IGNORED

JinJer 28: Guns & Roses

Destiny

15 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

It is amazing what you can do when you take time and effort into your personal appearance. Versus how some random perv who runs the cult thinks you should look.

We should probably remember that Jeremy is now the one controlling her look.  Better than a random perv, but still... Remember during the engagement period, when Jinger was suddenly wearing floral everything, since Jeremy liked floral prints? I think he's got a hand in her styling, due to his status as the headship and her desire to please him, just as she's been trained since birth to defer to the man in charge.

While her outfits are cute,  I think it's crucially important to remember that she and Jeremy are still involved in and actively evangelizing a highly restrictive, patriarchal religion that doesn't believe in equal rights for women or LGBTQIA+ people.  They are willing to legislate away the rights of others due to their beliefs, and they'd like you to do the same. They happily traipse abroad for mission-cations to convert Catholics and fetishize children in orphanages.  

TL;DR: Jinger is cute AF, but she and Jeremy still hold horrible views and seek to inflict a restrictive and dysfunctional lifestyle upon others via legislation.  Don't fall for it!

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, seraaa said:

Looks like they're visiting Arkansas (or did recently). Jinjer posted pictures of the Capitol on Instagram

Spoiler

This has to be old, they are wearing warm jackets.  I'm not sure what the temp was in Little Rock this past weekend, but it was in the low 70's about 8 hours north of them and mid 80's 8 hours east of them.  Can't have been cold enough for long pants, knee boots and winter coats.

1 minute ago, amandaaries said:

We should probably remember that Jeremy is now the one controlling her look.  Better than a random perv, but still... Remember during the engagement period, when Jinger was suddenly wearing floral everything, since Jeremy liked floral prints? I think he's got a hand in her styling, due to his status as the headship and her desire to please him, just as she's been trained since birth to defer to the man in charge.

I do as well but only to a degree, remember Jinger was always into fashion, but her parents wouldn't allow her to be beyond this very narrow list of clothing.  I do wonder if it isn't more Jeremy & his mom & sister just giving her tips on what would look good on her and what is fashionable vs picking out clothing and saying "wear this".  She's never had the ability to go out and just buy something that fit her that SHE liked, she had to buy things that were shapless and would aslo fit her 3 or 4 other sisters.  And whist still a Duggar she could wear "what ever she wanted as long as it was a loose long skirt, loose high neck top/t-shirt, w/ a minimum of a cap sleeve, and if the top wasn't high enough on the neck you must wear something under it Or a long loose fitting dress that goes from your clavicles to just below your knees with a minimum of a cap sleeve, and that was it. They could throw a scarf, cardigan, sweater,  or jacket over the top of any combo of these but that is adding more layers to keep warm more than to be stylish. Her only real freedom was accessories, and she did that up much more than the other 4 combined. 

We all know they had their own way all along, Jinger would have always looked as she does now. Jana would probably be very similar to what she wears now but would throw some trousers or jeans into the mix.  Jessa would be wearing short tight shirts skirts and dresses, as well as jeans and shorts.  Joy would be running around in jeans and tshirts or shorts and tshirts either with cowgirl boots, flip flops or barefoot. Jill, not sure if she would have embrace the dirty Jesus Hippy look she's trying to look with DerWreck, or if she would just be a hot mess of its clean it is comfortable and it fits woman.

We all know they had their own way all along, Jinger would have always looked as she does now.

Do we know this, though?  It seems pretty speculative, since we don't see their true desires.  Everything is filtered through the religious ideas and orders of their headship/s.  Remember those floral dresses from the courtship-engagement period?  If Jeremy had liked that, I suspect she'd still look like a curtain. Instead, he's fashionable, so she gets to indulge...just like how she's learning to enjoy books because he did. If he didn't support it, she'd still be in frumpers. 

Regardless of how they dress, I still think it's important to look into their hateful hearts.  That's what they're really trying to spread -- not any kind of Christian love, but legalism, judgment, and condemnation for those whose views are different. 

I'm always really torn about the clothes topic when it comes up.

On one hand I firmly believe that a woman has every right in the world to dress the way she wants and makes her feel comfortable. I'm not going to stop wearing yoga pants because someone thinks they are "immodest or distracting". Nor do I judge other women because their style is different than what I would personally wear. 

On the other hand I think fashion, intentional or not, is a huge part of self-expression. I think how a person dresses and the clothes they buy indirectly says a lot about them. Are they minimalist or experimental and bold. Do they gravitate towards classical or trendier styles? Is their color palette bright and colorful, or more neutral and muted? Do they prefer more feminine or masculine looks? Casual or formal? 

So while I don't think the wardrobe update means that the vuolos will suddenly start waving rainbow flags, it does mean SOMETHING might be changing for the better. Sure she may have never moved on from the frumpers if it weren't for Jeremy, but it could mean that he's encouraging her to have the courage to express herself in new ways. Its better than forcing her to continue wearing frumpy clothes because hes jealous other men might notice.

6 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

She said awhile back she dresses as her family does when she's visiting them out of respect (*cough* JimBob insists)

I don't remember her ever saying that. However I do remember Whitney Bates  stating that she wouldn't wear pants when visiting the in-laws or during filming out of respect to Gil and Kelly.

What is all this bullshit about the 'frumpy' clothes Jinger used to wear before Jeremy swooped in and saved her with cute heels or whatever? What the hell? They haven't worn frumpers in over a decade. Are they supposed to look like Kate Middleton 24/7? Do you think they have a live-in team of stylists? I'd love to see what you all look like on a day-to-day basis. Must be something else. You must look in the mirror every morning and thank your lucky stars that you're not like Jessa, who somehow apparently manages to be disgustingly frumpy and unforgivably vain all at once!

I guess this is an unpopular opinion, but I liked Jinger's 'old style' better. She had a sort of quirky bohemian thing going on, and she seemed to really enjoy it. She looks nice now, sure, but she looked nice before, too. Now she looks like every other fashion-conscious, well-to-do millennial conservative Christian. That's fine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. I just hope that she's changing her style because it's something she wants to do and not because she's a meek follower anxious to impress her worldly husband and his sophisticated family.

Yes, I miss Jinger's old style too. She does look fab in some of her newer look, and I am glad she has the chance to explore fashion if that is what she wishes. But Jinger's original look was so cute and stylish, and it really suited her well. I always loved her look before , and even though that style wouldn't suit me personally, i preferred her choices compared to her sisters. Minus the orange and eyeliner. 

8 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Is she wearing a dark tee shirt under the sweater, visible at the neck, or is that just an odd shadow?

Could they photoshop something to cover up a hickie.......maybe?

@singsingsing

I wasn't trying to imply that Jeremey swooped in and saved her with a cute pair of heels and a pair of shorts. For the record, other than the kinda weird modesty rules, I don't really have issues with how most of the duggars choose to dress. Actually I think many of their outfits, both of the married and unmarried girls, can be pretty cute that I would totally wear myself. I can't even snark on their casual or loungewear, wear what makes you feel good. IMO the only real snarkable pieces of clothing that they own are those strange christian graphic tees.

I think frumpy might have been the wrong word to use. I just wanted point out, for whatever reason, good or bad, Jinger's style has changed from bohemianish to preppish, which tends to have a more fitted, tailored look. Whatever Jinger chooses to wear is a form of her own self expression. She chose to wear shorts. She chose to wear a sleeveless dress. She didn't have to do any of that, but she did. I'm not saying either style is better or worse, its just a noticable difference. For someone who seems to not like being the center of attention, It takes a bit of courage to dress in a way you know is going to get people talking.

I think Jinger had to buy more clothing because she moved farther away from the compound.  I think the girls who are living near there still share quite a bit, and they have Hannah growing up fast who will no doubt inherit some of those grown up girl's hand me downs.  Jill, who seemed less into clothing than the others, probably didn't care too much about what to take to hot CA.  So Jinger probably had to supplement her wardrobe the most.  And, I do think Jeremy likes fashion and clothing.  We have no idea if he is directing her choices, or just that fashion is an interest they both share, and a way that they bond together.  Jinger did have a cute bohemian style before she married, but, it could also be that she had limited resources that she could use to 'dress' up her plain wardrobe and now she is trying out new things.  Plus, Jinger's bohemian style was cute for an older teen look, and now I think she is dressing appropriate for her age, and for her role as "preacher's wife".  (It seems unlikely she is working outside of her home in any other capacity than Preacher's wife.)  

Plus there is a concept called dressing for the job you would want to have, not the one you have.  And I think Jeremy and Jinger want him to be a successful preacher with a growing church.  Texas loves those Prosperity ministers like Joel Osteen, and I think that Jeremy would love to grow a church like that.  Not saying he is a prosperity preacher, but I just mean the idea of growing a church and becoming somewhat of a celebrity minister.  I think he wants that.  I don't think he plans to be working out of that rinky dink church forever.  So he and Jinger are dressing for their future, imo.  

15 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

My guess is up meeting Sam for the first time. If that's not one of their engagement photos it would explain the skirt and return to crunchy hair. She said awhile back she dresses as her family does when she's visiting them out of respect (*cough* JimBob insists)

It's not "sweater weather" in Arkansas now. Jeremy did a huge photo dump of older pics. The soccer one was from 2015, others from last  year. The sweater one was likely from last winter. 

Jeremy seems like the type that would dictate his meek wife's wardrobe, tbh. I'm sure Jinger likes it too, but I feel like most of it is probably a nudge from Jeremy. 

It's also possible that her mother in law and sister in law went shopping for Jinger. They seem to have a preppy ish style, and perhaps they got her a few things that they thought she might like.

My sister shops for me (jewelry only, thank God) and we do not have similar tastes. But I have to wear it so she can see I've worn it..

12 hours ago, Imaginary_Wonderland said:

Yes, I miss Jinger's old style too. She does look fab in some of her newer look, and I am glad she has the chance to explore fashion if that is what she wishes. But Jinger's original look was so cute and stylish, and it really suited her well. I always loved her look before , and even though that style wouldn't suit me personally, i preferred her choices compared to her sisters. Minus the orange and eyeliner. 

She was a child and a teenager then.  She is a married woman whose husband wanted to mold her.  He did. 

1 hour ago, nst said:

She was a child and a teenager then.  She is a married woman whose husband wanted to mold her.  He did. 

When she was a child and teenager JB and Gothard molded her...Yes, they did.

Just now, SassyPants said:

When she was a child and teenager JB and Gothard molded her...Yes, they did.

also Jessa molded her don't forget her sister 

Jinger is a molder who goes through hands 

All of this talk of fashion has got me thinking. If Mr. Museum ever dictated what I could and couldn't wear, I would tell him to shove it up his ass. Also, this is the same man who recently bought a neon pair of orange dress pants from Ralph Lauren. Kill me.

1 minute ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

All of this talk of fashion has got me thinking. If Mr. Museum ever dictated what I could and couldn't wear, I would tell him to shove it up his ass. Also, this is the same man who recently bought a neon pair of orange dress pants from Ralph Lauren. Kill me.

I reframed from being a BEC, but I  since you opened the box,  if Jeremy is truly fashion focused, he really needs to get help with his own fashion.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I reframed from being a BEC, but I  since you opened the box,  if Jeremy is truly fashion focused, he really needs to get help with his own fashion.

Yeah that preppy, hipster, serious conservative pastor look he's trying to give is kind of all over the place. Its like pick a style and try to stick too it. 2 of these things might work well together, but one if them sticks out like a single mother in the Duggar house.

6 hours ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

What does one wear with neon orange dress pants? Inquiring minds would like to know. :P 

Mr. Four is a very conservative dresser. He wouldn't look out of place at an undertaker's convention. That is, if a grey suit was allowed. He doesn't have a black suit, but, boy, am I tired of that grey suit!

ETA: I dress quite a bit funkier than he.. brighter colors, prints, etc. 

9 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Mr. Four is a very conservative dresser. He wouldn't look out of place at an undertaker's convention. That is, if a grey suit was allowed. He doesn't have a black suit, but, boy, am I tired of that grey suit!

ETA: I dress quite a bit funkier than he.. brighter colors, prints, etc. 

I think my husband wore a black suit, white shirt and red tie every work day between 1990-2000.

The company he works for now allows jeans- it took him awhile to accept the culture { average age for the workers is 33- yep, he is old enough to be their ...}- LOL.

When my hubby and I first married, we enjoyed shopping for clothes together.  I would pick out stuff for him and he would pick out stuff for me.  I never felt like he was forcing his taste on me, but it was nice that he was interested and I appreciated his feedback.  To this day we consult each other on clothing if we are going to an event or something. 

So,  I don't have a problem if Jeremy is influencing Jinger's fashion choice.  What I have an issue with is that based on his own sermon,  he seems to feel he is entitled to determine if a woman's wardrobe is appropriate or not, and that he seems to agree that it is a woman's fault if a man is excited  by her appearance.  This is dangerous thinking and plays into rape culture. 

And yes,  Jinger is getting some of her horizon's broadened since she left the compound, but it seems like any freedoms that Jinger has now, are 'granted' to her by her benevolent headship.  We don't know this to be the case, but it seems likely. 

I am hopeful that as Jinger sees more of the world away from the TTH,  that on her own she will begin to push her boundaries.  And my hope is that Jeremy will support this.  He may have entered this relationship with a plan to be a headship, but he may end up finding Jinger more interesting and stimulating if she evolves to be more of her own woman. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived