Duggars by the Dozen 29 - A Very Inappropriate Lawsuit

Coconut Flan

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, amandaaries said:

Not sure what you mean by that

I mean:  raise a teenaged girl and tell me it's not 100% true! lol

Yup, I can attest to that, being in the middle of the storm that is an almost 13-year-old girl. Some days hubby & I ask each other if it is safe to enter a room or talk to her! The friend drama is incredible.

14 minutes ago, Chocolatedefrauded said:

almost 13-year-old girl

I don't pray, but I will pray for you. It's gonna get a whole lot worse before it gets better. I'm so sorry. :(

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I mean:  raise a teenaged girl and tell me it's not 100% true! lol

That movie came out when I was a teen and enduring a lot of bullying, and my reaction was, "Those girls weren't mean enough!" That gives you an idea of what a certain spawn of Satan/dementor put me through.

But yeah, I was moody and put through hell by this spawn of Satan/dementor and unfortunately took a lot of it out on my parents. I did eventually apologize. Took a few years :pb_lol: I once told my mom I was terrified of having a daughter like me and she laughed. Oh boy.

50 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I don't pray, but I will pray for you. It's gonna get a whole lot worse before it gets better. I'm so sorry.

I was afraid of that! When does it get better - 15 or 16? I need some hope....

I was an 8th grade when it came to theaters. Mean Girls didn't really sum up much of my experiences in High School. But first year of college living in the dorm was like living in Mean Girl incubator 24/7 with a mixture of nerd & science*. The girls were more openly deceitful but the men were worse then Regina George on any given day.

* It was an engineering school ratio was 3 guys to 1 girl.

Interrupting your chat about Mean Girls (great movie!) with an important announcement:

...wait for it...

I had my first ever Tater Tot last night!!!!! After sixty million references to them on FJ and occasionally perusing the frozen aisles of Tesco to see if I could find them (I couldn't, they're not a thing in Ireland...) I was in Eddie Rockets last night (a diner chain almost identical to Johnny Rockets in the USA) and THERE WERE TATER TOTS ON THE MENU!!!

You can surely imagine the explosion of emotions I felt. Excitement, anticipation, nervousness in case they didn't live up to this huge moment...Pride that I was finally joining in with a huge FJ cultural reference. A little touch of smugness that I would finally be in the know with the cool kids.

Yeah.

Turns out they're basically little mini hash browns. Fricken hash browns!!! None of you people could have explained that at any point in the last gazillion years of talking about them???

Jeepers....:annoyed:

10 minutes ago, IrishCarrie said:

(snip)

Turns out they're basically little mini hash browns. Fricken hash browns!!! None of you people could have explained that at any point in the last gazillion years of talking about them???

LOL Your entire post was absolutely darling, but the quoted bit got me. Thank you for making my morning! :)

Not every girl is going to be a horrible little asshole during her teen years. Yes, hormones and emotions are very real and confusing at that time of life - but not every girl is going to be horrible to raise through those years. I find it mildly insulting when people imply that they will be or when people helpfully offer their sympathies for me and my husband because our daughter is 100% bound to be a holy terror as a teen. How about we give our seven month old time to actually get to the teen years before assuming the worst? Is that too much to ask?

(And it should go without saying that the same goes for stereotypes regarding boys too. And that this isn't directed at anyone here, just something that bothers me about society in general.)

10 hours ago, Chocolatedefrauded said:

If Mum and me are a model to go on, not for a few years after then. That said, we were really unlucky that she hit menopause around about the time I hit the teenage thing. Some days you could almost smell that a fight was brewing before getting out of bed. It took until my mid twenties for us to really get it together and move on. We're closer now than we've ever been.

I had a Regina George in school along with her band of minions. She was awful as were her minions (but the minions were nice enough girls away from her). She was sneaky, bitchy and calculating and always made sure she was never caught being a bitch. Some teachers saw it and disliked her, sticking up for us girls that were unfortunate enough to be at the other end of her bitchiness but other teachers thought the sun shined from her ass. She would cry bully and act innocent if anyone stuck up for themselves against her and always went to the teachers who would believe her and in turn the rest of us got in trouble for doing nothing but trying to get her to leave us alone. 

I remember going home crying 3-5 times a week after school, from being isolated or receiving her hateful comments. It made me hate going to school which was a pity because to this day I love that school. 

The girl left 6th form early to go on reality TV and now thinks she's a big time  celebrity, it's really gone to her head. She's still hateful but does a very good job at covering it up. 

6 minutes ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

The girl left 6th form early to go on reality TV and now thinks she's a big time  celebrity, it's really gone to her head. She's still hateful but does a very good job at covering it up. 

We work in the industry. Reality TV in her case sounds like just about the greatest karmic retribution she could get.

Loving the Mean Girls quotes but as a Gen Xer I WAS hoping for some Heathers quotes. It is a much darker movie than Mean Girls. I mean, nobody dies in that movie. So I'll just add my favorite Heathers quote: " Well, fuck me gently with a chain saw. Do I look like Mother Theresa?"

Oh, " Dear diary,  my teen-angst bullshit now has a body count."

4 hours ago, IrishCarrie said:

I had my first ever Tater Tot last night!!!!!

BUT!! When they are fresh from the fryer, and the right amount of salt has been applied, they are little bites of manna from heaven...

14 hours ago, Chocolatedefrauded said:

For me? 14 or so. Good luck?

My daughter returned to semi-human status at 19 (when she moved out). She became 99% human at 23.

I think "when does it get better" can depend on a lot. The awful behavior can be a combination of hormones, friend drama, bullying, school stress, etc. For me, I'd say I started improving when the demon bitch from hell moved to another county at the end of ninth grade. I literally fell to my knees and screamed, "There is a G-d!!" when I found out. My family was so shocked to see me actually smiling. I would say I was still a lot to handle after that though, with hormones and lasting psychological scars. So for me ongoing dealing with depression was a confounding factor in how I acted (mainly at home, since that's a safe space I could act out).

Being a teen-aged girl is hard, It is the time for parents to let some things go and give some space. It is hard to watch mistakes being made but these need to happen.

They balk at a lot of parental questions. They can be moody and on an emotional roller coaster, Their friends are important and it often feels like they care about them more than you. Start an open dialogue when they're younger-they will come around to you easier if they have before. Appearance is everything- they feel that they're being judged by their peers ALL of the time, Everything is embarrassing...they need time to find themselves. Answer questions honestly. Try not to freak out or judge if they're explicit. 

Resist the urge to snap back when they're all angsty and moody...let it go. She'll come back. 

9 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Not every girl is going to be a horrible little asshole during her teen years. Yes, hormones and emotions are very real and confusing at that time of life - but not every girl is going to be horrible to raise through those years. I find it mildly insulting when people imply that they will be or when people helpfully offer their sympathies for me and my husband because our daughter is 100% bound to be a holy terror as a teen. How about we give our seven month old time to actually get to the teen years before assuming the worst? Is that too much to ask?

Agreed. I actually think there's a lot of internalized misogyny that comes out in some of these comments.

Personally, while I am sure I was a challenge to my parents at times (like any teenager), I was a pretty good kid. Always good grades, very athletic, never got into any kind of real trouble. My brother, on the other hand, had my parents constantly called into the headmaster's office for all kinds of shenanigans, got into fights, constantly broke any rules my parents made, and finally dropped out of high school because the world ended when his first girlfriend broke up with him and they had all their classes together. So there.

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I think "when does it get better" can depend on a lot. The awful behavior can be a combination of hormones, friend drama, bullying, school stress, etc. 

Yup, that combo sounds right. It is not even every day with teen girl angst.

thanks everyone for the encouragement & stories.

49 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Agreed. I actually think there's a lot of internalized misogyny that comes out in some of these comments.

I totally agree. Is it really "awful"? I remember worrying about mine going through tough emotional  times..... finding their way but "awful"? No.

As the Duggs say - "It was a season of life." I have 2 grown daughters, and honestly don't remember it being so terrible, 

I also hate the term "terrible twos"

According to my mom I got better when I got a steady boyfriend at 17 and started having sex.... 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived