IGNORED

Maxwell 17: Life After John Left

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

Did she ever dye her hair?  In the video the last few inches look darker like they were dyed?

I don't think so.  That's just how hair looks when women keep their hair grey without cutting the old hair on the bottom off. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

Well she also says you need to be home all the time. They don’t seem to like talking to anyone in the real world or something. 

They can use computers at home they have them. Even the duggars use the computer for classes.

I went down a Tits2 rabbit hole that led me to the Moody books, and noticed this description of the Moody/Maxwell Family which I don’t recall reading before.

Given that we KNOW the Moodys are the Maxwells (nothing has ever happened to them that hasn’t happened in Maxhell), the arrogance of the second paragraph is phenomenal.

A3355EEC-ABD1-4672-8173-693605ED6A42.png

14 hours ago, theologygeek said:

This is 18 years ago.  It just burns me up.  Teri is loading boxes with a bad back.  But she didn't have a job???  Come on now.  At least be honest and admit that she was a working mother who had a real job and made real money.  https://web.archive.org/web/20000815220838/http://titus2.com:80/m-photo5.htm 

Holy smokes! A blast from the past. I used to post and read on the MOMSboard linked there. I didn't see anything i posted on the one page that is archived though. 

But yes, you are 100% correct. And even back then a friend and I talked about all those homeschooling mom who were speakers, authors, etc telling the rest of us to stay home and trust God to provide through our husbands. 

4 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

But yes, you are 100% correct. And even back then a friend and I talked about all those homeschooling mom who were speakers, authors, etc telling the rest of us to stay home and trust God to provide through our husbands. 

I recall reading a homeschooling board made up of very conservative women (it was called something like classical homeschooling) and even some of them thought the Maxwells were being hypocritical advocating Moms staying home when Teri so obviously worked and brought in income.

Editing to add the link.  It's from the Well Trained Mind.  It's an older thread but some members updated it in 2014. 

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/150618-i-went-to-a-steve-teri-maxwell-workshop-last-night/page-2?hl=%2Bteri+%2Bmaxwell#entry5811145

I'm late to the party re Sarah's chances of marriage - but my take on it is that Steve has such high standards for any man who might express interest - it would be nearly impossible to satisfy his expectations.  If he could clone himself (ugh) he probably would.  He disgusts me so much.

I was looking at the reviews over at Amazon for some of the Moody books and the few negative reviews really hit the nail on the head.  One remarked how what a jerk that father sounded like, and how boring the books actually were.  The reviewer may or may not realize is that this is literally a window into the Maxhellion lifestyle - what else could Sarah write about except her own life?  Those books really are an eye opener as to how bad things really are for them. 

"Teri’s experienced what it’s like to home school multiple grades, manage babies and toddlers, and still keep the house in order. Those days weren’t easy, but the Lord gave her grace and creativity to fit in what she needed to do."  

Sarah shouldn't give credit to Teri for doing the things that most likely Sarah had to do the lion's share of.

12 hours ago, lilith said:

I went down a Tits2 rabbit hole that led me to the Moody books, and noticed this description of the Moody/Maxwell Family which I don’t recall reading before.

Given that we KNOW the Moodys are the Maxwells (nothing has ever happened to them that hasn’t happened in Maxhell), the arrogance of the second paragraph is phenomenal.

A3355EEC-ABD1-4672-8173-693605ED6A42.png

The Moody books remind me of a similar series I had when I was a little fundie kid. Pete and Penny <do something alliterative, like Play and Pray> Those kids were so impossibly pious that i knew I could never be as good a Christian as they were, and they were so insufferable toward their friends and neighbors that I didn't even want to be a good Christian. Thus was the beginning of my agnosticism.

I can easily see kids having the same reaction to the Moody books.

5 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

The Moody books remind me of a similar series I had when I was a little fundie kid. Pete and Penny <do something alliterative, like Play and Pray> Those kids were so impossibly pious that i knew I could never be as good a Christian as they were, and they were so insufferable toward their friends and neighbors that I didn't even want to be a good Christian. Thus was the beginning of my agnosticism.

I can easily see kids having the same reaction to the Moody books.

I don't know that series, but it makes me think of Elsie Dinsmore. Talk about insufferable and pious! 

I think the whole point of the Moody series was so their followers could have books to read to their kids and have the characters be what the kids want to be like. 

I don't know that series, but it makes me think of Elsie Dinsmore. Talk about insufferable and pious! 

Don’t get me started on that BS. So,so many problems and red flags and my mom and I gobbled them up and didn’t see a single one.

3 hours ago, Bajovane said:

I'm late to the party re Sarah's chances of marriage - but my take on it is that Steve has such high standards for any man who might express interest - it would be nearly impossible to satisfy his expectations.  If he could clone himself (ugh) he probably would.  He disgusts me so much.

I was looking at the reviews over at Amazon for some of the Moody books and the few negative reviews really hit the nail on the head.  One remarked how what a jerk that father sounded like, and how boring the books actually were.  The reviewer may or may not realize is that this is literally a window into the Maxhellion lifestyle - what else could Sarah write about except her own life?  Those books really are an eye opener as to how bad things really are for them. 

You have been around long enough to know a lot of those are us, right?

On 21/01/2018 at 3:12 PM, Odd1Out said:

Pure speculation on my part but I don’t think Sarah really minds the not having children part. Maybe somewhat, but not enough to beg Steve to find her a husband. I think she might like to be married, but I’ve never got the feeling from her blogging that she wants to be a mom. She already raised younger siblings. And I get a strong feeling ( just a hunch, I can no way tell you exactly why) that she has some form of depression like Teri. 

She always writes about Anna and Mary babysitting the nieces and nephews, taking them on walks, coming up with crafts etc. it’s never Sarah’s ideas to do these things. She’s always off to the side taking pictures. 

I agree that Sarah is probably depressed but it's so normal for her she doesn't realise. I would suspect there's part of her is relieved about not having kids - after all she saw how it affected Teri, and she did a lot of the work associated wth young children. She probably also feels guilty about that though, because isn't she supposed to want children? I hope she finds someone who can bluff Steve enough to let her go, but who loves and treasures her and lets her bloom.

4 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I think the whole point of the Moody series was so their followers could have books to read to their kids and have the characters be what the kids want to be like. they want their kids to be like. 

FIFY

I just read the latest Mom's corner about bossy and controlling daughters, Poor Sarah, since she was a miniMom for a long time I think that this essay is about her.

7 minutes ago, Lillybee said:

I just read the latest Mom's corner about bossy and controlling daughters, Poor Sarah, since she was a miniMom for a long time I think that this essay is about her.

I am not 100% convinced Sarah is not WRITING this stuff now.

27 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I am not 100% convinced Sarah is not WRITING this stuff now.

Didn't they say at one point that she was? At one of their conferences, maybe? 

I don't remember any families like the Moodys (or Maxwells) in the Bible!

On 23/01/2018 at 9:08 AM, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Never will this book be allowed!!!  There is drinking, sex, etc. I've read it. It IS wonderful. It won't happen in Maxhell though

Yeah I've read it and the sequel.  Poor Sarah never will.

Random thing: Saw a book on a chair in my house.  The title was "Sweet Relationships" and I immediately thought of the Maxwells.  Then I saw the author was Teri :P

1 hour ago, Lillybee said:

Also notice how the rant article also picks out the third son, judging how smug Joe often comes across this must be aimed at him too.

If I remember Poor Sarah was noted as being bossy to the reversals at the conference that FJ’s attended.

Mom or Dad forgot something.” I think who ever wrote this needs some time in the prayer closet - how dare the helpmeets name be first.

9 minutes ago, CyborgKin said:

I don't remember any families like the Moodys (or Maxwells) in the Bible!

The families in the Bible are pretty dysfunctional. Brothers killing brothers... Brothers selling another brother into slavery... Men having babies with their female slaves... Solomon and his eleventy hundred wives and concubines...

11 minutes ago, johnhugh said:

If I remember Poor Sarah was noted as being bossy to the reversals at the conference that FJ’s attended.

She bossed the *girls,* who IIRC were dawdling behind the sales table when they should’ve been heading backstage, so that the event  could start precisely on time. I did not see her boss the pianist-holders. 

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

Didn't they say at one point that she was? At one of their conferences, maybe? 

I am vaguely recalling something like that - wasn't it something along the lines of "helping" Teri?

This is amazing and follows my instinct that they are not at all isolationists. And never have been.

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

I know this is a really "old" post, but I feel it is worth an udpate seeing how the Maxwell family still has conferences and I know people are doing research before attending and coming across this board.

We first heard of them almost 3 years ago. We were at a homeschool conference and our 9yr old daughter at that time saw a book with a golden retriever on the cover at a vendor's booth. We had recently moved and left a beloved golden retriever behind so she was particularly attracted to it. After a quick scan, we bought it for her. This was the first in the series of the Moody books. She really enjoyed the book and when we heard they would be in a nearby town doing a conference, we went (the conference was near the end of 2012).

We enjoyed the conference very much, finding it both challenging and encouraging. Seeing their family interaction, and actually speaking with them all was such a blessing for us. A little over a year later we went to another one of their conferences.

They get many, many emails from people who are heart-broken over their relationship with a spouse and/or their children. We could see how the Maxwell's genuinely care for these families and ours and desire to help spare people from that and help people change course who are in that situation or heading down that path.

It seemed very clear to us they were not preaching a thou-shalt message, but sharing from their heart and pleading for us to consider it well. We did not feel any judgmental type of attitude coming from them. Just a desire to share their experience and knowledge and encourage us to consider and live intentionally and with purpse in what we choose to do (I do believe they share it strongly, but because they believe so strongly about it and care about people so much).

A couple of months ago we went and spent a weekend in their home. 6 kids are still living there, the others live very close by. We went to church with them as well, in the assisted living facility. There were at least 8 families there in addition to all the residents. They spent a lot of time visiting with the elderly before and after the service. It is truly a ministry opportunity for them. There are no expenses so they do not take any collection. Instead they encourage everyone to support other missionaries, Gospel for Asia, the needy around them, and so on. This is especially neat to me, as they could certainly justify collecting for their sound equipment, the preaching of the word, and the music ministers. But, it's beautiful that it is just their way of ministering as a family and freeing up all those funds to go out into other areas of ministry.

During our stay with them we did some work together, ate many meals together, talked and shared many things together, went to church together, ministered together, and their kids even played games with our kids

They are very evangelistic. They minister in many ways to their neighbors and people they meet in public at grocery stores and such.

Their children have many skills, and are extremely talented in many things, from construction, to music, to computers, to cooking...and it is not like certain skill set for the boys and certain skill set for the girls...they were all doing it all.

I understand some people just don't get them and their views. I understand people's concerns. I realize their message can be seen as judgmental and extreme. However, our experience is such that we greatly value and appreciate their ministry and we have some pretty close and recent first-hand experience to say their family has made some decisions that are worth considering.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/150618-i-went-to-a-steve-teri-maxwell-workshop-last-night/page-2?hl= teri maxwell

What the crap? Just read some of the latest Moms and Dad’s corners that have been discussed. 

Why, just why would you write an article about bossy first-born daughters. Are they seriously throwing Sarah under the bus? Why not an article about any child getting an attitude with you, but to point out first-born daughters?  That’s just cruel. 

And I get the feeling that all of Steve’s hissy fit articles about not having set (rigid) bedtimes and dinner times and enjoying entertainment are all directed at John’s more flexible, fun lifestyle.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived