IGNORED

Maxwell 17: Life After John Left

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

I think someone on here once said that they’d met Sarah at a conference, and that Sarah had said she’d had a few guys interested in her, but that they hadn’t got past Steve or something. Steve is a dick. The Maxwells are sooper-sekritive about things

I'd really like to hear from one of those male suitors! Too bad they probably feel too much shame about being turned down to go public about it, or they might think the story isn't interesting enough since the Maxhell clan isn't popular on the same level as the Duggars or Bates.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok I’m a bit embarrassed to admit this but sometimes in the shower when I’m tuning out a crying baby & whining toddler I like to imagine Sarah Maxwell (1 year my senior) is at the nursing home and one of ‘The Elderly’ introduces her to her grandson. He’s a widowed missionary in his late 30s. In my fantasy for some reason he has 3 young daughters & his wife died while on their mission in some Asian country (details hazy here). 

Anyway they fall in love and marry and move far away. They have one child, a son. And she’s so happy! He has 2 younger single brothers who marry the other two sisters and they all live far away from Steve. Sarah then encourages her Mum who comes to stay to leave Steve & move in with her into a nice quiet basement flat (no grandchildren to annoy her if she wants her own space) and lots of Pepsi  

Such a bizzare thing to admit! And the detail I’ve gone into in my fantasy! I’ve even named all the kids :omg:

One thing I've noticed about Sarah is that she's been wearing makeup more lately, including in her birthday photos, although it wasn't much more than a light eyeliner and lipgloss. 

Would be interesting to note if Steve has relented to allow them to wear it and whether the girls have been influenced by Chelsy in doing so (can't see where else they would have got the idea from, because none of their other friends that we've seen on the blog appear to wear it much if at all).

Chelsy and John went to visit her family.  In the picture where Chelsy is hugging her sister, she looks like she was crying.  She must her family so much.  They would do so much better financially in Iowa.  John could do his real estate and irrigation there, and there are a million things Chelsy could do if she wanted to between work and/or ministry.  She loves the prison ministry.  If John is the Christian he says he is, he would go where Chelsy feels called to do ministry. 

43 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I can totally see a few men being interested in Sarah but Steve is such an ass that he probably rejected anyone man. 

I would be completely shocked if she didn't have a few guys interested in courting her over the years. She's very pretty, she's exactly what these people teach to be a "godly woman" and she has a respectable family in their community. She's a catch. Sarah is most definitely not the problem. It's all on Steve here.

1 hour ago, theologygeek said:

Chelsy and John went to visit her family.  In the picture where Chelsy is hugging her sister, she looks like she was crying.  She must her family so much.  They would do so much better financially in Iowa.  John could do his real estate and irrigation there, and there are a million things Chelsy could do if she wanted to between work and/or ministry.  She loves the prison ministry.  If John is the Christian he says he is, he would go where Chelsy feels called to do ministry. 

I went to the blog to see the picture you referenced--did you see the last photo in the post?!???

They are with f***ing ROY MOORE!! Their caption:

"One day before a prison service, we, along with the Bowers family,  had the privilege to meet with former Chief Justice Roy Moore. We were inspired by Mr. Moore's dedication to truth and law. He is truly an unwavering man of principle and character." (emphasis added)

I CANNOT EVEN HANDLE THE HYPOCRISY OF THESE PEOPLE sometimes! My blood is just boiling over that caption!

*runs off to smash things*

1 hour ago, Lea said:

I went to the blog to see the picture you referenced--did you see the last photo in the post?!???

They are with f***ing ROY MOORE!! Their caption:

"One day before a prison service, we, along with the Bowers family,  had the privilege to meet with former Chief Justice Roy Moore. We were inspired by Mr. Moore's dedication to truth and law. He is truly an unwavering man of principle and character." (emphasis added)

I CANNOT EVEN HANDLE THE HYPOCRISY OF THESE PEOPLE sometimes! My blood is just boiling over that caption!

Yeah... It turned my stomach.  I would not allow my children near that man. 

6 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

One thing I've noticed about Sarah is that she's been wearing makeup more lately, including in her birthday photos, although it wasn't much more than a light eyeliner and lipgloss. 

Would be interesting to note if Steve has relented to allow them to wear it and whether the girls have been influenced by Chelsy in doing so (can't see where else they would have got the idea from, because none of their other friends that we've seen on the blog appear to wear it much if at all).

Someone had asked about makeup in the blog comments or at a conference.  Steve said something like "They don't need makeup."  Maybe someone else remembers it better than I do, but he did say something about makeup. 

If Goofy Anna and Scary Mary talk like they do in that Thanksgiving video that may be a turn off for potential husbands. You don't need to sound like your 10 year old niece.

2 hours ago, Lea said:

There's no hypocrisy though. It's perfectly consistent with their beliefs. 

They don't believe Moore's accusers - virtually nobody who voted for him does - so they don't believe he is a predator or ephebophile but rather a person who nobly and bravely upholds their values (opposition to abortion and LGBT people above all) while being victim of attacks from all sides, including a smear campaign from people who oppose those values. 

They also believe men in public life can be excused sexual misbehaviour, and indeed any kind of misbehaviour, if they're convinced the man is a Christian and therefore repentant - and they'll excuse him even if he doesn't appear to be repentant and repeats the same behaviour, so long as he still promotes their values more than his opponent does. 

It also goes hand in hand with believing that women are responsible for men's sexual behaviour. Men are passive in the whole scenario because they just can't help themselves. Portraying men in this way also allows them to be cast as victims of non-godly women who apparently make up allegations against them, because liberal women are also liars as well as hussies, or something. 

43 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

This thread makes me want a doughnut. A whole one, none of that splitting bullshit. 

Could I get you a Pepsi with that?  Full bottle with your own ice-filled glass, unless you'd like to dunk your doughnut in coffee.  If that's the case, here's a mug filled with steaming hot Kona coffee, fixed just like you like it.  If you're a tea person like me, Earl Gray with milk and sugar. 

I am starting to think that the only way for these girls to marry is if they find a giant of a man who is simply big enough to scare the shit out of Steve and he will allow them to marry or have his door kicked in and his daughter carried out and away from him. His only way of keeping his dignity is to allow the marriage to take place and pretend he agreed to it wholeheartedly.

56 minutes ago, elliha said:

I am starting to think that the only way for these girls to marry is if they find a giant of a man who is simply big enough to scare the shit out of Steve and he will allow them to marry or have his door kicked in and his daughter carried out and away from him. His only way of keeping his dignity is to allow the marriage to take place and pretend he agreed to it wholeheartedly.

I suspect the only way they'll get married is for Steve to die. Teri will be so depressed she won't care what the girls are doing.

3 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

There's no hypocrisy though. It's perfectly consistent with their beliefs. 

They don't believe Moore's accusers - virtually nobody who voted for him does - so they don't believe he is a predator or ephebophile but rather a person who nobly and bravely upholds their values (opposition to abortion and LGBT people above all) while being victim of attacks from all sides, including a smear campaign from people who oppose those values.

Yeah, you are really right, very good points....maybe I am finding hypocrisy (inconsistency?) in who they would believe is the target of a smear campaign and who they wouldn't believe, or which men are allowed to get a pass based on which women are talking.

My teeth are grinding just thinking about all the messed up ways these women are meant to think about themselves.

3 hours ago, Howl said:

Could I get you a Pepsi with that?  Full bottle with your own ice-filled glass, unless you'd like to dunk your doughnut in coffee.  If that's the case, here's a mug filled with steaming hot Kona coffee, fixed just like you like it.  If you're a tea person like me, Earl Gray with milk and sugar. 

...and I'll add a piece of cheese with the paper divider still on so that you can recount the "hilarious" story about how you ate cheese with the paper still on it for years to come:my_smile:

2 hours ago, elliha said:

His only way of keeping his dignity is to allow the marriage to take place and pretend he agreed to it wholeheartedly.

You say  "dignity," I say  "asshole-ness."

I’m gonna go out on a limb and predict that Anna will be married before the end of the year. I’ve said before that I think both Anna and Mary will escape spinsterhood and I just have a feeling that Anna’s in the on-deck circle. They’ve been giving her the hard sell as the perfect pioneer wife. 

I suspect the only way they'll get married is for Steve to die. Teri will be so depressed she won't care what the girls are doing.
What do people say? 'You must kill the head vampire!'

All jokes and comparisons aside, I think this will be the only way. And maybe not even then. Because who consoles and teaches Sarah and the other girls that they are worthwhile and can do more with their lives?

18 hours ago, grammyj said:

And, I would add,  what's the thing with Keeping (stealing) your children's hearts?   I have never read the book nor have I ever seen it sold second hand when I would buy it, read it and destroy it.  For any of you who have actually read it, is there any mention of giving  a son/daughters heart back to them when they reach adulthood?  How does the book end?

When a child reaches adulthood and gets married, then his/her heart is transferred from the parents to the new spouse. But the Maxwells don't say what happens when an adult child remains single well into their thirties. (This wouldn't have been an issue for them at the time "Keeping Hearts" was written.) My guess is, the parents are supposed to continue to keep their adult child's heart.

What parent wants their adult children to be nothing but a stay at home son or daughter? I’d see it as a poor reflection on me as a parent if my adult kids did nothing with their lives except live at home and have to have someone they are accountable to. 

54 minutes ago, purjolok84 said:

All jokes and comparisons aside, I think this will be the only way. And maybe not even then. Because who consoles and teaches Sarah and the other girls that they are worthwhile and can do more with their lives?

I think it will be their brothers who don't want to support all three women for the rest of their lives. They can probably make connections for their sisters through their wives' families- maybe Chelsy can match Sarah up with an older cousin, or Elissa could know someone from 4H who has an eligible brother, etc.

I think it will be their brothers who don't want to support all three women for the rest of their lives. They can probably make connections for their sisters through their wives' families- maybe Chelsy can match Sarah up with an older cousin, or Elissa could know someone from 4H who has an eligible brother, etc.
I could see John in this role. Maybe even Nathan.

The others I could imagine taking the three sisters on as full time indentured babysitters/helpers.

It just irks me that it seems that so much damage has been done that marriage to someone in their stunted circle is the only answer. :(

1 hour ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

When a child reaches adulthood and gets married, then his/her heart is transferred from the parents to the new spouse. But the Maxwells don't say what happens when an adult child remains single well into their thirties. (This wouldn't have been an issue for them at the time "Keeping Hearts" was written.) My guess is, the parents are supposed to continue to keep their adult child's heart.

Well the girls at least don’t reach adulthood til they marry, even Poor Sarah remains a child as she approaches 40.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived