IGNORED

JinJer 28: Guns & Roses

Destiny

On 2017-07-22 at 0:28 PM, MadeItOut said:

@elliha thanks for sharing. I love snippets of culture!

I'm trying to work out how our home would be described in Sweden then? We live in a converted stable (well, tack room), so upstairs we have two bedrooms that double as our studies as well, that's it for rooms that count, but we have a bathroom up there too, then downstairs there's the hall, which has the washing machine in a little recess, and a cubbyhole under the stairs we're building a pantry in, then one big room that's kitchen at one end, living room at the other end. ...so am I right, under your system would that be counted as a three room house?

Yes I believe so. Houses are often also described with square metres because they differ more in room size and style than apartments. Apartments built in the 60s and 70s in particular as you could get different government grants and loans provided you followed different specifications. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Its always the first thing people mention, but maybe because they don't always realise that we also have Rembrandt, van Gogh, Gouda and Edam.

Although I'm also not a big fan if they start to mention those, since the pronunciation is usually butchered :my_dodgy: especially when it comes to Gouda and van Gogh

The latter feels impossible to say well. Hopefully I wouldn't be judged for my struggle; certain sounds that we're used to from birth are difficult for others to replicate much later on.

As to what people might mention, all those things plus tulips would come before marijuana for me, as that just isn't something I ever give any thought to. Next, or possibly actually first would be whichever singer gave such a divine interpretation to the Duck Tales theme song. I have most of them, I think but the Dutch is my favorite. I am aware that Dutch has only a portion of the language share over there.

By the way, I read once that The Netherlands area-wise is about the size of Maryland. Makes it easier to picture.

20 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Although I'm also not a big fan if they start to mention those, since the pronunciation is usually butchered :my_dodgy: especially when it comes to Gouda and van Gogh

That remindes me of the time I got into an argument with an American woman about how to pronounce Van Gogh.

She kept insisting it was 'van gooo'. 

Right lady because I don't know how to pronounce the name of my fellow countryman. 

But hey what do I know? She did take art history classes in college after all. :BLAZER:

My husband works in The Netherlands and loves it there. We've been over to him a few times and where he is seems like a really nice and safe place to live. I'm a big fan of bitterballen and that really, REALLY hard cheese (I can't remember the name of it) that you need all your teeth for that they give you with beer. Also, Sinterklaas rocks.... not so sure about poor Pete, I feel he has drawn the short straw ;)

I would love to learn Dutch. Since I speak Swedish and have studied German in school I can understand some of it in writing but not that much spoken. 

Someone I know lived in Holland for 4 years. For the half year she only spoke English there and didn't really try to learn the language but of course she noticed that she had picked up a word here and there. However, after about 6 months she was at a New Years party and there was a heated discussion about politics and she got very upset with the views of one of the guys there. The discussion had started in English but had progressed into Dutch without anyone including her really noticing. Finally she got fed up with the guy and just screamed "No, you are wrong!" and suddenly the whole room got quiet. She thought she had just been very loud but the reason everyone quieted down was that she was suddenly speaking in Dutch, not just that phrase but she had continued to speak in Dutch to the guy some more. She had somehow learned Dutch almost subconciously.

7 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

The latter feels impossible to say well. Hopefully I wouldn't be judged for my struggle; certain sounds that we're used to from birth are difficult for others to replicate much later on.

As to what people might mention, all those things plus tulips would come before marijuana for me, as that just isn't something I ever give any thought to. Next, or possibly actually first would be whichever singer gave such a divine interpretation to the Duck Tales theme song. I have most of them, I think but the Dutch is my favorite. I am aware that Dutch has only a portion of the language share over there.

By the way, I read once that The Netherlands area-wise is about the size of Maryland. Makes it easier to picture.

According to Wikipedia it is about 1,5 times Maryland and about 3x the population. 

I do realise we are super small compared to the US, but it is kind of annoying some times when all people know about your culture is weed, tulips and Amsterdam. Then it would be better if they just knew nothing :my_biggrin:

But it is good to read that quite some people here actually know some Dutch culture :-)

Edit: I'm reading on US states sizes now and it is funny to see that,if the Netherlands were a US state, on size we would be 42nd but on population we would be 5th :my_biggrin:

6 hours ago, Stokstaartje said:

That remindes me of the time I got into an argument with an American woman about how to pronounce Van Gogh.

She kept insisting it was 'van gooo'. 

Right lady because I don't know how to pronounce the name of my fellow countryman. 

But hey what do I know? She did take art history classes in college after all. :BLAZER:

Have you seen that snippet from Rich Hall's standup show on how it would be if someone from his neck of the woods was an art professor?

My family is Dutch-American and being Dutch is a really big deal to them. There's a (mostly joking) saying that, "If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much." Some of my ancestors immigrated as early as the 1800's but they moved into communities with other Dutch immigrants and kept on speaking Dutch and marrying other Dutch people. Some of the little towns in Wisconsin still have street signs in Dutch.

My great-grandmother's family emigrated from the Netherlands in the 20th century and my great-grandmother only spoke Frisian until she went to school. She married someone who spoke a different Dutch dialect and didn't speak anything but English for many decades, but apparently in her last few months of life she started speaking Fries again.

18 hours ago, elliha said:

I would love to learn Dutch. Since I speak Swedish and have studied German in school I can understand some of it in writing but not that much spoken. 

Someone I know lived in Holland for 4 years. For the half year she only spoke English there and didn't really try to learn the language but of course she noticed that she had picked up a word here and there. However, after about 6 months she was at a New Years party and there was a heated discussion about politics and she got very upset with the views of one of the guys there. The discussion had started in English but had progressed into Dutch without anyone including her really noticing. Finally she got fed up with the guy and just screamed "No, you are wrong!" and suddenly the whole room got quiet. She thought she had just been very loud but the reason everyone quieted down was that she was suddenly speaking in Dutch, not just that phrase but she had continued to speak in Dutch to the guy some more. She had somehow learned Dutch almost subconciously.

This basically happened to me when I lived in the Netherlands. I think it is close enough to English and German that I picked it up without realising. One day I was at a conference for work with all Dutch colleagues, and they were making comments about the (British) boss's son. I joined in without thinking, and surprised myself and my colleagues that I was speaking Dutch. I'm sure I make my fair share of grammar mistakes still, but my Dutch is far more competent than my French, which I studied in school from the age of 7-18 and lived there for half a year, and definitely superior to my German. 

Shamless plug: I will be going to the Netherlands in January for an undetermined amount of time (between 2-5 days) so anyone living there or familiar with the country, would you be so kind as to PM me any restaurant recommendations/must sees/must dos/any other advice at all? Thanks in advanced from an enthusiastic American :my_biggrin:

Not sure if I should screenshot from Pickles page or not, but in the last album she posted yesterday, there is a picture of JinJer, and Jinger is wearing a sleeveless top, pants and heels. She looks super cute, age approprite, and not at all like a Duggar! :boom:

I wonder what her family is saying?

2 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Shamless plug: I will be going to the Netherlands in January for an undetermined amount of time (between 2-5 days) so anyone living there or familiar with the country, would you be so kind as to PM me any restaurant recommendations/must sees/must dos/any other advice at all? Thanks in advanced from an enthusiastic American :my_biggrin:

I tried to send you a message but it is my first so I hope it worked.

@front hugs > duggs will you be in Amsterdam? I was there on a 24 hour layover about ten years ago, and did a whirlwind tour. If I remember correctly, we bought some kind of tourist pass at the airport, and took a train to Amsterdam. We rode a canal boat, went to the Van Gogh museum, went through the Anne Frank house, and took the trolley to the red light district.  I don't remember where we ate. And we went to a flower market...but we were too late for the tulips. 

29 minutes ago, Dubiousclaire said:

Not sure if I should screenshot from Pickles page or not, but in the last album she posted yesterday, there is a picture of JinJer, and Jinger is wearing a sleeveless top, pants and heels. She looks super cute, age approprite, and not at all like a Duggar! :boom:

I wonder what her family is saying?

Yes super cute!!

The image came from their photographer friend:

Ah, Amsterdam, beautiful city with lots to see. When I was backpacking Europe solo I fell in with an Aussie, a Kiwi and a Canadian in Bruges and changed hostels in Amsterdam since we all had similar itineraries. Didn't really understand what the Red Light district was until we got there, our hostel was above one of the establishments and used the same door. I was the only girl in a twelve bed mixed dorm and most of the guys went nuts experimenting with whatever they could get their hands on. The Aussie and I ended up trading bunks so I would be on top because a Bulgarian guy was so out of it he kept trying to hire me or get in my bed and the Kiwi guy really enjoyed kicking him off the ladder as he tried to climb up to the very top.

On languages, you do pick them up and if you're not stressing over grammar slip into it. I'd been in Rome about four months before my parents visited and didn't realize I was handling all of their stuff in Italian. Strangely enough when traveling in Cyprus and Israel I found using Russian was much easier than American English, and you got better prices for taxis and things like that. Despite the fact my Russian is nearly unintelligible, mix a southern drawl, having intensive Russian with an Estonian TA and well... it basically sounds like Scottish brogue. 

Yes, absolutely. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that she is pregnant now that I have seen a black and white photo of her from the torso up!

(Seriously, I never know what people see in those pictures that make them so certain someone is pregnant. :pb_lol:)

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

Yes, absolutely. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that she is pregnant now that I have seen a black and white photo of her from the torso up!

(Seriously, I never know what people see in those pictures that make them so certain someone is pregnant. :pb_lol:)

You didn't get your magical pregnancy spotting x-ray specs on the post? I'm sure I posted them on Friday. 

Wow. People are really jumping to conclusions. I hope Jinger isn't bothered or offended by random people saying she 'looks pregnant' or 'chubby'. I really don't see it. Also, I  think I remember hearing speculation of Jinger having an eating disorder. I'd hate to think that comments on her weight/appearance could be feeding body dysmorphia.

Looks like she's having fun with fashion and accessories. I feel like all the shiny stuff is competing for attention, but like seeing her have fun with her appearance.

Oh good grief. Pregnancy speculation from a torso shot is just OTT - Jinger is a Duggar. It's like Schrodinger's uterus with any female member of this family at any given time. 

That said, their living depends on telling us personal details of their lives. I'm sure the Babes won't hesitate to inflict news of their godly spawning upon us at their earliest convenience. Speculation is just pointless.

I can't get over how elegant and chic Jinger looks these days. She's always been the best dresser in her family, but the new clothing budget and lack of J'chelle and Boob's input really has her looking her best.

4 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I was scrolling through some comments on her IG one day, there is a photo of Jeremy as a kid, and someone commented the picture meant she was pregnant because she was imagining what her child would look like.

On 7/26/2017 at 8:46 AM, Palindrome said:

it's kind of sad to think though that if Jeremy was against Jinger wearing pants as per Gothard's inane and outdated standards, than she'd still be in dresses and maxi skirts. This "authority" stuff is just fuuuuuuucked. 

Or maybe she wouldn't, because maybe in all their "courtship" conversations Jinger was honest with Jeremy and told him what she planned to do once she left mom and dad's. These girls have had enough people in their lives and seen enough of the world to know they don't have to stay the exact path of their parents. Some will some won't, some might even find a wackier path to travel.

18 minutes ago, keepsweet said:

Or maybe she wouldn't, because maybe in all their "courtship" conversations Jinger was honest with Jeremy and told him what she planned to do once she left mom and dad's. These girls have had enough people in their lives and seen enough of the world to know they don't have to stay the exact path of their parents. Some will some won't, some might even find a wackier path to travel.

That's a really interesting idea because i'm wondering how'd it go:

"Baaaaaaabe, as soon as you get me out of here, i have this really cute pinterest outfit i'd like to put together. It has...pants. Let's pray."

The aspect i like most about Jinger is you finally have a Duggar kid who, while still maintaining modesty and faith, can choose to go against her upbringing and wear pants. It would be super interesting to hear her discuss how she came to the conclusion of wearing pants. Like, did you always know that once you got out of the house, you'd wear pants? Or is this something you figured out after you got married?

And if you go against your parents with the whole pants thing, is there anything else that you disagree with?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived