IGNORED

Roy Moore is a loser: Sweet Home Alabama- 2

samurai_sarah

The real heroes of Alabama are people like this.

@chaotic life, I am not under the illusion that this will really help where it counts, but it might make a first significant step in raising awareness. At least, I fervently hope so.

Raw sewage, hookworm and civil rights: UN official shocked at poverty in rural Alabama

United Nations official investigating poverty in the United States was shocked at the level of environmental degradation in some areas of rural Alabama, saying he had never seen anything like it in the developed world.

"I think it's very uncommon in the First World. This is not a sight that one normally sees. I'd have to say that I haven't seen this," Philip Alston, the U.N.'s Special Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights, told Connor Sheets of AL.com earlier this week as they toured a community in Butler County where raw sewage flows from homes through exposed PVC pipes and into open trenches and pits.

The tour through Alabama's rural communities is part of a two-week investigation by the U.N. on poverty and human rights abuses in the United States. So far, U.N. investigators have visited cities and towns in California and Alabama, and will soon travel to Puerto Rico, Washington, D.C., and West Virginia.

Of particular concern to Alston are specific poverty-related issues that have surfaced across the country in recent years, such as an outbreak of hookworm in Alabama in 2017—a disease typically found in nations with substandard sanitary conditions in South Asia and Subsaharan Africa.

The U.N. investigation aims to study the effects of systemic poverty in a prosperous nation like the United States.

By many accounts, poverty in the U.S. is worse than in most developed nations, despite rhetoric espoused by President Donald Trump and others who claim that the U.S. is the "best country in the world."

According to the Census Bureau, nearly 41 million people in the U.S. live in poverty. That's second-highest rate of poverty among rich countries, as measured by the percentage of people earning less than half the national median income, according to Quartz.

These income and wealth disparities affect minorities the most. Black, Hispanic, and Native American children, for example, are two to three times more likely to live in poverty than white kids, according to a study using Census data by the Annie E. Casey Foundation.

Economic inequality and racial discrimination have also been linked with civil rights abuses, particularly in Alabama and other states across the South. Furthermore, police shootings of unarmed black men and women are of deep concern to the U.N.

Alston, who also serves as a law professor at New York University, said in a statement announcing the start of the U.N. investigation that poverty in the U.S. has been overlooked for too long. 

“Some might ask why a U.N. Special Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights would visit a country as rich as the United States," Alston said. "But despite great wealth in the U.S., there also exists great poverty and inequality.”

Alston also pointed out that the U.S. "has been very keen" on other countries being investigated by the U.N. for civil and human rights issues. 

"Now, it's the turn to look at what's going on in the U.S.," Alston said. "There are pretty extreme levels of poverty in the United States given the wealth of the country. And that does have significant human rights implications.

Despite these concerns, the Republican Party, which controls all three branches of the federal government, is on course to pass a tax bill before the end of the year that will increase the federal deficit by $1 trillion in 10 years--costs that the GOP says will be offset by reducing an already-weakened social safety net.

For Alston, these political decisions are at the root of systemic poverty in the U.S.

“The idea of human rights is that people have basic dignity and that it’s the role of the government — yes, the government! — to ensure that no one falls below the decent level,” he said.  “Civilized society doesn’t say for people to go and make it on your own and if you can’t, bad luck.”

“Politicians who say, ‘there’s nothing I can do about that’ are simply wrong,” Alston told WKMS 91.3 FM, a public radio station in Ohio near one of the other sites under investigation by the U.N.

I cannot put into words how appalled I was finding out just how truly horrifically poor people in America can be.  :(

• Upvote 18
  • Love 8

42 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

I cannot put into words how appalled I was finding out just how truly horrifically poor people in America can be.

When I was in graduate school (in the late 1980s), one of my classes dealt with situations in third world countries. My professor pointed out that to see third world country conditions, just go south a couple of hours from our university. That would run you into southwest Virginia and eastern Kentucky. So many people in that area still (in 2017) don't have indoor plumbing and live in abject poverty. It is appalling.

• Sad 10
  • WTF 1

Seeing as the turn out for people of color was so high, I fear Trump/Bannon will work extra hard to suppress the vote in 2018.

12 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

OT: My sweet MIL sent me some fuzzy socks with otters on them for Christmas! Do you think it's okay to start wearing them early? I'm not pregnant nor an adult film actress if that helps you decide. :popcorn:

I feel we are of one mind on this."die-hard Trump lover'  More like determined shit stirrer.  

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 5

"‘We didn’t do it for you’: Black women sound off on ‘saving America’ from Roy Moore"

Spoiler

On Wednesday night, late-night television hosts dove headfirst into the fallout from this week’s Senate race in Alabama. Over on “The Daily Show,” Trevor Noah tapped the program’s correspondent Dulce Sloan to highlight one of the bigger takeaways from Doug Jones’s squeaker win over Roy Moore: the role of Alabama’s black women in delivering a win for Democrat Jones over Republican Moore.

According to exit polls, 98 percent of black women voted for Jones, with 93 percent of black men turning up for the candidate. White men and women, by contrast, voted 26 and 34 percent for Jones, respectively.

The strong showing sparked a lot of social media commentary and celebration online for black women, cascading to the point where a hashtag (#blackwomen) began trending on Twitter.

“People are saying thank you to black women, online you saw it, it must have been nice to see black women’s contributions finally recognized,” Noah told Sloan.

“Yes! We’ve been through so much!” Sloan shot back. “And you’re welcome, white people. But let’s be honest, we didn’t do it for you, we did it for ourselves. No black woman cast her vote going, ‘This one’s for Scott!'” she said as the audience cracked up.

“So if you really want to thank us, how about you change the laws making it easier for us to vote, or sing our praises by giving us raises. Or at the very least cancel winter. You know only white people like snow.”

Late night jokes aside, the commentary hit the bull’s eye on a real conversation spinning off the Alabama election. The black woman — who Malcolm X once pointed out was the “most disrespected,” “most unprotected” and “most neglected person in America” — turned out because she had the most to lose from the policies pushed by the far right conservatives like Moore, some commentators argued.

But after the election was all the attention heaped on black women sincere? Or patronizing? And will it evaporate within a few days?

... < lots of tweets >

In a piece titled “Black Women Are a Political Organizing Force. They’re Not Unicorns,” HuffPost writer Julia Craven reported on the exhaustive on-the-ground organizing black volunteers in Alabama did to mobilize for Jones. By ignoring the actual work, Craven wrote, observers were playing into a “Magical Negro” stereotype.

In Hollywood, as in politics, the Magical Negro is a virtuous black character who serves to better the lives of white people via seemingly supernatural means and asks nothing for herself. She is frequently praised for what she has done for white folks, praised for her saintly equanimity and selflessness, and too little acknowledged for all the things — the wiles, the grit, the grinding, thankless work — that went into securing the happy outcome.

“Don’t just overlook the hard work that we did,” one organizer, Carissa Crayton, told Craven. “Don’t overlook the hard work that we’ve been doing.”

At the Root, Ashley Nkadi argued in her piece “Y’all Don’t Deserve Black Women” that this particular demographic has been consistently taking political stands that are later taken up by a wider audience. “Every time there is something good in this world — know that black women probably did it first, said it first, seent it first,” Nkadi wrote. “Conversely, most negative things in this world, black women tried to save you from.”

She continued:

It was Anita Hill who exposed the predatory nature of men on Capitol Hill, long before Monica Lewinsky’s heels ever stepped on the carpets of the Oval Office. It was Tarana Burke who sent the first #MeToo into the world, 10 years before the movement was appropriated by white feminism. Twenty years before the pink pussy hats that filled the streets of our nation’s capital, 750,000 black women gathered for their Million Woman March.

“The Daily Show” wasn’t the only late night program to tackle the topic. On “Late Night” Seth Meyers brought on one of the show’s writers, Amber Ruffin, to comment on the election.

“Do you know what these women go through every day? Those women woke up yesterday and were like, ‘I’ve got to deal with systemic racism, the gender pay gap, the school-to-prison pipeline, humidity and now y’all want me to save America?’”

Ruffin urged white voters to take a cue from Tuesday’s results. “White people, I invite you to look upon our example, and steal it. It’s called appropriating, and it should be easy for you because you do it all the time. So while you’re busy appropriating our music and our fashion and our big fat booties, try appropriating our common sense.”

• Upvote 14
  • Love 7

@chaotic life Preach it, sister! Everything you said is absolutely true. Every. Single.Word! Let's hope that Jones' victory is a sign of things to come. It's time for a new Alabama.

Do you know if the changing of voting locations was statewide or just in certain counties? In my county, they haven't changed in many years.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

46 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

"‘We didn’t do it for you’: Black women sound off on ‘saving America’ from Roy Moore"

Hide contents

On Wednesday night, late-night television hosts dove headfirst into the fallout from this week’s Senate race in Alabama. Over on “The Daily Show,” Trevor Noah tapped the program’s correspondent Dulce Sloan to highlight one of the bigger takeaways from Doug Jones’s squeaker win over Roy Moore: the role of Alabama’s black women in delivering a win for Democrat Jones over Republican Moore.

According to exit polls, 98 percent of black women voted for Jones, with 93 percent of black men turning up for the candidate. White men and women, by contrast, voted 26 and 34 percent for Jones, respectively.

The strong showing sparked a lot of social media commentary and celebration online for black women, cascading to the point where a hashtag (#blackwomen) began trending on Twitter.

“People are saying thank you to black women, online you saw it, it must have been nice to see black women’s contributions finally recognized,” Noah told Sloan.

“Yes! We’ve been through so much!” Sloan shot back. “And you’re welcome, white people. But let’s be honest, we didn’t do it for you, we did it for ourselves. No black woman cast her vote going, ‘This one’s for Scott!'” she said as the audience cracked up.

“So if you really want to thank us, how about you change the laws making it easier for us to vote, or sing our praises by giving us raises. Or at the very least cancel winter. You know only white people like snow.”

Late night jokes aside, the commentary hit the bull’s eye on a real conversation spinning off the Alabama election. The black woman — who Malcolm X once pointed out was the “most disrespected,” “most unprotected” and “most neglected person in America” — turned out because she had the most to lose from the policies pushed by the far right conservatives like Moore, some commentators argued.

But after the election was all the attention heaped on black women sincere? Or patronizing? And will it evaporate within a few days?

... < lots of tweets >

In a piece titled “Black Women Are a Political Organizing Force. They’re Not Unicorns,” HuffPost writer Julia Craven reported on the exhaustive on-the-ground organizing black volunteers in Alabama did to mobilize for Jones. By ignoring the actual work, Craven wrote, observers were playing into a “Magical Negro” stereotype.

In Hollywood, as in politics, the Magical Negro is a virtuous black character who serves to better the lives of white people via seemingly supernatural means and asks nothing for herself. She is frequently praised for what she has done for white folks, praised for her saintly equanimity and selflessness, and too little acknowledged for all the things — the wiles, the grit, the grinding, thankless work — that went into securing the happy outcome.

“Don’t just overlook the hard work that we did,” one organizer, Carissa Crayton, told Craven. “Don’t overlook the hard work that we’ve been doing.”

At the Root, Ashley Nkadi argued in her piece “Y’all Don’t Deserve Black Women” that this particular demographic has been consistently taking political stands that are later taken up by a wider audience. “Every time there is something good in this world — know that black women probably did it first, said it first, seent it first,” Nkadi wrote. “Conversely, most negative things in this world, black women tried to save you from.”

She continued:

It was Anita Hill who exposed the predatory nature of men on Capitol Hill, long before Monica Lewinsky’s heels ever stepped on the carpets of the Oval Office. It was Tarana Burke who sent the first #MeToo into the world, 10 years before the movement was appropriated by white feminism. Twenty years before the pink pussy hats that filled the streets of our nation’s capital, 750,000 black women gathered for their Million Woman March.

“The Daily Show” wasn’t the only late night program to tackle the topic. On “Late Night” Seth Meyers brought on one of the show’s writers, Amber Ruffin, to comment on the election.

“Do you know what these women go through every day? Those women woke up yesterday and were like, ‘I’ve got to deal with systemic racism, the gender pay gap, the school-to-prison pipeline, humidity and now y’all want me to save America?’”

Ruffin urged white voters to take a cue from Tuesday’s results. “White people, I invite you to look upon our example, and steal it. It’s called appropriating, and it should be easy for you because you do it all the time. So while you’re busy appropriating our music and our fashion and our big fat booties, try appropriating our common sense.”

They are right. And there were so many reasons to send Moore to fuck himself and all of them legitimate that it is a true shame that whites didn't vote the democrat candidate in droves too.

The situation in Alabama reminds me of a joke my grandfather loved to tell: God chooses to make a gift to a good old farmer who always goes to Mass and tells him: "I decided to give you whatever you want, you just need to ask. But I have to tell you that whatever it is that you choose your neighbour will have it too, but doubled." The elderly farmer thinks about it and then replies: "Oh Lord, take away one of my eyes!".

My grandfather was a old conservative farmer himself but he was keenly aware of and profoundly despised the mindset of those conservatives who would take a huge blow to their own interests just to make sure that their neighbours end up faring even worse.

• Upvote 16
  • Love 4

@chaotic life - excellent posts, both of them. Thank you so much. 

Your information explains why an academic friend who recently visited UA-Huntsville for a conference around Thanksgiving saw a town papered with Jones signs -- not something he expected but which gave him hope.

• Upvote 11

"How conservative media reacted to Roy Moore’s stunning loss"

Spoiler

Democrat Doug Jones’s victory in Alabama's U.S. Senate special election shocked political observers, setting off a cascade of commentary about its political significance as the country heads toward midterm elections in 2018.

Alabama has not elected a Democrat to the Senate in 25 years. Jones's Republican opponent, Roy Moore, who has yet to concede, ran a contentious campaign that split his party, despite earning vocal endorsements from President Trump and the president's former political strategist Stephen K. Bannon.

Jones's victory — likely to have ramifications in Congress, where Republicans cling to a slim majority in the Senate — led the news on the biggest U.S. news sites. But how did it play in conservative media?

Not Bannon’s fault

The reputation the president’s former chief strategist had earned in some quarters as a political mastermind — many credited him for Trump's improbable success last year — sustained a massive blow with Moore’s loss. Despite the numerous allegations made by women that Moore had acted inappropriately toward them when they were teenagers, Bannon blazed ahead with his support for the candidate, stumping with him in the campaign’s final days.

“If they can destroy Roy Moore, they can destroy you,” he told a crowd in early December.

But after Tuesday's election, many prominent conservative voices, including the Wall Street Journal's editorial board, were quick to question Bannon's importance to the party because of the loss. 

On Breitbart, the site that Bannon serves as executive chairman, conservative writer Ann Coulter pushed back on the assertion that he deserved blame for the loss.

“Bannon is the least culpable!” she tweeted, in a quote that the site splashed, exclamation mark included, in a headline across its home page. Coulter's piece served more as a broadside against Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) for fighting against one of Moore's primary challengers, Mo Brooks, a view shared by far-right Fox News host Sean Hannity.

“The good news is, even with the media carrying on 24-7 about Moore being a 'CHILD MOLESTER!' and 'PEDOPHILE,' the election was still a nail-biter,” Coulter wrote. “I salute the good people of Alabama and admire their contempt for the media.”

She said she believed that the election demonstrated the importance of harsh immigration policies for Republicans.

“Everyone who screwed the pooch on this one better realize fast: All that matters is immigration. It’s all that matters to the country, and it’s all that matters for winning elections,” she wrote. “Republicans who treat immigration as a back burner issue should be required to run on the issues they consider more important — in California. See how your arguments fare in a state that’s already been transformed by immigration. That’s your new country.”

But emails text messages

The Daily Caller, a reliably conservative site with a large following, downplayed the election news entirely, with only scant references on its home page. Instead the site focused on negative stories about special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation into possible Russian collusion: sound bites of Republican congressmen aggressively questioning Rod J. Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general with jurisdiction over the investigation, during a hearing on Capitol Hill on Wednesday; stories about texts sent by two officials who later went to work on Mueller’s team that were critical of then-candidate Trump; and a news piece that called Mueller “The Biased 'Special Counsel,' " in its home-page headline.

Fox News joined the fray, with the leading piece on its website about the Rosenstein hearing during the afternoon. “GOP pols pile on Rosenstein over agents’ anti-Trump texts, ‘extreme bias,’ Mueller probe,” the headline read. Later, it played up stories looking at whether there was any silver lining for conservatives in Jones’s election. One story, which later led the website, focused on the “pressure” facing Doug Jones to vote with the GOP, a push started by the Republican National Committee immediately after Moore's loss.

Misinformation

A couple of conservative sites published stories saying the election was tainted by fraudulent voting, claims that were published with scant evidence. Infowars' Alex Jones, who regularly spreads conspiracy theories, said that “dead people” and “folks bused in” swayed the election, claims that were not substantiated by evidence.

“And they, as they do all over the country, had the dead people vote and had the folks bused in in those Democrat areas, and they stole the election,” he said. “So it really is biblical what we’re witnessing, and the dirty tricks of the Clintons and the dirty tricks of their systems in this country reaching down through into daily life. I mean, they come after you when you fight them.”

Right-wing site Big League Politics, which was started by former Breitbart employees, ran multiple stories that sowed doubt about the integrity of the vote. One story on the site, based in large part off a single anonymous post on Reddit of unconfirmed authenticity, claimed that African Americans were being solicited to travel from Mississippi to Alabama for the vote.

Conservative radio host Bill Mitchell amplified some of those conspiracy theories on his Twitter account to wide derision.

The Alabama Republican Party said it does not support Moore's push for a recount, but on Wednesday evening Moore once again declined to concede.

Ann Coulter needs to just go jump in a lake. Preferably a deep one.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

34 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Right-wing site Big League Politics, which was started by former Breitbart employees, ran multiple stories that sowed doubt about the integrity of the vote. One story on the site, based in large part off a single anonymous post on Reddit of unconfirmed authenticity, claimed that African Americans were being solicited to travel from Mississippi to Alabama for the vote

Since Alabamians must provide a valid form of ID to vote, the Mississippians would  need fake Alabama IDs in order to vote. Who paid for the fake IDs? The buses? How was the whole thing organized? :roll:

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

"How conservative media reacted to Roy Moore’s stunning loss"

Reveal hidden contents

Democrat Doug Jones’s victory in Alabama's U.S. Senate special election shocked political observers, setting off a cascade of commentary about its political significance as the country heads toward midterm elections in 2018.

Alabama has not elected a Democrat to the Senate in 25 years. Jones's Republican opponent, Roy Moore, who has yet to concede, ran a contentious campaign that split his party, despite earning vocal endorsements from President Trump and the president's former political strategist Stephen K. Bannon.

Jones's victory — likely to have ramifications in Congress, where Republicans cling to a slim majority in the Senate — led the news on the biggest U.S. news sites. But how did it play in conservative media?

Not Bannon’s fault

The reputation the president’s former chief strategist had earned in some quarters as a political mastermind — many credited him for Trump's improbable success last year — sustained a massive blow with Moore’s loss. Despite the numerous allegations made by women that Moore had acted inappropriately toward them when they were teenagers, Bannon blazed ahead with his support for the candidate, stumping with him in the campaign’s final days.

“If they can destroy Roy Moore, they can destroy you,” he told a crowd in early December.

But after Tuesday's election, many prominent conservative voices, including the Wall Street Journal's editorial board, were quick to question Bannon's importance to the party because of the loss. 

On Breitbart, the site that Bannon serves as executive chairman, conservative writer Ann Coulter pushed back on the assertion that he deserved blame for the loss.

“Bannon is the least culpable!” she tweeted, in a quote that the site splashed, exclamation mark included, in a headline across its home page. Coulter's piece served more as a broadside against Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) for fighting against one of Moore's primary challengers, Mo Brooks, a view shared by far-right Fox News host Sean Hannity.

“The good news is, even with the media carrying on 24-7 about Moore being a 'CHILD MOLESTER!' and 'PEDOPHILE,' the election was still a nail-biter,” Coulter wrote. “I salute the good people of Alabama and admire their contempt for the media.”

She said she believed that the election demonstrated the importance of harsh immigration policies for Republicans.

“Everyone who screwed the pooch on this one better realize fast: All that matters is immigration. It’s all that matters to the country, and it’s all that matters for winning elections,” she wrote. “Republicans who treat immigration as a back burner issue should be required to run on the issues they consider more important — in California. See how your arguments fare in a state that’s already been transformed by immigration. That’s your new country.”

But emails text messages

The Daily Caller, a reliably conservative site with a large following, downplayed the election news entirely, with only scant references on its home page. Instead the site focused on negative stories about special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation into possible Russian collusion: sound bites of Republican congressmen aggressively questioning Rod J. Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general with jurisdiction over the investigation, during a hearing on Capitol Hill on Wednesday; stories about texts sent by two officials who later went to work on Mueller’s team that were critical of then-candidate Trump; and a news piece that called Mueller “The Biased 'Special Counsel,' " in its home-page headline.

Fox News joined the fray, with the leading piece on its website about the Rosenstein hearing during the afternoon. “GOP pols pile on Rosenstein over agents’ anti-Trump texts, ‘extreme bias,’ Mueller probe,” the headline read. Later, it played up stories looking at whether there was any silver lining for conservatives in Jones’s election. One story, which later led the website, focused on the “pressure” facing Doug Jones to vote with the GOP, a push started by the Republican National Committee immediately after Moore's loss.

Misinformation

A couple of conservative sites published stories saying the election was tainted by fraudulent voting, claims that were published with scant evidence. Infowars' Alex Jones, who regularly spreads conspiracy theories, said that “dead people” and “folks bused in” swayed the election, claims that were not substantiated by evidence.

“And they, as they do all over the country, had the dead people vote and had the folks bused in in those Democrat areas, and they stole the election,” he said. “So it really is biblical what we’re witnessing, and the dirty tricks of the Clintons and the dirty tricks of their systems in this country reaching down through into daily life. I mean, they come after you when you fight them.”

Right-wing site Big League Politics, which was started by former Breitbart employees, ran multiple stories that sowed doubt about the integrity of the vote. One story on the site, based in large part off a single anonymous post on Reddit of unconfirmed authenticity, claimed that African Americans were being solicited to travel from Mississippi to Alabama for the vote.

Conservative radio host Bill Mitchell amplified some of those conspiracy theories on his Twitter account to wide derision.

The Alabama Republican Party said it does not support Moore's push for a recount, but on Wednesday evening Moore once again declined to concede.

Just tell her it was God's will Jones would win and if she does not except that then she is rejecting the word of GOD. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

The question is, will she sink, or float?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

Just tell her it was God's will Jones would win and if she does not except that then she is rejecting the word of GOD. 

So to recap, Anti-immigrant Pedo-friendly Jesus is trying to fix the election for Roy Moore, Ayn Rand Jesus is working on the tax bill, and Bang-Bang Jesus is working with the NRA to put a chicken gun in every pot. 

God, can you please come collect your unruly children? You can leave "Don't be a giant flaming jackass to the poor" Jesus here, he's cool.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5

7 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

So to recap, Anti-immigrant Pedo-friendly Jesus is trying to fix the election for Roy Moore, Ayn Rand Jesus is working on the tax bill, and Bang-Bang Jesus is working with the NRA to put a chicken gun in every pot. 

God, can you please come collect your unruly children? You can leave "Don't be a giant flaming jackass to the poor" Jesus here, he's cool.

Don't forget Dirty Jesus trying to covert all the scary brown Catholic people.

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 4

I'd say, just put them all in a handbasket... for sure they're heading the other way.  

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

“Republicans who treat immigration as a back burner issue should be required to run on the issues they consider more important — in California. See how your arguments fare in a state that’s already been transformed by immigration. That’s your new country.”

So, say a Republican in California decides to run on reforming the health care bill to help more people, or tax-reform, even the party version of it, or reasonable gun laws, or infrastructure, there would be no chance of winning? Aren't there Republican representatives from California? If a Republican ran in a blue district on a moderate platform, no moderate Republicans would bother to vote for her or him?

What is she saying? Does she even know?  How would these Republicans be able to run in California if they're not from California? She's like that annoying VERY large wind chime your close neighbor has. Every time the wind blows, there she is, clanging incessantly. 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

Don't forget Dirty Jesus trying to covert all the scary brown Catholic people.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Do you know if the changing of voting locations was statewide or just in certain counties? In my county, they haven't changed in many years.

@RosyDaisy I did not hear of it in other counties and none of my Madison County friends had any such experience. I am certain there were issues of other types elsewhere but that seemed to be unique to us. They moved all of them and they had been in the same location for the last four years including the primaries to this election.

Madison County (Huntsville and surrounding area) has a very conservative segment of the population especially in relation to NASA. But the rest of the city is completely different. They have a rising micro-brewery and alternative culture scene there and a very large LBGT community.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

55 minutes ago, chaotic life said:

@RosyDaisy I did not hear of it in other counties and none of my Madison County friends had any such experience. I am certain there were issues of other types elsewhere but that seemed to be unique to us. They moved all of them and they had been in the same location for the last four years including the primaries to this election.

Madison County (Huntsville and surrounding area) has a very conservative segment of the population especially in relation to NASA. But the rest of the city is completely different. They have a rising micro-brewery and alternative culture scene there and a very large LBGT community.

I would say this was a targeted attempt to make a county that they knew would go blue more competitive. I know you have bigger fish to fry and I admire what you do, but there should be somewhere to make a complaint about this. I'm actually surprised that this didn't happen in more blue counties.

I was surprised, pleasantly, when I discovered that several cities in Alabama are now allowing entertainment districts. This attracts younger people and is great for the businesses.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I notified the Alabama Democratic Party and passed the info on to several friend who are on social media now that I am not. I have nothing more I can give to this one. Calling what I am trying to survive in the broken family court system of this state a nightmare is an insult to nightmares. Moore is a symptom. In this state, we still silence victims, believe charming liars and hurt vulnerable women and children because powerful white men with money are more valuable then their victims, especially when those victims struggle with disabilities.

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Love 7

8 minutes ago, chaotic life said:

I notified the Alabama Democratic Party and passed the info on to several friend who are on social media now that I am not. I have nothing more I can give to this one. Calling what I am trying to survive in the broken family court system of this state a nightmare is an insult to nightmares. Moore is a symptom. In this state, we still silence victims, believe charming liars and hurt vulnerable women and children because powerful white men with money are more valuable then their victims, especially when those victims struggle with disabilities.

I have nothing to offer you, but sympathy. And I can't say more than that I hope that people like you will continue fighting the causes, rather than the symptoms. Thank you for fighting the good fight!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 5

14 hours ago, fraurosena said:

By many accounts, poverty in the U.S. is worse than in most developed nations, despite rhetoric espoused by President Donald Trump and others who claim that the U.S. is the "best country in the world."

According to the Census Bureau, nearly 41 million people in the U.S. live in poverty. That's second-highest rate of poverty among rich countries, as measured by the percentage of people earning less than half the national median income, according to Quartz.

Yet we pay Omarosa $179,700** per year, for a job which nobody seems to be able to define.

**yes, I know it would take more than $179,700 to help poverty-stricken areas in the U. S., but how many other (salaried) White House jobs are similarly expendable?

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

I wasn't sure where to put this, but it's HILARIOUS! I can hardly breathe! 

20171214_222222.png

Also, Bill Mitchell is a piece of shit 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 24
  • Love 3

I'll tweet to him:  'I hear Bill Mitchell is the love child of Hillary Clinton. He lives in the crawl space under the Oval Office, and is the source of all leaks. Just reporting the rumor'. 

Really I should do this. Everybody should do this with their own made up shit.

'I hear Bill Mitchell is really a woman and carrying Alex Jones's baby.  He plans to raise it with his BFF Steve Bannon'.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 17

Seriously! This is 2017. Everyone has a camera with them at all times. If there was suspicious busing going on, someone would have recorded it and posted it on the internet.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2