IGNORED

Maxwell 17: Life After John Left

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, sparkles said:

Her best bet is probably a widower

Yup, that's what I was thinking.  Hopefully, it isn't some maladjusted never-married guy who spouts the correct theology but is hopeless at being a decently kind and functional human being -- um, someone not unlike Steve himself. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s gonna be a huge shock for Steve when he turns up to the gates of Heaven and instead gets tossed into the fiery pits of Hell. He’s been such an asshole there’s no way he’d get into Heaven.

Sports kinda bore me so I wouldn't have a problem there.  But on the other hand I've had a Skillet song stuck in my head all morning :P

As for books about writing, I turned to a random page in one of mine and found these:

"Before our very eyes, Roger in Lord of the Flies, Allie Fox in The Mosquito Coast, and Anakin Skywalker in the Star Wars saga all devolve into villains."

"Gollum/Sméagol in The Lord of the Rings is a famous example."

"Forrest Gump, WALL-E, Don Quixote, Mary Poppins, and even Jesus Christ are the agents of change though they themselves do not transform."

Poor Sarah wouldn't follow that at all.

Or picking another page:

"What would be the coolest way to tell this character's inner journey?  Errol Flynn romantic adventure? Schindler's List exploration of the depravity of man?  Sneakers-style high-tech buddy caper?  Overland quest?  Mistaken identity?  Have fun playing with ideas."

Sarah's characters' inner journey is as limited as her own.

1 hour ago, CyborgKin said:

Sarah's characters' inner journey is as limited as her own.

Well, of course it is, since their journey IS her own. She takes "write what you know" to extremes. I would imagine that nothing happens to the Moodys that hasn't already happened to the Maxwells. When I read that first book, the intro to Dragnet kept running through my head. "The story you are about to read is true. Only the names have been (barely) changed to protect the innocent." Remcak/Demcak anyone?

My bet would be on Anna, if any.  She is the youngest and arguably the most attractive.  She seems to have the most natural and happiest "countenance" of all the Maxwell kidults. 

Just now, sparkles said:

Well, of course it is, since their journey IS her own. She takes "write what you know" to extremes. I would imagine that nothing happens to the Moodys that hasn't already happened to the Maxwells. When I read that first book, the intro to Dragnet kept running through my head. "The story you are about to read is true. Only the names have been (barely) changed to protect the innocent." Remcak/Demcak anyone?

I’m a little to young for Dragnet so I will go with Law & Order. 

25 minutes ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

My bet would be on Anna, if any.  She is the youngest and arguably the most attractive.  She seems to have the most natural and happiest "countenance" of all the Maxwell kidults. 

Mary is the youngest. 

7 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I disagree - there are plenty of men who are not into sports or TV, especially in these circles. And the sporting matches you mention all meet Steve's criteria. This one does not fly.

The sporting matches I mentioned in my previous post do not meet Steve's criteria. He doesn't believe in ANY kind of sports. He goes into detail about this in both the "Keeping Hearts" and "Preparing Sons" books, as well as on their blog. Even in one of Sarah's Moody books, there's a short segment where some member of the Moodys' church calls and asks Pa Moody if the boys would be interested in joining a homeschooling sports team. (I think it was baseball, but I can't be sure.) Pa Moody says no, for the very same reasons that Steve pulled Christopher and Nathan out of baseball. And the two Moody boys are OK with that.

9 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Speaking of balloon art and animals. After the infamous speech at Chelsy & John's wedding.  Anna could make phallic balloons filled with confetti for Jesse's wedding as favors.

And the wondrous part of this is that the guests might think that said balloons were giant spurting sausages!

As mean as it sounds, I’d be happy if none of the remaining “children” marry. The fewer babies conceived in this horrific cult, the better.

Ok, I am literally Cathy Jo. Let me brag here - a lot of my friend's wedding festivites would have been missing some crucial details if I was not there. I get super anal about events like this, and her vacuuming John's car is not unlike many tasks I have taken on.

Here’s an example of Steve judgmentally snotting off on why sports are bad. 

http://articles.titus2.com/sports-part-1/

He also likes to harp on how their fitness challenges are not about competition, which, apparently is of the devil. He goes on about it in every post about the challenge. Yeah, you keep trying to justify it, Steve-o, but if it walks like a duck...

https://blog.titus2.com/2011/01/26/fitness/

On 1/17/2018 at 9:14 AM, kpmom said:

Guest post from NR Anna up about abortion and how to explain it to young children. :huh:

Why would you need to explain abortion to young children at all?  Well, I guess you do since you use them at anti abortion rallies, and by your own admission they don't have a clue what they are actually protesting.

And Sarah says we are "approaching" Roe v Wade.  Does she mean the anniversary? 

I grew up in a pro life family and knew about abortion from a young age. I was shown pictures of aborted babies. I had no real understanding but was made to protest abortion. It’s common in conservative Christian families to talk to young kids about this. I don’t thinks it’s okay or age appropriate. No child can really grasp the concept of abortion. 

Kids cant truly process religion but they are taught it.

Wow, I read the wedding post for the first time just now.

How did Chelsy lose her vows? Where was Cathy Jo when they needed her? Did Steve take them in a passive-aggressive power move to humiliate the bride expressing not only his anger at losing a son-prisoner but manifesting sexual jealousy? (I too have a narcissistic father and one must think about these things) 

What the fuck with the drone. Ok, for real.

Also, literally thank God John did not die on the way to his own wedding. I would have a hard time with that. He had to grow up in that awful house for all those years to never experience true love so if he died I would have had a personal crisis. 

And a big Fuck You to whoever placed that preposterous inflatable in the back of John's sexy ass truck. Again - was it Steve's idea? 

Hey Steve, you should really try and manifest your Humiliation Kink in healthier ways.

On 1/20/2018 at 7:07 AM, Palimpsest said:

I don't think Stevehovah is against his daughters marrying in theory.  It would be fulfilling their womanly function.  It is more that that he expects perfect home-owning Godly suitors to be dropped into their lives by the Lord. 

This is exactly what I think regarding Steve.  He has too many requirements for suitors though I do think there is something to the idea that he can't abide the idea of his daughters moving away.  The suitor not only must meet Steveovah's laundry list of requirements but same suitor must be willing to move near the family compound, which could be problematic for one who is expected to work for himself.  Someone self-employed could possibly be removing himself from his customer base by relocating and therefore would have to start over.   To which, Steve would say: nope, next.

On 1/20/2018 at 3:06 PM, Ozlsn said:

He wants a son-in-law who will recognise and submit to his authority, same as he's trained his sons to do from birth. I tend to think that's one of thd biggest stumbling blocks in Sarah finding anyone - Steve will not approve of them for micro reasons because he is afraid of losing control. 

I have no way of knowing this, but I strongly suspect that Steveovah has passed up suitors for his daughters and this is probably the biggest reason.   He expects the suitor to recognize and defer his authority but aha, here's the problem: fundie guys who would be fundie enough for Steve expect to become their own headship and their own family authority. 

Does anyone know who Samuel Maxwell IV is?  He bought one of the plots of land on the street that Steve bought up, and is building a house. 

I wish the fundie community could realize that pro-choice does not mean anti-life. Having an abortion isn’t fun, no one thinks to themselves, “oh I really hope I get to have one of those one day!” But it’s a necessary option to prevent even more death from botched back alley abortions. 

I’d also love to see them helping out these babies once they are born. Especially the babies who are addicted to drugs, have multiple special needs and will require government assistance for the rest of their lives. That’s where the true compassion will show through.  

“Compassion” and “fundie” do not belong in the same sentence. 

@theologygeek,  Maxwell wasn't Steve's original surname, but that of his stepfather.  This Samuel Maxwell might be the brother of Steve's stepdad though.  I'll have to check the Maxwell guide to see.

On 1/20/2018 at 5:47 AM, HarleyQuinn said:

I really do not understand their obsession with buying a home debt free with cash. Is he allergic to mortgages? It's not the worst thing in the world. You're telling me Sarah's dream guy could show up but because he rents an apartment he's automatically disqualified? It's just so ridiculous. 

This. He could have a stock portfolio or a 401K earning 20% or more per year and qualify for a 30 year 3% mortgage and that still would not fly with Steve.

8 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@theologygeek,  Maxwell wasn't Steve's original surname, but that of his stepfather.  This Samuel Maxwell might be the brother of Steve's stepdad though.  I'll have to check the Maxwell guide to see.

That's why I was confused.  But this one is younger than the stepfather because he is the son of Sam the third, who was born in the 50's. Step brother?  Step cousin maybe? 

@FloraDoraDolly sorry! I misremembered that - I was thinking Steve meant that only in context of outside the family sports. I still don’t think sports and sports on  TV would that big of a deal to these types - in my old IFB church and school, no one followed teams except casually maybe or did more than intramural volleyball and softball for PE. It was not as important as it was in the secular universe.

When I first started following this family, I kind of thought everyone was a little mean by saying they were so boring.

Guys.  They have to be the most boring family on the planet.  

I read two pages of a moody book aloud to my mother (it didn’t help improve my writing, if anyone was curious).  The two pages said absolutely nothing and gave the list in and details about that family’s life.  I assume this is because that’s all Sarah knows.

The more I follow, the more boring they are.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived