IGNORED

Jinjer: Shopping in Bookstores

Coconut Flan

It  looks like a wool jacket. Camel colored wool jackets are considered a staple and traditional in color  where I am from, so she gets a pass.

I personally never button jackets or do it partially just like she did. And I hope that she uses the spare button that they usually attach to the jackets and sews it on. Or asks Jana for help.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I literally do not see anything wrong with her outfit, except the missed button I guess, but I didn't notice that until someone else pointed it out. Also maybe it's my phone but that coat looks like it could be a tan/brown color in real life even if it appears more mustard-y in the picture. Either way, I think she looks fine.

On 2-6-2017 at 6:05 PM, formergothardite said:

If you haven't checked out John Shrader(he is married to Anna Duggar's sister), he is practically using the Poisonwood Bible as a handbook for being a missionary. 

I tend to hoard books. I would use the library more, but I also tend to not return books on time and end up owing the library my first born child and part of my soul. 

Hahahahahaha you just described me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:handsex:

On 2-6-2017 at 6:50 PM, FleeJanaFree said:

I've learned that unless it's an author I absolutely *know* I love and will appreciate, (Rowling, Picoult,etc) I don't buy without borrowing from the library first. Way too expensive, and I simply don't have the space to store books I'll never reread. Libraries are wonderful.  Im actually considering storing some of my books in my kitchen cabinets, I've run out of room!

I do have an embarrassing secret I'll let you on FJ in on: I don't have kids but would really like some. I think there's like a 90% chance that in reality I won't have any, but that ten percent of me can't let up on my dream and I have like 7 boxes of kids books I want my future children  to read. I call it my box of shame. I've got all the Dahl books, dr seusses collection, Beverley clearly and Judy Blume books, amber brown series, E.B. white books,  American Girl and Nancy Drew and Encyclopedia Brown and Nate the Great and Box ar Children series (I was big into child detectives as a kid),p, knuffle bunny books, I'll love you forever, what wonderful things you will be, Nancy Tillman books....like I said, it's extensive, and frankly a bit pitying. I keep some in my living room ostentatiously 'for my nieces and nephews', but the majority are squirreled away in closets and under my bed. I've always wondered how my parents would react  Cleaning out my home if they outlive me. :)

You really shouldn't have to call them your boxes of shame, and I also think there's nothing pitying about it! You know what actually qualifies a good children's book? It's if an adult can appreciate it too.
And besides that, what you want to collect in your own home is really nothing to be ashamed about. I also never like it when people say something is their guilty pleasure. As long as your pleasure isn't against the law or hurtful to another living being, there's no guilt in pleasure! I repeat: there's no guilt in pleasure!

I'm wearing sweat pants and a 20 year old t-shirt. Both are heather gray, but not matching heather gray. Of course, I'm working from home today, so my cat is the only other creature to see this ensemble.

9 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Aside from the missing button, I think the coat is a nice shape on her (the colour could be better). I really hope she has the lower buttons unbuttoned for comfort, and not to hide a bump.

Schrodinger's Uterus strikes again.

I didn't notice she only did 1 button, I honestly think it is how the coat should be worn style wise.  But I'm also call baby bump here, because Schrodinger's Uterus. I'm really hoping it is just the extra bulk of the coat that is messing with my eyes. 

1 hour ago, mpheels said:

I'm wearing sweat pants and a 20 year old t-shirt. Both are heather gray, but not matching heather gray. Of course, I'm working from home today, so my cat is the only other creature to see this ensemble.

@mpheels I'm working from home as well. My extra lovely ensemble for today: Ratty T-shirt, old socks which don't match and wrinkled sleep pants from Target. Wallace the Wonder Cat has his back to me fast asleep. 

Me three! Large bleached stained baggy checked shirt and hubby's old ratty baggy jogging pants. Comfy is the word of the day I think!!

Ditto, except now I just showered and put on a tank top and shorts. We don't have a/c in our house and it's supposed to get up into the 80's today. My office becomes a little sweat lodge but at least it's not raining in Washington today!

On 6/3/2017 at 4:35 PM, Karma said:

If jinger wants to spend lots of time reading books, I'd strongly suggest that she not get hooked on reading fj. This forum has dramatically reduced the number of books I would otherwise have read over the last couple of years!

Sorry if we're way off topic now, I'm not caught up, but I agree with this so strongly! 

Anyway, I just added our fourth bookshelf to our two-bedroom apartment (not counting the various places where stacks of books sort of end up), and I totally thought of this thread :) I know book quantity is not an accurate indicator of how much of a reader a person is, but I love our book collection even though we otherwise lean to the minimalist side. I love that my parents have given me so many books, and that my boyfriend and I combined our libraries when we made the life-partner commitment. It's just amazing to watch my books grow and change.

I'm not above getting rid of them as needed though. My best friend worked in a library throughout high school, and he reaaaaally made me disillusioned of overly-romanticizing paper books. Libraries destroy a lot of (terrible, damaged) donations.

That's how I buttoned my peacoat in the winter when I was pregnant. Butting over the bump made them look like they were about to pop off.

Anyways, who cares if people want to snark on their outfits? Let them. 

14 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

ould be better). I really hope she has the lower buttons unbuttoned for comfort, and not to hide a bump.

If she had a "bump" in March when the photo was taken we would be having an entirely different discussion in this thread now. 

5 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

I went on a first date with my t-shirt inside out. Only realised it halfway through coffee and excused myself to go put it on the right way out. Jinger gets a pass. 

Did your date notice the change?

I'm just going to assume that they were doing Hanky Panky in the closet and forgot to completely button everything before the picture. There you go, Radar Online, a new ( rumoured) story for you

3 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

@mpheels I'm working from home as well. My extra lovely ensemble for today: Ratty T-shirt, old socks which don't match and wrinkled sleep pants from Target. Wallace the Wonder Cat has his back to me fast asleep. 

Tell me Wallace is making a sartorial statement and he has a blog I can follow and my happiness will be complete!

Jinger looks pretty classy in that photo.

Then again, I don't think peacoats will ever go out of style.

As for me, I'm wearing a Pink Floyd tank top I got from a Walmart men's department (how "defrauding"! :tw_scream:) and a black maxi skirt (which I wear for comfort).

SAHM with 2 kids and a dog.  I have yet to get back to pre-baby #2 weight, and I HATE shopping for clothes. So I exclusively wear sweats and leggings and I have one pair of jeans that fits for church and other "dressier" occasions. The only coat I own is a Columbia jacket. Jinger looks great. 

13 minutes ago, treehugger said:

SAHM with 2 kids and a dog.  I have yet to get back to pre-baby #2 weight, and I HATE shopping for clothes. So I exclusively wear sweats and leggings and I have one pair of jeans that fits for church and other "dressier" occasions. The only coat I own is a Columbia jacket. Jinger looks great. 

I remember those days! After #2 was born, my staple wardrobe was 2 elastic waisted  skirts, matching cardigans and various t shirts which didn't colour clash too badly. Hiking sandals finished the ensemble! 

The only coat I had that fit was large, green and waterproof with a huge hood. Great for wearing in the rain whilst pushing a double buggy around town. 

Caught up! I'm currently at work in an office with a normal cardigan and black pants... also kitty-patterned socks and a Radiohead T shirt. Some of my coworkers are in athletic clothes. Yay for silicon valley company culture!

I love talking about clothes and fashion, but it's such a fine line to not be a jerk about it. Everything is just opinion/personal preference, there is no right/wrong... except "oops" moments like that button, but it's probably more embarrassing for Jinger than it is grating to look at, so I wouldn't rub it in.

I've barely watched any Counting on, but I'm starting to think I missed a lot regarding Jessa's attitude toward JinJer's PDA. However, it is totally normal for older kids to feel held to stricter standards than younger kids (oldest kid here, so, biased). I really suspect that's what's at play here.

My daughter and I have nasty "summer colds". We've been in pajamas for 36 hours (isn't that so so gross??!) 

But,  We win. 

52 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

My daughter and I have nasty "summer colds". We've been in pajamas for 36 hours (isn't that so so gross??!) 

Summer colds are the worst.  I have gotten a few of them.  Hope you both feel better soon. 

I'm currently in nylon shorts and a t-shirt from my high school's foreign language department, because what else is there to wear on your day off of TAing? :my_cool:

On 6/2/2017 at 8:56 PM, VelociRapture said:

I've thought about that. Velocibaby will be 6 months on Monday and she's getting very vocal and she's trying hard to be mobile - she constantly babbles (so cute) and is constantly squirming (she managed to roll belly to back twice since yesterday.) So she doesn't have the attention span necessary for chapter books just yet. Lol!

Very late to this discussion, but my boy is 5 and has been listening to HP since he was born.

never read any, stopped watching after #3 but I loooove the recordings.

I fondly remember a fraternity dance I returned home from at 5am with my formal on inside out and my pantyhose in my purse! Good times...

@FleeJanaFree Even if you don't have a child of your own, I think you should find a child you care about to share your book collection with. You seem like you would be a wonderful fairy reading mother.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived