IGNORED

Dillards 50: The big 5-0!

samurai_sarah

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Years ago, I heard about this book "Kathryn in the Court of Six Queens". Its about Kathryn, a fictional character with a blood link to the Plantagenets, who is taken to court as a young child and eventually becomes a lady in waiting to all six queens whom she gets to know personally. Even with the author's fictional take on each queen (Anne of Cleves a lesbian!), it is written so believably, much more that PG's books. There are touches of humor and of course romance with the Kathryn and a mysterious man of dubious parentage. Its a fun read. 

Can anyone give me recommendations for historical fiction that does not deal with the Tudor/War of the Roses era? I love historical fiction but the vast majority of the ones I read are from that era and am looking for something different. I remember reading a really good one about Helen of Troy but can’t remember the author. 

6 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

Can anyone give me recommendations for historical fiction that does not deal with the Tudor/War of the Roses era? I love historical fiction but the vast majority of the ones I read are from that era and am looking for something different. I remember reading a really good one about Helen of Troy but can’t remember the author. 

Depends on what kind of historical fiction you like (i.e. romance, military, murder mystery, etc.) but my #1 recommendation for non-Tudor/Wars of the Roses historical fiction would probably be The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff. It's a young adult book written in the 1950s and it's set in Roman Britain. And it's really, really good. She wrote a whole bunch of other books, too, I believe mostly set in Roman or sub-Roman Britain, including a trilogy (I think) about King Arthur. I haven't gotten around to reading them yet, but they're all on my list. I didn't read The Eagle of the Ninth until I was an adult, but when I did it immediately became one of my all-time favourite books.

3 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

Mary Renault is pretty prolific, and her novels are about ancient Greece

Winged pharaoh by  Joan Grant.A very trippy book about an Egyptian Princess and Pharaoh.  

Wikipedia:

The story is narrated by Sekhet-a-Ra, familiarly known as Sekeeta. Most of the story takes place in the city of 'Me'n-atetiss', Memphis, Egypt, founded by Sekeeta's ancestor 'Meniss' (Menes). In the course of the narrative she becomes co-Pharaoh with her brother Neyah during the First Dynasty of Ancient Egypt. The narrative follows her life and training in the arts of war, statecraft, and metaphysics. All members of the royal family are routinely trained in the use of extrasensory abilities and taught a doctrine of esoteric discipline, reincarnation and karma.

Wonderful unique book I recommend very much! 

35 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

I really liked Katherine by Anya Seton- it features John of Gaunt and his long-term mistress and thurd wife Katherine but it's really set before the Wars of the Roses and it's interesting because it offers some (fictional) background into how his descendants were barred from inheriting the throne and whatnot (we all see how that worked out). I think I got in Kindle Unlimited awhile back! I know it's still a little bit Wars of the Roses but if you like that era then I think you'll like a little bit about the years that predate it. :) 

I am currently reading "The Taster" by VS Alexander. Its about a German women in WWII who becomes one of Hitler's food tasters. I also like the work of Pam Jenoff (who does a lot of WWII fiction). 

Margaret George also writes historical fiction "Memoirs of Cleopatra" , "Helen of Troy" and others 

Renee Rosen writes a lot of historical fiction about Chicago. "What the Lady Wants" is about Marshall Field and his second wife. Melanie Benjamin is also another top bestseller. 

I work at a library so I see what is popular and I read tons of historical fiction, rarely reading contemporary. So it does depend what era and if you lean romantic or not. 

I do want to add that I'm not sure when my title or whatever changed but it's oddly fitting that Satan is my Facebook Friend when I look at my avatar and it's a picture of my all-black cat with scary reflection-eyes. :lol:

2 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveria is a great book about a woman during the Civil War era and the war itself who wanted to be a doctor. 

The Lake House by Kate Morton is a mix of WWI-1920's and modern times. A modern police woman in England attempts to solve a local mystery in Cornwall. It's told in flash backs. Actually Kate Morton does a lot of fiction like this. So anything Kate Morton but The Lake House is my favourite. 

The Elizabeth Chadwick Eleanor of Aquataine novels mentioned before. The Summer Queen, The Winter Crown, and the Autumn throne!

Ken Folletts Century Trilogy (The Fall of Giants, The Edge of Eternity, and The Winter of the World) tell the story of interconnected English, Russian, and American families through a century of change. 

The Royal Nanny by Karen Harper. A novel about Charlotte "Lala" Bill, the Nanny of Edward VIII, George VI, and their siblings. 

Victoria by Daisy Goodwin! About Queen Victoria! 

I liked them all! Do you think I read Historical Fiction? :P 

Princesses: The Six Daughters of George III by Flora Fraser

Jennie the Life of Lady of Randolph Churchill by Ralph G Martin is The bio of Winston Churchill’s American Socialite mother.  

Jane Austin’s England by Roy and Leslie Adkins   Concerning every aspect of Life in the Regency and Georgian  period 

The Year 1000: What Life Was Like at the Turn of the First Millennium - An Englishman's World by Danny Danziger and Robert

2 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

There is always the Outlander Series about The Jacobite uprising and the American civil war. And some historical fiction but mostly cuz its a good book series, The All Souls Trilogy, 1st book is A Discovery of Witches, about an American witch of great breeding who in 1 of the books 'time walks' back to 16th century England.

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I am currently reading "The Taster" by VS Alexander. Its about a German women in WWII who becomes one of Hitler's food tasters. I also like the work of Pam Jenoff (who does a lot of WWII fiction). 

Margaret George also writes historical fiction "Memoirs of Cleopatra" , "Helen of Troy" and others 

Renee Rosen writes a lot of historical fiction about Chicago. "What the Lady Wants" is about Marshall Field and his second wife. Melanie Benjamin is also another top bestseller. 

I work at a library so I see what is popular and I read tons of historical fiction, rarely reading contemporary, but like someone posted, it depends what era you are interested in. 

Kate Alcott wrote a fantastic book about the Titanic, the Dressmaker. Its not your usual long winded romance.... it deals with the aftermath, the trials.... who was responsible. There are two female leads, one is an assistant to real life Titanic survivor, Lucy Duff-Gordon the other is a female reporter trying to make it in a "man's" profession. Kate also has written The Darling Ladies of Lowell which is about young girls and women who work in a textile mill in the 1800s 

One book that I would recommend to just about everyone at the library was "1000 White Women: the Journals of Molly Dodd" by Jim Fergus. Its a "what if" on the US after the civil war. Based on a true story at the time the was never acted upon, its about a group of White Women exchanged for horses with the Native Americans. They would be assimilated into white society by marrying the women and the US would hopefully have an end to the "Indian Wars". Not many "decent women" apply. The ones who do are an interesting mix.... two murderous Irish twins, a British wildlife sketcher, a  Swedish mail order bride left at the altar after the groom to be got one look at her, a former slave..... and our protagonist, Molly, who grew up well of but ended up in an insane asylum because she committed the sin of living and having children with a poor man without the benefit of marriage. 

@Carm_88 said: I tried SO hard to read that book. I worked on it and every single time I did, my eyes crossed and I started to fall asleep. Maybe I'll try again when the hours of sunshine are longer but damn. 

I missed this on the last thread, but the same thing is happening to me. I just can't get into it. Waiting until summer solstice when it's light until 10pm sounds like a good idea. 

I basically gave up and started reading Blood Sisters: The Women Behind the Wars of the Roses. It's less dry.

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

The Lake House by Kate Morton is a mix of WWI-1920's and modern times. A modern police woman in England attempts to solve a local mystery in Cornwall. It's told in flash backs. Actually Kate Morton does a lot of fiction like this. So anything Kate Morton but The Lake House is my favourite. 

I looove Kate Morton! I have all her books and have read each several times.

5 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

I highly recommend Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar.  It's in the form of a letter Hadrian writes his cousin in which he recounts his life, his military battles, music, architecture, art, and his love for his lover Antinous. Beautiful book and I think I'll reread it.

I love Elizabeth Bard, Sophie Kinsella, Elin Hildebrandt and am currently reading Mary Kay Andrews she writes about Savannah, Georgia, Hildebrandt about Nantucket, Bard about France and Sophie about London. :D

5 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

Oh. I am SO glad you asked. I beseech anyone interested in historical fiction to read The Morland Dynasty series by the English author, Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. It is set in York, England and the first book, The Founding, does take place during the War of the Roses.  But, if you enjoy it, and I promise you will, there are (I think) 34 more books(!), taking us to the time of the Great Depression.  Each book is a healthy length and the writing is, in my opinion, absolutely exquisite.  She will make you laugh and she will make you cry. The monarchs do make appearances throughout, but more as auxiliary characters.  They are by no means central to the plots although they obviously impact the family and the times in which they live.

My Mum and I read, and I have, the entire series. They are incredible.  I really, really, really want someone here to read them!  The downside is we may not see you on FJ for a while. 

I loved the Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman.  It is novel about Richard III, it's written from a very pro-Ricardian slant.

46 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

Oh. I am SO glad you asked. I beseech anyone interested in historical fiction to read The Morland Dynasty series by the English author, Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. It is set in York, England and the first book, The Founding, does take place during the War of the Roses.  But, if you enjoy it, and I promise you will, there are (I think) 34 more books(!), taking us to the time of the Great Depression.  Each book is a healthy length and the writing is, in my opinion, absolutely exquisite.  She will make you laugh and she will make you cry. The monarchs do make appearances throughout, but more as auxiliary characters.  They are by no means central to the plots although they obviously impact the family and the times in which they live.

My Mum and I read, and I have, the entire series. They are incredible.  I really, really, really want someone here to read them!  The downside is we may not see you on FJ for a while. 

I second these books. CHE has put a lot of research into each book. They are heavy on strong female characters, working women,  even though they can be highly placed in society most of them run the family estates or have intellectual pursuits outside of their sphere in society.

Sadly my copy of The Restless Sea (covering 1912-Aug 1914) is currently residing at the bottom of a lake. I must admit it's not he only one I'm missing since I've re-read them so many times that several of the books have fallen apart and I'm having to wait for Amazon to re-stock them.

It IS frustrating trying to replace the mangled ones, I agree. I have one that doesn’t match the others and, honestly, it drives me nuts.  I’m so happy to know of another FJer who has read and loved them. I think many others would enjoy them a great deal. They are well suited to the mentality of our membership, in my opinion.  

Has anyone read any of Bernard Cornwell's novels? I've been thinking about checking them out, but I'd love to know what others who've read any of them thought of them.

+eleventy on the Outlander series. Also, Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth series.

Also:  making note of many of these books for future reference.

Thank Rufus the library is walking distance for me. I'm going tomorrow with a list of books from this thread. Thanks so much! 

I've gone back to work recently from a medical leave and still can't drive. Reading books and FJ are my favorite things. 

I like to find podcasts to listen to at work and queue up Netflix, etc. for days I can't concentrate on a book. 

9 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

If you'd like a whole different 'realm' entirely, I liked Indu Sundaresan's books on the Mughal Empire - The Twentieth Wife, Feast of Roses, and Splendor of Silence (though I preferred them in audio, which isn't usually the case with me).  

Just for kicks much more recently read Beneath a Marble Sky (John Shors) which was much lighter by comparison and also an interesting read.

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived