IGNORED

Jinjer: Throwing Shade since April 9, 2017

Coconut Flan

7 hours ago, GracieLou Free Duggar said:

There was a law (I think the Jackie Gleason law?) that parents had to keep X amount of money from payment of child actors to keep in a separate account until those children were of age...
Wouldn't that also apply to reality tv? Maybe check on those Plus 8 kids?

Coogan law.  It's a blocked account and can be used for other things too.  The amount is only something like 15%, and if there are multiple kids, that 15% is divided among them, and not all states have this law, and reality shows can be exempt if it's determined the kids are just being filmed doing their normal daily stuff.  When Octomom was still in the news, this was something talked about since she had her kids do non-reality-show stuff, like videos, and the kids were going to only get about 1% each while she got the rest, and then she petitioned a judge to let her have access to even that little bit, and he granted it to her.  So they have nothing.

My elder got a small settlement from a car accident, like $1500 small after all expenses, and it's in a blocked account.  The asshole attorney I had didn't give me any say in the bank, and he picked a bank that's getting a penny of interest a month or less.  It's losing value, and by the time elder child is 18, the buying power is going to be a lot less.  If I had access to that money, it would be in a savings account getting at least 2%, like my savings account, instead of the 0.012% it's getting now.  I'm pissed I was blocked out of all the court proceedings when that was getting set up.  As a parent, it's presumed I'd be the vulture, but the real vultures are the idiots who fucked my daughter over with this account while they were getting paid for doing it from her settlement (started at $6k, and 75% of that is gone).  The attorney called this a Coogan account.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 15/6/2017 at 9:13 PM, Screamapillar said:

If I was crowning in the middle of Olive Garden and Jill came running up and said she could birth my sweet little one....I would pull that baby out myself, Kourtney Kardashian style. 

This gives me joy. FTW!!!!!

The Cooglin Law does not apply to those minors working in the Reality TV world. Those minors have zero protections in place. 

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

The Cooglin Law does not apply to those minors working in the Reality TV world. Those minors have zero protections in place. 

That's just disgusting. Parents should't be allowed to exploit there kids. 

And I'm not sure Coogan's law is even a thing in all states. Of course it would be in California. But Arkansas? I don't know about that.

And all that is before you even get into the weird idea that minors on reality shows are exempt from this protection.

4 minutes ago, Trynn said:

And I'm not sure Coogan's law is even a thing in all states. Of course it would be in California. But Arkansas? I don't know about that.

And all that is before you even get into the weird idea that minors on reality shows are exempt from this protection.

From the SAG AFTRA website:  "At present, Coogan Accounts (a.k.a Blocked Trust Accounts and Trust Accounts) are required by the State of California, New York, Louisiana and New Mexico. In most instances, you will have to supply proof of a trust account prior to receiving a work permit. 15% of the minor’s gross wages are required to be withheld by the employer and deposited into the Coogan account within 15 days of employment. The parent must supply the Coogan account number to the employer."

3 minutes ago, Trynn said:

And I'm not sure Coogan's law is even a thing in all states. Of course it would be in California.

That law is only in Calfornia. If a show has kids and they shoot outside of Cafornia they have to do something to make sure the kids get paid the right way. But like stated above I don't think goes to reality show kids. 

@Born Skeptic

I am just now seeing your response. Thanks for clarification on the matter.

RE: Older kid's finances

Also, on Jessa's father's day post she made it her business to repeatedly comment that Ben works daily. So they have regular incomem, show money , speaking engagements and possibly trust funds.

Some also speculate they're all getting into product placement.

Also I believe for what classifies as child actors who film outside of New York, California, New Mexico, & Louisiana the studios are still expected to follow laws like Coogan and other standards.

The real issue,and why I think the paycheck debate continues to go on, is that when it comes to reality stars they are not seen as actors. Which also don't let allow them to have the benefits that SAG offers. So filming the kids & family is not seen as a hassle because they just continue on with their normal rountinues.
And Right now Pennsylvania has something in place to protect children who are in reality shows because of Jon&Kate plus 8. I don't have the mind set to read this but if someone's interested this is a research paper from University of South California talking about child labor laws & Hollywood and talking about it in context with the show Kid Nation. http://lawreview.usc.edu/issues/past/view/download/?id=1000622

Since the first special Jill was always the giggly one who seemed happy to be a buddy and live the life that she had. I know they have all expressed how she was the perfect child, and how she was always smiles and encouraging.

You can't help but notice a huge change in her demeanor. She seems way more intense and a little emotionally detached. We all remember Jill as the cryer in the family and Jessa the emotionless one. (I remember when jubilee passed, Jessa was the only older girl who didn't cry.)

For example when Jessa and Jill were in Central America, and Jessa was talking about how much she missed Jill and started to cry, Jill had no tears. I didn't see crying at either jinger or joy's wedding but I may be wrong. 

I think Jill is miserable because the majority of her time in Central America is at home. She has always wanted to be a nurse/missionary, so I really wanted her to hold off on kids and live her dream. She is a people's person. I know she holds events in her house with some local mothers, but it's derick who gets to go around and preach. She has no contact with him and is really probably just anxious and terrified. 

Not to make assumptions, but does anyone know how fundies respond to post partum depression. I know Scientology tell you to go jog, but has any fundie mother ever express it? I hope that they do not return after the second child is born, but them keep asking for donations says it all.

18 hours ago, Exjw2015deed said:

Not to make assumptions, but does anyone know how fundies respond to post partum depression. I know Scientology tell you to go jog, but has any fundie mother ever express it? I hope that they do not return after the second child is born, but them keep asking for donations says it all.

Can't tell you for all the various denominations, but I always remember one woman from our community - her baby ended up two months after my eldest as mine was early. In our town, all the healthcare was either secular, from the secular practice, or there was a faith-based care practice, but they were the 'scary, evangelist baptists' so we didn't have much to do with them.

This woman ended up diagnosed at the 12 week check and did as she was advised - told people what was going on and asked us to be her support network.  The elders (men and women, so you know it was a big issue), berated her for being a "drama queen", reminded her that Jesus loved the little children, so she needed to be thankful for her blessing and seconded her to take on more in terms of Sunday school and put her in charge of the under threes section.

Roughly two weeks later they were on her again. She was doing everything with baby with her, either in the pram or papoose (for the record, I favour attachment parenting - papooses rock!). This time the criticism was that she was not only alienating God from the baby by being too present, and couldn't possibly be tending adequately to her husband because how can she assure him she's his and only his, if she's always with the baby. After a few weeks back and forth like this, it was announced that he had found a calling to minister in the American Midwest (I'm thinking Tennessee though I could be wrong) so he was moving the whole family to a homestead out there. They were gone before the end of the week.

So about the recent Jeremy/Derek shadefest……did Jeremy not meet Jinger on a mission trip of some sort? So it's funny that he's now shading missionaries and calling them "uncalled preachers" etc. Also that pretty-boy Jeremy wouldn't last a day in what he probably considers a "real" mission field (i.e. Not the gated fortress that Derek and Jill live in). 

Not that I'm taking Derek's side of the feud because I think his mission trip is a joke. But I don't see why Jeremy has anything to be high and mighty about. 

@VeganCupcake Jeremy did not meet Jinger on that trip. He went on that trip because he liked her and wanted to get to know her better. Don't know if he ever went on a mission trip before.

10 hours ago, Exjw2015deed said:

The Maxwell family are another group of fundies that have threads on FJ as well. I know the mother Teri Maxwell had ongoing issues with post partum.  It was mentioned her newsletter.  I got out of snarking on the Maxwell's a while ago because they are boring as all hell.  If I remember correctly though, she said that reading the bible cured her post partum.  No medications or professional help given.  Just reading the bible.  

22 minutes ago, Jessie E said:

The Maxwell family are another group of fundies that have threads on FJ as well. I know the mother Teri Maxwell had ongoing issues with post partum... hell.  If I remember correctly though, she said that reading the bible cured her post partum.  No medications or professional help given.  Just reading the bible.  

She said that?  Well, she probably did.

I haven't followed the Maxwells for more than a couple of years, so I might have Teri mixed up with someone else, but I think I've heard that she spent a lot of time in her room while Sarah took care of the kids.  She might also be the one who admitted that she hated homeschooling and dreaded the start of the new school year, but once her last child graduated she seemed much happier.  

Teri still acts like spending time with her grandchildren is a chore, though.  Maybe someone should suggest to her that she should help with homeschooling the grandkids, since she's so experienced and all.  I think her head would explode.

Just now, Flossie said:

She said that?  Well, she probably did.

I haven't followed the Maxwells for more than a couple of years, so I might have Teri mixed up with someone else, but I think I've heard that she spent a lot of time in her room while Sarah took care of the kids.  She might also be the one who admitted

Yes, I remember her saying that she spent a lot of time in her room alone and Sarah played the mom role for her. But I remember her saying something along the lines of, reading the bible cured her post partum and I think she also credited it to overcoming her Pepsi addiction as well (that still gets me every time lol).

On 6/17/2017 at 0:03 AM, jqlgoblue said:

The timing of the Derick Jill move would lead you to believe it was JB and the Josh scandal but I really think it was always Derick's plan.

I used to think that Jill & Derrick's move had to do with the Josh scandal & they were just trying to run away from it all & possibly try to redirect everyone attention to something else. In the beginning, it seemed like something JB was behind.  But now Derrick is starting to remind me more and more of John Shrader & it is highly alarming.  Jill appears to be a total mess. When looking back on their courtship days they have definitely become two different people. Jill seems depressed and Derrick is in line to be the next John Shrader.

@MadeItOut that story is truly terrifying and heart breaking and I'm happy you made it out.

I always go back to thinking of the devastating story of Andrea Yates who murdered her 5 children from having post partum psychosis. I don't understand why either the husband and mother in law weren't charge with involuntary manslaughter. They were told by a psychiatrist not to have any more children and to never have the children alone with her.

I feel like if thst were to happen in this day in age, public outrage along with more knowledge and openess about post partum would've made the prosecutors consider indicting the husband.

3 hours ago, Jessie E said:

The Maxwell family are another group of fundies that have threads on FJ as well. I know the mother Teri Maxwell had ongoing issues with post partum.  It was mentioned her newsletter.  I got out of snarking on the Maxwell's a while ago because they are boring as all hell.  If I remember correctly though, she said that reading the bible cured her post partum.  No medications or professional help given.  Just reading the bible.  

Unfortunately some people mistake PPD for baby blues, baby blues will generally resolve itself in a few months, PPD can as your hormones get back into "normal" but it takes much longer.  That is a huge problem many women get a little down after the baby comes from hormonal changes and sleep deprivation, it happens, but it goes away as the baby starts sleeping and mom does as well. PPD isn't that easy to fix. So while she maybe DID get better after a time and "prayer fixed it" that doesn't mean that it will help someone else.  like that Yates woman who went from PPD to postpartum psychosis, which is very real and VERY DANGEROUS to mom and child/ren and should be treated seriously and professionally. 

19 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

So about the recent Jeremy/Derek shadefest……did Jeremy not meet Jinger on a mission trip of some sort? So it's funny that he's now shading missionaries and calling them "uncalled preachers" etc. Also that pretty-boy Jeremy wouldn't last a day in what he probably considers a "real" mission field (i.e. Not the gated fortress that Derek and Jill live in). 

Not that I'm taking Derek's side of the feud because I think his mission trip is a joke. But I don't see why Jeremy has anything to be high and mighty about. 

To be totally fair to the guy, at least he speaking to something he's seen/experienced at first hand on this occasion.

I do not understand why if Jeremy is a pastor of a church in a hugely Spanish speaking city and he wants to convert the ebil Catholics there who most likely speak Spanish.....why does he not already speak Spanish? It seems to me that it would be a prerequisite for the job. 

How can he convert people who can't completely understand what he is saying? Same with DWreck I gues. 

Catching up on some of the threads and don't really know if Jeremy is throwing shade at Derick or not.  His words can be interpreted, to me at least, as a more general commentary/complaint/rant about unprepared missionaries and he has personally seen / experienced this.  Michelle's blog entry doesn't mean much as far as I am concerned because I am not sure the woman is all there.  

However, on the chance that it was specifically directed at Derick, then to me it's not really smart to be starting this kind of feuding so soon in his in-law family, simply for Jinger's sake.    There's no good reason that I can see (I mean, pick your battles) and it would cause needless conflict with his wife's family.  He strikes me a bit too smart for this (even if he's somewhat zealous on this topic) so I am going with that it was a general statement.

On the subject of Derick, boy oh boy, did that guy ever blow it IMHO.  He had a decent job with a large, worldwide employer that could have been a great starting point to a long and successful career.   And at a time when a lot of recent college graduates are having difficulties finding a good job.   He was very lucky and he blew it with some big, misguided missionary trip that now he and his wife admit they were completely unprepared for.   He has resorted to grifting, his church will not sponsor him, it's pretty pathetic to see where he is right now.  Jill seems to be a mess and not that happy. Like others here,  I was long of the opinion that going to CA was to get away from in-laws perhaps Joshgate 1.0 but now I see it was his plan.  Not sure it was all along but I still wonder if things were not working out at Walmart.  Given  his position and short tenure I can't see how the various demands on him and his time (filming, needy wife, baby, surgery, sick mom) would help his job situation.   Could be wrong but I have long suspected that he paid a serious price marrying into the Duggar family.  

I think Jeremy, and others, may differentiate between people who go on a short term mission trip that they usually pay the expenses to go on and have some sort of plan in place and people going on (supposedly) long term mission requiring others to fund them. He may well not last well on long term mission, but then he isn't trying to go to SCA or similar. I think he is very much in people being appointed by more senior people and receiving some sort of training/guidance/overseeing instead of apparently self appointing and having no accountability.

On 6/19/2017 at 10:12 AM, Jessie E said:

When looking back on their courtship days they have definitely become two different people. Jill seems depressed and Derrick is in line to be the next John Shrader.

I couldn't agree more. Derrick's descent into griftdom has been a shock to me. At first, when he started preaching and writing more religious blog posts, I thought he was a young guy trying to impress his father-in-law. I didn't think it would last as that didn't seem to be who he really was. Now, it seems he's committed to it. I didn't see he and Jill going that way but somehow here we are. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived