IGNORED

Dillards 50: The big 5-0!

samurai_sarah

7 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

This just popped up on my Facebook, it took me a minute to figure out why I recognized the original tweet. I'd say I hope Dwreck sees this but he'd probably just think this pastor is an ungodly disgrace and tweet something offensive at him.

27658117_1888657331168959_7413729561815182517_n.jpg

I'm glad this pastor spoke out! I would be dead if I didn't have my medication for depression. Yes, I am a Christian as well, but I don't believe Jesus will magically cure all illnesses. Derick is the biggest, most ignorant dimwit I've ever seen. 

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems beyond hypocritical for fundies to trust health professionals with cancer but not depression or other mental illness. What's so different about it that they can't believe God invented psychology to heal mental health issues but can believe god invented medicine to heal physical illness? Awful for anyone to feel stigmatized from getting professional help. Worse to be taught you're facing damnation because of a lack of faith too.

I'm all for prayer...along WITH medication, therapy, etc. I mean, personally, it helps...especially now that I don't have insurance and therefore, no meds. However, I do a lot more self-care these days than I used to...instead of being the hamster on the wheel trying to do for others, I do for ME now too. I work out (well, there are days when the best I can do is a little swimming and a nice soak in the spa), I started drawing and painting again (I suck at it, but hey...it's for me). I am fortunate to have a husband who understands and will help me do whatever it takes to not decide to take a leap off our balcony or go run in front of some unsuspecting truck out on the freeway. 

Thank you so much Dr. Dillweed for your expert medical opinion on mental health.

oh, wait? you aren't a doctor? you are just a 20-something, deadbeat with a twitter account who gets off on judging and talking down to others? then why don't you go f*** yourself instead of giving unsolicited advice online; it may make you a nicer person at least.

Edit: Can't make my post sound right - so I'll just go with the blanket response.

Fuck off, dWRECK. 

8 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I'm all for prayer...along WITH medication, therapy, etc. I mean, personally, it helps...especially now that I don't have insurance and therefore, no meds. However, I do a lot more self-care these days than I used to...instead of being the hamster on the wheel trying to do for others, I do for ME now too. I work out (well, there are days when the best I can do is a little swimming and a nice soak in the spa), I started drawing and painting again (I suck at it, but hey...it's for me). I am fortunate to have a husband who understands and will help me do whatever it takes to not decide to take a leap off our balcony or go run in front of some unsuspecting truck out on the freeway. 

I always tell people prayer never hurt anyone so don't be a dick about it. But don't be a dick about it by saying ONLY prayer will help too.  It is so frustrating that here in the US health care is seen as a privilege for the wealthy and mental health care is nonexistent because their is no money in it.

There's a difference between adding prayer to a regimen set out by a Mental Health Professional, and choosing to ignore that there may be issues because Jesus. Fuck you Derick, it's a lot more complicated then you think.  

Oh, I'm sorry Derick. Did I miss how your mother relied purely on prayer when she almost died of cancer? Cause I sure seem to remember her relying on doctors and treatments.

FUCKWIT.

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I always tell people prayer never hurt anyone so don't be a dick about it. But don't be a dick about it by saying ONLY prayer will help too.  It is so frustrating that here in the US health care is seen as a privilege for the wealthy and mental health care is nonexistent because their is no money in it.

I'm not a dick about it...

The biggest prayer-spazz was when my husband had a total pancreatectomy (pancreas, gall bladder, appendix, parts of his small intestine and stomach were removed, various biopsies)...I was sitting in my truck in the parking garage, shaking, crying, praying and puking. HOWEVER, prayer alone was NOT going to cure him...an incredible medical team was a HUGE part of it...but hey, a little prayer couldn't hurt. I prayed for the doctors to have steady hands, LONG attention spans and wisdom (it's a 12-14 hour surgery). The doctors didn't have a problem with it...my husband didn't have a problem with it, and well...seeing as how there was nothing else I could do, it helped me. I'm thrilled to say the surgery was a success and now 5 years later, he's doing great. BUT...I damn sure knew that prayer alone was NOT going to help. 

Dang Derick, it's almost like the brain is an organ or something. An incredibly complex one that can get sick, malfunction, and have symptoms present themselves in different ways than other parts of the body. When the organ that controls your thoughts and behavior malfunctions, it's almost like the symptoms will manifest in thoughts and behavior. We're just blobs of gray mush piloting meat-covered skeletons on a weird rock hurtling through space. Sometimes the systems don't work perfectly.

I'll say it once, I'll say it again. If you cannot produce your own neurotransmitters, store bought is fine.

Fuck off Derick. You don't know shit about shit.

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

I'm not a dick about it...

The biggest prayer-spazz was when my husband had a total pancreatectomy (pancreas, gall bladder, appendix, parts of his small intestine and stomach were removed, various biopsies)...I was sitting in my truck in the parking garage, shaking, crying, praying and puking. HOWEVER, prayer alone was NOT going to cure him...an incredible medical team was a HUGE part of it...but hey, a little prayer couldn't hurt. I prayed for the doctors to have steady hands, LONG attention spans and wisdom (it's a 12-14 hour surgery). The doctors didn't have a problem with it...my husband didn't have a problem with it, and well...seeing as how there was nothing else I could do, it helped me. I'm thrilled to say the surgery was a success and now 5 years later, he's doing great. BUT...I damn sure knew that prayer alone was NOT going to help. 

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were, that is just something I say to ANYONE (again not talking about you here at all) who complain about people saying things like "I'll pray for you", by saying prayer doesn't help, I will tell them prayer doesn't hurt anyone. 

I will add the "don't be a dick about it" to people who say "you just need to pray about it" Like ok fine, but that isn't going to help with out medical intervention as well, so don't tell me to JUST pray about it.  I hope this makes sense.

I'm glad to hear you DH is doing better, that sounds HORRIBLE.

I use "I'll pray for you and your family" or "You are all in my thoughts and prayers" when something goes wrong. Because the people are. Sure, if the person is atheist, I will say something like "I'm sending good thoughts" but I still mean prayers. To me it's just an acknowledgment that I as a person can't do anything, but I can call upon the universe to put in a good word. It's not the solution but it makes me feel better knowing that I'm helpless. If I can help, I will. 

During a family emergency, I was sitting in complete shock with my parents and the priest who baptized me. We had just prayed and I was nervously jittering around the family waiting room. The tv was on in the background and the baseball game that my brother was watching before he became ill was on. He was cheering for the Tampa Bay Rays, so hearing the Rangers score hurt me because everything was going wrong. So I stood and walked to the door and cursed a blue streak on top of the Rangers. Fuck on top of them, curse of Jesus, I hate them. My Dad was in shock and the priest...he laughed. He stood, patted me on the shoulder, and said that God had more important things on his mind then the baseball game. It was exactly what I needed to hear. 

Just now, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were, that is just something I say to ANYONE (again not talking about you here at all) who complain about people saying things like "I'll pray for you", by saying prayer doesn't help, I will tell them prayer doesn't hurt anyone. 

I will add the "don't be a dick about it" to people who say "you just need to pray about it" Like ok fine, but that isn't going to help with out medical intervention as well, so don't tell me to JUST pray about it.  I hope this makes sense.

I'm glad to hear you DH is doing better, that sounds HORRIBLE.

I didn't take it personally...just currently wrestling with a bunch of shit. DH started on an insulin pump yesterday (aftereffect of pancreas removal is brittle diabetes) and that's a bitch to get used to...scheduled the nerve ablation procedure for myself, sick of being in pain from that fucking car accident 10 months ago, the damn drugs don't do anything to help. 

"you just need to pray about it" is great for making decisions...like jobs, etc. but when it comes to things like medical issues of any sort, get thee to a professional pronto! Praying about my back, neck, etc. isn't going to do a damn bit of good without medical intervention, same as DH's. Only with him, I do believe in some divine intervention. He got sick when we were living in Virginia, and all the "experts" there basically said there's nothing we can do for you. Shortly after my mother died, we moved to Phoenix AZ and found the medical team that COULD help him just down I-10 in Tucson. Then we moved here to LV and things went to shit for awhile but there were many silver linings...like him being able to get into the VA for his healthcare (we were low priority for awhile because we made too much money, but the minute we qualified for HUD-VASH he went to a priority 1 vet). The VA has taken over his healthcare and I'm beyond thankful that everyone's tax dollars (including ours) have helped to pay for a 10K insulin pump...

I believe there's reasons for everything and I believe in divine intervention...(no rotten tomatoes please)...and am beyond thankful for both the bad and the good...without the bad, you just don't appreciate the good nearly as much. 

14 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I use "I'll pray for you and your family" or "You are all in my thoughts and prayers" when something goes wrong. Because the people are. Sure, if the person is atheist, I will say something like "I'm sending good thoughts" but I still mean prayers. To me it's just an acknowledgment that I as a person can't do anything, but I can call upon the universe to put in a good word. It's not the solution but it makes me feel better knowing that I'm helpless. If I can help, I will. 

Agnostic Jew chiming in - when someone whom I know to be religious/believing tells me that they pray for me when I am in a truly difficult situation or facing some disheartening challenges, I always appreciate it and feel strangely moved. I know that these people mean what they say, and it touches me that someone thinks of me enough to include me in their prayers.

My sister, who considers herself an atheist, was diagnosed with leukaemia in late December last year. She told me that it always moves her to tears when someone tells her that they pray for her.

So long story short, even many people who don't consider themselves religious or even believe in anything supernatural will appreciate a genuine "I'll pray for you".

What I do not appreciate: Religious people telling me they pray for me because I don't believe enough or the right thing/don't live according to their rules/etc. :pb_rollseyes:

4 hours ago, artdecades said:

this may be a BEC thing but even that reads as smug and rude to me.

Same. Just another case of him adding Jesus to everything. 

Jill may not post about cute things the kids did because she grew up in a parent focused world where it’s all about praising parents for the number kids they have or the kids being well behaved. The only time the kids are praised is if they save their first kiss for marriage and, even then, it’s more about the parents raising Godly children. Jill didn’t grow up on a world where kids are praised for individual pursuits like academics or sports. If anything, all the kids are lumped into one bunch. She praised Derrick as a father the way Michelle praised Jim Bob. Yet, Jim Bob constantly praises Michelle and speaks about her with pride but I never see Derrick talk about Jill in the same way. 

Jim Bob also calls Michelle "Mama" in the skeeviest way possible. She's his WIFE not his mother.

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

Jim Bob also calls Michelle "Mama" in the skeeviest way possible. She's his WIFE not his mother.

Ick I know I hate that. I refer to my husband as daddy to our son. Like, "Daddy is home!" Or "let's ask daddy to read to you." but if I'm talking to him I call him by his name because he's my husband, not my father. 

My sister and her husband have always referred to each other by their names in front of their daughter (whose 2) but the other day when my niece wanted something she was like, "Dad... Dad?" and getting no answer, upped it by shouting, "MIKE... MICHAEL!!" 

If I didn't know better I'd say Jill was trolling us with the #bestpapa thing now... Also curious if Izzy actually watches Paw Patrol or if they just thought "Oh look a cute dog helmet."

Oh and Sam is 7 months young.

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived