IGNORED

Sierra - Return of the Strawberries and New Babies

choralcrusader8613

4 hours ago, CinnaJen said:

I felt like I wasn't really living life, it was always about what was happening on Facebook or posting that perfect picture on Insta.  I  was so busy taking and posting  pics of moments that I neglected to actually enjoy the important moments in life.

My 26 year old daughter went through all of undergrad and law school without social media. She just graduated and refuses to join. She says it completely robs life of any authenticity. I wish I could do it...

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Nikedagain? said:

My 26 year old daughter went through all of undergrad and law school without social media. She just graduated and refuses to join. She says it completely robs life of any authenticity. I wish I could do it...

I have no intention to go back.  I also manage the social media pages for my company, which changed my perspective quite a bit.  It's completely different when you view social media as a job and see it from the analytics side.  

3 hours ago, Miggy said:

My Sierra highlight, if you want to go searching, is when she did the gender reveal with a million painted flamingoes. (Not 100% sure which baby but maybe Marcus?) Watching the Duggar boys paint flamingoes blue, then one of them just dunking the entire bird in the paint ... so funny.  Sierra's reaction when she shows up and all the boys are just dunking flamingoes in tubs of paint ... priceless. 

I'm pretty sure that was for Meredith, just before 19 k&c was cancelled. 

12 hours ago, CinnaJen said:

While I may not have given up my iPhone, I did  stop using all social media platforms nearly three years ago for some of the reasons she listed.

I bet that the difference is, you didn't then go and make a long, self-important blogpost about why you did it, why God is speaking directly to you and you're the bestest Christian evah,  full of "I'm not judging others who don't do what I do..." caveats, and then making it very, very clear you do!  And basking in all the congratulatory comments!  I completely get ehy some people turn off social media, and it's great, but most people don't then show off about it!

@nickelodeon & @HarleyQuinn I always love your turns of phrase, so perfectly succinct, witty, clever, awesome - thank you!

11 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I was in hospital last year with a pretty serious thing. All the hospitals in my area are church-affiliated, mostly Catholic. Some woman from their "ministry department" or whatever they called it came to visit me. She said she noted that I had indicated "atheist" on my intake paperwork, but asked if I would pray with her. I said no. Seriously. You can pray for me all day long, and that's just fine - but I'm not going to pray with you to a god I don't believe in.

I had serious, long-term health problems, and stayed in two Catholic hospitals. They always asked my permission to pray. It's standard protocol. Room to room. They can't exclude anyone or else that's discrimination. They have a script to work off. We notice you are a (insert religion) and is it okay if we pray for you? I'm an introvert. Some people just don't want a group of people in their room. You can say, "sure, but in the hallway, not in my room." Or no. Or yes. Whatever you want. But they can't skip you for being an atheist. It's against their rules of inclusion. 

34 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

is it okay if we pray for you?

If she had said "for" - I'd have given that ok, as I've mentioned above when someone says "I'll pray for you."

She didn't. She said "pray with." 

Huge difference. YUGE....

17 hours ago, CinnaJen said:

While I may not have given up my iPhone, I did  stop using all social media platforms nearly three years ago for some of the reasons she listed. 

This is how I should start. Step by step. 

31 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

If she had said "for" - I'd have given that ok, as I've mentioned above when someone says "I'll pray for you."

She didn't. She said "pray with." 

Huge difference. YUGE....

True. "For" and "With" are very different. 

I didn't want you to think you were being targeted for being an atheist. They ask everybody.

19 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

True. "For" and "With" are very different. 

I didn't want you to think you were being targeted for being an atheist. They ask everybody.

Nope, never felt targeted. But thank you for making sure of that. (Seriously - THANK YOU - if everyone could be so kind!!!) I'd give you a side-hug if you were in my RL. lol

Holy crap. did you notice that Sierra said that her cell phone bill has gone from $200 a month to $60?  Girl, with yet another kiddo on the way, you totally needed to cut back on your media. But you didn't need to turn it into an epic story suitable of staging at Sight & Sound Theater.

And I this is total BEC, but I had a super hard time reading Sierra's wood grained background post on my computer.

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

And I this is total BEC, but I had a super hard time reading Sierra's wood grained background post on my computer.

and this is why I didn't read it.  What's wrong with a white background ? 

I find that people can be a little obsessed with their phones, I can gt involved in mine and forget about the world around me as well. However, I can also put it down and read a great book, watch a great movie, or take a day at the beach. I want to take my phone to take pictures, that's ok. It's fine if Sierra doesn't want an iPhone or if she can't afford the iPhone anymore. However, the holier than thou attitude of "I am better than you because I gave up my iPhone" is complete and utter bullshit. 

15 hours ago, Beermeet said:

If the "I'll pray for you" gets said because I am disagreeing with that person, I say no thanks!

I don't live in the Bible Belt, so I rarely hear, "I'll pray for you," unless someone is insulting your way of thinking. It's really snarky and condescending. I usually respond, "please don't."

16 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

it's a massive no-no in our culture to pray for, or in any way intentionally 'insert yourself' into someone's life that way unless they expressly ask you too

I completely agree with this. 

I have a friend who doesn't think she's on her phone that much.  I'm truly not, I miss texts, calls, etc. all the time, use very few apps on it and it's usually in my purse!   I do use it for traffic daily, will check emails  and sometimes bank ocassionally, but, not social media, games, etc.  I do spend a couple of hours a day on my laptop though in all fairness.

However, when 3 of us went on a girls trip, oh my freaking hell, she woke up and first thing she grabbed was her phone.  It was in her hand almost all day, every day.  From texting her BF, taking pictures and posting them on social media, checking on FB, snapchats, games, I couldn't even believe it.   We would go out to eat and the two of them were face into their phones until the food came, insane!    OMG the selfies too, multiple daily and changes picture profiles constantly!

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

I find that people can be a little obsessed with their phones, I can gt involved in mine and forget about the world around me as well. However, I can also put it down and read a great book, watch a great movie, or take a day at the beach

I'm one of those the cell phone is around here somewhere kind of people.  At the moment I probably need to go find it.  It's useful, but will never be my life.  How on earth did she get a $200 monthly bill without being on her phone constantly and how do you that with even one child?

28 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

I'm one of those the cell phone is around here somewhere kind of people.  At the moment I probably need to go find it.  It's useful, but will never be my life.  How on earth did she get a $200 monthly bill without being on her phone constantly and how do you that with even one child?

Yeah--Sierra, if your cell bill was $200 , you were doing something wrong.  I think that she has a really difficult time saying that she/her family can no longer afford something. She is so entrenched in this "I'm a perfect fundy Christian wife and because I pray a lot and idolize my husband God will always provide everything we need" mindset.

Sierra, admitting that you needed to cut costs does not mean you are losing your faith in your husband's ability to provide, or in God. It just means you are making rational adult decisions.

The Lord helps those who help themselves.

40 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Yeah--Sierra, if your cell bill was $200 , you were doing something wrong.  ... snipped

The Lord helps those who help themselves.

Exactly, $140 a month can make a huge difference in a family's finances. Perhaps her husband should rethink his expenditures on a smart phone as well, how about you pray for that.   Really, none of us need a smart phone, but, we choose to have one and we choose how much we use it and spend on it.

I applaud her if it saves that much money and she feels it pulls her away from her family, but, to say she'll pray for others to make the same decision.  How bout you worry about yourself and let others make the decision that is best for their lives ... you know, kind of like religion and their belief in God ... oh that's right, their way or no way!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying that you have to cut costs. If suddenly that $200 isn't doable, then it isn't. There's nothing wrong with taking a step back. However, please stop kidding yourself, it's not for Jesus. 

On 7/1/2017 at 0:31 PM, candygirl200413 said:

I like to balance it out though! I usually have a cut-off time where I take off my phone each night and just read a book or knit, just something that isn't using electricity. Sort of the same in the morning, but I'm usually running first thing which I use my iPod (do people still have those? I get made fun of even though I just don't want all this space of music on my phone). It did take me a while mind you, but I like to look at the balance of things.

Also I don't really get her logic because I thought she still uses Mark's phone for things like live instagram.

I do the same thing! I usually put my kiddo to bed, watch an episode of Parks and Rec with the husband and then either read or do crossword puzzles or word searches (in book form, not an app!) it makes me feel like I'm keeping my mind sharp and it's a good way to wind down!

I just read her blog. Holy crap, I can't believe they were spending $200/month (unclear if this was their shared plan or Sierra alone) with five kids and one working parent. That's more than what I pay for groceries! I truly can't believe what kind of data they must be gobbling up. Are they streaming TLC all day long? With five young kids you'd think S. would be at home most of the day where She can hook up their home wifi. I pay $60/month for 1g since I can link up to wifi at home and work. I have literally never once gone over my limit, so this is just staggering to me.

another thing that stood out to me...these people Must be on a budget, yet when her husband called her at the store, he was surprised To hear that she was upgrading and was  just like good for you! Uh your wife is seemingly upgrading an already expensive phone for no reason at all (she didn't mention it was broken or anything), and he doesn't blink? Go ahead, honey, spend needless money, your kids don't need college anyway.

her speech to the employee pointing to the Home button seemed fake to me, something you'd see on a Disney show when the Lesson is revealed.

6 hours ago, HereticHick said:

What kind of crackers and do you have enough to share? If not, I have a box, too... Seriously, that background makes it hard to read.

Paying that much amazed me. I think the cost of my phone on a family plan is $30 a month? And I don't go over the limit because I'm home most of the time, so I can just connect to our Wi-Fi.

I think I'm paying about $60 for my share of a family plan that includes multiple iPhones (the Devil's tool, y'all) so I honestly don't know what Sierra was doing with her phone. It apparently didn't have an app that showed her how to mail shard-free cupcakes, so good riddance to it.

Tracfone. I bought my smart phone for about $100 from Amazon and pay about $7 per month. I don't use it for the internet much, as we have WiFi at home. It's really for texting the wolf cubs and letting Mr. Wolf know when I'll be home so he can put the kettle on.

My family uses a service called Ting.  We spend roughly $60 per month for three people.  No contract, and you only pay for the data you use, no overages.

To me, $200 seems like a crazy amount to pay for your cell phone bill. I pay about $50 for unlimited data and text + calls. I really didn't take it though that she can't afford the bill. I think it really was just about the level of distraction that her iPhone was causing her. Her flip phone sounds like a great solution, for her. But the dialogue she wrote did sound really forced and sanctimonious, especially with the store clerk. I could care less about whether she thinks God called her to prune distractions from her life- it seems harmless enough. It's more the holier-than-thou tone of the moral of her story (I follow God's wishes- what do you do?). However, the fact that Sierra admits to normal human failings (in a couple earlier posts she said she threw her keys at her husband during a fight)- I'd take that any day over the Duggars. JB and Michelle really act like they've never made a mistake since they went all fundie.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived