IGNORED

Jinjer: Throwing Shade since April 9, 2017

Coconut Flan

1 minute ago, Fluffy14 said:

I think they are hoarding their money. 

Or spending them on medical bills, those tests Derrick had aren't cheap, and they don't have health care, they may also be saving up in case of another c/section.   

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My only concern with people piecing their baby's ears (well anyone's ears really) is that they are done professionally. And I'm not talking about a teenage girl doing it at claire's. Those piercing guns they use at claire's and the like cut through the skin jaggedly leaving ridges for bacteria to gather and create infection. A professional piercer will use a hollow needle and create a clean cut through the ear. The problem is I think, at least around here, most professional piercers don't pierce babies...they want the child to be old enough to say they actually want it. Unfortunately I am one of those babies who go their ears pierced with a gun and 26 years later I still have issues with them getting infected and it can be pretty painful. I have gone years without wearing earrings but they have never closed...apparently once I'm pierced I'm pierced for life...still can't get my belly button to close and I haven't worn any jewlery in it in probably 9 years. 

I got a tattoo in February (I'm 29) and I was a little bit afraid of telling my parents. I don't know why - it's not like they could punish me or anything. It turned out to be NBD. My dad said "I wouldn't get a tattoo, but if you're happy, then I'm happy."

I have four piercings in each ear in HS. That I pierced myself with a sewing needle. He had less than charitable things to say about THAT,

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

That's what my parents did. I am in my thirties now and still without tattoo or piercing (except ears). When I was finally old enough the trend for a belly button piercing was over. If I would get one (piercing or tat) now it would be a conscious decision without giving in on trends and peer pressure.

Same here. I got my ears pierced when I was 8. Anything beyond that had to wait until I turned 18. I did get a second hole in each ear shortly after turning 18, but I rarely wear earrings now. The second set of piercings has completely closes. I wear earrings in the first set of piercings about once a month, which is enough to keep them open. I've long thought about getting a tattoo, but never feel strongly enough about a design, so I don't have one.

49 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

Jill confirmed on air she received her CPM. It could be a lie but until that comes out I am going to give her the benefit of the doubt. I am sure she could find employment with a nurse midwife or in a private practice etc. She has creditialing. My point was that these kids have money from the tv show.

Jill passed the exam given by a lay midwife organization.  They call it CPM, but it requires no college or prior experience to entering a midwife only program.  She has not passed the Arkansas state licensing exam or met the state certification requirements or she would be listed by the state.  In other words, she can't legally work in Arkansas as a midwife.

54 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

As for driving while under the influence, I intend to make it clear to Velocibaby that drunk driving (or driving while on drugs) is unacceptable. If she's out and needs a safe ride all she needs to do is call me - I don't care where she is or how old she is or anything. If she calls, I will be there and I won't yell at her about the circumstances. We may have a calm conversation later on, but her being safe is my only concern. I've been in a car with a drunk driver before and I never want my child putting herself or others in that type of danger because she's (he's) scared of my reaction.

This was my mom's approach. Even if I'd lied about where I was, she didn't care - I wouldn't be in trouble, as long as I didn't drive. By the combination of me being a terrible liar and her being extremely observant, more trouble for drunk driving was a valid threat. She even followed it up with the promise that she'd help me retrieve my car the next day. I took her up on that offer, both before and after I turned 18, and she made good on her word. Something I absolutely intend to do with my future child(ren). 

Ugh, my parents never let me do anything fun with my hair when I was a teenager! :my_angry: I had a fundie acquaintence in high school who was allowed to have blue hair, because her parents' rationale was, " We'd rather see you with blue hair than see you have sex before marriage, or catch you reading Harry Potter" (No joke :pb_lol:), but not me, apparently. 

My parents used to tell me I could dye my hair any crazy color I wanted after I moved out, but by then, I had a job where I needed to look professional, so I had to stick with natural-ish looking colors when I did experiment. I had really, really wanted to try blue or pink hair out at some point in my life, and I feel like I missed the boat of being able to do that before I had an obligation to look professional for my job. Hell, when I was out of the house, I dyed my hair platinum blonde for a few months, and even 5 years later, one of my aunts never fails to let a visit go by without telling me how horrible I looked blonde :pb_mad:

To be fair to my mom though, she let me pierce my nose when I was 17 even though she didn't agree with the idea. My high school sweetheart at the time kept saying it was "gross to see women with piercings," and that he wouldn't be as attracted to me if I got one. My mom rightfully thought he was being a sexist piece of shit, so she drove me to the tattoo parlor, paid for the piercing and everything, just to stick it to him  :pb_lol:

Regarding this whole 'how much they make' thing....I tend to think that all the kidults are probably comfortable, but certainly not wealthy (less than $150k to each of their name, if that). If Boob isn't completely going to hell and actually allows them to keep their own earnings once they're married, remember they have to divide each episode several different ways. This isn't like Jon & Kate where the one family keeps it all. Additionally, keep in mind that none of these male latcher-ons had any income before the show. Debt free and taking care of themselves? Perhaps. But even Derick who was the closest thing to being a real responsible adult at Wal-mart probably made $40 - 50k, enough to support his family but certainly not banking a ton away.

3 minutes ago, snickers34 said:

Regarding this whole 'how much they make' thing....I tend to think that all the kidults are probably comfortable, but certainly not wealthy (less than $150k to each of their name, if that). If Boob isn't completely going to hell and actually allows them to keep their own earnings once they're married, remember they have to divide each episode several different ways. This isn't like Jon & Kate where the one family keeps it all. Additionally, keep in mind that none of these male latcher-ons had any income before the show. Debt free and taking care of themselves? Perhaps. But even Derick who was the closest thing to being a real responsible adult at Wal-mart probably made $40 - 50k, enough to support his family but certainly not banking a ton away.

They're paid individually. It's not like they go "here, salary is $100k, split it". They all probably make a few thousand per episode. For instance, Jessa and Ben may get $5,000 per episode each, so they get $10,000 total whereas Jana will only get her share (which may be lower - she's not a "star" on the show, more like a supporting act). Everyone has their own individual contracts with the production company with a salary agreement. 

Its probably pretty good money to them right now. They've never had money themselves, they have small families, and they live in free housing. Is it sustainable? No. I can't imagine any of them are tucking away a bunch of money. Exception: Jeremy may have a small nest egg. I can't imagine he has a ton of money but I'm sure he has at least some savings. 

Hi everyone, long time lurker! I finally joined because what the heck, why not!

I am simultnaiously happy and sad for Jinger, because Jeremy is definitely not a 'redneck' husband, but at the same time he's so homophobic and intolerant. He's a whole other breed almost.

but uhm yeah, just wanted to say hi!

47 minutes ago, CreationMuseumCurator said:

This was my mom's approach. Even if I'd lied about where I was, she didn't care - I wouldn't be in trouble, as long as I didn't drive. By the combination of me being a terrible liar and her being extremely observant, more trouble for drunk driving was a valid threat. She even followed it up with the promise that she'd help me retrieve my car the next day. I took her up on that offer, both before and after I turned 18, and she made good on her word. Something I absolutely intend to do with my future child(ren). 

Exactly. I'd rather my kid be alive and safe than injured or worse because she was scared to ask for help. It could still turn out that way, but I'm hoping this approach will help avoid that.

I'm also up in the air about curfews for similar reasons. My parents didn't set curfews for us in High School because when I was a baby a teenager in our neighborhood was killed trying to get home before her curfew. I'm leaning towards that approach myself. Maybe we'll tell Velocibaby that we'd prefer her to be home by a certain time on school nights, but that it's ok if she isn't as long as she calls to let us know. 

(I'm obviously still working out the details on this stuff and will adapt as we go.)

5 minutes ago, CreatedToBeACritic said:

Hi everyone, long time lurker! I finally joined because what the heck, why not!

I am simultnaiously happy and sad for Jinger, because Jeremy is definitely not a 'redneck' husband, but at the same time he's so homophobic and intolerant. He's a whole other breed almost.

but uhm yeah, just wanted to say hi!

Hi! :greetings-waveyellow:

52 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Jill passed the exam given by a lay midwife organization.  They call it CPM, but it requires no college or prior experience to entering a midwife only program.  She has not passed the Arkansas state licensing exam or met the state certification requirements or she would be listed by the state.  In other words, she can't legally work in Arkansas as a midwife.

The CPM credential requires you to pass a practical exam in addition to having LOTS of hands-on experience. It is a step-up from being a lay midwife. It also takes at least two years to complete. Just because you don't go to college for it does make it any less a proper credential.

Arkansas in particular has a "lay midwife licensure". Basically, lay midwives can be licensed by the state. In most states, they are legal but there is no licensure for them. In Arkansas, you do have to pass a state test and state requirements PLUS the NARM test to get your LM credential.

However, I am not sure if you need to be both a CPM and a(n) LM to practice midwifery in Arkansas.  Because of the reciprocity allowed, I am going to guess that you only need to be a CPM. I'm not sure, though.

30 minutes ago, jacduggar said:

They're paid individually. It's not like they go "here, salary is $100k, split it".

yep, I'm aware that as adults they sign their own contracts and are legally entitled to their money in checking accounts, etc. My point was more for all the years they were minors - that's money boob collected.

But also, the women are basically treated as property until they're married off. That was my point about not completely going to hell. He's pretty disgusting in how he treats his kids, and sadly I wouldn't put it past him if he found a way to manipulate the kidults that know incredibly little about their actual rights as adults, or the real world in general.

36 minutes ago, Taylurker said:

However, I am not sure if you need to be both a CPM and a(n) LM to practice midwifery in Arkansas.  Because of the reciprocity allowed, I am going to guess that you only need to be a CPM. I'm not sure, though.

She has to pass the state licensing test in Arkansas to practice.  She hasn't so she can't.

4 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

She has to pass the state licensing test in Arkansas to practice.  She hasn't so she can't.

@TaylurkerShe isn't listed on the list of licensed lay midwives in Arkansas or the list of apprentice midwives. This is likely because her mentor, Venessa Giron, lost her right to practice in Arkansas after a birth gone wrong - Jill and Jana were both removed from the list of Apprentices around that time (well before their apprenticeships were due to expire.) Which, if true, sucks because it does seem like Jill has a genuine interest and that she worked hard on the requirements. 

So, as CoconutFlan said above, she isn't qualified to practice in Arkansas.

1 hour ago, TeamDefraudinSquad said:

I had really, really wanted to try blue or pink hair out at some point in my life, and I feel like I missed the boat of being able to do that before I had an obligation to look professional for my job.

You've not missed that boat. One of my lovely neighbors has just died her hair ombre blue to purple. She's 75, and her hair's almost to her waist. She is a ROCK STAR! Everyone loves her because she gives no shits about what people say/think. :)

13 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm also up in the air about curfews for similar reasons. My parents didn't set curfews for us in High School because when I was a baby a teenager in our neighborhood was killed trying to get home before her curfew. I'm leaning towards that approach myself. Maybe we'll tell Velocibaby that we'd prefer her to be home by a certain time on school nights, but that it's ok if she isn't as long as she calls to let us know. 

(I'm obviously still working out the details on this stuff and will adapt as we go.)

I didn't have a set in stone curfew. It varied, mostly depending on my grades, but also the circumstances that I wanted to stay out for. I was a pretty good kid and, as mentioned earlier, a horrible liar. She usually trusted what I said, and pressed me if she didn't. Anyway, it worked for us. I kept straight As for the majority of high school because I liked the freedom so much.

That being said, I recognize that not all children are alike, and I appreciate your comment about adapting as you go.

1 hour ago, TeamDefraudinSquad said:

I had really, really wanted to try blue or pink hair out at some point in my life, and I feel like I missed the boat of being able to do that before I had an obligation to look professional for my job.

You can always do peek-a-boo color!

Spoiler

d3303f962f41abf3cf2af843ea99267f.jpg

original-17966-1453326661-8.jpg?downsize

Piercings: I got my ears pierced at a mall kiosk with the piercing gun when I was 15. Infection after infection led me to give up on earrings around 25 and let them close. About four years ago, I decided I wanted them pierced again and researched it a bit. I got them needle pierced by a professional and have not had a single problem. 

Curfews: My brother and I went to high school 20 miles from home. We never had a curfew for two reasons: 1-a curfew at the same time as our friends would have necessitated us always leaving 30 minutes before everyone else. My parents didn't think that was fair. 2--They absolutely did not want us, as young drivers, speeding down a dark highway to beat the clock. It was not really an issue for me anyway as I usually just spent the night with friends after late events. That became a way of dealing with the distance before I could drive and I continued to do so once I could drive. 

Tattoos: It was a huge trend at the school I taught at last for boys to go get the football helmet logo as a tattoo as soon as they turned 18 their senior year. I have always assumed that about six minutes into their freshman year of college they all regretted that and felt stupid. I'm not sure 18 is old enough to make a smart decision about something permanent in every case. (And please note the last three words before you come to tell me about the tattoo you got 20 years ago when you were 18 that you still love--and I will then assume that that tattoo is not a high school sports logo). 

On 6/11/2017 at 8:53 PM, TheDuggarnaut said:

Is this where Jinger and Jeremy live now? It's in need of repairs.

She so much younger in this photo.

I personally do not like tatoos. I knew of someone who in 9th grade got his first tatoo. I'm friends with him on Facebook and he is now covered with them. 

My oldest brother had a curfew, I had older brothers in the same friend circle :) I think by baby #3 they were tired.

Hair: It was big to dye our hair at sleepovers, the only rule the parents had was if it was at our house, the kids needed to call their mom or have my mom call to check permission. 

Piercings: Not a big deal, though there was a random you won't be able to get a job why did you get your nose pierced. I pointed out it had been pierced for six months and they hadn't noticed.

Alcohol: Parents have definitely given a ride here and there with no judgement.  They also thought it was important I go off to college with some exposure ahead of time, so I could know how I reacted/ what a proper amount in the cup looked like and just be safe and better prepared especially given how petite I was. I'm all for that loving guidance and acknowledgement that your kid is going to try it and making sure the door is open for them to talk to you about it. I was also an RA, so you know, all the more for prepping your kids over leaving it up another more responsible teenager to wrangle them.

On 6/12/2017 at 6:40 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Jinger has natural wave to her hair so a wavy bob in hot Texas wouldn't be that hard for her to deal with every day. And I think it would look great on her facial shape:

As someone with a very similar hair texture as this model, can I just say that this woman did not wake up like this.  LMAO. One of the defining characteristics of wavy/curly hair is that it can be hard to predict how it will look on any given day, especially in humid climates, so it could take a lot of time and product to achieve this look. Also, on a less strikingly beautiful face, I'm sure there would be plenty of unsolicited comments on how the style looks messy or unkempt.

Basically, you can't win as a woman with wavy/curly hair (and probably as a woman in general). Even if you straighten it to achieve a more "polished" look, plenty will comment on how you're frying your hair.

Has Jill been banned from practicing midwivery in AR or anywhere else?

If not, she has received her CPM which means some organization licensed her to do something. lol Otherwise there would not be a need for her to take exams for credentials.

I understand that she is not a nurse. However, if she went through whatever process it takes to qualify for registration, then she could make money doing whatever CPMs are eligible to do. 

Right now it makes no sense for her to register or renew registration as she is often out of country and her belief system requires her to be a SAHM while her children are dependent. Although, it is interesting that she was allowed to assist mothers-to-be  in Central America. Is that ethical?

6 minutes ago, lomo6 said:

Basically, you can't win as a woman with wavy/curly hair (and probably as a woman in general). Even if you straighten it to achieve a more "polished" look, plenty will comment on how you're frying your hair. 

Yep, and then there is what we do to ourselves. If you are like me when your hair is long you want it short, when it is short you want it long, when it is straight you want it curly when it is curly you want it straight. Doesn't matter someone or even you yourself won't be happy with someones hair. 

Curfews: we were/are pretty lax on them, until DD starts pushing it then we have to reign her back in a little bit.  School night her curfew is 10:00  non school night its midnight, sometimes 1:00 am or even later depending on what or where she is, la few weekends ago she was down the street at a bonfire with a group of 20 kids from school, they sat out until 1:30 am  when she came home. If she is just at a friends house hanging out we are open to letting her stay out longer, we do put limits on when she can be riding around town "just for fun"  Parents of tween/teens with smart phones, this app is WONDERFUL.  It is called Life360 it is a GPS tracking ap. DD had to have it on her phone, DS let us put it on his (since he was over 18 & out of high school) we all use it now because it is great for tracking where someone is instead of asking where are you?

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

@TaylurkerShe isn't listed on the list of licensed lay midwives in Arkansas or the list of apprentice midwives. This is likely because her mentor, Venessa Giron, lost her right to practice in Arkansas after a birth gone wrong - Jill and Jana were both removed from the list of Apprentices around that time (well before their apprenticeships were due to expire.) Which, if true, sucks because it does seem like Jill has a genuine interest and that she worked hard on the requirements. 

So, as CoconutFlan said above, she isn't qualified to practice in Arkansas.

Yes, Venessa definitely screwed both Jill and Jana over in that regards. So I think you're right that Jill is not legally allowed to practice midwifery in Arkansas. She probably can in Central America, though. I think the reason Jill got her CPM was because she also practiced under the supervision of Shelley and Joy.

Also I meant to say that just because you don't go to college to be a CPM, it DOESN'T mean that being a CPM is any less.

I think Jill and Jana could start over with apprenticeship if they wanted to.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived