IGNORED

Jinjer: Throwing Shade since April 9, 2017

Coconut Flan

I don't think he was necessarily preaching AGAINST cancer research, I think his point was that sin is just as big a problem as cancer so we should be just as focused on the problem of sin as we are on cancer. At least that's how I took it.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

1) Someone in the family needs to have a paying job, and a really decent one if the family is going to let God decide on the # of blessings procreated. 

Playing Duggar's advocate for a moment, these people do have well paying jobs. They are reality actors. They have to show up, let the cameras in, stay active on social media, give into a brand they may not necessarily agree with and have to work with TLC to further the longevity of the show. This is not as easy as it seems. Plus, these people are making bank. They are  wealthy despite their appearances especially the oldest kids who have been on air the longest pass 18yrs old.

They all seem to be doing fine financially except for the Dillards. And I have a feeling they choose a path of poverty as it goes along with their missionary lifestyle. However, if they hadn't chosen that path they would probably be the most "regular" professionals of them all. Jill is now a certified midwife of some sort. 

Why should they take traditional jobs when they're making money by being on camera? They provide a service. called entertainment.  As long as the adult kids manage their money properly, they'll probably have more income from this show than they ever would signing into a 9-5p everyday.

I do agree that the family should be working on their retirement plans though. Counting On has a shorter lifespan then 19K. No way they can continue to stretch seasons out of the older kid's updates unless they allow the children to either develop their own spinoffs or rebrand themselves. If the show allows for a more layered look at the family and allow some of the Josh stuff to see the light of day, then they'll hang on for awhile. Otherwise, tick tock.

5 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

I don't think he was necessarily preaching AGAINST cancer research, I think his point was that sin is just as big a problem as cancer so we should be just as focused on the problem of sin as we are on cancer. At least that's how I took it.

ok scientists. quit your jobs studying cancer. there are more important issues at hand. while were at it, everyone should just quit their jobs because sin is bad. oh wait, he also rallied against people just going out and being missionaries without jobs or purpose. So what is his point? Does he want people to work and earn money and also do good or does he just want everyone to drop what they are doing and preach without a job.

17 hours ago, elliha said:

With my daughter I kept her hair reasonably short up until she was old enough to have a view which was around 2.5-3 years old. She now has longish hair because she wants her hair to be long like mom's and Elsa's but her hair doesn't grow very fast. My son is 10 months and still doesn't have enough hair to have a real hair cut yet but I plan to instead keep his hair longer than average for a boy until he has a view about it. I am doing this so that they can feel free to have any hair cut as older children/adults as they will already have had a short/long hair cut at one point in their life. 

Somehow this is the post that brought me out of my 3ish years of lurking! Haha.

I just moved back home after finishing my year contract as a character performer at Walt Disney World and Elsa was one of my "good friends", and that wig is also what inspired me to grow out my already long locks. Lol. I would french braid my hair daily underneath my wig cap and pin up the ends. A year of that and hardly no heat, my hair has grown like a weed and is falling just below my breast.  But now I have no idea how to style it while it is down..

Jinger's hair is beautiful when she takes the time to style it. I would love to see her start trying out some huge loose braids or braided updos! Jessa too- With her color the braided updos would really pop.

Speaking of a spinoff I would totally watch a show about Jeremy and Jinger. I think it would be great to see how a Duggar kid transitioned into contemporary Christianity/no denom. Comparing and contrasting the difference and similarities would be great. There could still be a focus on Jinger especially as she branches out with her photography and other educational opportunities. 

I would watch. Audience of at least one. lol

This gravy train has 2 more brides, Kendra and Jana.  I'm starting to get the feeling that someone at TLC feels really horrible for these Duggar kids as they have seen how horrible their lives are and that if the shoe isn't there the abuse and neglect will be even greater. So they keep this going to help the kids at least have  roof over their heads and food in their bellies and a little attention/supervision. Boob & DQ have give up any and all pretense of parenting it seems. They are DONE, Boob was so yeah another one out the door.  She is kid #9 and the 1st one handed off to a sister mom, they didn't raise her Jill did, and it was evident at that wedding they weren't as invested in Joy as they were the older girls.

1 minute ago, TatiFish9 said:

Speaking of a spinoff I would totally watch a show about Jeremy and Jinger. I think it would be great to see how a Duggar kid transitioned into contemporary Christianity/no denom. Comparing and contrasting the difference and similarities would be great. There could still be a focus on Jinger especially as she brand as out with her photography.

I would watch. Audience of at least one. lol

I think you could brand Jinger & Jeremy and Jessa & Ben and MAYBE Joy & Austin, if we really get to see them working on their home and her not being knocked up already, and if he relaxes and has some personality.  Jill & DerWreck have to go, as do Boob & DQ and the rest of the family Kendra seems fun but Joy is as exciting as notebook paper.  Just show 3 young starting out families and how they manage life on their own for the 1st time. 

14 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

Speaking of a spinoff I would totally watch a show about Jeremy and Jinger. I think it would be great to see how a Duggar kid transitioned into contemporary Christianity/no denom. Comparing and contrasting the difference and similarities would be great. There could still be a focus on Jinger especially as she branches out with her photography and other educational opportunities. 

again I must be the only one who doesn't see any of these couples at all carrying show at all by just being themselves (and again don't forget these people are not themselves they are a character)  or with their spouse. With Derick and Jill who would listen to them and take them seriously, Ben and Jessa are a whole other kettle of fish but Jeremy and Jinge that kitchen scene was down right from the 50's.  And don't get me started on her laundry room scene.  Painful 

Regarding hair:

I have a six month old daughter. I'm pretty sure I'll be cool with her doing whatever she wants with her hair as she grows up. Piercings and tattoos are another story - if she's not of legal age to get one without parental consent, then I don't think her father and I will be cool with it. After she hits he legal age? Go for it! I still hope she thinks carefully about it to be sure it's what she really wants.

As for clothes... I'm not sure. I don't want to make her feel ashamed of herself, but I also don't think certain items are necessarily appropriate for every occasion. I'm glad we have a lot of time to figure out a plan for that. :pb_lol:

(And it goes without saying - same rules our daughter ends up with will also apply if we eventually have a son.)

20 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Piercings and tattoos are another story

GryffindorDisappointment child had her ears pierced at 5 months. Yeah, I'm one of those moms. She was bald and she looked like her daddy. I could dress her in the frilliest, pinkest dress and people would ask me about "him." So. She now has five piercings in each ear.

She also has her belly button pierced. Whatever you do, don't tell your 12 year old, who asks for her belly button to be pierced "When you're 16" in an offhanded manner, because she will remember it and hold you to it. LOL

She also has a tattoo on her upper back. She may have others, but I can't remember.

Hell, I have three tats, so they're a non-issue for me.

I've always gone by the "choose your battles" mantra. Drunk driving is a battle. Hard drug use is a battle. Tattoos, piercings, hair are not battles. In my house, anyway.

3 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

@SapphireSlytherin haha my mom told me when I was little I could get my belly button pieced when I was 16, thinking I'd forget too. Guess what we did on on 16th birthday :pb_lol:

My mom said the same thing, except about getting my nose pierced! And I got it on my birthday! 

1 hour ago, TatiFish9 said:

They all seem to be doing fine financially except for the Dillards. And I have a feeling they choose a path of poverty as it goes along with their missionary lifestyle. However, if they hadn't chosen that path they would probably be the most "regular" professionals of them all. Jill is now a certified midwife of some sort.

But you contradict yourself here. If the show is making them wealthy, and the Dillards are part of the Counting On show, then the Dullards are just as wealthy as the balance. I think that while JB and M might be wealthy, I don't know that their kids are at all. 

No one knows if any of the members receive an individual paycheck from TLC. Maybe from People magazine and from the speaking gigs, but from the show, no one really knows.  Also, there seems to be some question as to what kind of certificate that Jill holds, and if she is even legally able to practice in Arkansas where she resides part of the time.

ETA: Also, if the kids are doing Ok from the Counting On show, why do the Dullards grift for money to support themselves in Central America?  I really think the money goes into a trust that is controlled by JB- he giveth what he wants to giveth. In supports them all. No one is fully out on their own, yet. Even the Vuolos are part of the show.

11 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Piercings and tattoos are another story - if she's not of legal age to get one without parental consent, then I don't think her father and I will be cool with it. After she hits he legal age? Go for it!

That's what my parents did. I am in my thirties now and still without tattoo or piercing (except ears). When I was finally old enough the trend for a belly button piercing was over. If I would get one (piercing or tat) now it would be a conscious decision without giving in on trends and peer pressure.

14 minutes ago, nst said:

again I must be the only one who doesn't see any of these couples at all carrying show at all by just being themselves (and again don't forget these people are not themselves they are a character)  or with their spouse. With Derick and Jill who would listen to them and take them seriously, Ben and Jessa are a whole other kettle of fish but Jeremy and Jinge that kitchen scene was down right from the 50's.  And don't get me started on her laundry room scene.  Painful 

I would not watch a show about Ben and Jessa if they kept up with this little Duggar Family from AR mess. But if they explored some of Ben's hobbies like making more friends similar to Flame or his views on more controversial leans within the fundie Christian world, I would be game.

The only thing fresh coming out of this camp is Jinger. She has moved to a more urban location. She has openly broken some Duggar standards and her husband is trying to grow a church.

I know this family has become increasingly popular since the Josh scandal (oh sweet irony), but their core fan base before then was Christians and traditional family values worshipers who wanted to see that kind of successful living on TV, right?

I think that fan base would embrace a spinoff. After all Couting On made it to second season despite scandal, boycotts, and completely yawn worthy episodes.

9 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

GryffindorDisappointment child had her ears pierced at 5 months. Yeah, I'm one of those moms. She was bald and she looked like her daddy. I could dress her in the frilliest, pinkest dress and people would ask me about "him." So. She now has five piercings in each ear.

Oh gawd, for a moment I thought you put 10 piercings in a 5 month old :my_sick: . 

Our (then) 16 year old got a belly-piercing from her mom 'because she wanted one forever'. We never heard daughter about it, not once.  They both knew dad would've said no but you gotta love divorce. Once they were out the shop,  mom said "oh yeah, I suppose I needed to your dad about all this" and then let daughter have the hard talk. Chicken mom :pb_mad:

I am not too bothered by piercings but tattoos are a big nono. When they are 18, fine, it is their body but before that, no way. One of the main reasons too is that at least here in Sweden good tattoo artists don't tend to tattoo anyone under the age of 18 so if you get one before that you often have to choose someone less talented or a total amateur. If you are 18 you have a much better chance of getting a tattoo you will start hating at 22. I love tattoos but has not yet gotten one (I am 35). I really hope we will start earning some money soon so I can get one. I have two different things I consider getting.

Clarifying:  GryffDisapp got her first tattoo (maybe only? I truly don't know) when she was 18.

6 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

But you contradict yourself here. If the show is making them wealthy, and the Dillards are part of the Counting On show, then the Dullards are just as wealthy as the balance.

Not necessarily. Wealthy is not just income we all know. And it costs for the Dillards to travel/ and live back and forth in a foreign country. That is more money than living in a mortgage free home or a tiny apartment.  

With that, I said they choose a life of poverty. They could have the money saved or purposely appear impoverished to go along with their missionary life style.

Either way these kids have $$$. Do you see how they now dress and the products they have? Their living quality has improved. I doubt TLC is paying for all of it directly. TLC may pay for their travel while filming but I believe everything else is up to them. This is one of TLC's top grossing shows. These people have money.

The kids over 18 are making the money from the show directly. If they choose to give to their parents some that is another story. 

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Because sin is a bigger problem? I'm not sure. :my_confused:

Could have to do with embryonic research. I have no idea what his motives are but the research with human embryos is a big nono for some people. 

@SassyPants Jill confirmed on air she received her CPM. It could be a lie but until that comes out I am going to give her the benefit of the doubt. I am sure she could find employment with a nurse midwife or in a private practice etc. She has creditialing. My point was that these kids have money from the tv show.

I can see 19K receiving a large check not Counting On. Individual stories are featured. They most likely contract each individual based on popularity and amount of air time each season. That is why they have all these forced outings on the show and contrived learning experience because most likely contract says Jessa shows up in xyz scenes episode. Jana shows up in this numher etc...

1 hour ago, TatiFish9 said:

They all seem to be doing fine financially except for the Dillards.

I don't believe this. I think they want us to think they are not doing as well. They have very few monthly $$ payments. They borrow a house and car when in the USA. They grift for funding in Central American. They get paid like the others from TLC.  The others can manage with monthly financial commitments.  I think they are hoarding their money. 

Clarifications are apparently needed:

I have pierced ears and a tattoo on my wrist - I was 19 for the tattoo and around 20 for my ears. Worked well for me and my parents - my parents weren't happy about the tattoo at all, but they got over it. As for the piercings, they didn't care. Mom just didn't want to be responsible for taking care of them.

With piercings, I really meant non-ear piercings. If our daughter or son asks for pierced ears and we feel they're mature enough to care for them on their own, then I'd be fine with that. I'd prefer for them to wait until adulthood for other piercings though (just a personal preference.) That's something I feel would be a joint parenting decision though, so it's something husband and I will have to discuss to be sure we're on the same page.

(I don't judge parents who pierce their infant's ears. I know it's much more common in other cultures and I respect that. You do you. Only thing that matters is that your kid is healthy, happy, and loved.)

As for tattoos, I honestly don't mind if our kid(s) gets one eventually. But that's a choice I personally feel she (or he) should make as an adult. And I would hope they get something they truly love and they've considered carefully. Other parents feel differently and that's fine.

As for driving while under the influence, I intend to make it clear to Velocibaby that drunk driving (or driving while on drugs) is unacceptable. If she's out and needs a safe ride all she needs to do is call me - I don't care where she is or how old she is or anything. If she calls, I will be there and I won't yell at her about the circumstances. We may have a calm conversation later on, but her being safe is my only concern. I've been in a car with a drunk driver before and I never want my child putting herself or others in that type of danger because she's (he's) scared of my reaction.

(Disclosure - I was a child and the driver was one of my parents. I was young enough each time to not feel like I could really challenge the decision. This parent is the only person who has ever driven me anywhere while intoxicated. The other parent was unaware their spouse was intoxicated because they weren't with us - if they were then no drunk driving would have happened.)

TL;DR: Not my hair, so I don't care.

If minor Velocibaby goes behind our backs and gets a tattoo or piercing without permission, I'll be pissed because it's illegal here. If adult Velocibaby shows up for Thanksgiving with five tattoos and ten piercings I'll be the first to high five her.

If minor/adult Velocibaby calls me for a ride because she's drunk, that's ok and I won't lecture her. If minor/adult Velocibaby drives home drunk off her ass, I'll be furious because that shit is dangerous.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived