IGNORED

Jinjer: Throwing Shade since April 9, 2017

Coconut Flan

Just now, Dutch_girl said:

Maybe for the same reason I wore jeans today: because she didn't have time to shave her legs :pb_biggrin:

I wonder if thats allowed considering she has to be ready for sex any minute! Failing to groom "properly" may be up there with refusing sex!

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Butter mints are only one of the best things ever! I won't share my recipe or my grandma will come back and haunt me, but they are basically a thick mint American buttercream, sometimes colored, moulded into a candy sized shape, and often covered in granular sugar to prevent sticking to the candy form/cutter and other pieces. They are soft and literally melt in your mouth. Gotta have 'em at weddings, baby and wedding showers, anniversary parties, any reception...  Not sure I've ever seen them at a wake or anything surrounding a death, but always at  celebrations.

We had, heck I don't remember, somewhere between 500 and 600 people attend our wedding. Didn't send actual invites to that many but it is fairly common to invite your entire church which we did. Hubby and I were raised in the same town, different churches, so even if we hadn't officially done this I assume many from our churches would have shown up. Impossible to serve a seated plated meal when this is a tradition.

This was long ago and we were both 22, fresh out of undergrad schools so I'm sure things are different now, but most of our guests lived within ten minutes of our ceremony and reception. A few college friends came (more than we expected) from out of town but we were all straight out of school and jobs were just starting and money and time were factors. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins were pretty much the only who had come more than thirty minutes and they all had to drive home Sunday so no one really wanted a super late big night on Saturday.  Friday night rehersal dinner was wedding party and family so I guess we fed most of the out of town guests then. It does seem that if more travel for the wedding more food would make more sense. My brother and sister both did destination weddings and had big meals, but that was because everyone was an "out of towner" for those occasions. Most of the Northeastern weddings I've been to have either a lot of out of towners or are held at places that are a big pain for everyone to get to so maybe that is part if it. 

I love seeing all of the different traditions here! 

37 minutes ago, formerpastorswife said:

I doubt they're in the TLC contract, but I'm going to guess that Mom & Dad Duggar wouldn't allow her to appear on camera with the rest of the Duggars if she was wearing pants (coming from a fundie family myself, they/she probably wouldn't consider it "respectful" to wear pants in front of them, period)... It would be a big shocker if her parents would let themselves be seen "palling around" with her on camera while she was so flagrantly immodest. lol

(Delurking here) :hello:

Maybe or maybe not. I believe Marjorie wore jeans on an outing with the family. No clue if it was filmed, but there were definitely photos. Jinger was also seen wearing track pants inside the tth.

I went to a ultra orthodox Jewish wedding last year.  

There were three tiers of invitations.  First one was the  invitation to a low key cocktail hour and the ceremony Chuppah.  The bride was seated during this hour and friends and family went up to say a prayer with the bride.  The groom was off with the related menfolks reviewing the marriage contract aka ketubah.

Second tier of invites was for the entire wedding, cocktail hour, ceremony/ chuppah, seated dinner, and dancing.  Men and women were separated during ceremony, dinner and dancing.  In the womens area we had a bottle of wine, in the mens there was vodka and wine.   Men each got a small loaf ofchallah bread the women got a dinner roll.  There were more than 500 people forbtge seated dinner.

Third tier of invite was for the dancing only.  Lots of young people came later to dance and make eyes at the opposite sex throught the wall separating the sexes - random cut outs made this possible.   In a community that does not permit TV, secular or music reading including Time magazine and newspaper, these parties are a big deal.

The bride was modestly dressed, completely covered from neck to wrist to floor. After the cocktail hour her face was covered with a solid covering and her parents basically towed her to the chuppah because it was opaque. I beleive this is called the bedeken. The wedding ceremony was conducted by the menfolk. The bride and her mother had very little part and stood off to the side.

My husband who considers himself a atheist cultural jew was completely freaked out.   I was more prepared for the culture shock as I was speaking to my friend the brides mother as she was planning.  Engagement was through a matchmaker in April and they were married in June.

30 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I wonder if thats allowed considering she has to be ready for sex any minute! Failing to groom "properly" may be up there with refusing sex!

I think there are some strict fundies out there who don't shave at all because God meant for them to have body hair.

43 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I'm kind of amazed that all this discussion about wedding  reception variations is only about regional differences--not religious or ethnic differences.  Seriously is no one on FJ Muslim, or Hindi or Sikh?

No offense to my fellow Southerners, but saying that we all have buttermints at our wedding receptions is like saying every Southerner is a white Anglo-Saxon Protestant. Which we ain't  : )

My buttermint recipe is from my Southern Jewish grandma (although my Protestant Native American/ Turkish/ German grannie also had a great recipe). The 3 day wedding celebration in Virginia I mentioned earlier was Hindi and on the final night they did have a massive amount of food, but they also had cake, punch, and buttermints. The week long celebration in Indonesia was one of my best Buddhist friends from South Carolina and we had fun teasing her that she had mints at her reception. I guess just based on my own experiences I had assumed many of these things were more regional than religious. :) I'm always fascinated when people associate Southern traditions with white Anglo Saxon Protestants as most of my family that we've traced is Southern to well before the Revolution and we are mostly Jewish or Catholic Native American. In the last hundred years or so a lot more Baptist appear,but we are still a pretty much mixed bunch. My hubby is an Irish Catholic, Welsh, Native American, raised Souhern Baptist boy and his traditions seem to match up pretty much with mine. :)

On the other hand, my dad's cousin born and raised in in a well to do Jewish family in Manhattan got married about 25 years ago and had a cake and punch reception. It wasn't money (his then wife's family owns a well known publishing company), it was just what they wanted. They headed out early the next morning for their honeymoon and we brunched with the rest if the family. Einder if their friends thought them odd?

To each their own...

anyone out there with a Jordan Almonds wedding reception tradition?

22 hours ago, JDuggs said:

I think if it was in a more typical reception hall (not "formal") I would want to attend, no question. So what are the expectations? Give a more modest gift not in line with the party thrown? Be generous even though that's not how I would typically spend my money? Don't go? 

No need to cover your plate. I'm a total snob who reads etiquette books, and that is not an etiquette rule in any of them. Buy them something mid-range off the registry or write them a check for an amount you feel comfortable with. 

If you think it would mean a lot to your friend, then maybe go. But I think sending a decent gift with a nice card more than covers you. Especially since you haven't seen the daughter in ten years. 

Just wondering why you would definitely want to attend if it were in a more typical reception hall? Is it because of the cost of formal clothing?

8 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I think there are some strict fundies out there who don't shave at all because God meant for them to have body hair.

Haha, that is what I'm going to use now! I stopped shaving my legs a few years ago because I couldn't care less about the hair. Nobody has ever said anything about it, but if they do I'll them I do it for God. Which is even more crazy because we are not very religious over here. :lol:

I effing love butter mints.

We had a candy bar as our favors in 2011. I don't see how edible favors can go wrong.

Likely it is that the hotter outside the cooler everyone seems to keep their ac! A trip to the grocery store requires a parka in August in Fort Worth! Or she needs to shave.

Dark pants in heat, no, but lighter colors work. I was always amazed to see people in long sleeves, jeans, and hats working outdoors in 105 degree heat but tried it one day when I needed to mow but had no sunscreen. It was life changing. It was so much cooler not having the sun right on my skin. From that day on when doing yard work in 90 degress or warmer I always wore jeans, a tank top, denim long sleeved button down, and a hat. When I finished I was usually pretty hot but then you just take off the outer shirt and you are cool again. 

7 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

anyone out there with a Jordan Almonds wedding reception tradition?

I love 'em but we had too many nut allergies in the family to even consider it. :( 

It’s 110 and I’m wearing jeans and a top. Am I doing this wrong?

6 minutes ago, Destiny said:

It’s 110 and I’m wearing jeans and a top. Am I doing this wrong?

I think some people are naturally chilly a lot of the time. 

Also if you are spending most of your day in air conditioning, sometimes pants are necessary. Some places blast the AC.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Carry on here:

Archived