IGNORED

Sierra - Return of the Strawberries and New Babies

choralcrusader8613

6 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

I like to balance it out though! I usually have a cut-off time where I take off my phone each night and just read a book or knit, just something that isn't using electricity. Sort of the same in the morning, but I'm usually running first thing which I use my iPod (do people still have those? I get made fun of even though I just don't want all this space of music on my phone).

I use my ipod too! (DH as well)

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three months new to FJ and never noticed Sierra Jo until the most recent episode. Can someone give me a quick rundown on why she's annoying? It was hard for me to get an objective take because I've already been biased against her from reading FJ.

Things I would have noticed even without FJ influence... I can't figure out why so many things that could have been done ahead of time were being done at the last minute. The last minute brownies didn't make sense. The dirty smoky ovens made even less sense. All those people and nobody can clean the oven? They can't afford a housekeeper? What the heck? 

I still use my iPod to play Bakery Story.  I started playing it a good 6-7 years ago and haven't been able to stop!

On 2017-06-15 at 5:31 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Thanks so much for all of your love and concern! I wasn't very far along and hadn't told many people, so I didn't get a lot of sympathy IRL.  The D&C was much easier than my previous one. I'm old, so probably not going to have another natural pregnancy. We're planning to do IVF with donor embryos soon - more money and uncertainty and likely disappointment, but I have to keep trying.

I'm so sorry for your loss! Take care of yourself! :my_heart:

And a massive good luck with IVF! It is really tough but I will keep all my fingers and toes crossed you're one of the lucky ones!

This part is so sad - and wow the red flags in this post about getting rid of friends, here and in the "I don't need my contacts" bit.

So just as quickly as I prayed that, God started pruning me. Snipping away any branches that were dead, and didn't bear good fruit. He started pruning away people who I once was close with, and causing distance, in that relationship, because quite frankly, I needed to be at home more

I definitely don't believe this part happens - so interesting she frames the whole thing in terms of "this is just me, not you" - and then it's ALL about how *women* need to lose their phones

Right before he restored my factory settings, I pointed to my "Home" screen, at the picture of Mark and I with all our kids.

"See that? I don't want to just post about them growing up. I want to be there, all there, as they grow up. It's one of the most important things I'll ever do."

"Man," he said, "I wish my wife would jump onboard with this! She's on her phone all the time."

I simply responded, "Don't wish. Pray for her. It took me years to get here, and probably took many humble prayers from my husband, that I'll never know about. Each person has their own path. I'm sure she's doing the best she can, just like I'm trying to do."

As recently as two years ago, flip phones were still incredibly popular in Japan. I was almost shocked when I visited seeing so many people using them when it felt like I was in the future! I think only recently (in the last year or so) smartphones have begun to reverse the trend.

I feel bad for the sales person. Someone coming in and making this life altering (should we call it that? I really don't know...) decision and then offering to pray for his wife and wishing him a blessed day seems so strange to me. Is it normal in these areas to have people 'pray for you'? I've only heard that in the context of somebody being ill or passing away etc.

48 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

Is it normal in these areas to have people 'pray for you'? I've only heard that in the context of somebody being ill or passing away etc.

Supernormal in the USA bible belt. I hear it a lot, and have heard it all my life. As an atheist, I just say "thanks" and go on about my day.

29 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Supernormal in the USA bible belt. I hear it a lot, and have heard it all my life. As an atheist, I just say "thanks" and go on about my day.

I have to agree... I think I get told "I'll be praying for you" almost daily. The subject could be anything from a job interview to cancer, that's a common response. 

10 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Three months new to FJ and never noticed Sierra Jo until the most recent episode. Can someone give me a quick rundown on why she's annoying? It was hard for me to get an objective take because I've already been biased against her from reading FJ.

She's like if Pinterest gained semi-sentience and attempted to manifest in human form to establish contact with mankind. She's also 100% extra all of the time.

While I may not have given up my iPhone, I did  stop using all social media platforms nearly three years ago for some of the reasons she listed.  I felt like I wasn't really living life, it was always about what was happening on Facebook or posting that perfect picture on Insta.  I  was so busy taking and posting  pics of moments that I neglected to actually enjoy the important moments in life.  I use my phone mostly for work now and to take pics of the kids, but they're for me and not everyone else.  It's been very liberating and I sometimes feel sad when I'm at events ( a wedding ceremony yesterday) and see people scrolling social media during important moments like the couple saying their vows.  To each his own I suppose. 

7 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

I have to agree... I think I get told "I'll be praying for you" almost daily. The subject could be anything from a job interview to cancer, that's a common response. 

Do you think the person then follows through and actually prays for you or is this just a common statement one makes?  I have never spent any time of note in the Bible Belt.

5 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Also the famewhore part. This girl wishes she was a Duggar.

Maybe someday one of her kids will marry a Duggar. She'd faint with joy. 

10 hours ago, Lurky said:

This part is so sad - and wow the red flags in this post about getting rid of friends, here and in the "I don't need my contacts" bit.

That's what rattled me too.

1 hour ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

Do you think the person then follows through and actually prays for you or is this just a common statement one makes?  I have never spent any time of note in the Bible Belt.

Eh. Who knows? For the most part, if I know the person who says that - meaning, if I know they're super-religious - I would assume that I might warrant a mention in some prayer, some time. Others, it's probably just their way of saying "good luck with that."

2 hours ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

Out here, they often say they'll light a candle for you. I thought it was a figure oif speech until one time a friend came over with soup - she'd seen a mutual friend actually lighting a candle in church 'cos I was sick.

2 hours ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

Hmmmm... I think most people mean it with Intensions to, ice never had someone who say it who I was thought to my self no they won't. But I guess also you can argue what qualifies as a prayer in general.

Good for her, it bothered her and she changed her ways.  Nothing wrong with that!

I fail to see God's hand in this or the need to be soooo dramatic about it.

Geez.

10 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I'm not even in the Bible Belt and that's a common thing to hear around here. As well as people saying "bless you" when you do something they consider kind or whatever.

3 hours ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

I will probably seem really nuts for this, so bear with me. I pray for people, and if I think it will help them to know they are being prayed for I will tell them (because I honestly feel comfort when someone tells me they will pray for me). However, I think it gets used as a phrase and not followed through on sometimes, because you hear it said so often. 

In the past I have had a hard time remembering all the prayers I intended throughout the day, so now if I tell someone I am going to pray for them I make it a point to pray as soon as I get a bit of privacy. 

Thank you for Bering brave and saying so @Minionmayhem. It's always cool to get someone else's perspective.

I'm Pagan personally, so typically the "I'll pray for you" is/has been pretty much, ...well, not an anathema, but certainly a strange and aggressive thing to hear from people (it's a massive no-no in our culture to pray for, or in any way intentionally 'insert yourself' into someone's life that way unless they expressly ask you too). It's at least a little reassuring to hear it is at least kindly meant (however much you want to think nice of people, it's hard in the face of hostility sometimes).

@MadeItOut.  I am Pagan as well.  Merry meet <|:^)

The " I'll pray for you" from stranges can freak me out too.  However, I figure good vibes are good vibes, when I do feel the intent is in fact a good one.  If the "I'll pray for you" gets said because I am disagreeing with that person, I say no thanks!  With a smile on my face.  It's kinda funny to see the look on their faces.  Luckily, where I live, I don't encouter the passive- aggressive one often.

2 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

@MadeItOut.  I am Pagan as well.  Merry meet <|:^)

The " I'll pray for you" from stranges can freak me out too.  However, I figure good vibes are good vibes, when I do feel the intent is in fact a good one.  If the "I'll pray for you" gets said because I am disagreeing with that person, I say no thanks!  With a smile on my face.  It's kinda funny to see the look on their faces.  Luckily, where I live, I don't encouter the passive- aggressive one often.

Merry met.

Good point. I guess we should know intention is all.

20 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Things I would have noticed even without FJ influence... I can't figure out why so many things that could have been done ahead of time were being done at the last minute. The last minute brownies didn't make sense. The dirty smoky ovens made even less sense. All those people and nobody can clean the oven? They can't afford a housekeeper? What the heck? 

My Sierra highlight, if you want to go searching, is when she did the gender reveal with a million painted flamingoes. (Not 100% sure which baby but maybe Marcus?) Watching the Duggar boys paint flamingoes blue, then one of them just dunking the entire bird in the paint ... so funny.  Sierra's reaction when she shows up and all the boys are just dunking flamingoes in tubs of paint ... priceless. 

53 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

typically the "I'll pray for you" is/has been pretty much, ...well, not an anathema, but certainly a strange and aggressive thing to hear from people

I was in hospital last year with a pretty serious thing. All the hospitals in my area are church-affiliated, mostly Catholic. Some woman from their "ministry department" or whatever they called it came to visit me. She said she noted that I had indicated "atheist" on my intake paperwork, but asked if I would pray with her. I said no. Seriously. You can pray for me all day long, and that's just fine - but I'm not going to pray with you to a god I don't believe in.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived