IGNORED

Dillards 30 - Lawsuit Tweets and Leaving Danger America

choralcrusader8613

I fluctuate with baby names for my potential kids. One dilemma for me is that I don't know if I want a name from my culture or an American name. I want to honor my ancestry but at the same time, I don't like a lot of the names. I love names like Lucy or Alec but they give no cultural identity when you take my Central Asian roots into account.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/5/2017 at 0:12 PM, Taylurker said:

Samuel Scott is a nice name. 

Where did they announce the middle name is Scott?

Just now, SHERA said:

Where did they announce the middle name is Scott?

It was on Derdick's twitter, then they announced it on their website.

I had a girls name picked out for 7 years before I got pregnant. We didn't name her that, and no regrets. My husband picked her first name (one I had never considered) and I picked her middle. I agree with the pp who said the child makes the name.

1 hour ago, season of life said:

I fluctuate with baby names for my potential kids. One dilemma for me is that I don't know if I want a name from my culture or an American name. I want to honor my ancestry but at the same time, I don't like a lot of the names. I love names like Lucy or Alec but they give no cultural identity when you take my Central Asian roots into account.

You could do a middle name that honors your cultural identity, but, I know the feeling if you're worried about it not flowing well together. 

On 6/6/2017 at 7:32 AM, mpheels said:

I initially cringed at the SS initials, but his full initials will be SSD - Solid State Drive!

I guess I am missing something, what is wrong with SS?  I was worried that it would be another strange name. I am wondering if Jill and Jessa are trying to outdo each other when naming their children and forgetting entirely that the child has to live with that name. All being said, I am glad it is merely Samuel Scott.

2 minutes ago, sansan said:

I guess I am missing something, what is wrong with SS?  

The SS were a division of murderous evil people in Nazi Germany.  

Just now, Greendoor said:

The SS were a division of murderous evil people in Nazi Germany.  

I am aware of that but never put it together like that. Nah, Samuel Scott is a fine name and would be proud of a grandchild named as such. We can all come up with reasons for something that is not really valid. Besides, Jill knows nothing of Nazi Germany, wouldn't you agree? Nothing like that at the dining room table.

I would definitely agree that Jill only knows what can be taught using Bible verses.

Two disciples plus two disciples = ?  Answer: 4

Bonus points (possible 5):  John and Andrew, and James and Peter. Because  Gospel of John -starts with J, the Duggar way!

The Gospel of Mark has them in a different order. 

43 minutes ago, sansan said:

I am aware of that but never put it together like that. Nah, Samuel Scott is a fine name and would be proud of a grandchild named as such. We can all come up with reasons for something that is not really valid. Besides, Jill knows nothing of Nazi Germany, wouldn't you agree? Nothing like that at the dining room table.

I believe the Duggar know about the Holocaust. Haven't some of them been to the Holocaust museum? They've definitely referenced it to further their anti choice agenda. :my_angry:

25 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I believe the Duggar know about the Holocaust. Haven't some of them been to the Holocaust museum? They've definitely referenced it to further their anti choice agenda. :my_angry:

Of course they do. I would not have called my child an "SS" name just as I do not buy shirts with a "88" on it ("H-eil H-itler" - explaned here I am no neonazi), but then I am German and sensitive to that. 

And I do not want to believe they chose that name on purpose for that reason, but it is acknowledgable.

Eh, so far I'm not a fan of the names Jessa or Jill have chosen for their sons. The worst is Spurgeon but the rest just aren't my taste. Not that the opinion of some internet stranger matters. 

12 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Did I mention we had no idea if we were having a boy or girl? US Army hospital wouldn't tell the sex of the baby to anyone. And also, military birth process:  Go to hospital, labor unmedicated, deliver unmedicated, walk to recovery room, walk to semi-private room, etc. 

What year was this? I've had two babies at two army hospitals, where I had great care, knew the sex of the baby at the anatomy scan, got epidural, and had a private recovery room. Nothing fancy, but you know, standard medical care. 

I kept my first baby's name private but told people the second time because being secretive about it ended up feeling weird. 

On 5/29/2017 at 10:05 PM, Rachel333 said:

Just lighting alone can make a face look dramatically different. There's a cool video showing this:

I found this one very interesting.

1 hour ago, Pukingpearl said:

What year was this? I've had two babies at two army hospitals, where I had great care, knew the sex of the baby at the anatomy scan, got epidural, and had a private recovery room. Nothing fancy, but you know, standard medical care. . 

1990. And it was Fort Polk, so...

6 hours ago, sansan said:

Two years ago, I wouldn't have batted an eye. Given the current resurgence* of white supremacist extremism in the US, I'm extra sensitive to it. Jill probably doesn't know what the SS was, but Derrick should. I don't think they're malicious, just clueless as always.

*Yes, I know the white supremacists have been there all along, but they rightfully existed on the margins of society. They are reentering the mainstream now it's disturbing.

I don't think I would have though of the SS connotation personally. It made me think of SS Dillard and how it kind of sounds like a navy ship. 

Eh, so far I'm not a fan of the names Jessa or Jill have chosen for their sons. The worst is Spurgeon but the rest just aren't my taste. Not that the opinion of some internet stranger matters. 

I feel like there's some regret to Spurgeon. I wish she would have just put Elliot as his first name, it would definitely suit him.
Spurgeon does not exactly suit anyone though.

6 minutes ago, benye said:

I feel like there's some regret to Spurgeon. I wish she would have just put Elliot as his first name, it would definitely suit him.
Spurgeon does not exactly suit anyone though.

I do think it's interesting that the second time around, they didn't go with Wilberforce Henry but put the ugly last name in the middle where it's at least...better. 

I don't know about the person making the name. Some people's names just don't fit them. One of my friend's Dad's, his name is Andrew but he chooses to go by his middle name, Martin. He looks like a Martin but he does not look like an Andrew. That's just me, though. :) 

I don't know about the person making the name. Some people's names just don't fit them. One of my friend's Dad's, his name is Andrew but he chooses to go by his middle name, Martin. He looks like a Martin but he does not look like an Andrew. That's just me, though. [emoji4] 

I actually feel this way about myself at times. I always hated my first name, very common. My full name is very common as it is, but growing up I've come to know several people with even my first and middle name together. I always wanted to go by a nickname of my middle name but I feel it's too late.

I like the name. Israel and Samuel go well together. I just really hope he doesn't have Zika or any other problems.

I have a coworker who's mom didn't have the spelling nailed down before she had him, so she misspelled it on the birth certificate. (because of course she was exhausted after giving birth, and quite possibly on some heavy duty painkillers to boot. Not exactly thinking clearly, which isn't her fault)

Coworker gets called a lot of interesting nick names because of the odd spelling, even though it's a very common name.

27 minutes ago, Trynn said:

I have a coworker who's mom didn't have the spelling nailed down before she had him, so she misspelled it on the birth certificate. (because of course she was exhausted after giving birth, and quite possibly on some heavy duty painkillers to boot. Not exactly thinking clearly, which isn't her fault)

Coworker gets called a lot of interesting nick names because of the odd spelling, even though it's a very common name.

I worked with a woman whose sister was called Francis, for just that reason.   Spelled wrong on the BC and they just never bothered to change it when she was a kid.

15 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Ugh don't remind me. They make me sooooooo ragey with that crap. My grandma is a Holocaust survivor and almost all of her extended family were sent to death camps. 

They are such assholes. I hope a gang of Holocaust survivors kick their asses.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived