IGNORED

Jinjer: Shopping in Bookstores

Coconut Flan

23 hours ago, Fluffy14 said:

Jeremy's spiel on missionaries...

I guess we all now know why neither the Dullards nor the Vuolos follow one another on social media.

About a year ago, Jeremy was on some radio show with his parents who gave their testimonies: well-oiled tales of how they left ebil Catholicism for evangelical Protestantism. 

It only has 300 hits, so I don't know if it made the rounds here last year or not, but I'll post it anyway for anyone who has an hour to work on their computer/play on their phone and listen to this in the bakground. 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

"You know what's bigger than Aids? Sin." - This honestly sounds like something someone would say as a joke. I can't believe that came out of his mouth.

Well actually I can, because Jeremy always seemed like the scariest and most controlling of the Duggar-in-laws.

He actually said that?! When/where?

2 hours ago, eye_browz said:

Jeremy hasn't had much time to get to know Derick since they have been in Central America during most of their relationship. So, my opinion is that he's believing everything Jinger says.  (This is just my opinion.... I don't know what's doing on here).

I thought Jinger and Jeremy really started to 'see each other's hearts for the Lord' while on a mission trip in CA? Ben invited him and I just remember Jinger talking about him singing while they worked. I could be off there or it could be why he feels comfortable throwing shade. I remember going on mission trips in high school and there was always someone in your group who you wanted to smack by the end of the first day, usually the self proclaimed expert.

Someone else (can't find it) asked if GCC does a lot of charity work. I don't know about church wise, but recall he volunteered in San Antonio for non secular stuff as well, though most of that might have been Scorpions related. Soccer clinics for kiddos and at Morgan's Wonderland (theme park for special needs individuals with full accessibility), right next to their stadium. He might have been at the prom, but Tim Tebow came and got all the good boy points and media gushing (to be fair, he was super nice).

Anyone know if Jeremy or Jinger are learning Spanish or speak it?

Wow, oh wow! Pickles (on FB) just posted a sermon Jeremy Vuolo preached on April 9 in which he calls out unprepared, untrained people who want to be missionaries. This starts around the 22-minute mark. A few minutes later he specifically mentions "Nepal," leaving little doubt that he is referring to the Dillards. (Derrick had been on a mission in Nepal). Wonder what else Jeremy will call the Duggars out on?

Pickles likely got that sermon from here, as we've been talking about it on the JinJer thread since Friday night.

Way to be subtle with that shade there, Jeremy! :pb_lol: The only way he could have made it more obvious he was talking about D-wreck and Jillymuffin is if he had added a "*cough**cough* Derrick *cough**cough* Jill" or two in there:popcorn:

ETA: This all just makes me laugh. All this fundie peacocking and posturing about who's holier and less likely to burn is so funny. 

I'm not convinced that there is as much shade as everyone else seems to think.

1. Jeremy has been on a mission-cation with the Duggars before so he was okay with their type of mission trips at some point.

2. Jeremy talks about people not being supported by a church. The Dullards were commissioned (or whatever it's called) by a church.

3. Jeremy specifically mentioned Nepal and the Amazon but instead of being about the Dullards, it could be because they've told stories about rogue missionaries they've seen (especially in Nepal where being a missionary is a no-no).

4. Jeremy discusses the missionaries expect the church to pay them a full salary but the Dullards are constantly asking for donations and Dwreck was working back in he states even if it was substitute teaching which we figured was part-time and irregular at best.

I Can't stand Jill and Derick and their smug grifting so I like the idea of anyone calling them out. That said, I find it hard to believe that any Duggar, such as Jinger, would have the awareness that the Dillards are obnoxious grifters doing little good for the world. 

:popcorn: I hope he throws shade at the Shrader's next. John won't hold back if provoked 

This is already being discussed in the Jinger thread or the Dillards thread (I'm sorry, I can't recall which now - I think the Dillards).

Pickles has to still lurk FJ. She'd lose 99% of her material if she didn't.

I have long suspected that there have always been tensions between the older Duggar sisters. I don't think Jeremy is driving a wedge between Jill and Jinger. I think that wedge has existed all along.

Jeremy, pissing off Catholics in a predominantly Catholic city will not win you many converts. It's people like you that give the rest of us Evangelical Christians a bad rap.

On 6/9/2017 at 11:24 PM, immodest_countenance said:

More specifically evangelizing in a way that was "strategic". He uses a positive example of christians trying to evangelize syrian refugee at refugee checkpoints.

Isn't all of this just exploitative? They're deliberately targeting vulnerable people who maybe don't have the same level of context or background knowledge to make fully informed decisions.

It's manipulative.

For people who hate Catholics so much, fundies sure do seem to put a lot of weight in the "works" people do on Earth - the only difference is that while Catholics see "good works" as feeding the hungry & helping the needy, fundies seem to define "good works" as wearing skirts & yelling at Catholics on street corners.

Jeremy's shirt is too small. It binds in the armpits and when he raises his arms, his cuffs stick. Besides, the sleeves are too short. Oh, and all that "purpose-prayerful-problem-preparation" stuff... is his audience so stupid he has to entertain them with alliteration?

22 minutes ago, WhyNotJulie said:

For people who hate Catholics so much, fundies sure do seem to put a lot of weight in the "works" people do on Earth - the only difference is that while Catholics see "good works" as feeding the hungry & helping the needy, fundies seem to define "good works" as wearing skirts & yelling at Catholics on street corners.

I went to Catholic school (as a non-Catholic), got sucked into evangelicalism in college, walked away from all church after six years of spiritual abuse as a young teacher in a Christian school, then taught in Catholic school, converted and married a Catholic. 

I have been saying for a long, long time that evangelicalism is way more legalistic than modern Catholics have ever thought about being. The evangelical world I was in told me what I could drink, what music I could listen to, what television shows and movies I was allowed to watch, policed my wardrobe and accessories, dictated where I could and could not go and when I could go there and more. The Catholic Church ultimately teaches that members are to form a strong Christian conscience and then determine these matters of daily living based on that conscience not the dictates of the church. 

As for self-righteousness (referring to the title of the Vuolo's testimony video linked above), in my Catholic parish this morning we were told that if we believe that our own freedom or material gain is more important than the basic human rights of another person, we are not loving as God has commanded us to love. Contrast that with the vitriol about people with different beliefs their son seems to preach on a weekly basis, then tell me which church is self-righteous. 

37 minutes ago, WhyNotJulie said:

For people who hate Catholics so much, fundies sure do seem to put a lot of weight in the "works" people do on Earth - the only difference is that while Catholics see "good works" as feeding the hungry & helping the needy, fundies seem to define "good works" as wearing skirts & yelling at Catholics on street corners.

Yeah. The Catholic Church isn't perfect by any means and I have some differences with them theologically and on social issues... but I much prefer their version of good works to the type these Fundies promote. 

And at least with Catholics, you have a genuine leader now that you can look up to. Pope Francis is far from ideal in some ways, but he does seem to honestly want to do some good in his current position. Compare that to IBLP - who do they look up to now? Bill Gothard, who was kicked out for sexually harassing young women? Gil Bates and Dr. Stephen Paine, who concealed Gothard's abuse? 

5 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

I have been saying for a long, long time that evangelicalism is way more legalistic than modern Catholics have ever thought about being. The evangelical world I was in told me what I could drink, what music I could listen to, what television shows and movies I was allowed to watch, policed my wardrobe and accessories, dictated where I could and could not go and when I could go there and more. The Catholic Church ultimately teaches that members are to form a strong Christian conscience and then determine these matters of daily living based on that conscience not the dictates of the church. 

As for self-righteousness (referring to the title of the Vuolo's testimony video linked above), in my Catholic parish this morning we were told that if we believe that our own freedom or material gain is more important than the basic human rights of another person, we are not loving as God has commanded us to love. Contrast that with the vitriol about people with different beliefs their son seems to preach on a weekly basis, then tell me which church is self-righteous. 

I feel like I learn something new about the religion of my childhood every time you post. It's really helped me realize the Church isn't what I thought it was for most of my teen years and adult life. Thank you for that. :) 

You know, I always thought the Catholic church was hella problematic, but more along the lines of their continuing history of misogyny and colonialism. 

Reading about protestant fundies actually makes Catholics I know look tame. 

I mean even the Catholics I know that vote Republican BECAUSE ABORTION actually make an effort to be otherwise decent human beings. I can believe that at least most conservative catholics I know genuinely want to make the world a better place. And it seems that the Catholic Church to a certain extent is self-aware.

These fundie-gelicals are NONE of the above. Jeremy, though he seems in some ways to be less dumb than the rest of them, needs to fuck off. 

Also, I never entirely believed that the sisters were all sunshine and rainbows and BFFs 5-eva. I wouldn't put it past Jinger to now be like "What now bitch, my husband is hotter and wealthier than yours, plus he ain't Dad's bitch" since I get the sense Jill isn't the most popular.

Also, I know that this is really normal for fundies and it's bad of me to speculate, but Jeremy gives me all sorts of "potential domestic abuser" vibes. Am I wrong, y'all? Please let me know if I'm way off base, because I want to be. 

While on the topic of the Catholic church, I think the priest has a big role to play in all of this. In my hometown, we had a relatively liberal priest who talked about love, being a volunteer, making your place in this world, and being the best version of you. It was great and I think it did bring people back in. Then we received a new priest, an old school you are going to hell type. I will admit that  switched churches, I couldn't deal with that kind of pressure. Flash forward and there is another new priest who is so involved with the area. He's really practicing what he preaches and it's wonderful to see. 

Now on the topic of Jeremy and other fundie preachers/missionaries; don't they get sick of judging and telling people that they are going to hell? 

On 6/3/2017 at 9:03 AM, subsaharanafrica said:

The language difference is real.

Once upon a time in college/university the British guy sitting next to me in class asked if he could borrow a rubber. After spending a minute pondering 1) why he was asking me, 2) why he thought I had one in class, and 3) why he only wanted to borrow it, I went ahead and gave him the condom I happened to have in my purse. So yeah, it turns out that a rubber is an eraser. 

I also know another British guy who used to work at a gift shop kiosk at a ferry terminal. Some Americans once came up asking if he had any fanny packs. He wondered around for a bit before deciding that they must be looking for tampons and got them a box. 

What the heck is a fanny pack????   I have so many images and none of them are PG:jawdrop:

@Four is Enough alliteration seems to be a thing in some preaching circles. It's supposed to be an easy starting point for writing a sermon, and it's also supposed to make it memorable. Not sure if it's actually taught in seminaries, but in denominations/churches that only require training under an ordained minister (in my experience Free Will Baptists, lots of nondenominationals, some IFBs), it's part of the training. 
I still remember a sermon my nephew wrote back in 1999 when he was "training" under our then-FWB pastor, "Y2K." All the bullet points started with the phrase "Yours to" followed by a word starting with K or the K sound. Yours to Keep, Yours to Carry, Yours to (something I can't remember). I guess it was only partially effective, lol.
Thankfully nephew met a worldy young woman & lost interest in playing preacher shortly after that.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived