IGNORED

Jinjer: Shopping in Bookstores

Coconut Flan

20 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

It's unlikely I'll ever have kids, so this is all theoretical. I can see deciding against it, because from what I understand there can be lots of negative side effects to the current treatments. But if a treatment were to develop that didn't have as many ill effects and my daughter were already towering over kids in kindergarten, I would probably go for it, especially if she were shy. I really think it can be a quality of life issue.

@SapphireSlytherin Oh  I know, those calculations can be off. I was supposed to be 5'8"... :my_confused:

Kids grow at such different paces, though, that I'm not sure being taller in kindergarten is much to go on. Yes, I know, you are starting with genes for more height. But, it is still just not always an indication. I was one of the shortest kids in my class every year until 8th grade (and given that my mom is only 5'2", everyone was assuming I'd just be short, except my dad's family is tall. And I mean TALL--my 6'5" brother is number 5 on the height list among the grandsons). Spring and summer before 8th grade, I grew 8 inches to my present height of not quite 5'7". The tallest, biggest, best athlete among the boys in my 8th grade class never really grew much past the 5'8" he was then while some of the much shorter boys left him in their dust within a year or two. He never started on a varsity team in high school. 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nausicaa said:

He was 15 at the time. The age of consent in France is 15. So it was not a crime. 

However, that does not mean it was not ethically dubious. She was his teacher and in a position of authority over him. She was 39 years old. She was married and had two kids. He was a child.  

If they had met ten years later, I would be all about it. But as it stands, I have a lot of problems with what she did, and don't understand why because the genders are reversed, some people celebrate it.

Completely agreed. My country has 15 as age of consent too and while I don't have much of a problem with a 15 year old having sex with someone 18-20 years old I would not think it was OK with a 39 year old and definitely not a teacher. I don't get it either as a 35 year old myself what you see in someone that young. Would I date a 25 year old? Maybe but not anyone younger than that I think.

6 hours ago, benye said:

I do find it weird there's no term for an older man, 

Mr MIO occasionally gets called "cradle snatcher" which is as offensive as cougar, if not more so 'cos it infantilises me too and I hate that! He wears it very well and throws it back at them with some variation on "ah well, I've already done toyboy, so it was time to upgrade". - For the record, he's the most respectful man towards women - he just loves leaving nosy parkers with their jaws flapping. His ex was 16 years older, I'm 14 years younger.

Mr MIO occasionally gets called "cradle snatcher" which is as offensive as cougar, if not more so 'cos it infantilises me too and I hate that! (snipped)

No idea if I cut the quote properly so apologies if I messed up! My first time doing it.
I've actually never heard this term before but I agree, it may as well be more offensive. Maybe it is a regional thing or perhaps just the people I know, but I have a few friends who completely prefer older men only. In fact, one shut someone down over his age not being "older enough"

5 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Unpopular opinion---but if I ever had a daughter and it looked like she would be very tall (my height or taller), I would seriously consider medical intervention before puberty to limit her adult height. I try not to dwell on it, but I do think my height has really limited my opportunities in life. 

I'm the opposite. My parents had me get growth hormone shots because I was projected to be under 5' and they were concerned about bullying and such. Which was a valid concern since I was small enough that one day in second grade some kids picked me up and threw me in the recycling bin.

ETA: Maybe those shots are why my feet are disproportionately large compared to my height....

7 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I'm the opposite. My parents had me get growth hormone shots because I was projected to be under 5' and they were concerned about bullying and such. Which was a valid concern since I was small enough that one day in second grade some kids picked me up and threw me in the recycling bin.

That's horrible about the bin. I know of a child (high school friend's niece) who was put on growth hormone. She was very short at the age of 3 she was mistaken for a very talkative 1 year old. I was a little surprised about the hormones because just about everyone on her maternal side of the family are 5 feet 6 or shorter. 

3 hours ago, season of life said:

Wasn't Emmanuel Macron's wife his teacher? I find that incredibly skeevy. Underage is underage.

The age of consent in France is 15 he wasn't underage but stil an abuse of power. 

55 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

ETA: Maybe those shots are why my feet are disproportionately large compared to my height....

I'm under 5'. Didn't get bullied as much about my height, but just couldn't go on roller coasters for a long time, which sucked. These days, what pisses me off the most is some of the skeevy comments I've heard about my height and frame. "You're just a like a doll" in particular creeped me out a lot. Funnily enough, though, I love taller, older dudes because I find the power/strength differential kinda fun.

I'm 5'3" and my husband is 6'3". He is the first tall guy I dated. Before that, all my boyfriends were 5'6" and under.

16 minutes ago, jerkit said:

I'm 5'3" and my husband is 6'3". He is the first tall guy I dated. Before that, all my boyfriends were 5'6" and under.

I dated a 5'5'' guy. A 6'6'' mutual friend called him Combo Breaker because he was the first dude under 6' I'd ever dated. I like 'em tall.

Did Macron and his wife admit to having a sexual relationship when he was a teenager? Did they perhaps have a non-sexual romance at that point? By the way, Mary Kay Letourneau and her husband are getting divorced. (He was her student; she went to prison for having sex with him when he was underage.)

I'm 5'2". All through school I was the second shortest in class. But Mum was 5'0' and Dad 5'5". We were the post war generation that had a seriously good diet - free milk, balanced school dinners. Most of my friends ended at 5'4" to 5'7".

12 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

I'm 4'11" and I would much rather date a short guy or girl, and find short guys extremely attractive. I love their heights. And it's such a pleasure walking next to them. I wouldn't reject anyone because they were tall, but I would prefer a short partner. 

LOL, I'm 5'0", and before I got married, the shortest guy I ever dated (save middle school) was about 5'11" or over. I dated two guys who are 6'4" (sorry, mixing verb tenses there because I assume they're still 6'4" :D ). Hubby? 5'7", and he's a "tall" one in his clan, on both sides. He has an uncle who's 5'10", and he's considered a giant. 

I'm closed-record adopted, so all I know is through my bio mother. She is (was? don't know) 5'3", father about 5'7". I actually found my bio dad, because it's easier to trace Portuguese roots than any other European country. I know what happened to him (a tragedy), but I still don't know if he was really 5'7", as if that really matters. I'm fucking short and have to wear heels even with petite pants. Fuck my legs. 

I was 5'2" in third grade. I still am. I'm 36. 

Me too!! I haven't grown since I hit 5'2" in third grade - it's kind of funny because my husband is the shorty of his family at 6'1". His sister is the next shortest at 6'2" - and my daughter appears to take after him physically. She's entering 3rd grade - so I think she'll surpass me soon.

4 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Did Macron and his wife admit to having a sexual relationship when he was a teenager? Did they perhaps have a non-sexual romance at that point? By the way, Mary Kay Letourneau and her husband are getting divorced. (He was her student; she went to prison for having sex with him when he was underage.)

I read he fell in love with her and told her he'd meet her again in 10 years time, then left school. And he did meet her 10 years later and they got married. 

I am not as appalled by this story b/c it is told that they did not have any relationship when he was 15. Now we can't and we won't know the truth value of that but I choose to believe that until one of them comes out and says otherwise. 

Is it an abuse of power if there was no relationship between the two of them when he was still her student? 

13 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

The problem was that she was Macron's teacher or teacher at his school! And of course that he was underage. IIRC in most European countries an underage (u18) can't lawfully have a sexual relationship with someone over 18(?).

Most European countries have ages of consent at 15-17. Here in the UK is 16. 

However, in the case of France and the U.K. although he was over the normal age of consent, it was illegal because she was his teacher. The age of consent grows to 18 when the person is in a position of trust and authority over the young person

'France statutory rape law is violated when an individual has consensual sexual intercourse with a person under age 15. The age of consent rises to age 18 when the older party is an ascedant or a person having legal or factual authority over the victim, or when the offender is abusing the authority conferred by his functions.' 

https://www.ageofconsent.net/world/france

13 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

Whatever happened to the term "cradle robber?" It's pretty bad, but not as gendered as the others. 

When my other half first told his mum about me she called him a 'cradle snatcher'. There's only 3 years between us and at the time I was 19 (turning 20 a month later) and he had just turned 23 a month prior. 

I've hated that word ever since 

ETA - On the height thing I'm 5'7 almost on the dot and other half is 6'3 plus a bit. It's the first time I've ever felt small because I was always one of the tallest in my family and among my friends and dates guys around my own height

13 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I dated a 5'5'' guy. A 6'6'' mutual friend called him Combo Breaker because he was the first dude under 6' I'd ever dated. I like 'em tall.

Ah. I like 'em short! I'm 5ft 10 and a whopping 4 inches taller than my 5ft 6 spouse. It's ok, though. I can't wear heels because I walk like a bad drag queen in them.

I have to tell. There is a secret eye-contact, nod thing that goes on whenever tall lady/short man couples spy each other in the street.... and they always look happy with each other !

8 minutes ago, WhoompThereItIs said:

I joke and call my husband my sugar daddy. He's 5 days older than me.

My husband calls me "the older woman" because I'm one month - to the day - older than he is. And for that entire month, I'm a year older. I hear it every.single.day.

I am 4 days older than my hubs- every Dec 21-25th I am the older woman.

I'm six months older than my fiance, and we started dating a week before his 18th birthday, so I got a lot of teasing for that whole damn week. (We're 29/28 now)

My husband and I were both born in '92 but I was born a few months before him. He tells EVERYONE he is into older women because he thinks it funny.

My old chorus teacher from HS has the same birthday as his wife. He is 2 years older. So on his Facebook page many of his former students write Happy Birthday Mr./Mrs. B. because so many of us remember that they share the same day.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived