 26, February. We are in the Central Standard time zone.

oK, so people have hold back the artickle, the reason was I saw on insta to duggarfam about one hour after t was menage it here, thats way a was wondering :)

7 minutes ago, Inis Mona said:

I figured they were having a boy because for some reason, I picture Joy having mostly boys. 

I agree, I can’t picture Joy with a baby girl, maybe because she’s such a tomboy. Odds are she’ll have a girl eventually, but I definitely see her having a whole pack of boys.

I've heard a lot worse names. Gideon actually seems to be relatively popular these days. I actually know two people from college who picked it. 

Maybe they named him after that Gideons organization? I can't think of what it is they do, but aren't they one of the uber fundie groups? 

Just now, TeaELSee said:

Neil Patrick Harrison and his husband David Burka have a son named Gideon, I kind of like the name.

Harper and Gideon, I forgot about him, they are all so cute. The kids and the dads.

So many boys! So that makes 3/3 Duggar daughters with male firstborns (and right now they only have boys), and 4/5 Duggar kids with firstborn boys. I'm excluding Jinger since she hasn't announced the sex.

I've known a few Gideons, all from fundie families. At least one of them is a liberal atheist now, though, so name isn't destiny. :pb_lol: I feel bad for the kids with super religious names, like Nephi, because then even if they leave their religion the name sticks with them unless they change it.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Gideon is a figure from the Old Testament. He was a military leader, judge, and prophet. As a leader of the Israelites, he won a victory over the Midianites despite being heavily outnumbered. 

More importantly though, he was the twin brother of Fabian Prewett and brother of Molly Prewett Weasley. He was killed with his twin by Death Eaters during a duel during Voldemort’s first rise to power. So I’m just going to pretend they named him for the Gideon in Harry Potter instead of the Gideon in the Bible. :pb_lol:

*writes down Gideon as a possible baby name for my future child, so I can pretend it’s a nice Jewish name but really it’s named after a Harry Potter character*

I need to make a list of all Harry Potter characters with Old Testament names. I also like the name Lily, and I could pretend my child is named after my grandmother’s sister instead of Harry’s mom. :pb_lol: 

9 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

So many boys! So that makes 3/3 Duggar daughters with male firstborns (and right now they only have boys), and 4/5 Duggar kids with firstborn boys. I'm excluding Jinger since she hasn't announced the sex.

I've known a few Gideons, all from fundie families. At least one of them is a liberal atheist now, though, so name isn't destiny. :pb_lol: I feel bad for the kids with super religious names, like Nephi, because then even if they leave their religion the name sticks with them unless they change it.

In our family of 18 cousins, 15 of us had boys born 1st and only 3 had a girl born 1st.  One of my Aunts had six kids five girls and one boy, and five of those kids had two kids and one had four. All 6 of them had 2 boys each, then the one child who had 4 had 2 girls. 15 of us have a boy and then a girl, the other three were girl, boy/boy (twins) girl, girl, boy and girl (my brother only has 1 kid)

I'm thinking she may have had a c-section. Reasons: 1.) an extremely large baby, which is her first, 2.) a conspicuously round head (I'm no expert on newborns, but don't they usually have at least a little cone-shape going on?), 3.) the photo of him in the crib, which means the birth was most likely not at home, 4.) the delay in announcing (which could just be to coincide with the season premiere, or it could mean she was in the hospital for a few days). 

Glad he's arrived safely and she didn't go way overdue! 

7 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

Joy stole my boy name :( 

I'm glad it's a boy, and that they're both doing well. 

Use it anyway! Gideon was on our (now useless) boy name list. Our current front runner for a girl is also a part of a Duggar daughter's name. Don't let them stop you!

I just realized that there are quite a few of you FJers that I really just don't fucking like. That's fine though - the majority of you are decent and kind people. 

I like the name Gideon, though not because of any particular Biblical connotations. Probably 95 percent of the characters in the Bible are problematic in some way, so if we stopped using Biblical names simply because of that, most of the names used in the Anglophone sphere would be gone (this is also why I don’t have a problem with the name Marcus Anthony). Once again, I don’t see the birth of a boy as being any better than a girl in this family. It’s not like these fundie brides are reproducing asexually. These boys will be tomorrow’s headships, thus ensuring that this subculture continues into the future.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Here’s the photos:

102240F2-EB20-40C1-A89D-EA04E10F7338.thumb.jpeg.16f99d2c1a7d4ba352587025c691ae6d.jpeg

Hide contents

819A8732-AD7C-4293-9C93-80480BE5576C.thumb.jpeg.ba628a7172b645ce8819f969fee4c811.jpeg

Fun fact - Gideon was born weighing twice what my daughter weighed at birth, but is only three inches longer. 

Congratulations to the parents. I hope they turn out to be far, far better parents to Gideon than their own parents were to them, but I’m not going to hold my breath on that. So I’ll just hope Gideon grows up reasonable happy and healthy and doesn’t require copious amounts of therapy.

And he was over two times bigger than my son when he came home. This kid is a moose! (albeit a cute moose)

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived