IGNORED

Jana's Future 4 - Family Ties

choralcrusader8613

I agree with @luxfilia. I'm sure JimBob and the Duggars perpetrate all kinds of problematic behavior, but religion is the main focus. They have non-white friends, so they probably don't think of themselves as racist, and I doubt they would actively prevent a relationship purely based on race. Perhaps there would be other reasons to prevent a relationship, but JimBob would never outright admit it was because of race. You guys remember when they went to the predominantly black church and looked super uncomfortable the entire time, but only said polite things? Yeah, that episode stuck out to me.

Basically, I think it's certainly possible for one of the Duggar kids to marry a non-white person, and I expect all kinds of microaggressions and cringe-worthy moments from JimBob because of it.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think being Hispanic would be a deal breaker for the Duggars, Josiah's ex was  half Guatemalan. If anything, having a Hispanic on their side would be a plus, since both the Dillards and Vuolos focus on redeeming wayward brown people. I will be shocked if they marry any other race though. For some reason, I think the Duggar guys would be more likely to date outside their race than their sisters.

They're racist. It's a new-age colourblind "we're all equal, why can't you leave the past in the past" type of racism. Where brown people are accepted only if they adhere to the Christian culture (which is inheriently pro-white and racist) they claim is right.

They'll allow brown and black people, but only the "right" kind. These 'righteous' POC friends become a token and symbol of the saving power of Christianity and, ironically, the idea that race is irrelevant.

Examples of this include:

1. Jeremy's "we should all be brothers and sisters in Christ and leave behind our differences" sermon

2. Cultural insensitivity and stereotyping whenever the Duggars go abroad (i.e: the entire motherfucking Asia trip)

3. Ethiopian restaurant debacle. 

4. Prostelyzing in Danger America

5. Support for Trump

6. Cathy Dillard's twitter.

7. Duggar rules about dancing and music with a beat (anti- blackness is real there)

8. Their support of political candidates like Santorum and Huckabee.

9. Their visible discomfort with, or infantilizing of, interacting with any group of brown/black people.

10. The idea to name one of the male children after a confederate officer during one of Michelle's pregnancies (I forget the name)

11. Their lack of understanding of how systemic racism works (not limited to the Duggars, too many white people are like this)

I could go on but you get the idea. 

I have no idea how or when JB's bias will come into play wirh relationships. However, he'd never admit it.

6 hours ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

Also, weren't the Duggars at one point genuinely contemplating adopting a baby from El Salvador?

The Duggars have prattled on endlessly about their hearts for children and being open to adoption.  Thus far, their hearts for adoption have resulted in bringing in one child, Tyler, who was already a part of the family.  JB and J'Chelle are as serious about adoption as Jessa and Ben are, which means that if you think they'll be bringing home a baby of color...don't hold your breath.  Jinger marrying Jeremy The Italian was a huge cultural moment for the family.  

4 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Just because they have Asian and Black friends, or they were claiming to contemplate adopting a Latino child, doesn't mean they are not racist. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  One can absolutely be incredibly racist, even if one has some friends of color.  

2 hours ago, Eatingintheprayercloset said:

For some reason, I think the Duggar guys would be more likely to date outside their race than their sisters.

The men and boys of the Duggar clan must defend and protect the sacred white vagina.  

ETA: But the Duggarling men are Christian enough to handle different cultures, to a limited extent.  Marjorie's half-(what was it?), with her pale skin, similar religion, and Arkansas upbringing, was fine.  Plus, women marrying into the family would move closer to their husbands, versus the Duggar women having to cleave to their new husbands and relocate for them. Patriarchy still reigns supreme, but racism and unconscious bias are close behind.  

2 hours ago, Greendoor said:

I am fairly sure Bob Jones University considered itself not be be racist, just really good God following Christian.

I absolutely agree.  JB is an old Baptist boy from the south.  Are people truly thinking that one of his super-special daughters might be wed to a man of darker skin?  For the record, I don't think either JB or J'Chelle considers themselves racist, but JB roaming through Japan saying "gracias" indicates some real issues with understanding people of other cultures.  Again, I don't think they think that they're racist, but they're also huge tRump supporters, and those folks are racist to their cores, even if they don't want to admit it.  I'd be happy to eat my sock if proven wrong, but I've seen zero evidence to the contrary.

Cross-posted with @Jinder Roles, but you are spot on.  Exactly.

2 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

They're racist. It's a new-age colourblind "we're all equal, why can't you leave the past in the past" type of racism. Where brown people are accepted only if they adhere to the Christian culture (which is inheriently pro-white and racist) they claim is right.

They'll allow brown and black people, but only the "right" kind. These 'righteous' POC friends become a token and symbol of the saving power of Christianity and, ironically, the idea that race is irrelevant.

Examples of this include:

Look, I'm not saying they're not racist. But I am saying that, based on the list you gave, they have no more racial biases than at least half of America, subconscious or otherwise. They'll openly embrace people of color, but can't hide their discomfort with situations they're not familiar with. I grew up in an all white suburb and it took me years to fully understand my privilege and the cultural divide. Welcome to America.

1 hour ago, snickers34 said:

Look, I'm not saying they're not racist. But I am saying that, based on the list you gave, they have no more racial biases than at least half of America, subconscious or otherwise. They'll openly embrace people of color, but can't hide their discomfort with situations they're not familiar with. I grew up in an all white suburb and it took me years to fully understand my privilege and the cultural divide. Welcome to America.

Um, I never said you said they're not racist. My post wasn't directed at any one person. 

I was making a general post about racism and and Duggars because there was discussion about how much it matters/ if JB will allow inter-racial relationships etc.

And I'm well aware of how a lot of Americans hold racial bias without realizing/caring. I've been on the receiving end for almost 4 years. 

I think the girls would be more likely to marry someone of a different ethnicity, culture or race, vs the the boys, as their children would not be "Duggars."

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I think the girls would be more likely to marry someone of a different ethnicity, culture or race, vs the the boys, as their children would not be "Duggars."

See, I was leaning towards the boys being more likely to marry someone of a different race because the women are less 'intimidating' and have to submit to the will of their husbands. 

But honestly, I have no idea how it will go. Or even if it will happen. 

11 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Um, I never said you said they're not racist. My post wasn't directed at any one person. 

Thanks for this. My figure of speech wasn't clear - I wasn't taking it directed at just me.

@amandaariesMarjorie is half-Guatemalan, if I remember right. I believe her mother immigrated to the states from there. Ashley Salyer - Nathan Bates' ex-girlfriend/possibly current girlfriend - is part Dominican. So it appears at the very least that the Bates and Duggar families don't rule out courtships between their sons and Hispanic women. 

My personal thoughts? I think that neither family would be thrilled if a child began courting someone who can't at least pass for white or part white. And because most of the courtships likely went through the standard "must get dad's approval" process, I find it unlikely we'd see one in the first place. I do think religion and beliefs are probably the bigger issue for them - no way anyone other than the "right" kind of Christian is getting the ok - but I would be seriously surprised if one of their kids announced a courtship with a black man or woman.

Even if a family like the Duggars adopted a black child, that wouldn't mean they're not racist. They would raise them in the same white Christian culture Jinder Roles described. 

Spoiler

IMG_4164.thumb.PNG.6fd453303d0386c5f260635bc28d35dc.PNG

This is my first time attempting to use the spoiler button so I hope this works. Jonathan Hartono appears to be heading back home, my question is: how is this picture even remotely modest? 

I don't know if the Duggars are racist or not.

I do have an IFB background and am from the deep south. First, IFB churches aren't affiliated with each other (note: independent) and so there's a lot of variability between one church and another. Yes, with that said there are blanket beliefs like "Baptists are the best!" and "KJV or bust!" and so on. With that said, of the IFB churches I have attended, there have always been black and Hispanic members. The IFB church closest to me has an additional Hispanic pastor that offers services in Spanish in addition to the services offered in English. Within 10min driving distance to my house I can attend more than one all Spanish-speaking or predominately black IFB churches. 

I have been in Baptist churches all my life (hard-shell, IFB, & SBC) and have never heard anything about the mark of Cain or races being inferior or superior in any context. The only place I've seen that reference is on the internet. With that said, I will return to my earlier point where I mention variance and will allow the possibility that it was taught or believed somewhere. And what a gross thing to be teaching amongst people.  

I'm just going to state again, I've never heard that. Ever. 

Jonathan Hartono appears to be heading back home, my question is: how is this picture even remotely modest? 

Omg, things I didn't need to see. Wow.

6 hours ago, BirthingGodsWarriors said:

This is my first time attempting to use the spoiler button so I hope this works. Jonathan Hartono appears to be heading back home, my question is: how is this picture even remotely modest? 

It's not. Holy crap.  My eyessssss! :faint:

1 hour ago, missegeno said:

Omg, things I didn't need to see. Wow.

We can share a bottle of bleach

7 hours ago, BirthingGodsWarriors said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Jonathan Hartono appears to be heading back home

Guess he's not staying for Joys wedding. 

I know a fundie family where the father is Latino. The wife acts really weird about it, though, and seems kind of embarrassed that her kids are Latino. The husband speaks Spanish but none of the kids do and the kids don't seem particularly connected to Latino culture. My mom asked once if their daughter would have a quinceanara (since they were just talking about going to one for one of the husband's relatives) and the wife said no and seemed horrified by the idea.

Incidentally, they've become close to the Duggars because the Duggars really helped the family out. Since befriending the family, though, the Duggars have put a lot of pressure on them to become even more fundie.

There's a very large Latino population in NWA (also the largest Marshallese population outside the Marshall Islands, which is an interesting bit of trivia) and a lot of people are really racist against Latinos. Most people wouldn't consider themselves racist and know better than to say blatantly racist things about black people (note that I'm not saying they aren't racist against black people, just that they know not to be blatant about it), but will say absolutely horrible things about Latinos.

16 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I know a fundie family where the father is Latino. The wife acts really weird about it, though, and seems kind of embarrassed that her kids are Latino.

Incidentally, they've become close to the Duggars because the Duggars really helped the family out. Since befriending the family, though, the Duggars have put a lot of pressure on them to become even more fundie.

Interesting. I'm curious to know specifically what ways they pressure them to be more fundie?

22 hours ago, BirthingGodsWarriors said:
  Reveal hidden contents

My eyes. NIKE!

7 hours ago, snickers34 said:

Interesting. I'm curious to know specifically what ways they pressure them to be more fundie?

Well, after homeschooling for many years they sent some of their kids to public school and the Duggars really didn't like that at all. I know there was something about how the girls in particular needed to stay home, but I don't remember the details.

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 4:23 PM, BirthingGodsWarriors said:

Jonathan Hartono appears to be heading back home...

... and he seems to be very happy about that :pearlclutching:

About Jonathan's Linkedin where he states to have done a bunch of odd jobs for JB... Over and over again one has to wonder what on Earth JB's own numerous teen/adult sons do on a daily basis. Why the hell does he need other people to cut his grass, organize his storage facilities, and clean his toilets, when he has umpteen capable menfolk hanging around at home?!

On 5/19/2017 at 6:23 AM, BirthingGodsWarriors said:
  Hide contents

Oh my heck is this defrauding

So many desires that cannot be righteously fulfilled

And I didn't even bare my shoulders!!!!

5 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

... and he seems to be very happy about that :pearlclutching:

About Jonathan's Linkedin where he states to have done a bunch of odd jobs for JB... Over and over again one has to wonder what on Earth JB's own numerous teen/adult sons do on a daily basis. Why the hell does he need other people to cut his grass, organize his storage facilities, and clean his toilets, when he has umpteen capable menfolk hanging around at home?!

With the deep wisdom and holy curiosity that I possess, I have posted her a number of times that I would like to know what Bin does all day for "work". 

I would like to know. Not that it is my business. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived