IGNORED

Dillards 45: The Grift Goes On

Coconut Flan

34 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

boogery nose

Boogers and snot are two totally different issue. lol

Snot wipes off, but those damn boogers...

I carried the booger-sucker with us EVERYWHERE when GryffindorDisappointment was a babe. 

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Boogers and snot are two totally different issue. lol

Snot wipes off, but those damn boogers...

I carried the booger-sucker with us EVERYWHERE when GryffindorDisappointment was a babe. 

I called it the snot sucker.  I just call crusty nose a booger nose, I remember my smalls coming up to me saying 'Momma I gots a booger nose" and handing me a tissue or baby wipe because they just new it was easier to clean now vs when it was there for a while.  I picked my battles and crusty nose was one I fought. Mismatched clothes and messy hair not so much, unless we were going to church or Great Grandmas (she like young kids dressed nicely with clean faces and nice hair, she was in her late 80's we humored her).  I also realize that other moms picked different battles. I rolled with it and kept my thoughts to myself, since while it was annoying to me it really wasn't THAT important in the grand scheme of child rearing.

14 hours ago, ElToro said:

<snip>

As all the posters have previously said, it's the unwillingness of the government, and society in general, to even start looking at the stats, let alone the underlying context, that is so awful. They literally don't give a fuck that kids are dying.

A long time ago (when I was Catholic) I bought into the "seamless garment" argument for a consistent life ethic. As a matter of public policy, I think there are trade-offs. Such as...I support keeping abortion legal, but consider myself pro-life because I also support promoting and providing alternatives.  Pro-choice is not necessarily pro-abortion.  I see my position as no more contradictory than that of the ardent anti-abortionist who wants a complete ban on the medical procedure, but does not support publicly funded programs aimed at reducing infant mortality, improving maternal/child nutrition, access to healthcare (including birth control), awareness & prevention of child exploitation and abuse, etc., etc.

If we, as a society, took a good look at the stats and the research, we'd be forced into a conversation about income and resource equity--which is also part of a consistent life ethic.   We are too polarized to have this conversation, imo.  There's too much fear of the other, ingrained racism and zero-sum thinking that "if someone else gets something, I will lose out".  There are very powerful elites who benefit from dividing us into opposing camps of a culture war.  That's one reason I get distressed by conservative "Christians" like Derick taking up a political banner of diversion and division in the name of a faith that teaches me something very different about how to view the world and relate to people.   

14 hours ago, immodest_countenance said:

Current Catholic - We never miss mass either, including vacations, but if we have so much as a cold our asses are sitting at home on Sunday. It has less to do with how good you feel or don't feel and more to do with not spreading illness among some of the more vulnerable parishoners. What I can sleep off and take some nyquil for could be life-threatening to someone who is elderly, young, or has a weakened immune system. It betrays the virtue of charity to knowingly go to mass while sick

As it should be.

I now attend an Unitarian Univ. Fellowship where most of the congregation is quite elderly. If we're sick, even with a cold, we stay home. I don't want to expose that fragile population.

7 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

@VelociRapture Can you briefly summarise the sources you linked to? It is mainly genetic reasons why black babies are more often born prematurely or it is more social reasons (like racism induced stress that was mentioned earlier)? It is interesting in a sad way.

Samuel is so cute. He looks a wee bit like Spurgeon.  

I have a tiny person who demands my attention, which is why I simply left links to sources as requested by another poster. I can’t really summarize, but I’ll briefly add my personal thoughts:

I feel that there are a vast multitude of factors that contribute to the higher preterm birth rate among Black Mothers and that no single factor can completely explain why. I think it’s very much a combination of factors and that the combination can differ from person to person. I do feel very strongly though that racism plays a highly significant role in various ways - through wage inequalities (black women earn far less than their white counterparts) to the inability to obtain adequate health care to the stresses black men and women face on an everyday basis from a racist society among many others. 

Again, I want to stress I am in no way an expert in anything other than being a middle class white woman who had a preemie. I have no educational, professional, or personal experience as to the struggles that black women face and, as such, I feel like I’m not the best person to explain anything. 

1 hour ago, Drala said:

A long time ago (when I was Catholic) I bought into the "seamless garment" argument for a consistent life ethic. As a matter of public policy, I think there are trade-offs. Such as...I support keeping abortion legal, but consider myself pro-life because I also support promoting and providing alternatives.  Pro-choice is not necessarily pro-abortion.  I see my position as no more contradictory than that of the ardent anti-abortionist who wants a complete ban on the medical procedure, but does not support publicly funded programs aimed at reducing infant mortality, improving maternal/child nutrition, access to healthcare (including birth control), awareness & prevention of child exploitation and abuse, etc., etc.

I can pretty much guarantee you that no one who considers themselves pro-choice is pro-abortion. We would all be more than happy if we could stop having abortions today. We are just realists and know that that is not going to happen. All we can do as a society is improve health education, improve access to birth control (including Plan B), and then provide safe and affordable abortions for those who still need them.

This "pro-abortion" language is anti-choicer framing. Please don't repeat that. Again, no one WANTS abortions to happen. We just know that they will always happen, so we need to deal with this fact in the best way we can.

26 minutes ago, JillyO said:

This "pro-abortion" language is anti-choicer framing. Please don't repeat that. Again, no one WANTS abortions to happen. We just know that they will always happen, so we need to deal with this fact in the best way we can.

Exactly.  The whole 'late term abortion' issue is also one which ticks me off. I can't see anybody saying "Yippie!  I get to have an abortion" at 15+ weeks. It must be a gut wrenching thing to go through. Either something is horribly wrong with the fetus or the mother's life hangs in the balance.  Maybe even both. 

I don't like to post these days (wariness of those exploitive bastards from the inquisitr), but I really don't get all the hoopla about her washing the baby's hair with 'dish soap'? 

I know it's a while since I got out, but it was normal in the cp community we were in. My ration was one bar of fairy green soap a year for my eldest and me (well, reviewed at 12mts, more often than not the bits weren't small enough for replacement until 15-18mts.

The only thing that's ever surprised me (& yes, it is superficial) is how she manages to keep her hair so nice on that stuff. Mine was nearly always ratty. 

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

I watched a very interesting documentary a while back on the subject of late term abortion. I believe it was called 'After Tiller'? They did feature some cases where the woman in question simply did not want to have a baby and had waited till that point to make that decision. I have no idea how common that is, but it apparently does happen.

In some cases, there's also the pregnant woman knowing early on that she wants an abortion for whatever reason, but being unable to get it until after the first trimester because of lack of money, access, or both.

58 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

I don't like to post these days (wariness of those exploitive bastards from the inquisitr), but I really don't get all the hoopla about her washing the baby's hair with 'dish soap'? 

I know it's a while since I got out, but it was normal in the cp community we were in. My ration was one bar of fairy green soap a year for my eldest and me (well, reviewed at 12mts, more often than not the bits weren't small enough for replacement until 15-18mts.

The only thing that's ever surprised me (& yes, it is superficial) is how she manages to keep her hair so nice on that stuff. Mine was nearly always ratty. 

Dawn is typically used to cut excess grease (and strip unfortunate coloring/dying accidents). I'm sure they use regular shampoo, though. 

I missed dWRECK tweeting that Christianity is the most persecuted religion eva!!!11eleventy!!!!!

Shut up, fuck weasel.

54 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I missed dWRECK tweeting that Christianity is the most persecuted religion eva!!!11eleventy!!!!!

Shut up, fuck weasel.

Has he even heard of the Holocaust 

?

On 11/21/2017 at 10:20 AM, SassyPants said:

IMO, God gave us brains to think, hands and backs to work hard and professionals to aid us along the journey. A religion that just defaults to God, while ignoring all that God created and provided makes zero sense at all.

So are the Duggars seemingly on the dim and lazy side because of their religion? 

I want to quote this post over and over again.  So perfectly said. 

1 hour ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

?

I wouldn't be surprised if he were one of those people  that thought the holocaust was made up. :angry-jumpinganger:

4 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

?

Yep. But to him the term Holocaust probably only refers to the millions of babies that are aborted everyday in the USA. 

Damn. His ignorance.. sometimes I can't wrap my head around it.

1 hour ago, ophelia said:

Yep. But to him the term Holocaust probably only refers to the millions of babies that are aborted everyday in the USA. 

Damn. His ignorance.. sometimes I can't wrap my head around it.

I was going to say this. For these fuckwits the Holocaust is just an excuse to blather on about abortion.

And I guess if Christianity is the most persecuted religion, not being able to force your religion on others and dictate how people live is worse than being systematically slaughtered for your beliefs. 

I'll agree that Jill was foolish to attempt another home birth after Israel, but I don't agree that Jessa was foolish to have a home birth after Spurgeon. Jill's first delivery/labor was dramatic, Jessa's less so. 

21 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Shut up, fuck weasel.

Oh yeah?  Since when?  He should try being an atheist in the US. 

21 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

(Didn't mean to quote you and I don't know how to get rid of the box!)

Regarding Christian persecution, they forget about events like the Spanish Inquisition or the Crusades. History is full of Christians behaving badly. Being taught persecution is par for the course. As a child I was taught that, and I believed it until I learned history.

Also, Christianity is the default in the US. How are Christians being persecuted? Everything is about Christmas now that Thanksgiving is over. Guess what, Derick, not everyone celebrates. A person can wander about saying "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Easter" without anyone batting an eye. Businesses and the government close for such holidays. They do not for Hanukkah or Eid or any other religious observations, and saying "Happy Hanukkah" or "Eid Mubarak" will make people take pause in most places. Not so with Christian holidays.

yes those specific eras of history have given us some of the creepiest torture devices.  Not to mention things like witch trials and I could go on and on; the bottom line is there are good people and bad people in every group.

We really need a history club!

I grew up/still live in a very Jewish area so I actually had the opposite growing up and assumed it was like this in the real world till I left for college and really got to learn about "Christians being persecuted".But even as a Christian and growing up I was still confused as to why they would call this.

On 23/11/2017 at 1:46 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I have to admit the fan licking didn't bother me so much as I had a licker baby/toddler #2 licked/chewed on everything Dear Rufus, when she was about 3 I was at Sam's club and looking at something in the meat counter and there is miss thang dragging her tongue down the meat cooler. I remember shrieking at her DON'T LICK THAT! Then thought to myself "that is number 327 on my list of things I never thought I'd say". When my sisters kids started doing weird shit I just shook my head and said "welcome to motherhood the land of weird things"

If you can believe it the child didn't get sick, and rarely does, I attribute it to her licking nasty things like grocery carts and meat counters, no matter how hard I tried she was a persistent sneaky little thing.  

Snot much like shit happens. Though a boogery nose was/is a pet peeve of mine, those kids that ALWAYS have a crusty boogery nose, so nasty. Especially now when they have Booger wipes, we used to have to use baby wipes or a wet rag to keep that thing clean.

What are booger wipes, and do they differ in any way apart from packaging and marketing from baby wipes? As the mother of a 2 year old born almost 10 years after my previous child this information may be life changing.

Since we're back on this, I feel compelled to tell you all that I do not do snot. I grew up riding horses and I have a strong stomach and don't get squeamish easily, but there's just something about snot running down a kiddos face that gets me. Blood, puke, poop, pee, I'm your woman. Kid that has bad allergies and is snotting everywhere? No, you're gonna have to find someone else for that job. :shrug:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived