Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Don't know that one,  but do you remember "Round and round the garden"?

I do!

One of my favourite memories of no2 son as a toddler (around 18 months iirc) is of him sitting in his cot early (always early with him:my_rolleyes:) one morning singing it to himself and giggling helplessly as he tickled himself under the arm. His version usually went straight from "Round and round the garden" to "tickle under there".:my_biggrin:

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

Dwight! :my_heart: I miss them so much!  Bears, beets, ...

Rule 17: Don't turn your back on bears, men you have wronged or the dominant turkey during mating season.

There are 40 rules all Schrute boys must learn before the age of five.

"Learn your rules, you better learn your rules. If you don't you'll be eaten in your sleep!"

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I have to admit that something about Austin really rubs me the wrong way. I get a bad vibe from him. I hope it's mostly just because he's really uncomfortable and stiff in front of the cameras or something. I really want my impression of him to be wrong.

I get that vibe too.  He seems very controlling and overly dominant (not sure if that makes sense).  I know that's how he's raised, and all that, but it especially comes across in him all the time.  I don't see it in Bin or even that idiot Derek.  Austin creeps me out more than the rest of the fundie men, Duggars included (well, not including Josh-he's in a whole other dimension of vile).  

14 hours ago, Fun Undies said:

My favorite was him reading "strewwelpeter" to the visiting kids.  Neither my husband, nor my mom's therapist, could believe that was a real children's book.  Only German's lol!

( en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Struwwelpeter )

Ha! Thanks for sharing this; had never heard of it before.

1 hour ago, merg429 said:

I remember the first part, there may have been more verses. I grew up in and still live in Boston and you don't want to fall in when you hot trot to Lynn!

Hot Trot to Boston

Hot Trot to Lynn

Watch out baby

Don't fall in!

Huh, I think my version is different, I don't remember any other verses and I'm sure we didn't have a verse about Lynn.

On 7/10/2017 at 7:27 PM, HarleyQuinn said:

Wait, did Josiah say a boy has to pick up the slack in the courtship department?

The irony.

To take the pressure off his past and future self.

On 7/11/2017 at 3:15 AM, Lurky said:

ETA And how Duggar is it that they're colonising public space with all this generator + cookout stuff + camera crew, and stopping other people enjoying the land?

If it's BLM land they probably wouldn't need a permit and it's first come first serve, to my knowledge. I think there is plenty of space for everyone where they are, that's not to say that people don't run into each other. We have similar wilderness areas here in Canada and it's etiquette not to interfere with others space while hiking. For example, coming to a clearing or a lookout and finding other people there it is common to just say hi and pass by and leave them be. But if you're trying to have an intimate moment with your SO, let alone an elaborate proposal even that would be an unwelcome intrusion. I think what Austin was getting at was that it would be awkward if that were to happen right in the middle of his proposal.

Did they really have a generator? What for? Can't they use a propane bbq? 

On 7/11/2017 at 9:20 AM, Fluffy14 said:

Am I the only one who found the snot on the sofa completely revolting?

I can understand about how the sofa can get a little snotty or how the house falls apart with two young kids, but I  just can't for the life of me figure out who thought that would be interesting TV!

15 hours ago, Fun Undies said:

I know we got some Office viewers here ~ I loved whenever they did the any German backstories for Dwight (they were always spot on!).  My favorite was him reading "strewwelpeter" to the visiting kids.  Neither my husband, nor my mom's therapist, could believe that was a real children's book.  Only German's lol!

I studied German for about 4 years while I was dating a German man, and my German penpal sent me a book of Grimm's Fairy tales in German. It was a modern book with very cutesy illustrations in it made for young children called, "Mein erstes Märchenbuch" (My First Fairytale Book). When I first received it I was a bit disappointed because I had wanted the original stories. Because I couldn't understand the stories fluently, I asked my bf to look through it and let me know if they were the original stories, and he read to me the story of the Sternmädchen (Starmaiden), who is basically so generous she gives away everything she has until she dies alone and naked in the snow. After he finished reading the stories he said, "Yup, these are the originals!"

So I'm gone from this site for a while and in the meantime the threads progress faster than poor Jill's labor... :P 

About languages (because I just have to eh...brag?): Apart from my mother tongue (Swedish) I've studied six. Finnish, English, German, French, Finnish sign language and Fennoswedish sign language.  The two first ones from primary school onwards, and German from secondary school to when I dropped it in high school. No regrets about that although I think it's a beautiful language. I can still read it and understand the big picture; it's pretty similar to Swedish. 

And to be fair, the sign languages mentioned above are pretty similar to each other and it was just one course in high school, I only remember like 20 signs and how to say "my name is..." Also I only took one semester of French so I know the basics of the basics of that language, nothing more. I find it hard to keep up with languages but I need Finnish and English in my day-to-day life so I'm focusing on developing them even more, I'm more or less fluent in them. Not because I love learning languages - it's a pain in the ass sometimes - but because of necessity. Monolingual as a small child, trilingual today to get by ;) I don't think I even know more than a handful of people who don't speak at least two different languages. My "trilinguality" is seen as normal; I know people who master 4 or 5 languages without any problems. Kinda jealous of them! 

Sorry to interrupt. I just watched the last episode and I really wanted to say I found the last 5 minutes the most interesting, only because of Pastor Caldwell. :my_heart:

Off to the prayer closet I go. 

Carry on.

8 hours ago, ladybug15 said:

Actually, it annoys me that they are making Brother's Grimm stories PC, and HC Andersen as well. I grew up on them. My grandma told us that Baba Yaga would come from the chimney and take us if we didnt behave;)

Yo baba yaga doesn't play! She appears out of all sorts of places! :pb_lol:

The sister's in my Cinderella cut off pieces of the feet to fit that shoe.

The birds cried, "Prithee look back, there's blood on the track.  The true bride's back home."

Fairy tales are sissified nowadays.

18 minutes ago, Greendoor said:

The sister's in my Cinderella cut off pieces of the feet to fit that shoe.

The birds cried, "Prithee look back, there's blood on the track.  The true bride's back home.

And don't the birds blind the stepsisters too? And wasn't Little Mermaid encouraged to murder the prince by her sisters? 

Not everyone lived happily ever after....

5 hours ago, evolutionbaby said:

......and he read to me the story of the Sternmädchen (Starmaiden), who is basically so generous she gives away everything she has until she dies alone and naked in the snow. After he finished reading the stories he said, "Yup, these are the originals!"

I apologize for my ignorance but is the moral of the story encouraging or discouraging the idea of giving to others...

Also, I oddly want to hear more German Fairy Tales...

I can understand about how the sofa can get a little snotty or how the house falls apart with two young kids, but I  just can't for the life of me figure out who thought that would be interesting TV!

Every time I watch the show, I say, "The producers hate these people." Maybe they're trying to make them relatable, but if that were truly the case, the producers would have them get jobs. 

he read to me the story of the Sternmädchen (Starmaiden), who is basically so generous she gives away everything she has until she dies alone and naked in the snow. 

Someone should have read this to me as a child. I am Starmaiden. 

The fairy tale and folklore conversation always gets to me. I also love the Grimm stories, but they are NOT "the originals." The cool thing about these tales is that there ARE no originals. Stories with these themes and even very similar details were passed down orally for hundreds of years in many cultures before being written down. I studied this for quite a while, in depth. Even the Grimm versions were "watered down."

10 hours ago, bananabread said:

The Dullards' plan for if something goes wrong with Jill's pregnancy in Sintral Amurrrrica terrified me. The plan was basically "seek some kind of medical care and hope we can make it back to the states in time." Seriously?! There are women who hemorrhage and bleed to death at 5 or 6 months along. What if she had gone into early labor? What if she'd had a uterine rupture? I don't understand how D-wreck thought that was acceptable. No WAY would future-Mr. bananabread take me into an environment like that while pregnant. Does D-wreck not want to work a 9-5 job THAT badly?

I was thinking the same thing. Derick is casually all, "we'll get help immediately if needed." IMMEDIATE ISN'T HOURS AWAY, DUMBASS. 

18 minutes ago, luxfilia said:

Even the Grimm versions were "watered down."

What the shit were they watered down from?? :shock:

My family does "this is the way the lady/gentleman/farmer rides" and "round and round the garden" too. I have no idea where they come from.

13 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

What the shit were they watered down from?? :shock:

Oral tradition which means that they weren't really for children. Children could hear them but there was more sexual innuendo and they were pretty gruesome. They were also very, very, very long. In those days, these stories were really the only entertainment that people had and they often couldn't read nor write, so there was no one to record these tales. 

The Grimm brothers and people like them recorded the stories because they thought that came from the upper classes of society. That they were a sign of what life was like and that they were now in the "peasant" class because they were so far behind the richer but these people were losing them as well. Their tales are well recorded and it's good for folklorists and people who study that area. However, much of these tales were lost. We only have ideas from the tales that have been recorded to what they may have been like. 

*Folklorist cap off* :P 

9 hours ago, merg429 said:

I remember the first part, there may have been more verses. I grew up in and still live in Boston and you don't want to fall in when you hot trot to Lynn!

Hot Trot to Boston

Hot Trot to Lynn

Watch out baby

Don't fall in!

Yes! Our version didn't have anything to do with Boston, but it was:

Trot, trot to market

To get a pound of butter

Trot, trot home again

Drop it in the gutter!

ETA: Also "this is the way the ladies/gentlemen/farmers ride!"

21 hours ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

Dwight! :my_heart: I miss them so much!  Bears, beets, ...

....Battlestar Gallactica 

(I'm doing an Office rewatch right now. :my_biggrin:)

By the way, I had never heard of "bachelor to the rapture" until I saw it referenced on FJ, but I heard it in real life last week. An older man was reminiscing about his time at Bible college and said that "bachelor to the rapture" was a common phrase used by the women at the college about the men there, with the implication that the men there were too odd to be marriage material. :pb_lol:

4 hours ago, kachuu said:

I apologize for my ignorance but is the moral of the story encouraging or discouraging the idea of giving to others...

Also, I oddly want to hear more German Fairy Tales...

I think the moral of the story is not to be overly generous that you forget to look after yourself too. No one in the story offers to help her even though she is an orphan and actually left home with nothing but the clothes on her back. She is so good she gives everything away until she is naked and left with nothing. It's a story about being aware of reciprocity.

13 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Don't know that one,  but do you remember "Round and round the garden"?

11 hours ago, Dugg@rTime said:

I do!

One of my favourite memories of no2 son as a toddler (around 18 months iirc) is of him sitting in his cot early (always early with him:my_rolleyes:) one morning singing it to himself and giggling helplessly as he tickled himself under the arm. His version usually went straight from "Round and round the garden" to "tickle under there".:my_biggrin:

I only learned "Round and round the garden" when my oldest was a baby, from a booklet of rhymes and finger play. The one we used when I was a kid used the same motions (circles on the hand and then creep up the arm and tickle), but it went: "Round and round goes the little brown mouse. And up a little higher, and up a little higher, and into his house!" I'm not sure where my mom learned that one. (And that's a cute story, @Dugg@rTime!)

3 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

My family does "this is the way the lady/gentleman/farmer rides" and "round and round the garden" too. I have no idea where they come from.

2 hours ago, albireo said:

ETA: Also "this is the way the ladies/gentlemen/farmers ride!"

That's interesting. We did ladies, gentlemen, hobbledy-hoys. And let me tell you, it's hard to say hobbledy-hoy over and over, especially when my kids always wanted the last "ride" to be the fastest. Maybe my grandfather (the farmer) changed it for his kids?

1 hour ago, evolutionbaby said:

I think the moral of the story is not to be overly generous that you forget to look after yourself too. No one in the story offers to help her even though she is an orphan and actually left home with nothing but the clothes on her back. She is so good she gives everything away until she is naked and left with nothing. It's a story about being aware of reciprocity.

If she'd been a fundie, Jesus would have saved her. She was probably an ebil Catholic.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived