IGNORED

Dillards 50: The big 5-0!

samurai_sarah

I'm sure today's insta will be something like 'my husband sustained eye contact with our kid for over thirty seconds #besthubbyever #whydoesgodallowsuffering'

The bar just keeps getting lower, like we're playing the Number Limbo!

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Books, yay!

Most of my recommendations are children's books, but whatever. Someone already mentioned Eagle of the Ninth. Henry Treece's Viking Saga is along the same lines. Cynthia Harnett wrote great historical fiction for children, my favourite being The Woolpack. Another book I loved was The Witch of Blackbird Pond, about the settlements in New England, and touching on the Quakers' experience.

Another series I love is the Roman Mysteries by Caroline Lawrence. She is a classics professor so there is a lot of accurate historical detail, but done up in a fun detective series with four children as the main characters. And the great thing is that if you like them, there are 14 of them in the series!

dWRECK does one of the most typical parent activities ever and now he's the best? He probably stopped right after the video was taken. 

lmao. 

I think Jill is well aware that her husband is generally disliked by the public and is desperately trying to make him look like an amazing man.  Because of course, buying chocolate milk and playing with your kid negates the effects of bullying a transgendered teenager. :pb_rollseyes:

Or she’s desperately trying to convince herself that he’s great because she’s stuck with him for life.

I'm more wondering if Jill is having a faith crisis based on that book and what she said. She doesn't think broadly enough to care about anyone outside her circle so who does she know that's suffering or starting to lose their faith in God? And is this a book she chose or one Derick foisted on her for some reason? Could be reading too much into it but it seems nothing about those two is ever coincidence.

16 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

I'm more wondering if Jill is having a faith crisis based on that book and what she said. She doesn't think broadly enough to care about anyone outside her circle so who does she know that's suffering or starting to lose their faith in God? And is this a book she chose or one Derick foisted on her for some reason? Could be reading too much into it but it seems nothing about those two is ever coincidence.

Eh... everyone knows someone who's suffering. I mean... everyone suffers. She certainly knows suffering herself. And I'm sure she's known plenty of people who, at least in her own view, have lost faith in God. She may be struggling herself, or it could be as simple as gathering more information for their newfound student ministry.

31 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

it could be as simple as gathering more information for their newfound student ministry.

She's probably memorizing passages to quote at the heathens she deigns to speak to. 

I doubt some how that Jim Bob ever played with his kids (especially not the girls), so maybe to Jill, Dwreck is the best dad ever. Which is sad. I love how babies try to put everything into their mouths.

Are we still doing books? 

Remember Me is a hilarious book that makes me laugh out loud - Sophie KInsella 

The nanny diaries - brilliant book - horrid movie 

She may be planning on using it in her ministry to college students. College is a place where many people could potentially lose their faith since it provides many new experiences and ways of thinking. 

@WhoompThereItIs,  I first read Exodus in 6th grade, about 50 years ago.  That’s  a pretty impressionable age to be reading such a book!  I need to remind myself sometimes that not everybody  knows as much about the Holocaust or the founding of the state of Israel and I know there are some here who could put my paltry knowledge to shame.

I just noticed another thing that bothers be about these posts (apart from the obvious #bestpapaever and #besthubbyever): Most people would make a picture like this about the kids. Something along the lines of "Israel loves playing with his race cars, and little Sammy just loves everything his big brother does!" or whatever. But in Dillardland, it's all "Look! Derick does too help with the kids! #hesthebestfatherintheworldyouheathens"

14 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I just noticed another thing that bothers be about these posts (apart from the obvious #bestpapaever and #besthubbyever): Most people would make a picture like this about the kids. 

Yeah, it really suggests to me that Derick is just as insecure and testy as he seems, and Jill has to spend a lot of time tiptoeing around his ego and not getting "too distracted" with the kids. I imagine he's exhausting to live with.

So this is what D-wreck thinks of mental health. Lord help his children and his wife. Ugh. 

FAB28EA2-F3C9-4170-AC70-C43584881038.png

Well God provides mental health and Jesus protects from the flu, so I guess he's GOOD TO GO.

Dumbfuck.

This just popped up on my Facebook, it took me a minute to figure out why I recognized the original tweet. I'd say I hope Dwreck sees this but he'd probably just think this pastor is an ungodly disgrace and tweet something offensive at him.

27658117_1888657331168959_7413729561815182517_n.jpg

I just want to say that I finally just realized that #jesuslovesthemall has nothing to do with the mall. I thought Carlin or whoever was just trying to be cutesy. :wtf:

I blame the sleep deprivation I’m suffering at the hands of my tiny overlords. 

Ok so I'm gonna rant a little. 

The reason Derick's retweet pissed me off so much is because it's a similar sentiment to the one I grew up with and still deal with. Even though my parents have been beyond supportive (paying for therapy and medication, offering emotional support), they still quite often tell me to "trust the Lord". Even today, my father prayed with me that I would "remember to be grateful for all the times the Lord has seen me through" and that I would "trust God with my purpose". 

I know they mean it with all good intent, but I HATE hearing that. If my anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts could be fixed so easily ,I would have done it a long time ago. The first year of college I had a hard time and basically stopped functioning and started self-harming but I refused to go to the council center because I told myself "I'm not crazy". My parents saw it as "issue I'd soon get over". It took them awhile, and now they acknowledge, that I have a real problem. But the whole "trust God" think 10 times a week is very anxiety producing and upsetting. 

To be honest, I think part of the severe negative self-image and self-hatred I have for myself stems from church. I also feel like church shames you into compliance by telling you that you're a horrible person who deserves damnation (which doesn't feel like a choice of free will to me). Then they turn around a preach self-love and good image of oneself the next week...It doesn't make any sense to me. I feel quite uncomfortable and untrusting of church but I still feel like I have to go. I definitely don't feel like I can tell my family (or anyone) my true feelings as it would breed conflict and a desire to 'fix' my faith issues. And quite frankly, I don't trust myself or my discomfort. 

Now, I grew up in a much more liberal household and have had much more opportunities than what I think the Dillard children will have. So if I have this problem with my generally accepting parents, I really hope none of the Dillard children ever struggle with any mental illness because it will be hell for them and they will constantly be shamed and invalidated. 

Derick is in every sense of the word a f*ckwit. 

You are NOT a good father if the only time you interact with your children is for the camera and / or one short burst of time. 

Mental Health requires therapy and possible medication; not a look in the mirror.

He makes my blood boil.

Derick is still being an asshole. He ought to take a long look at himself! 

Most of the time, Jessa showcases her kids, and doesn't include herself or Ben. Jill's posts just seem awkward.

39 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Most of the time, Jessa showcases her kids, and doesn't include herself or Ben. Jill's posts just seem awkward.

and plus we don't need to see him anymore.  Ben I can't remember the last time he posted beside the one time he highjacked jessa's phone. 

9 hours ago, JillyO said:

I just noticed another thing that bothers be about these posts (apart from the obvious #bestpapaever and #besthubbyever): Most people would make a picture like this about the kids. Something along the lines of "Israel loves playing with his race cars, and little Sammy just loves everything his big brother does!" or whatever. But in Dillardland, it's all "Look! Derick does too help with the kids! #hesthebestfatherintheworldyouheathens"

YEAH, wow! I didn't even realize that until you pointed it out, but it explains so much about the weird vibes emanating from Jill's posts about Derick and the kids.  It's always about proving he actually parents, but I don't know, the #bestpapaever footage she shows of him doesn't nearly live up to the hype she gives it. If this is Derick's most involved moments... well then damn, he's not kidding about the babysitting thing, and I could babysit better than that at 9. I think her captions really end up looking like overcompensation for just how emotionally detached he seems in pretty much all of the videos, but maybe that's just me venturing into BEC territory. It's just so consistent, like she's distracted by the idea that he's not the "best" father rather than focusing on how much fun her kids may or may not be having.

P.S. I'm waiting for the day Jill mistypes the hashtag and ends up with #bestpapever :pb_lol:

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived