IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 29 - A Very Inappropriate Lawsuit

Coconut Flan

8 hours ago, Markie said:

I cannot really understand the push for all fundies (especially duggars) to become ministers, missionaries, or to have some sort of "ministry."

I can only go by my experience. When we went to our very first homeschool conference it was run by Josh Harris's Dad Gregg Harris.

He is the guy who started using the "seasons of life" phrase.He had a whole cassette series of like 6 cassettes on THE SEASONS OF LIFE. This was around 1995. In his conference he had a whole segment on home business and how families could work independent of government, and keep the kids home and learning a trade or the family business. HIs big thing back then was you didn't need a higher education if you just shadowed someone or got a real plumber to show you plumbing. His son Josh was highlighted because as a 16-18 yr old......(I think) he started a video recording business for weddings. 

Another big push was ministry/business. Hence the Botkin family business,  and scores of other family business/ministries. I recall looking at material at the homeschool conferences about stuff like this, on how to start something.

So it became a "homeschool" Thing.  And it has circled the block ever since then.  

AS for my own experience with friends , It was the more "Godly" thing to do. Kinda like a higher prestige thing. If you went to work you were just not as higher ranked......at least it felt like that.

Some people I knew out of highschool and early adulthood actually devoted their whole life to missions and have stayed away for like 30 yrs. in Thailand,  etc. 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's so interesting @Fluffy14! It makes sense out of emphasis on self-sufficiency you see. Like Austin flipping houses or Sierra selling chocolate strawberries. But with millennial fundies do you think the ministry route is especially gaining traction? The vuolos, dillards, Ben Seewald are all into it. Or is it because they are especially fundamentalist, like super fundies? 

Painfullyaware.   I don't know. 

I am not American....it was by chance that we happened on this home school event run by the Gregg Harris family.  We were not devoted

home schoolers. We moved too much and it was easier just to keep them home instead of the upheavel of a new school.  We did a lot of bouncing around and the kids did more time in schools than not in school.

But for a time we belonged to AHEA in Alberta the Red Deer conference that turned away the Duggar's speaking engagement after the scandal. I wasn't involved then, but our governing board was really a free for all. Not many families that I know of did the home business thing. IT was really a push from the home school material brought in by people from the states. 

I think the Jeremy had his church and vocation in mind and was already doing it before he met Jinger.  I think that was coincidental.

I think JImbob has always gravitated to independence.......he could be a poster boy for Gregg Harris teaching.  Those series of six Saason of Life tapes were not bad, they talked about  baby, youth, young adult , parents , marriage , babies, middle age, old age......and what happens in those phases of peoples lives.   

From what I remember of them Jimbob is the poster boy for his teaching. 

The way he moulded Josh into his career. The way all of his kids were or are involved in his house flipping, you know carpeting, and tiling.

I think it is Jimbob's THING. I think he just made it his ultimate goal for his kids. Do ministry. Do missions......I think from my opinion those are the only noble careers he values and I think they do it because of his influence being really heavy, or they want to please him. And it is a feather in Jimbob's cap.

I mean Ben was going to college before he was involved with the Duggar's, and so was that dipwad Dillard. They changed when they met Duggars.

Besides, you have to have money to start something.  Duggar's have money. I think their lifestyle allows for a bunch of ministries to start. MOney and time......and big daddy Duggar to show you every loophole for evading taxes, 

I don't know any fundies. The Duggar type are not here that's for sure. Most Christians I know are in the mix in the regular work force. 

But because of my home school experience....they romanticize home based business. They make it seem really attainable, and really successful.  And that like magic you can have 15 kids and be rich.

They also tell their kids to have a "ministry mindset" in whatever they do. What better way, than actual ministry. It's the more obvious choice.

I also think their choice of vocations is somewhat class-based and culture based, as well as a tangible option being that many fundie children don't do accredited higher education.

I think it's worth noting that Josh Harris has since changed his tune and is now attending a theology school in college. He acknowledges that he was ill-equipped to lead a congregation which no shit. I'm at theological college and lots of my class mates are candidates for ministry so I have a LOT of opinions on the matter. 

The other thing that I always wonder is what about doctors/dentists/lawyers. If everyone followed their thinking there would be no doctors which is obviously stupid. 

3 hours ago, Fluffy14 said:

I can only go by my experience. When we went to our very first homeschool conference it was run by Josh Harris's Dad Gregg Harris.

He is the guy who started using the "seasons of life" phrase.He had a whole cassette series of like 6 cassettes on THE SEASONS OF LIFE. This was around 1995. In his conference he had a whole segment on home business and how families could work independent of government, and keep the kids home and learning a trade or the family business. HIs big thing back then was you didn't need a higher education if you just shadowed someone or got a real plumber to show you plumbing....<snip>

Ah, job shadowing is basically what the 'mentorship' is in Kevin Swanson's Kickstart course: https://generationswithvision.com/Store/2013/10/kickstart-launch-your-life/

1 hour ago, CyborgKin said:

Ah, job shadowing is basically what the 'mentorship' is in Kevin Swanson's Kickstart course: https://generationswithvision.com/Store/2013/10/kickstart-launch-your-life/

I mean, I'm all for learning a trade if that's what interests, and training with those who can provide you with a skill rather than taking on the burden of university debt... but in the real world that training needs to be accredited. Nobody wants a builder with no training, or at least I hope they don't... right? It's like these people think it's still the world of the New Testament, and it's not, people need reassurance that you actually know what you're doing, and some self-taught DVDs of motivation does not a trained skillsman make. All they're doing is setting their kids up for failure to repeat the cycle of low-income, lots of kids, wife chained to kitchen, and wholly relying on God. It's horrible to think about for the kids' sake.

1 hour ago, victoriasponge said:

I mean, I'm all for learning a trade if that's what interests, and training with those who can provide you with a skill rather than taking on the burden of university debt... but in the real world that training needs to be accredited.

(snip)

Agreed! I'm a big fan of accredited vocational training. In Germany vocational training takes years. You start out as an apprentice, take exams to become a journeyman, and then take exams to become a master who can take on apprentices in turn. It's a rigorous process, far removed from watching a few videos on youtube.

I have nothing but the greatest respect for people who went through the process of vocational training, and made it to a master level! And it bugs me, when people cheapen that training, by wrongly assuming titles they haven't earned. Just because I can fix a leaky tap, I'm not a master plumber. I certainly shouldn't claim to be one, much less advertise my skills. Just because I can passably sew, doesn't mean I'm a seamstress. MIL is a trained seamstress, who would unflinchingly make me step on a Lego, if I ever claimed anything like it.

After typing all of this out, I suppose what annoys me so much about the lack of accreditation is that fundies appear to like to adorn themselves with feathers they haven't earned. I find it disrespectful towards those who spent time, blood, sweat and tears to go through the whole process, learn their craft inside out and become highly trained professionals. The arrogance with which some fundies assume makes me ragey. /end rant

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I can believe Boob being a hoarder. 

Same here.  His claim to fame is child hoarding.

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I can believe Boob being a hoarder. 

1999% because of all those storage places he has on his property and all the stuff Jessa took to jInger's renovation party 

Their storage units scare me. I'm kinda OCD about stuff. They don't need to have all that stuff. This 'buy used and save the difference' thing has been taken too far. There's a ton of stuff in there that they don't need. They don't need 20 strollers and each pregnancy they show that they buy a new one. And all those clothes. They need to start parting with them.

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

Their storage units scare me. I'm kinda OCD about stuff. They don't need to have all that stuff. This 'buy used and save the difference' thing has been taken too far. There's a ton of stuff in there that they don't need. They don't need 20 strollers and each pregnancy they show that they buy a new one. And all those clothes. They need to start parting with them.

A good place to start would be to donate any baby/kid/pregnancy stuff to a church crisis nursery. Would be a pretty Christian thing to do!

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

And if they have all those clothes, why do Jessa/Jill/Anna still have to go shopping ???

32 minutes ago, karen77 said:

And if they have all those clothes, why do Jessa/Jill/Anna still have to go shopping ???

I wonder if they have the original frumpers tucked away in storage, too. 

Josiah has returned to Instagram after a long absence to promote ALERT.  He also started following Jostin, Jinger, Jeremy and Laura, replied to a few comments and liked some pictures of Jill. 

So basically, no social media unless it's to make money and then all rules go out the window! So basically nothing we didn't already know. 

In my family, providing for your family supercedes following your own personal desires.

2 hours ago, karen77 said:

probably because they're all covered in mildew and moth holes. I could see the Duggars just throwing stuff in storage without putting in the effort to properly store the items :P

Shopping and food seem to be the only allowable "vices" in their cult, so Jizz Blob being a hoarder makes perfect sense, at least to me.

I'm trying to be less of a gullible dumbass about tabloids, but I noticed that the first thing the "close family source" went to the tabloids about was Jana "preferring the company of women" (which, what female in that cult wouldn't, considering how much energy must go into worrying about  whether or not you're "defrauding" the gross men with innocent clothing choices/mannerisms...? :pb_rollseyes:), and the second thing the source went to the tabloids about was Boob's hoarding problem. If this a real source and not some gossip blog intern with creative writing skills, that source sure has a super low threshhold for what they consider scandalous behavior :pb_lol: , like they're the kind of person who would have a dream about big cigars and tell everyone they had a nightmare about penises the night before. :GPn0zNK:

58 minutes ago, Fjrocks said:

Dear Rufus that is so pathetic.

What has Josiah done since ALERT 3 years ago that would give anyone the idea he was making the most of his opportunities.  Or that ALERT helped.

He's:

• worked for TLC as a minor cast member.
  • Worked for Daddy
  • Had a failed courtship.

Call me back when he has:

• joined the fire dept.
  • become a First Responder,
  • joined the real police force,
  • Become a state troupers,
  • joined the military,
  • gone to college,
  • got a real job of any kind,
  • started his own successful business,
  • used his "leadership" training to run for office,

Or done anything noteworthy at all.

Heck, he hasn't even become a fake missionary on Deputation to anywhere!

I wonder if ALERT is having a lot of trouble with lack of interest now. Seems kind of suspicious that they're all suddenly shilling for ALERT.

6 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I wonder if ALERT is having a lot of trouble with lack of interest now. Seems kind of suspicious that they're all suddenly shilling for ALERT.

I said this on another thread.  I hope so!

I have a 2 year degree and some certifications. The problem is that I'm overqualified and under qualified now for my occupation. Employers either want some "certified user" OR someone with a BS in engineering. 

I taught people AutoCAD and tried to get them to a level where they could pass the certification exam. Out of all the students I had, only a handful passed. Why? LACK of desire to put forth the effort. I can't see the Duggar males putting forth the kind of effort I'd expect during the class either. 

Are other ALERT graduates shilling the program? I"m betting it's losing money or something.

Or did they cut some sort of a deal whereby the younger Duggar lads can attend Alert for free if the rest of the clan shills for them? Inquiring minds want to know...

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived